Adaptive Cruise Malfunction

danwdc

I bought a 2013 Ford Edge Limited AWD last June with a warning the reads "Collision Warning Not Available." When I try to turn on the cruise control, I get a warning that says "Adaptive Cruise Not Available." Both show up on the screen to left of the steering wheel. I replaced the cruise control distance sensor with a Dorman 601-726, leveled it, and set it with a drive with Forscan. Forscan said the calibration was successful. But no change with the 2 alarms and cruise control won't turn on. When I go to the driver assist menu, the adaptive cruise control setting is highlighted lighter than the rest of the options, and when I select it, I am unable to turn off adaptive cruise control. 

I really don't care if the collision warning or adaptive cruise control work or not, I just want regular cruise control and get rid of the warning lights. 

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum, danwdc !

The following sections from the 2013 Edge Workshop Manual describe the components and operation of the Adaptive Cruise Control & Forward Collision Warning systems, as well as provide extensive diagnostic procedures guided by Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and using Parameter Identifiers (PIDs), in most cases.

If your efforts progress to applying specific Pinpoint Test routines requiring wiring diagrams and electrical connector circuit details and locations, I can provide you those informational resources.

Document download links>

Cruise Control — Adaptive - Description and Operation - 2013 Edge-MKX Workshop Manual.pdf

Cruise-Control Module (C-CM) - Removal and Installation - 2013 Edge-MKX Workshop Manual.pdf

Cruise Control Module (C-CM) (with Sensor) Adjustment - General Procedures - 2013 Edge-MKX Workshop Manual.pdf

Cruise Control - Diagnosis and Testing - 2013 Edge-MKX Workshop Manual.pdf

Forward Collision Warning - Description and Operation - 2013 Edge-MKX Workshop Manual.pdf

Forward Collision Warning - Diagnosis and Testing - 2013 Edge-MKX Workshop Manual.pdf

For comparison to your 2013 Edge's left-side Information Screen, the following photos show the menu structure in our similarly equipped (and also GEN 1+) 2015 MKX...

999267176_2015MKXLeftSideInfoScreen-MainMenuSelectionsIncludingDriverAssistSubMenu.jpg.79ebc5d6beb1406fc6651bfda0ac8296.jpg

1098455719_2015MKXLeftSideInfoScreen-DriverAssistMenutoCruiseControlSubMenu.jpg.f364d42f9ffb6ab77bb4f1385e8185de.jpg

1768962966_2015MKXLeftSideInfoScreen-CruiseControlSubMenu-AdaptiveNormalSelections.jpg.533fc75a971f670f8790bb07e0bc0df7.jpg

1094898050_2015MKXLeftSideInfoScreen-CruiseControlSubMenu-NormalCruiseSelected.jpg.3489775342190447b30104c1c5957265.jpg

After Normal is selected, the following Warning Message appears, accompanied by a Warning Chime...

1248243937_2015MKXLeftSideInfoScreen-CruiseControlSubMenu-WarningMessageWithToneAfterNormalCruiseIsSelected.jpg.6ac5bb0a485c6366b29f33ac7a35e9d9.jpg

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply. 

When I get the the screen in your second picture, I can't select anything. The Cruise Control selection is greyed out and won't let me proceed. I think I need to add my vehicle VIN to the new cruise control distance sensor with Forcan. I am new to Forscan, and can't figure out how to add the VIN.

Any help would be great. Either to add the VIN or delete the adaptive cruise control.

7 hours ago, danwdc said:

Thanks for the reply. 

When I get the the screen in your second picture, I can't select anything. The Cruise Control selection is greyed out and won't let me proceed. I think I need to add my vehicle VIN to the new cruise control distance sensor with Forcan. I am new to Forscan, and can't figure out how to add the VIN.

Any help would be great. Either to add the VIN or delete the adaptive cruise control.

Not being able to select anything, tells me maybe someone changed some configurations (As Built Data), hence why it is greyed out. This is a guess only.

For programming the VIN, it would be easier to just download the factory As-Built Data (ABD) from MotorCraft Service site (link) and then use the restore function in ForScan. Do it for all modules you suspect have been altered, at-least for the CCM, IPC & BCM (Cruise Control, Instrument Cluster & Body Control) modules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

danwdc: You're correct that the Dorman replacement Cruise Control Module (CCM) you installed needs to be programmed with the same As-Built data that was contained in the original CCM you removed.

If you did not save those values from the original CCM before removing it, you can use the Ford Service Info website to review and/or save the entire set of As-Built data values for the electronic modules in your 2013 Edge Limited AWD, and then use a temporary-licensed or fully-licensed copy of Forscan to manually program the Dorman replacement CCM using the address 764-01-01 As-Built values and then save them to the installed Dorman replacement CCM.

As omar302 advises, go to https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt, and after selecting your Country/Language, submit the form...

1312416893_FordServiceCountry-Language-InputPage.thumb.jpg.2e83f4bc5ea0c729f6883bec8b8f244a.jpg

...input your Edge's VIN and the Security Check captcha value and submit the second form...

756912137_FordServiceAs-BuiltVIN-InputPage.thumb.jpg.aac57e1bec14d58a4eab5f6c4a400558.jpg

...and the resulting As-Built Report for your Edge allows you to Download File an .AB electronic data file that includes the electronic programming for all modules, and the web page provides the same complete data set in text format for you to print for visual reference...

317724593_FordServiceAs-BuiltDataReportwithABformatDownloadFilebutton.thumb.jpg.a8e91ab3cb4bfe77fa6db4caa1edb761.jpg

I surveyed Cruise Control Module As-Built data for ten 2013 Edge Limited AWD vehicles offered for sale online, and I found two different programming values in use...

image.png.6c0f4844dd9493f13bc56e5e747c1ed3.png

image.png.217824d7bb061501aac58160b257964f.png

...so it is absolutely necessary for you to obtain CCM As -Built data by submitting your Edge's VIN to the Ford Service Info website.

Forscan probably shows this Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) in the CCM, which you will want to clear if it remains after performing a CCM Self Test after programming the Dorman replacement CCM...

U2100:00 Initial Configuration Not Complete: No Sub Type Information

Document download link> Module Configuration - Diagnosis and Testing - 2013 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Success!! My cruise control is fully functional, including adaptive cruise control. Before, when my cruise wasn't working, I would get "Collision Warning Not Available" every time I started my car. 

Collision Warning Not Available.jpg

I went to C-CM, loaded factory AB. (Let FORScan find it.) Saved it. Write it. Followed the instructions for turning car off and on. It worked. 5 minutes. The numbers at the top of the FORScan picture did change to the correct 0201 and 70. I don't remember what they were before, but I saved it just in case.  

Forscan CCM.jpg

First time I've had working cruise control since I bought this car last June. Adaptive works great too. And I can turn it off or on. 

Cruise Control Works!.jpg

No warnings when I start the car, for the first time since I have had this car. I do really like it. I am glad it's fully functional. I also had a problem with the car starting or turning on accessory mode on it's own, and the battery running down. Replaced the control panel under the center screen, which fixed all that. 

I wish I would have tried FORScan before replacing a $430 part. I may not have needed it, but it's done and working. I've seen the part on Ford OEM sites for around $1500, and read estimates of $1000 to $1400 to have a Ford service shop program it. I tried to buy the part off eBay, but it was difficult to find the right part number. Either way, I saved at least $2000.

Thanks for the great replies to my post. I am truly very appreciative of all the help.

Edited by danwdc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great news! Glad you came back and documented the success, some very awesome resources available here for sure, and end result helps out just as much.

Adaptive cruise really is nice on those 10-12 hour drives, even more so on my 2019 with stop and go and lane centering. I don't pay less attention driving, but it help me focus a little less, and helps correct some of my bad behaviors, like running too close to a slower vehicle ahead of me. I will change lanes sooner so it doesn't put on the whoa and slow me down a lot, but if it does I don't over react and force my way into the other lane.

• Like 3

I've read a lot of forum posts for many different topics. It's frustrating when people don't respond with positive outcomes. So if someone sees this in 5 years with a similar problem, they will know my outcome. Even if they don't use my technique, the other posts on this thread provide great information. They really did a nice job.

I used my adaptive cruise tonight for the first time ever. It was real nice. I commute 24 miles each way in Minneapolis. It's hard to let the system brake for you when traffic slows way down. But it works real well. At first, I was going 10 MPH under my set speed, and I thought the cruise control wasn't calibrated correctly. Then it dawned on me, I have adaptive cruise. I think I like 3 out of 4 bars (farther away). I almost want to go for a 2 hour drive, just to see how nice it is. 

I haven't done any hacking with FORScan yet. But I would like to see if I could change the turn signal quick tap from shutting off in 5-6 flashes, instead of 3.  I also need to program my spare key fob that I bought off eBay. I don't think my current key fob is the administrator fob. But for now, I am real happy having cruise control. I'm a big user of CC, even around town. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, danwdc said:

No warnings when I start the car, for the first time since I have had this car. I do really like it. I am glad it's fully functional. I also had a problem with the car starting or turning on accessory mode on it's own, and the battery running down. Replaced the control panel under the center screen, which fixed all that

Even though it is working now, if I remember correctly, there is a "calibration" process that you should do for the sensor to work correctly. I also remember that ForScan has this service capability to initiate the calibration.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, danwdc said:

I've read a lot of forum posts for many different topics. It's frustrating when people don't respond with positive outcomes. So if someone sees this in 5 years with a similar problem, they will know my outcome. Even if they don't use my technique, the other posts on this thread provide great information. They really did a nice job.

I used my adaptive cruise tonight for the first time ever. It was real nice. I commute 24 miles each way in Minneapolis. It's hard to let the system brake for you when traffic slows way down. But it works real well. At first, I was going 10 MPH under my set speed, and I thought the cruise control wasn't calibrated correctly. Then it dawned on me, I have adaptive cruise. I think I like 3 out of 4 bars (farther away). I almost want to go for a 2 hour drive, just to see how nice it is. 

I haven't done any hacking with FORScan yet. But I would like to see if I could change the turn signal quick tap from shutting off in 5-6 flashes, instead of 3.  I also need to program my spare key fob that I bought off eBay. I don't think my current key fob is the administrator fob. But for now, I am real happy having cruise control. I'm a big user of CC, even around town. 

T/S quick tap flash number is easy, but the key fob issue will require a dealership visit or a purchase of hardware and subscription of service to access. At least thats what I've read over and over.

If i'm wrong, let me know.. I lost one keyless push to start fob on a flight some time ago and would love to be able to program a spare too..

• Like 1

Hello to Omar302 in Qatar!

So this is interesting. Remember I'm a newbie to FORScan. 

I removed my front bumper. Replaced the cruise control adaptive distance sensor. Leveled it vertically, with a cheap torpedo level. The horizontal leveling is done electronically, by using FORScan and taking the car for a drive, hooked up to my laptop. It looks at the lines on the side of the road and calibrates the sensor in the horizontal plane. Somehow, with limited knowledge and some luck, I found this calibration tool in FORScan. I followed the onscreen instructions and it said it was calibrated. (Ford dealers charge over $900 for this calibration.)

After successful calibration, my cruise control still didn't work, and I still had the "Collision Warning Not Available" every time I started my car, as seen above. And, I could not shut off adaptive cruise control, as Haz showed above.

So after I had FORScan find the As Built data for the C-CM (Cruise-Control Module), I was immediately able to turn adaptive cruise control on and off in the Settings menu, left of the speedometer. And the cruise control worked perfectly, both in adaptive and not adaptive modes.

What I found fascinating was that I did not lose the previous calibration I did last September. The ECU held the calibration, even though I still had the the warning of "Collision Warning Not Available," unchanged from before I replaced the sensor. My only explanation is that there are several systems working separately and simultaneously to work the cruise control system. Having the correct "0201 and 70" was enough to tie it all together.  And that there is no need to actually add the VIN to the new adaptive cruise control distance sensor. Adding the VIN is either done automatically or not needed. 

Overall, I feel very fortunate there wasn't a lot more needed to complete this repair. The physical repair didn't need to be as exact as I first thought, and FORScan had all the answers, with very little prior knowledge on how to use it.  

• Like 2

Cerebrus:

On this post, I found out how to change the turn signal flash count:  

2016 Ford Edge FORscan changes

Green colors are Original setting Red colors are changes made

1 - Change number of turn signal flashes on a quick tap of the stalk from the default of 3.

(SCCM) 724-01-01 xxxx xXxx xx

0 = One Flash 4 = Two Flashes 6 = Three Flashes - (Default C02D 0600 xx ORIGINAL)
8 = Four Flashes A = Five Flashes C = Six Flashes E = Seven Flashes

I'm gonna check this out. 

If I find a post on the key fob issue, I'll let you know. 

I think there is information out there on programing key fobs with FORScan. I found this video, though I haven't watched it yet.

https://youtu.be/giHkCu10s8g?si=fXe5sM4vXLpDGoYy

And I found this on turn signal flashes for the 2011-15 Police Utility. 

5. Number of Turn Signal Flashes - This setting changes the number of monetary flashes.
SCCM 724-01-01 xxxx x*xx zz 0-3=1 Flash, 4-5=2 Flashes, 6-7=3 Flashes, 8,9=4 Flashes, A,B=5 Flashes, C,D=6 Flashes, E,F=7 Flashes

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/threads/2011-2015-police-utility-forscan-settings.468943/

Edited by danwdc

15 hours ago, danwdc said:

What I found fascinating was that I did not lose the previous calibration I did last September. The ECU held the calibration, even though I still had the the warning of "Collision Warning Not Available," unchanged from before I replaced the sensor. My only explanation is that there are several systems working separately and simultaneously to work the cruise control system. Having the correct "0201 and 70" was enough to tie it all together.  And that there is no need to actually add the VIN to the new adaptive cruise control distance sensor. Adding the VIN is either done automatically or not needed. 

So calibration was done, however, I'd suggest to redo it since the ABD changed. I don't know whether it affects it or not. Correct Calibration is to ensure it works correctly, so even if it is working, there might be something off. This is only a personal opinion.

For the VIN, I don't know it is required or not, however, for modules that need VIN, it is part of the ABD, so programming the factory ABD will automatically add the VIN to the module. The VIN is actually some the ABD values. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 4:57 AM, danwdc said:

Cerebrus:

On this post, I found out how to change the turn signal flash count:  

misspelling aside, I appreciate the information, but I have already employed several mods to the ABD including the t/s quick tap, seat belt warning, key out of running vehicle beep and shift lock in absence of the key (police mode)

My interest is about adding another fob when you only have one.. which may or may not be possible without IDS subscription, which is cost prohibitive for a single use.. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

omar302:  I think you’re right. Recalibration may be needed. Acts a little quirky at times. Good to do for safety too. I’ll do it.

Cerberus: I bought an extra fob on eBay. The seller recommended using a locksmith to program it. I figure a locally owned shop would be best. If someone has a link with Forscan instructions, that would be great. I haven’t really looked into it yet. https://www.ebay.com/itm/256393105198?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sssfAuIJQdC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=a9OMkPeGQhO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY