Auto Headlight Dimming Question

Rchalk

In my recently-acquired ST, if I drive with the normal startup conditions, the auto-dimming headlights work really well - in fact much better than the 2017 I had before this one.  However, If a manually dim the lights, for example when approaching cross-traffic waiting at a stop sign, then the lights stay on low-beam.  If I then manually select High Beam, the lights don't dim when approaching another vehicle.  My question is how do I restore to normal automatic mode once I have made a manual selection?  Thanks for any assistance you can offer. 

From the 2020 Edge Workshop Manual, with emphasis added...

Placing your device cursor over underlined acronyms may yield full-words descriptions of their meaning.

Automatic High Beams

The automatic high beam system uses an interior rear view mirror mounted camera to monitor surrounding traffic conditions and high beam usage. The camera is hardwired to the IPMA and serviced as an assembly. The IPMA communicates light information over the HS-CAN2 to the GWM then the GWM sends the information to the BCM over the HS-CAN1.

The automatic high beam feature is active only when the headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position.

During nighttime driving, the automatic high beam system automatically turns the high beams on if it is dark enough and no other traffic is present. When the system detects an approaching vehicle's headlamps or a preceding vehicle's rear lamps, the system turns off the high beams. When the approaching vehicle's headlamps or the preceding vehicle's rear lamps are no longer detected, the high beams automatically turn back on.

The IPMA turns the high beam headlamps on when the following conditions are met:

• The feature has been enabled using the message center
  • The headlamp switch is in the AUTOLAMPS position and the autolamps feature has turned the exterior lamps on
  • The vehicle speed is greater than 51 km/h (32 mph)
  • The IPMA determines the ambient lighting conditions are dark enough
  • The IPMA does not detect any light source that can be interpreted as an illuminated vehicle lamp

The IPMA turns the high beams off if any of the following occur:

• The IPMA detects any light source that can be interpreted as an illuminated vehicle lamp
  • The IPMA determines the ambient lighting conditions are not dark enough
  • The vehicle speed falls below 44 km/h (27 mph)
  • The autolamps are turned off
  • The IPMA determines the view is blocked

Based upon the above, rather than manually switching from high beams to low in the cross-traffic situation you describe, try rotating the headlamp switch out of AUTOLAMPS position -- which should turn off high beams -- and then rotate the headlamps switch back to AUTOLAMPS position when you want to re-establish the activity of the feature.

Good luck!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rchalk said:

If I then manually select High Beam, the lights don't dim when approaching another vehicle. 

Did you return the lever to the normal position, high beams off?  I have used the flash to pass feature to disable/enable the auto high beams once.

• Like 1

i am curious to know what glare-free highbeam is? I have auto highbeam on my 2024 St but haven't played with it enough to see if I would use it.That's a big problem with the newest cars/SUV's etc. There are a lot of cool options. But at the end of the day-are you better to go back to the 'old school' method of manually controlling the high beams yourself.

52 minutes ago, Wubster100 said:

Glare free highbeams:

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2016/03/18/drivers-can-now-keep-the-high-beams-on-worry-free--new-ford-head.html

You should be able to enable glare free with FORScan as long as you have the dual projector headlights.

I am sorry, but anyone with a 2019+ that doesn't have the high level headlights is dazzling oncoming traffic with low beams only, forget about high beams. I never thought that getting a Titanium since it has leveling headlights would be required, but if I have 50 pounds of stuff in the cargo area everyone flashes me, instead of only 30% of people if I don't. NTHSA gives them poor rating.

Also this requires the matrix headlights, that I don't think even the high level US headlights do, it isn't standard in the UK either, optional on the ST-Line.

Edited by dabangsta