2020 SE aftermarket fog lights

Has anyone been successful with modifying an SE with those bumper 'place-holders' where higher trims have OEM fog lights?  I would like to put fog lights in those spots.  However, I am learning that attempting to put OEMs in there would be pretty costly.  I also do not want to have to remove the bumper cover if possible.  Wondering if anyone has either discovered an easy aftermarket solution or has had luck with a DIY custom job.  It seems like the angle of this area would make it difficult to slap a basic aftermarket setup. 
Any insight and advice would be much appreciated!

IMG_1009.jpg

The OEM ones are a weird shape that only take up a slot on the outer edge. Probably cost prohibitive and some parts like the cover are on back order, to replace them with OEM fog lights ($105 each), the mounts ($140 each), and the cover ($170 each). They are pretty effective, they seem to fill a lot of the area that the weird OEM LED headlights leave shadows.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dabangsta said:

The OEM ones are a weird shape that only take up a slot on the outer edge. Probably cost prohibitive and some parts like the cover are on back order, to replace them with OEM fog lights ($105 each), the mounts ($140 each), and the cover ($170 each). They are pretty effective, they seem to fill a lot of the area that the weird OEM LED headlights leave shadows.

Thank you for the info, dabangsta!

If you'd like to research used parts as an alternative to new, the Car-Part.com salvage yard search engine might yield a source in your area.

Most listings provide photos of the donor vehicle & offered part, its condition grading & pricing, as well as contact information for the selling salvage yard.

In my area, pricing varied widely, from $45 to $85 to $235 per left or right assembly -- so make sure you know exactly what you'd be getting for your money.

image.png.85cc31c70bfc4fc3c5b33331021e47f3.png

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the info!

More questions ?

I found some OEM assemblies online.  Looks to have both the lights and trim.

Does anyone know:

• Will there be wiring underneath already for an Edge that didn't come with the fog lights originally?  Hoping it will be plug & play.
  • I believe the headlight switch would have to be changed also, any insight on that?
  • Do I need to remove the bumper fascia to install these, or can these be accessed from underneath?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

I can answer the first one. No.

They only pre-wire if it's a dealer installed option. And then the wiring harness would be part of the add-on accessory, never left hanging on the car.

These lights are not offered as a dealer add-on, so they are not going to waste $$$ installing wiring that will (almost) never get used.

4 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I can answer the first one. No.

They only pre-wire if it's a dealer installed option. And then the wiring harness would be part of the add-on accessory, never left hanging on the car.

These lights are not offered as a dealer add-on, so they are not going to waste $$$ installing wiring that will (almost) never get used.

Hate to break it to you but this does happen and isn't that uncommon as it is easier to have a single standard harness for all packages and just worry about the actual options that go on the vehicle and not mess with which harness it gets. It doesn't happen on all and may not be the case with the edge but has been found on vehicles I've worked on. Assembly line production allows for some things not to be cut out because of efficiency in assembly time, which reduces cost overall even if it means some increase in cost of materials.

I've seen harnesses like that as well, but usually only on cars that has the accessory as a dealer option. Just can't see Ford throwing in extra, unused wire on thousands of vehicles that were never designed to use these lights. 

If this was offered as an option by the dealer, it would be cheaper to offer a kit, lights, wire, etc. than run wiring to an empty spot and just hang there. They watch stuff like this closely. Say 6' of 16 ga copper wire × 150,000 cars. That will never be used.

Easiest way to tell is to check the harness part numbers for the Edge that gets the lights and the one that doesn’t. They will be different if the wiring is different. 

Or just dig around in the area with a flashlight and look for open connectors.

4 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

I've seen harnesses like that as well, but usually only on cars that has the accessory as a dealer option. Just can't see Ford throwing in extra, unused wire on thousands of vehicles that were never designed to use these lights. 

If this was offered as an option by the dealer, it would be cheaper to offer a kit, lights, wire, etc. than run wiring to an empty spot and just hang there. They watch stuff like this closely. Say 6' of 16 ga copper wire × 150,000 cars. That will never be used.

Maybe that's the case, most recent one I seen was a 2007 volvo and it had the connectors for the fog lights with no foglights, even had holes for the connectors to clip into when unused so they didn't just swing around. Found it in some gmc doors too for power locks or windows can't remember which, but typically those aren't dealer options. 

I do agree though look up the harnesses or just get in there and look. It's possible to have them or possibly need to buy a small harness that connects to a breakout connector in the front as sometimes they make the harness modular.