How to turn radio off and back on..

Hello, I have a 2021 Ford Edge Titanium with the 12" Sync 4 infotainment and B&O sound system.

I can switch stations, AM, FM, Sirius. Turn the volume up and down but can't seem to figure out how to just turn off the radio. There doesn't appear to be any power off button.

There is a single knob below the 12" screen were the volume can also be controlled (up or down) and this knob also has a symbol on it as if it's the power button but it doesn't push in. The knob is only for the volume controls.

And another knob to the right of the volume control which is just for tuning in the stations. Again just a turn dial and no push button.

On the touch screen I can't find anything that powers off or turns off the radio.

I included two photos showing the touch screen and knobs below. I believe the 2022 and 23 models are the same.

Anybody familiar with this? I can't believe Ford wouldn't have included a power off button.  ?

20.jpg

22.jpg

I can understand the power button not turning off the display since that is your only way to get to things like climate control, but if you are listening to the radio and push the volume button it doesn't turn off the radio? The owners manual shows that as how you turn off audio, I remember doing it when I was testing vehicles (I didn't want the 2023 I tried, but wanted to compare to the 2019 I wanted).

Welcome to the Forum, Termin8r !

As others have mentioned, from the 2021 Edge Owner's Manual...

978002005_SwitchingtheAudioUnitOnandOff-2021EdgeOwnersManual.jpg.83660ebd2b46f43339932799f8cb89a8.jpg

If the power switch function of the left control knob is faulty, the Radio Control Switch Panel is replaceable separate from the Display Screen...

1599044354_RadioControlSwitchPanel-FordParts_com.thumb.jpg.7ca3d68d1c4c338b33f0b84a66d4816f.jpg

550061957_12-InchDisplaywithRadioControlSwitchPanel-RemovalandInstallation-2021Edge.thumb.jpg.6db677ebd5e284490baede740d5a23b3.jpg

1156508074_RadioControlSwitchPanel-RemovalandInstallation-2021Edge.thumb.jpg.5aa5ace877aac32c810b0a5da17cccf8.jpg

Document download links>

Audio Controls - Removal and Installation - 2021 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Floor Console - Removal and Installation - 2021 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Will2U said:

Are you pushing on the ring of the volume button or the center?  Pushing the center of the volume button will turn the sound system on and off.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Yes, I have tried pushing the center of the volume button, not the ring. The ring on the knob rotates which allows me to control the volume (high or low).

The center doesn't do anything. In fact, I just took a closer look and when comparing the buttons with the "tune" button, the tune button looks to be raised while the volume buttons looks depressed. Is this the problem? Has that volume button been depressed and never came back out?

• Like 1

Haz, thank you so much for the helpful images and links. I'm now thinking the problem is with the radio control switch panel as you pointed out.

By the way, the tune button doesn't press down. It's just raised like that. But it would make sense that the volume button should also be raised and would be pushed to power the radio on or off.

I included close up photos showing how the volume button looks depressed as compared to the tune button. Although the volume button doesn't seem to pop out. I tried.

Anybody have this year vehicle and can confirm that volume button should be raised and is also a push button? As mentioned above, this should be the same infotainment setup in the 2021, 22 and 23 models.

volume button angle view.jpg

volume button.jpg

Edited by 1004ron

Yes, I'm now thinking I should take this to the dealer for warranty repair as you mentioned. Gez, I just purchased this vehicle like two weeks ago. Didn't realize this button wasn't working although I recall trying to figure out how to turn the radio off. The salesperson appeared not to know, although he may have just didn't want to mention it.  ?

I love everything about this car. Also came equipped with the panoramic roof which is a nice touch.

Just been troubled over this radio situation.

It looks like you have a 2022 which I believe is identical to the 2021 as there wasn't many changes made in these years. Does the center portion of your volume button push in and back out when pressed?

Would be nice to view a photo of what a proper placement of those buttons should look like.

3 hours ago, Termin8r said:

Yes, I'm now thinking I should take this to the dealer for warranty repair as you mentioned. Gez, I just purchased this vehicle like two weeks ago. Didn't realize this button wasn't working although I recall trying to figure out how to turn the radio off. The salesperson appeared not to know, although he may have just didn't want to mention it.  ?

I love everything about this car. Also came equipped with the panoramic roof which is a nice touch.

Just been troubled over this radio situation.

It looks like you have a 2022 which I believe is identical to the 2021 as there wasn't many changes made in these years. Does the center portion of your volume button push in and back out when pressed?

Would be nice to view a photo of what a proper placement of those buttons should look like.

You will love your car once they fix this.  They have been de-contenting the Edge for a few years.  Although they are basically identical, 2022 misses a few things from 2021, 2023 misses a few more, etc.  (For instance, I don't have a glove box light.)  The center of the button is spring loaded and goes in and comes back out flush with the silver ring.  

I didn't realize they were pulling some of the items from the newer model cars that were standard equipment on the 2021. I just went to check to make sure, I do have the glove box light.  :happyfeet:

I did so much research on these cars, mostly the 21 and 22 model and didn't notice much of any difference.

One thing that would be nice is if they could have installed a light in the center console compartment (under the arm wrest). It's so deep which is nice but gez, it's so dark in there.

I guess the factory has been working hard to to remove some of these small details that can be easily missed yet amount to lower costs for them.

Nonetheless, thanks for confirming the center volume button being spring loaded. Mine doesn't press in at all. Will be making a visit to the dealer soon. Thank you so much for the info...

I surveyed photos of 2021-2023 Edges offered for sale online and these images are representative of what I found...

735084093_RadioControls1.jpg.04fe8705a0602d5fbd57d7bc8424685c.jpg

1386874290_RadioControls2.jpg.0a01f878e110e09814ed70d37c0e31e9.jpg

1953974380_RadioControls4.jpg.727d652fd64f6df04046b23dc269c366.jpg

The Edge Workshop Manual offers 'Pinpoint Test J' as a diagnostic for the Audio Control Panel. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) which are set for several faulty conditions...

image.png.0d4904c4f3069be64b541eb863e384ec.png

The DTCs for knob control fault and/or continuous button press may indicate an issue with the Power Button.

Given that the sales rep unsuccessfully addressed the radio power-off question with you, and, you've recognized the no-power-off issue after only two weeks, the selling dealer may consider covering the full repair cost or a shared-cost repair arrangement for your Edge.

• Have you tried using SYNC Voice Command to turn off the radio?

If the dealer refuses to cover any repair cost, and using SYNC Voice Command successfully turns radio power Off and On, then it's up to you to decide if the cost of a functioning Power button is worth it.

Additional Workshop Manual documents relating to the Audio Control Panel are attached for your awareness...

Document download links>

PINPOINT TEST J - THE AUDIO-SYNC SYSTEM DOES NOT OPERATE CORRECTLY FROM THE AUDIO CONTROL PANEL - 2021 Edge.pdf

Audio Control Panel to SYNC Module Wiring Diagram - 2021 Edge.pdf

AUDIO CONTROL PANEL - Connector C2009 Details - 2021 Edge.pdf

AUDIO CONTROL PANEL - Connector C2009 Location - 2021 Edge.pdf

SYNC MODULE (APIM) - Connector C2383A Details - 2021 Edge.pdf

SYNC MODULE (APIM) - Connector C2383A Location - 2021 Edge.pdf

Audio Control Panel to Body Control Module (BCM) Wiring Diagram - 2021 Edge.pdf

Audio Control Panel to Ground Wiring Diagram - 2021 Edge.pdf

Audio Control Panel to HVAC Module Wiring Diagram - 2021 Edge.pdf

Audio Control Panel to Body Control Module (BCM) Hazard Lamps Wiring Diagram - 2021 Edge.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

Thanks Haz, Incredibly awesome of you to find those photos. Both those buttons look flush with the ring as opposed to mine were the tune button is raised out.

About the DTC codes, your saying if the button was to be stuck (as it is), this may have triggered a code?

Would a standard obdII scanner see this?

I haven't tried the Sync Voice Command to turn of the radio. The thought never even crossed my mind. Will try and see if this works. Although I would certainly much rather have a working button.

I purchased this as a Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle (CPO) direct from the Ford Dealership. I believe the vehicle still has the original bumper to bumper coverage as I only have like 28k miles on it.

I even had the CPO warranty extended which offered a longer bumper to bumper and drivetrain coverage up to 100,000 miles or 2030. Whichever comes first.

I'm guessing this should be covered with the factory warranty. Not sure if the original warranty requires that I pay a $100 deductible though.

Edited by Termin8r

It is true that scanning your Edge's electronic modules will reveal any current and/or historical DTCs, including those associated with the Audio Control Panel.

Your good choice to invest in the longer-term Ford Protect CPO-Wraparound Premiumcare, to expand the covered items and extend the duration of the selling dealership's Blue Advantage Gold CPO, relieves you of any need to scan the Edge, unless you already have the device on hand.

The selling dealer's Service department will surely correct your Edge's radio power-off issue, and your being able to tell them whether or not the radio powers-off to your SYNC Voice Command may be useful to the Service Writer and Repair Tech as they seek the issue's root cause.

Your Edge's original factory Bumper-To-Bumper warranty coverage expires on August 13, 2024, so covered Warranty repairs to your vehicle should be performed at no cost to you through that date. 

After that, the $100 deductible of your Ford Protect CPO-Wraparound contract will apply to covered repairs, except in the case of manufacturer Recall actions which are fulfilled at no cost to owners.

There are no unfulfilled Field Service Actions on your Edge, as a result of the selling dealer's completion of Recall 22S14 (link to details) in November 2023.

Once again, welcome to the Forum -- and congratulations on your 2021 Edge/CPO-wraparound purchase.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Haz, thank you so ever much for all the help. So incredibly detailed. I truly appreciate that.

About powering the radio off using SYNC Voice Command, I wasn't able to get this to work. I can't seem to find any commands to turn the radio off using SYNC VC. I was able to say "turn on the radio" and choose which station I want. But nothing about turning it off.

The vehicle was purchased from a Ford dealership that was a little over 2 hours away from me. While I would prefer to go back to the selling dealership, I don't see myself making this long journey again for this knob were I may even have to come back again after they ordered the part and leave it there for some time while they repair this.

I do have a local dealership about 20 minutes away were I would most likely take this to for the repairs. Being that I still have the bumper to bumper coverage I should be OK and not have any out of pocket expense. Unless the dealership claims that the broken audio knob was a result of rough handling (which would have occurred from any previous drivers) and is not covered under normal conditions.

Does bumper to bumper cover any damage (without any cost to me) even if it's found not to have been a factory issue? Like if somebody aggressively pushed the knob that caused such damage.

If the center of the volume knob is suppose to push in, then something must have broken inside the knob as it's solid as a rock and stiff as a door nail.

And thank you for the info about the rear camera recall. I did see about this recall but didn't know if it was taken care of. Nice to know the dealer fixed this prior to the sale. If only they could have addressed the radio issue at the same time.  :gaah:

The audio system not powering-off via spoken SYNC command is an added symptom that dealership Service staff will explore,  along with any related DTCs, if they exist.

The issue may involve corrupted software or a faulty module, apart from the audio control panel.

Online resources show your Edge's various SYNC & APIM software are up-to-date, but the dealership tech will connect your Edge to Ford's online Service systems to verify that, as well as to perform other diagnostic procedures comparable to Pinpoint Test J.

Establishing a relationship with a local dealer's Service department is a useful thing, especially if they participate in Ford's Pickup & Delivery Service.

As MLTEdge describes, absent overt physical damage, correcting this issue will very likely occur at no cost to you.

I can't speak to the Power pushbutton's depth of travel, if it is other-than a momentary contact control -- perhaps another GEN 2 Edge owner will clarify that.

Good luck!

• Like 1

MLTEdge; Thanks for that. There are no signs of abuse. Everything looks new. Just strange how the audio button wont press at all. It's solid as if it was suppose to be that way.

Haz; are you saying there should be a spoken command to turn of the audio via SYNC Voice Command?

I spent a good deal of time scouring through the interent and couldn't find any command that would be used to power off the radio using Sync VC.

Nonetheless, I will also mention this to the dealer service center.

And about the "Ford Pickup & Delivery Service", wow, I never knew this even existed. It looks like my local Ford dealership does participate in this. Very nice to know although I will more than likely take this in myself.

And while I'm there I will inquire about their pickup and delivery service to confirm they do participate in this service and ask if the vehicle needs to be in drivable condition or not.  :)

1 hour ago, Termin8r said:

And about the "Ford Pickup & Delivery Service", wow, I never knew this even existed. It looks like my local Ford dealership does participate in this. Very nice to know although I will more than likely take this in myself.

And while I'm there I will inquire about their pickup and delivery service to confirm they do participate in this service and ask if the vehicle needs to be in drivable condition or not.  :)

I had the pickup and delivery last time I had my truck in for service.  They call it "Red Cap" service here (I think).  They came and picked up the truck, had it about a week (I had some recall stuff done, and oil and other stuff done), and brought it back to my house.  My wife was ecstatic.  She hates driving, especially where this dealer is (hard to get in and out of).  So, no more having her tail me to the dealer anymore!  And no more me having to listen to her whine about it!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Termin8r said:

Haz; are you saying there should be a spoken command to turn of the audio via SYNC Voice Command?

Our 2015 MKX's comparatively Stone Age SYNC 2 system reacts to "Radio Off" and Radio On", though beginning the phrase with "Turn" confuses SYNC 2.

SYNC 4A is described as having Enhanced Voice Recognition, and being more capable with conversational expressions, so I expect that "Turn Radio Off" & "Turn Radio On" should be effective commands.

Good luck!

SYNC 4A with Enhanced Voice Recognition

2021 Edge Availability

SE

SEL

ST‑Line

Titanium

SYNC 4A with Enhanced Voice Recognition

S

S

S

S

SYNC 4A with Enhanced Voice Recognition is a one-stop shop for most of the vehicle controls, including applications, settings and climate controls. The SYNC 4A touchscreen offers a unique layout and larger font size for readability.

• Status bar: Now supports up to six buttons and five icons
    • Buttons include: Home, Settings, Camera, Android Auto™ or Apple CarPlay® (if activated), Alexa Built-in, Ford Power-Up software updates and Personal Profiles (if equipped). Certain buttons can be customized
    • Icons include: Charging (if applicable), TA (traffic announcement), Wi-Fi, location sharing, phone signal strength, temperature and time
  • Active screen: Displays the current feature in use, with Dash Cards below. A smaller version of Dash Cards now display up to six recently used apps that function as quick links. Swipe up or tap to launch a card into the active area and swipe down to close it
  • Lower tray: Climate controls are always available here on-screen, along with audio volume/On/Off knob (if equipped). Pressing on temperature, fan or heated seat icons now enable the volume knob for quick level control, instead of sliders
  • Touchscreen features accessed on the Status Bar:
    • Applications drawer: Pressing the Home button brings up two tabs:
      • Apps include both factory installed and third-party apps, as a phone is paired
      • Entertainment includes games and music available for stationary times, like charging
      • NOTE: Charging, Towing, Intelligent Backup Power, Zone Lighting and Pro Power Onboard are now native apps
    • Settings drawer: The Toggle button now brings up a consolidated view for quicker access:
      • Controls, at the top of the menu, opens first by default when the drawer is open; Drive Modes, Camera and Seats are located here
      • Settings, such as Sound, Phone List and Driver Assistance, can be accessed on the left menu
      • Profiles drawer: Pressing the Personal Profiles button (if equipped) now brings up a dedicated drawer to see them and set up a new one
  • Owners will appreciate cordless smartphone pairing, SiriusXM with 360L availability and Alexa Built-In compatibility. Up to 12 smartphones can be paired, but only two phones can be connected to Bluetooth® at the same time. Two phones cannot call or conference simultaneously
  • The Ford Assistant allows owners to use conversational voice commands to talk to the vehicle and ask questions more like Siri or Alexa
  • Ford Sketch allows owners to draw, erase, clear, save and use different brush sizes directly on their SYNC 4A touchscreen
    • They can also play tic-tac-toe and use a calculator with this feature (Mustang Mach-E only) 
  • SYNC 4 Technology also carries over base embedded voice capability from SYNC 3, with the addition of a “wake word,” natural language understanding and one-shot Navigation search. The following embedded features are available regardless of whether a cloud connection is available in the vehicle:
    • Phone controls, such as email message read and reply
    • Navigation (with an active subscription) options, such as one-box search from main menu for addresses, Points of Interest (POI) and intersections
    • Radio/media operation
    • Climate features
    • SYNC AppLink controls
    • The embedded voice allows the owner to use a “wake word” to talk to the vehicle. The wake word is turned Off by default but can be turned On in Settings. Go to Settings > Voice Control > Listen for Wake Word
      • “OK, Ford” is the default wake word. Other options include “OK, FordPass,” “OK, Ford SYNC” or “Hello, Ford
      • A short press of the Push-to-Talk (PTT) button on the steering wheel can be used instead of the wake word. A long press of the PTT button will alert Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, if they are connected
  • Penny Games: When the vehicle is stationary, owners will be able to entertain themselves with casual, quick to play games, including Sudoku, Doublesum, Jigsaw Puzzles, Lane Change and more
  • Using SYNC 4 Technology, owners can simultaneously connect two phones through Bluetooth. They can alternate between the two phones to call, answer, email and text. Either phone can be enabled to speak commands, stream media and use Android Auto/Apple CarPlay

NOTE: The Dual Phone feature does not allow the connection/conference of two calls from both phones.

• Like 1

Thank you for such an informative infotainment post.  ?

I found the active screen section helpful which mentioned Dash Cards. Nice to know what they are called and how to open and close those apps.

Also nice to learn that with Sync 4 you can connect two phones simultaneously. Couldn't do that with Sync 3.

When I do make it to the dealership, I will mention how the "Radio Off" or "Turn Radio Off" SYNC VC doesn't seem to be a recognizable command. Neither one of those commands do anything. However without an actual official list of SYNC 4 Voice Commands we wouldn't know if those words even exist or should work.  ?