Reading owners manual would have saved me $$$$$

debbyzog

I recently bought a 2020 Edge SE which is a base unit but has a technology package. I didn’t care about leather seats but I did want CarPlay and a bigger screen, so this is a perfect fit. 
First time it rained, I put the wipers on “intermittent “ and they seemed to do whatever they wanted, including turning off. My assumption was that the wiper switch was bad so I spent $84.00 for a new one. It took about 1/2 hour to install the new part into the steering column. 
Unfortunately, the results were exactly the same. So, I figured that the wiper relay was bad, so I bought one for another $8.00. 
Once again, I had random wiper operation on any setting of the intermittent switch. 
Frustrated, I read the owners manual and found that my car had the “rain sensing wiper” option. I found that there is a setting to turn “rain sensing” on or off. Upon checking the settings on the dash, I found it ON. So, I turned it OFF and all my problems were solved. I feel sooo dumb!!!! Hail to the owners manual!

• Like 2

always, always, always RTFM

on another note, i have never driven a car where the rain sensing system works as well as i would expect it to, including my edge. they wipe when they don't need to and don't wipe when they need to. i've checked everything but the results are still not satisfactory.

• Like 2

The 2020 SE has no packages, it comes standard with the 8 inch SYNC 3 unit and front rain sensing wipers.

I also think that I would have been okay with an SE as I got used to SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto, but the SEL had enough of the additional standard and options that I like it, I would love HD radio and the better B&O radio, the forward sensing system, acoustic side windows, etc, but with the Assist+ and Convenience Packages, I get close.

Edge Workshop Manual partial diagnostic Pinpoint Test relating to Rain Sensor/Windshield Wiper effectiveness...

F5 CHECK THE WINDSHIELD FOR DAMAGE
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Inspect the windshield glass for any cracks, pits or other visible damage around the area of the rain sensor.

Is any windshield damage present near the area of the rain sensor?

Yes INSTALL a new windshield. REFER to: Windshield Glass (501-11 Glass, Frames and Mechanisms, Removal and Installation).
No GO to F6

F6 CHECK THE WINDSHIELD GLASS FOR STREAKING
  • Ignition ON.
  • Turn the wiper/washer switch to the low speed wiper setting and while applying water to the windshield surface. Observe the wipe quality, especially around the area of the rain sensor.

Is any streaking present on the windshield around the area of the rain sensor?

Yes GO to F7
No GO to F9

F7 CHECK THE WINDSHIELD WIPER BLADES FOR STREAKING
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Clean the windshield glass with glass cleaner.
  • Clean the wiper blades with isopropyl alcohol swabs. Wipe the entire length of the wiper blades.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Place the wiper/washer switch to the low speed wiper setting and while applying water to the windshield surface. Observe the wipe quality, especially around the area of the rain sensor.

Was there noticeable improvement in the wipe quality after cleaning the glass and the wiper blades?

Yes GO to F8
No INSTALL new wiper blades. GO to F8

F8 RECHECK THE RAIN SENSITIVE WIPERS OPERATION
  • Place the wiper/washer switch to the auto/intermittent 5 setting (most sensitive to moisture) while applying water on the windshield above the rain sensor.

Do the wipers operate when water is applied to the windshield surface?

Yes The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by poor wipe quality on the windshield around the rain sensor.
No GO to F9

F9 CHECK FOR THE PRESENCE OF THE LENS GEL
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Lightly press the rain sensor against the windshield and release the rain sensor clips.

Does the rain sensor remain adhered to the windshield?

Yes ATTACH the retaining clips. GO to F10
No The sensor gel-type lens is missing or damaged. INSTALL a new rain sensor.
REFER to: Rain Sensor (501-16 Wipers and Washers, Removal and Installation).

F10 INSPECT THE RAIN SENSOR MOUNTING AREA

NOTE: The rain sensor gel-type lens can be damaged or contaminated during rain sensor removal, rain sensor bracket separation or incorrect installation.

• From the outside of the vehicle, inspect the area of the windshield glass where the rain sensor is mounted. The rain sensor contact area should appear black, with no bubbles, air pockets or contaminants between the windshield glass and the rain sensor.

Does the rain sensor contact area appear black, with no bubbles, air pockets or contaminants between the windshield glass and the rain sensor?

Yes GO to F11
No REMOVE and INSTALL the rain sensor correctly.
REFER to: Rain Sensor (501-16 Wipers and Washers, Removal and Installation).

Document download link> 

Rain Sensor - Removal and Installation - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Interior Rear View Mirror - Removal and Installation - 2020 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2

How would a powertrain warranty cover wipers? Bumper to Bumper is 3/36k.

Either way, I think they just were just venting on a misdiagnosis and some out of pocket costs associated with it, and turned it into a learning experience.

I am maybe 30% into the features my SEL has that my 2017 Escape didn't have, and that last 1% that I don't know about are the toughest ones.

• 1 year later...