2011 Edge Cooling Fans not running

I have a 2011 Edge with the 3.5L V6 and neither cooling fan is running, either with the AC in MAX or when the car gets up to normal temp.  This is obviously causing it to try to overheat when the car is not moving, and the AC doesn't blow very cold unless the car is in motion.  I know the fans fail, and the controller sometimes fails.  Question is in troubleshooting.  I will have to take part of the air box off to get to the connector for the fan controller, but when I have it off I assume that I should have 12V going to the controller?  And then have 12V coming out of the controller would tell me that it is good and it's just the fans that have failed?  If I don't have 12V, assuming that I should, going to the controller, what should I look for upstream of it?  I have no issue replacing the parts, but I don't really want to spend money for the fun of it :)  Thanks in advance, and if I'm incorrect about that could you let me know what I should be looking for?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the references.  My fan controller only has 1 out that splits to both fans.  When I looked at it I didn't have any power going in to the controller.  So in frustration I gave the top of the fuse block a thump and the fans both came on.  Now it is intermittent, sometimes they run as they should and sometimes they don't.  And further messing with the fuse block don't seem at have any effect. Any ideas?  Also, looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see any input from the PCM to the fan controller on the vehicle.  I have a 2 wire input and a 2 wire output to the fans, and that is all that I see.