Answeres for all Audio/Video questions

But if I want to add a sub, I also have to add an Amp, right?

Yep. The technical answer is that the stock amp is geared for the impedance of the factory speakers. If you try running something with a lower impedance (e.g. your sub), you could cause problems.

I have a question. I have an amp for my subs hooked up working fine. Now I have a 4 channel amp and speakers for my doors I want to add. My subs amp I have wired with a toggle switch as I don't always want the subs on. So I didn't use the REM wire due to the toggle switch. My question is with my four channel amp for the speakers I obviously always want this on when the radio turns on I have a 2012 edge sel without Sony sound on my speaker amp where can I get a feed for the remote wire REM to turn on when the radio turns on as I don't want to toggle switch this one

Thanks

nevermind, i figured this out myself....pretty easy again, just use a line out converter that will give you that blue amp turn on wire so you can use the factory head unit. I see there were a few of you who asked where to hook an amps blue wire too, well go to your local best buy or car audio place and get a line out converter.

I have a 2013 Ford Edge SE with a single cd player in it and when I travel I can not play cd's without them acting like they have a scratch in them (yes, I looked for scratched on the cd and found none). When I eject the cd its very hot to touch.. Once the car is shut off and cooled down I can start my car and play that same cd with no problems. Can anyone please tell me what is happening? And is there a fix for it? Thanks!

I have map version 11P. They are currently building Interstate 69 near me in Bloomington Indiana. I would upgrade maps if I thought they had some of the new construction on it. I sent a note to the map company and their response was to go to a dealer and see if they have the interstate on it. Can you tell me if they have some of I69 on the map version 14P?

Sounds like the unit is shorting and needs to be replaced. Still under warranty?

I have a 2013 Ford Edge SE with a single cd player in it and when I travel I can not play cd's without them acting like they have a scratch in them (yes, I looked for scratched on the cd and found none). When I eject the cd its very hot to touch.. Once the car is shut off and cooled down I can start my car and play that same cd with no problems. Can anyone please tell me what is happening? And is there a fix for it? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post on here. I just bought my wife a 09 Edge Sport with the DVD Nav system. I would like to add monitors to the headrests for my kids in the back. Does the stock DVD system have A/V jacks on the back of it? Will the stock DVD play on the rear monitors while the car is not in park? Do you have any suggestions on a particular brand to use?

Thanks,

Don

Ever consider using aftermarket? Much (MUCH) cheaper and can be moved to a different car when you sell. Check out this one for example

http://www.amazon.com/XTRONS%C2%AE-Screen-Headrest-Player-Monitor/dp/B00J5CEJTM/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1432826371&sr=8-12&keywords=headrest+dvd

Amazon has dozens to choose from, most come with three different color covers and the posts are adjustable in width and have bushings to adapt to different size holes. (Each plays independently, no connection to head unit, but they can be connected to both play same movie or game if wanted). Believe wireless headphones, controllers are available as well.

Hey, I have a 2013 Ford Edge, I am trying to find a way to play videos from my android to the MFT display. I am told you can only use the A/V jacks for that so I would need a cable. Problem is I cannot find a mini usb to A/V jack adaptor cable. Anyone done this? Where can I get a cable?

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-USB-Component-Andriod-Converter-MHL-enabled/dp/B00LPHJEEA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1432827714&sr=8-3&keywords=andriod+video+cable+to+usb

Why not run a self-diagnostic test on the unit and see if you are throwing any DTC errors? On my 09 MKX it's entered by holding preset buttons 3 and 6 for 3 seconds until the speaker walk-around test begins. Before the speaker walk test is complete, press the "End Test" selection on teh touch screen. The screen will change to Bezel Diagnostics and you can choose which tests to run. (Assumes you have navigation).

IF you don't have navigation, buttons 3 & 6 to enter mode, press button #1 after the speaker test begins and it will start the ACM test. If errors show up after the test, you can review them by pressing button #2. Button 3 is the AM/FM Antenna Signal Strength, button 4 displays software levels for various components of the audio system. Knowing the software levels probably will not aid in diagnostics. Press the TUNE UP button to scroll through the software levels. Button 5 is the Display Test, button 6 retrieves the ACM Part Number. Button 7 ejects the warp core and button 8 drops your oil pan on the garage floor. (last two are undocumented).

So answer man, answer me this;

Pertaining to a 2013 Edge SEL:

1. Can I get a 6 disc in dash cd changer and replace my single disc player without having to have a scan to to reset any parameters for the system?

2. Any way to get a copy of the installation instructions for the Ford Invision DVD Headrest Kit?

Both seem easy enough to do, I just want to fly through the headrest install and instructions would be "AWESOME."

Hi akirby, I am a newb here.

I don't have the touch screen Infotainment system, don't want to talk to the car as it is, and I already have the cd's.

I know, I'm 43 and this downloading tunes in my phone would be great. But I already have what I need on the little plastic discs I paid for and they work. Can't justify the cost and time necessary to do the download crap. My wife says I'm old and out of touch with modern tech. Tried talking my wife into doing it for me, that was a no go. Oh well.

Got a 32 GB SD card in my phone too. All that space and not a single song on it. Lot's of pics though.

Dealer tried to help me tonight. They spent a half hour trying to find the instructions for the DVD Headrest install; no luck. The service writer and tech's there said they have never installed a set, ever. I find that odd.

Hell, I bought this thing and after searching on here, I don't even know if it is complete as far as the install hardware. I was told it was complete.

Everything wrapped as new, the DVD headrests, two headphones, two remotes, batteries for the stuff, and user's manual.

The install kit box only had a 3"x 4" black box with a small square black box stuck to it. each with dense 3/16" or 1/4" black foam. the headrest hook-ups are about 4' long and come out of the larger box. the small box has some small wires running under the foam on the larger box. The small box has one small short cable with the tiny white plastic connector on it.

Worst case scenario, custom audio shop install in the future.

• 1 month later...

What's up guys, recently purchased a 2013 Edge SEL with Navi, Sync, Non-Sony system. Looking to add an amp/sub to the stock unit. I know I need to add some type of Line Out Converter to get an RCA/Amp out. My question is, does anyone, Metra perhaps make a "pigtail" style harness that goes between the stock head unit and the factory head unit harness or do I need to get the traditional LOC converter and splice it into the head unit wiring? I would prefer to not splice into the factory wiring if possible. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Charles

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife has a 2010 Edge with the nav system. Recently, the radio sounds terrible - distorted, like bad reception. I checked to make sure the antenna hadn't come unplugged somehow, and it seems fine. Stored music, aux in, and CDs sound fine. She did mention it seemed to have started right after the battery had died. Any ideas? Thanks.

• 2 years later...

hello, I recently bought a 2014 SEL with the non-Sony factory radio. Good audio is important to me and this car definitely doesn't have it. lol. So, I am considering my options. The Metra dash kit is really ugly and I'm not even sure it provides all the same non-radio functions that the original console has....and from what I've read, it's not easily possible to retrofit the car with the Sony system that was offered in the Limited and as an option for the SEL, even if I was able to find a used one in good condition. I can replace the door speakers easily enough, there are some decent 6x8 options out there and the Metra wiring adaptors make it simple. My major decision is what to do about the center console. Does anyone know of an aftermarket unit that's nicer looking than the Metra one? I have no problem paying more for something if it's really worth the money but there just doesn't seem to be much choice out there. I really like the looks of the Sony option and would be super happy with something that looks as nice and can accept a double-DIN receiver. But short of giving up and going with the Metra kit, I'm coming up empty handed so far....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and relatively new to my vehicle, and Im hoping to get some precise info on a project I want to start. I have a 2015 Edge Titanium, and I want to replace the MyFord Touch with the necessary hardware to:

- Add Sync 3 compatibility

- retain all current integration with MyFord Touch (I.e.: steering wheel controls, instrument cluster integration, etc)

My current research concludes that I will need to source the following:

- a touchscreen/info display from a 2016+ Edge

- a Sync 3 APIM module with Nav (vehicle specific?)

- Sync 3/CarPlay compatible USB hub

Are there any other specific parts I will need in order to retain all functionality, while adding Sync 3?

Thanks, and looking forward to learning more from the community here.

Here's one place you can start. Be advised that one you do upgrade, you may never be able to upgrade the Sync 3 to a later version. And you will not be able to update the maps to a later year. I read that there are companies that are trying to pirate copies for those that have changed their cars, but don't remember it they have succeeded or not.

https://www.4dtech.com/2015-ford-edge-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

Edited by enigma-2

I thought I heard that 4dtech made the sync 3 updates available to folks that upgraded from sync 2 to sync 3. Otherwise you’re on your own to get the upgrade files which are usually available in various forums.

The f150forum.com guys have done a lot of sync 2 to sync 3 upgrades and also early upgrades to V3.0 using unofficial files and what has to be done to get the official upgrade.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea on how to improve sound quality from the factory Sirius radio? This is a 2013 SEL with MFT. I have upgraded speakers to INfinity's. Radio sounds really good, cd's sound really good, playing from a USB sounds really good, but the Sirus sound quality sucks most of the time, but at times it only sounds bad.. Very tinny sounding basically. My XM radios in our 2 Explorers sound great (they are plug directly into head unit radios). Is there that large of a difference in XM compared to Sirus?