Front License plate frame

Edge184

I want to remove the black plastic front license plate holder. Is there an easy way to remove it? I opened the hood and removed the six scrws that hold the cover that is attached to the grille but could not get my hand in there. Plus it looks like there are some type of clips that hold the bottom of the grille.

Any help would be appreciated.

I want to remove the black plastic front license plate holder. Is there an easy way to remove it? I opened the hood and removed the six scrws that hold the cover that is attached to the grille but could not get my hand in there. Plus it looks like there are some type of clips that hold the bottom of the grille.

Hi Edge184. :D Sometimes different Dealers use different types of fasteners. So first you need to determine what type of fastener was used.

If screws were used, you can simply unscrew the fasteners.

However, if your license plate bracket was simply screwed on, you would probably already have it off without the help of us schlubs. :hysterical: So I am guessing that yours is probably attached using rivets.

In that case, using a small drill bit you can carefully drill out the center of the rivets. Then use slightly larger bits until the rivet loosens/breaks. Simple to do.

Or as an alternative, some people use a Dremel tool and cut off the top of the rivet. I prefer the drilling method.

Nuts and bolts are usually not used, so there should be no reason to need to get to the back of the bumper cover.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

In most cases, there are 2 rivets that hold the plastic plate "holder" to the bumper.

Another way to remove these rivets, is to use very sharp electrical pliers and cut off the top of the rivet. Once you do this, the rest of the rivet will drop from the back of the bumper.

Now, you have 2 holes, how to cover them..?

You can go to any hardaware store (in my case, the FORD dealer had them) and purchase 2 plastic "plugs" that have fins on them (multiple fins along the lenght of the plug). I do not know the exact name of these "plugs", but they are easy to find. They come in different sizes.

Most of these plugs are black or white. In my case, the bumper is black so it was a very nice fit.

Yes, I know there are two holes in the bumper. I went to the automotive store and picked up some of those plugs. They came i gloss black so they will match the black front bumper. I found also online that you can use "goof plugs" they sell them in elecrical supply houses and irrigation suppy.

Thanks

This may seem redundant but here’s more. Drill out rivet “head” with ½” drill. The bit cuts away aluminum without enlarging hole in bumper & inside part of rivet falls into bumper. You’re left with ¼” holes that can be plugged or, if U’ve got the budget to do it right, by filling & painting. I used a ¼” black nylon plug [servalite #1180-B] with a 5/16” head. I’m guessing this plug is smaller that those mentioned above. I could not find this plug on the Internet, but if U Goggle "nylon hole plug" one site will be HarmonCorp. They call it a dome plug. I used black with a sort of pebbly surface (matte-finish.) Use as is or paint with U'r body color touch-up. Because some plastics don’t take paint well it’s probably best to rough up surface with sandpaper to give the paint some purchase. Even though sanded, U should also clean surface with acetone or lacquer thinner due to oily film left after molding.

3/22/09: Just stumbled onto these today at Lowe’s - their #139449 (Hillman #881275) for 1/4" black dome plugs.

post-5957-1239946739_thumb.jpg

Edited by dadrett

• 1 month later...

between the time i decided to purchase my edge and the time i drove it back to the dealer, i changed my mind a million times as to whether or not to put the bracket on the front. finally decided to go with the bracket cause i have to show my tarheels pride. and steelers in the hitch out back.

• 2 weeks later...
slightly off topic, but how do you like your HID? And may I ask how much $ :wacko:

/Hijack

love them... they are sold here on the board by Retro Solutions (he has a seller thread) .. search for HID topics and you will find a ton of info from me and many others who installed and love them

Hijack/

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The license plate frame was already on the Edge when I got it :angry: , I took it off and was going to use plugs for the holes, I don't know what they did when the drilled the holes in the cover but the cover was a mess under there, I figured I would have to leave the license frame on the bumper so I had it painted to match

post-7930-1259723567_thumb.jpg

post-7930-1259723653_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

I also want to remove mine. I bought this (http://www.bumpshox.com/) just yesterday and am planning on installing it next weekend. I had some idiot back into me the other day (he had no insurance) and cracked the factory license holder. I figure this new one will _somewhat_ prevent that from happening again--at least in low mileage encounters.

Why did Ford not just use contemporary screws to hold this in place?

BTW: I _LOVE_ my Edge!

Edited by psaltis