AWD disabled - what exactly is overheating - transmission temp monitoring ?

I have a 2016 AWD SEL, and will be towing and want to monitor my transmission temp.  I don’t want to hook a pc up to it for long term drives, and was wondering if there is a good way to do that via the obd port, adapter and an app for my iPhone?  (Or what is best way?)

secondly, I changed out the tranny fluid, and stupidly did not measure the drained fluid.  I am having trouble seeing how much fluid is on the stick.  I don’t want to overfill it, but any suggestions on reading that thing?  The fluid seems so clear I can’t tell where it stops (or possibly it’s so low there is none on it, but I did put about 6 quarts back in, which seems to be more than most get on a drain and fill?)

thanks for any help!

Edited by Rrands1

The following sections from the 2016 Edge Workshop Manual describe the components and operation of the AWD system, as well as provide extensive diagnostic procedures guided by Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), in most cases.

If your efforts progress to applying specific Pinpoint Test routines requiring wiring diagrams and electrical connector circuit details and locations, I can provide you those informational resources.

Document download links>

Four-Wheel Drive Systems - System Operation and Component Description - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Transfer Case 3.5L Duratec - Power Transfer Unit (PTU) Overview - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Transfer Case 3.5L Duratec - Transfer Case Cooler - Removal and Installation - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Transfer Case - Diagnosis and Testing - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Four-Wheel Drive Systems - Active Torque Coupling Configuration - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Four-Wheel Drive Systems - Diagnosis and Testing - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

All Wheel Drive (AWD) Module - Removal and Installation - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 3

• 1004ron changed the title to AWD disabled - what exactly is overheating - transmission temp monitoring ?

https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/ 

this is the tool i use to monitor data streams from various systems on my 16 Sport.

assuming (which i hate to do) things are the same between mine and yours, transmission fluid temperature and PTU fluid temps are easy to monitor, RDU has no sensor, just a coil to engage the driveshaft to the rear axle

and 6 qts of fluid may be way too much for the transmission for a drain and fill..

Screenshot_20230813_142746.jpg.a211f0350a80667011eee21ba7949765.jpg

Edited by Cerberus
  • Like 1

From the 2016 Edge Workshop Manual, relating to the 6F50 6-Speed Auto Trans paired with the 3.5L Duratec (or the 6F55 paired with the 2.7L EcoBoost)...

1. NOTE: If the transmission was removed and disassembled, fill the transmission with 6.2L (6.5 qt) of clean transmission fluid. If the main control cover was removed, fill the transmission with 4.3L (4.5 qt) of clean transmission fluid.

Material: Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid / XT-10-QLVC (WSS-M2C938-A)

222279708_TransmissionFluidLevelCheckInstructions-2016Edge6F50-6F556-SpeedAutoTrans.thumb.jpg.19acd11224083e8eb71f276dfd3835d7.jpg

Document download links>

Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill - 6F50-6F55 6-Speed Auto Trans - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Transmission Fluid Level Check - 6F50-6F55 6-Speed Auto Trans - 2016 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Haz said:

From the 2016 Edge Workshop Manual, relating to the 6F50 6-Speed Auto Trans paired with the 3.5L Duratec (or the 6F55 paired with the 2.7L EcoBoost)...

1. NOTE: If the transmission was removed and disassembled, fill the transmission with 6.2L (6.5 qt) of clean transmission fluid. If the main control cover was removed, fill the transmission with 4.3L (4.5 qt) of clean transmission fluid.

Material: Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid / XT-10-QLVC (WSS-M2C938-A

Good luck!

@Haz - as always, you da man with providing helpful info - I appreciate it! 

This is super-useful for how to do it, and how much I should expect to replace - my main issue now though is that I can't physically tell on the dipstick where the fluid is (the new stuff is so clear) - any tips/tricks on that?

Edited by 1004ron
No need to quote EVERYTHING