Need help on if my Edge is Totaled or not...

Theo

Well i will start with the good pictures of my 07 Edge... the wash and detail I did on Wednesday of last week,

Wednesday May 13th

post-2540-1242702088_thumb.jpg

post-2540-1242702142_thumb.jpg

post-2540-1242702184_thumb.jpg

and now I will show the Accident pictures on Friday... two days after she looked beautiful :(

Friday May 15th

post-2540-1242707400_thumb.jpg

post-2540-1242707497_thumb.jpg

post-2540-1242707563_thumb.jpg

post-2540-1242707788_thumb.jpg

post-2540-1242707841_thumb.jpg

post-2540-1242707901_thumb.jpg

post-2540-1242707962_thumb.jpg

My question is if anyone can tell me with the metal that is bent, if that is the frame... and if it is what is the possibilty of it being fixed... I am actually upside down on the Edge so if its totaled then its a good thing, but the thing that stinks is i loved the car. it was a fun cute care. I was hit my a teenager that ran a red light because he was in trouble with his parents for being late. He said this was his second accident this week and second vehicle that was towed :censored:

You don't really have a frame but there's no way to tell if the unibody is bent until they put it on a jig and measure it. If the fenders aren't deformed then you might be ok. Looks like the grill absorbed most of the impact.

The one thing I always told my son was don't hurry to get home. Call and tell us you're on the way and drive safely.

Nope, thats not a totaled car. The insurance company will weigh how much it will cost to fix it against how much it will cost them to total it. They will do whatever costs them the least and they will probably wind up fixing that car. There is just not enough damage there.

Edited by 500 h.o.

They will likely fix it. I could not see from the pictures if the air bags went off. Figure several thousand for the new air bags, sensors, interior trim panels to cover them.

Also in one shot there appears to be deformation of the passenger front door. That would indicate that the unibody is bent, likely downward given the type if impact. They can likely straighten the body out.

The one thing you should check on is if your policy (or state law) allows you to insist on OEM new replacement parts. Know exactly what your policy says and what your rights are before agreeing to anything with the insurance company and/or body shop. Put it in writing also (i got salvaged parts in one of my claims and it caused all kinds of problems).

The key thing is you were not hurt. drag about the car !

They will fix it. Cars now do not have the famous frames that when bent were considered a total. The front took the impact and crumpled like it is supposed to to protect the insides. The 'frame' is deep in the center.

Please post how the paint turns out, I have the same color.

And hopefully everyone is ok. I was hit last year by a 16 yo with a month old license. Knocked the body of my truck off of the frame and gave me a concussion. After almost a year of post accident treatment the worst of it has been his insurance company, so be ready. Document everything and I hope the person that hit you was issued a ticket. It helps a lot. Now I know why my parents always worried so much when I was that age! :)

Sorry about your accident! I'm also fairly certain that this car is not totalled. The unibody is in clear view on the bottom 2 photos. The inner fender pan is crumpled, but the unibody (many people refer to this as the frame) appears that it didn't take a bad hit. If anything, it may have gotten pushed upward based on the photos of the front. The fender to door fit on the passenger side looks fairly normal. Regardless, if the unibody is pushed up or over a little it won't take much to pull it back. The OEM parts for the Edge aren't really that expensive, compared to other models. This car appears to need a radiator support (bolt-in), both headlights, grille, inner fender sheetmetal, air cleaner, hood (it may be repairable), left fender, front bumper cover, possibly radiator/AC condensor/fans. I also can't see if the airbags are blown. That would drive the estimate up big time.

Good luck. This car can be fixed nicely by an experienced auto body shop. It will look as good as new!

Edited by zhotster

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Edge is totalled. Has a total of about $17K in total damage, plus the car rental will put it as a total loss... The crappy thing is the stupid retard that hit me has Progressive and he only had $15k in collision insurance so I had to put the claim thru my insurance... :( I do have GAP insurance and American Family has been great... I have my eyes on a nice 2005 VW Jetta thats white and with beige leather... total price of about $11k with TTL... The Edge was great.. and a very safe vehicle... Just wanted to update you guys... if anyone was wondering....

Wow, did not expect that. If you are filing thru your insurance and they are suing their insurance, demand that they fix it-especially if you paid for gap insurance! That is what I did. I had 4k damage on a truck worth about 2k. I refused to be forced to take on a new car payment because they wanted to total it. So I was able to get another 7 months out of it. Not my fault, not my problem. His limits do not matter when it comes time to sue. My insurance is paying for my accident right now and I am getting what I want, that kid's insurance co will be bummed. To total an Edge and buy a used VW seems unfair. Used 2007's in good shape go for much more than that. I looked at used when I bought and they were going for 18-20k +.

What was broken so bad that it was totaled? Frame?

Hello,

I too had a 07 that my wife was driving when a young girl rearended her. They also totaled it out. She had Progressive also and my insurance company went ahead and fixed it and is suing her insurnace company due to many shady practices by progressive. My insurance was not affected at all and nothing will ever go on my record i just had to let my insurance be the ones going after the other driver. There was unibody damage to our 07 edge also and they told me that 07s had to be replace with OEM parts!!! Progressive wanted the body shop to cut and weld new parts into old parts and vise versa, the autobody shop laughed at them and in the end they had to have FORD fax the information that states that you CANNOT cut an OEM part up to make it work. It must be used as is. Anyways, enough rambling. The most important thing it that no one was hurt. In our case we went from a 07 Edge SEL to a very beautiful 08 Edge Limited!!

Good luck,

J

Wow, did not expect that. If you are filing thru your insurance and they are suing their insurance, demand that they fix it-especially if you paid for gap insurance! That is what I did. I had 4k damage on a truck worth about 2k. I refused to be forced to take on a new car payment because they wanted to total it. So I was able to get another 7 months out of it. Not my fault, not my problem. His limits do not matter when it comes time to sue. My insurance is paying for my accident right now and I am getting what I want, that kid's insurance co will be bummed. To total an Edge and buy a used VW seems unfair. Used 2007's in good shape go for much more than that. I looked at used when I bought and they were going for 18-20k +.

What was broken so bad that it was totaled? Frame?

Regardless of the other guys limits, you can use your own insurance to pay and sue them for up to your own coverage. It would be a cold day in hell before I took a loss like that on an 07 suv and wound up with an 05 VW. No way. I think his insurance company is messing with him too.

I'm not real sure but I would think the other guy's LIABILITY ins would kick in instead of collision ins. In

Missouri the minimun is 50k if I'm not mistaken. Collision ins exists to cover YOUR car and alot of people

don't carry it.

I wish I had seen this earlier. I am an insurance adjuster. I do commercial claims (Auto, P&C, Workers Comp, and more.)

The first thing I would have asked you is "Who is the other party's insurance company and who is your insurance company?" If you answered "Progressive" I could have told they would total it. Progressive totals many more vehicles than they should. I assume they just have far too many inexperienced adjusters. Once I got in the insurance business I immediately switched my insurance from Progressive when I saw how horrible they handled claims.

If your own insurance has done their own appraisal and tells you it is totaled and they are paying you (only taking your underinsured motorist deductible I hope), you don't have many options. You might as well take the $ and call it a day. Not worth the fight in my opinion.

But if you do want to fight it, let me know what state you are in and who your insurance company is. I may be able to think of some things you could try.

The other guys insurance is Progressive, and yes they have some crappy service practices.... The adjuster dinked around for two weeks and was wanting to use aftermarket parts... I was like"... if Ford manufactures cars with aftermarket parts than okay, but if it is an OEM part... that is what i want installed on my edge...i bought this car from ford and i plan to have all ford parts on it if you are going to fix it..." The adjuster went back to the body shot and said... "she's going to have to file thru her insurance and sort it out...we wont fix it...its over my policyholders limits" (Body shop guy said the adjuster walked off with a smirk on his face and an "oh well" attitude.... mind you the adjuster from progressive NEVER called me to tell me this... i heard this from the body shop guy...

Every time i see a progressive commercial on TV I give it the finger... :lol:

My insurance American Family is awesome, wish i would have just filed with them originally lol... progressive did send $1000 check to me for my deductible, and they are paying for my rental up until amfam took over the claim.

I don't mind downgrading cars, the jetta is pretty nice... im being more practical with my vehicles and not doing the negative equity thing ever again... get a cheaper car. pay it off and go from there... I used to have a 2007 Ford F150 SuperCrew every option you could think off... brand new... $500 to order it and zero down.... i wasnt thinking... i was 21 and wanted "my" truck.... well, 650 monthly payment and 350 insurance payment a month(living in las vegas) i had enough of it after a year... so i did a trade in for the edge... they showed i would have to role $12k negative equity onto the edge... ended up loaning $6K from gramps and added $6k to the edge... so thats why i was upside down... and got the gap insurance... stupidest decision in my life putting zero down lol... but hopefully thats behind me...

picture of my truck... which i miss :( (not the payment though) :lol:

100_1578.jpg

Do you owe more than it is worth? If you make them fix it you could at least get a trade. You did say your insurance is paying the bill at this point, did that change? I just think you are getting screwed. Teh insurance is going to make a bunch of money off of the parts from your Edge and the progressive guy is getting a bonus for saving money on you. :(

amfam totalled the car too... i was in the process of selling the car, i wouldnt even get a look at the car if they pull a carfax... and no dealership is going to give me a decent trade... i owe 22,500 on the edge and the settlement was 17,400... so i don't see myself getting screwed.... im getting out of the edge if the gap covers everything, and into a cheaper car and no upside down crap anymore...

It is a common practice of insurance companies to use aftermarket parts if the car is more than a year old. Read your own auto policy. I guarantee you somewhere it says they will replace parts with aftermarket or used OEM. Or they will charge you "betterment" for using new OEM because you were "left better off than you were before the claim" because you had brand new parts. The mentality is, your car was used (not brand new off the lot.) So either you get used Ford parts, or brand new aftermarket parts. The aftermarket parts are just as good. Body shops make extra money by using OEM parts so they will bring it to your attention in a hurry if insurance is figuring aftermarket. How do they make more money by using OEM you ask? They order them at a discount but they charge you full retail for the part and pocket the difference.

OEM parts is probably what made it total. If you had been OK with aftermarket Progressive might have fixed it.

But if I were you, I would have wanted it to total anyway. That would kill you on the resale for them to see $17k worth of damage on a Carfax.

Plus the car probably never would have been the same. I guarantee you would have had some (maybe small) issues with the way it handled or rattling noises or something in the future.