2007 Edge unexplained stalling???

cam2007

2007 Edge unexplained stalling???

In Oct 2008 our 2007 Edge started stalling. There was no pattern to the stalling. It was infrequent and would happen while stopped at red lights or even while driving. I put gas cleaner in the tank, it was no help. I then thought maybe it was the change to winter gas. We took it to the dealer for a scheduled service appointment. They could not reproduce the stalling and said they never heard of it happening to an Edge.

The stalling actually went away for the winter. Now it is back for the last 2 weeks it has been stalling. I was thinking maybe now it was because of the change to summer gas. Or was it just a coincidence?

I searched the net and saw some posts about TPS sensors and stalling but not many. We called and we are going to leave the car with the dealer so they can do more extensive testing on it.

The one good(?) thing is I can now reproduce the stalling. While the car is still hot if I put it in neutral or park and pump the gas petal once and then again…as the tach arrow comes back down ... it stalls.

Did anyone hear of unexplained stalling in Edge’s? I will let you know what the dealer says this time. At least I can show them how to make it stall.

Thanks

Edited by cam2007

Wow, really glad that you posted this topic because I have been experiencing the same thing but not at all often. The last instance was just 7 days ago after a 380 mile drive...We just pulled up to the house and needed to back into the garage, put the car in reverse, stepped on the gas and it stalled.

Agreed, car must be hot to duplicate...I'll be watching for answers.

Edited by AnnieW1025

2007 Ford Edge SEL AWD 32,000 miles

My wife dropped our Edge off in the late afternoon and we got a call the next day that it was ready. We were taking it in anyway for a service appointment. They did the 30K service recommendations and looked into the stalling problem.

The phone message from the service manager was: “your truck is ready… the head mechanic found the problem. The software in the trucks computer needed to be updated”

My wife went to pick up our Edge. She asked the service manager to explain what he meant by software update. He said the software needed to be updated as per Ford. He said think of it as Microsoft Windows on your PC you have one version then a new version comes out. You need to upgrade to the newer version in order to make things run better.

My wife said she wanted more information. (I told her to get as much info as possible so I could post it here) He then said something about the car automatically adjusting it self as it goes above and below sea level. He said that software needed updating. We live in a flat inner city across the river from NYC. Hmmm. He said this is the first Edge they have seen with the stalling problem. He said Ford recommended the software upgrade.

My wife thought the Edge was a little “jumpy” on the way home. She was saying it felt like it was going to stall but then perked up and didn’t. We will see what happens with further driving.

I looked at the receipt from the dealer and it has the following:

..VERIFIED CONCERN (about stalling)

REPROGRAM PCM TO NEW CALIBRATION CODE

707A-129650HH4 ROAD TEST OK

I will keep you posted on how it is running.

PS – we love our EDGE the only other problem we had was the battery died 2 weeks after we drove it off the lot. Also it seems like the rear mount stop lights burn out frequently. The Ford dealer we go to is very nice no problems with their service at all.

Thanks

Edited by cam2007

Any time you recalibrate, the computer has to relearn you driving style. It is always looking for the lowest rpm that will keep the engine running. It may take a few driving cycles to establish the rpm range you need based on your typical driving routine.

After a long higher speed drive, or disconnecting the battery cables, the computer may let the rpm's drop too low. If it stalls or "bucks" going to idle, it will remember not to drop it that low next time.

Any time you recalibrate, the computer has to relearn you driving style. It is always looking for the lowest rpm that will keep the engine running. It may take a few driving cycles to establish the rpm range you need based on your typical driving routine.

After a long higher speed drive, or disconnecting the battery cables, the computer may let the rpm's drop too low. If it stalls or "bucks" going to idle, it will remember not to drop it that low next time.

interesting thank you for the information..

• 2 months later...

Sorry I am late with status on my 07 Edge stalling problem. I was in an accident with my beautiful 1999 mint condition Taurus. Someone went through a stop sign and T-boned my passenger side. No one was hurt in both cars; I just dropped my son off at school. Both doors smashed in, windows broken, glass everywhere. (and in my fresh cup of coffee to boot!) It happened right in front of a police station. I walked over, rung the bell and told them I was in an accident.

Ok back to the 07 Edge stalling problem. It is fixed!!!! It turned out to be the throttle body. “Throttle body was binding when HOT, replaced throttle body” The Edge has been running fine since the repair. We drove down to Florida no problems.

The only good thing about my baby (99 Taurus) getting hit was that the insurance company totaled it…err I mean her. I went out and purchased a brand new 2010 Taurus. I was lucky enough to find a dealer that had one in stock. I jumped on it and got it. I could hardly get out of the dealer the day I picked it up. People wanted to sit in it so they could maybe order one. Talk about a head turner…when I drive down the road I see more heads turn than at a tennis match!!! (or Obama reading his teleprompter) :)

The 2010 Ford Taurus is Beautiful!!!! (sadly I have forgotten about my baby already)

God Bless America!!!

PS- funny thing about lawyers, after my accident report went on public record. I must have gotten 20 letters from lawyers “telling” me that I was injured and that they will help me get money for my pain and suffering. Thanks to them I have some nice magnets and cup holders, oh yeah one even sent a nice magnifying glass.

They always do that. When I got hit last year I got them everyday for months. If someone does not start paying the bills I may need to contact one. :banghead:

PS- funny thing about lawyers, after my accident report went on public record. I must have gotten 20 letters from lawyers “telling” me that I was injured and that they will help me get money for my pain and suffering. Thanks to them I have some nice magnets and cup holders, oh yeah one even sent a nice magnifying glass.

Sorry I am late with status on my 07 Edge stalling problem. I was in an accident with my beautiful 1999 mint condition Taurus. Someone went through a stop sign and T-boned my passenger side. No one was hurt in both cars; I just dropped my son off at school. Both doors smashed in, windows broken, glass everywhere. (and in my fresh cup of coffee to boot!) It happened right in front of a police station. I walked over, rung the bell and told them I was in an accident.

Ok back to the 07 Edge stalling problem. It is fixed!!!! It turned out to be the throttle body. “Throttle body was binding when HOT, replaced throttle body” The Edge has been running fine since the repair. We drove down to Florida no problems.

The only good thing about my baby (99 Taurus) getting hit was that the insurance company totaled it…err I mean her. I went out and purchased a brand new 2010 Taurus. I was lucky enough to find a dealer that had one in stock. I jumped on it and got it. I could hardly get out of the dealer the day I picked it up. People wanted to sit in it so they could maybe order one. Talk about a head turner…when I drive down the road I see more heads turn than at a tennis match!!! (or Obama reading his teleprompter) :)

The 2010 Ford Taurus is Beautiful!!!! (sadly I have forgotten about my baby already)

God Bless America!!!

I am having the same stalling problem with my edge it is in the shop now just can't get it to stall. mine got the computer update for the idle but now it just stalls when parked at idle and now it is stalling when i am sitting at a traffic light, told the dealer it has to be the throttle body but won't do anything to it untill they can get it to stall so i am going to try your way of making it stall hope it works thanks for posting the info

This is good news about your Edge. I was curious if your dealer explained exactly what component(s) of the throttle body is actually binding. I'm not familiar with what makes up a throttle body (linkage?)

Thanks -

Andy

08 SEL

God Bless America!!!

I am having the same stalling problem with my edge it is in the shop now just can't get it to stall. mine got the computer update for the idle but now it just stalls when parked at idle and now it is stalling when i am sitting at a traffic light, told the dealer it has to be the throttle body but won't do anything to it untill they can get it to stall so i am going to try your way of making it stall hope it works thanks for posting the info

Good luck yes this is how I got it to stall....

The one good(?) thing is I can now reproduce the stalling. While the car is still hot if I put it in neutral or park and pump the gas petal once and then again…as the tach arrow comes back down ... it stalls.

This is good news about your Edge. I was curious if your dealer explained exactly what component(s) of the throttle body is actually binding. I'm not familiar with what makes up a throttle body (linkage?)

Thanks -

Andy

08 SEL

My wife picked it up after the repair..I will see if the paper work has more info....

• 4 months later...

Bought a 2008 certified pre owned Edge last night. Didn't even make it home before it stalled. Then again and again. (As you all have said about when it is warm, this happened about 30minutes into driving.)

It is back at the dealership right now. For all that have been through this, once it was "fixed" has it remained so?

Thanks!

Bought a 2008 certified pre owned Edge last night. Didn't even make it home before it stalled. Then again and again. (As you all have said about when it is warm, this happened about 30minutes into driving.)

It is back at the dealership right now. For all that have been through this, once it was "fixed" has it remained so?

Thanks!

replyed to you. :shift:

and for others. haven't had any other trouble with it.

• 6 months later...

YES I HAVE A 2010 AWD SEL 12K ON IN STALLING AT ALMOST EVERY LIGHT! FUNNY HOW THE DEALER SAID IT WONT STALL ON THEM! AFTER HAVING IT THERE 3 TIMES THEY SAID IT IS THE THROTTLE BODY BUT HAVE TO WAIT 2 WEEKS TO GET THE PART! ONLY 12 THOUSAND MILES!!!

We have a 2010 Edge LTD with 10,000 km on it, it has twice stalled for no reason once on a side road at 80 km/h and once on a highway at 120 km/h, very dangerous. I had it in for service last week and told the advisor about it (first stall) it seems like it was not fixed as it just happened again. Both times my wife was driving, she has been able to pull over, she sees the service engine wrench displayed, all other electronics seem to be working, waits a few miniutes, then restarts the car. I let you know what the dealer says.

YES I HAVE A 2010 AWD SEL 12K ON IN STALLING AT ALMOST EVERY LIGHT! FUNNY HOW THE DEALER SAID IT WONT STALL ON THEM! AFTER HAVING IT THERE 3 TIMES THEY SAID IT IS THE THROTTLE BODY BUT HAVE TO WAIT 2 WEEKS TO GET THE PART! ONLY 12 THOUSAND MILES!!!

You have to understand. Ford used this TB on all edges and the taurus's, fusions, escapes and various others. Not to mention they had a big supply for parts. To find a widespread problem like this is a big deal. They have to source a new manufacturer and get them to produce these TB's FAST! All the while they are taking a growing world wide list of backorders of tb's. So when they say you will have to wait 2 Weeks, that is the honest truth.

Yes the car is only 12,000 miles old but you cant fix a bad part with no part...

2010 Edge stalled on her again on the way home yesterday, took it to the dealers today, they found no problem. Even though the wrench light came on, it did not store the fault, therefore they say there is no problem. Called Ford Canada to no avail, unless they identify a problem they will not do much of anything. I found a posted news report from a TV station about this exact problem, they say Ford USA is aware of the problem and will anounce a solution soon. Here is the link.

http://www.local12.com/content/troubleshooter/story/Hebron-Woman-Reports-Stalling-Problem-with-Ford/nWubCeC-CU6w6SNKEF0h7w.cspx

In the mean time I'm now looking into going back to GM (this was my first Ford, and I've had it for less than 3 months).

Continuing Story of stalling 2010 Ford Edge

The first dealer would not leave black box on car to capture fault, therefore I took it back to where I bought the car and told them they could keep it until they fixed it, as I do not feel safe driving it. Ford Canada had already contacted them concerning my issue. I told them about the TV station doing the investigating into this problem and about the reported TB problem reported here. The service manager said he was hooking up the black box and was going to drive it and try and capture the problem. This morning the Dealer called and said that it did act up when they were driving and in conjunction with Ford Canada diagnosed the TB problem. Apparently it has been replaced and is now working properly, I will report back after driving for a while. It is only too bad that Ford does not put out a notice about this problem to their dealers; it would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

One final thought, this stinks as much as Toyota not acknowledging their acceleration problem. What will it take for a total recall? A number of people to be killed by accidents caused by this problem? Wake up Ford, you are better than Toyota, are you not?

Hope this will help other who have this problem.

Continuing Story of stalling 2010 Ford Edge

The first dealer would not leave black box on car to capture fault, therefore I took it back to where I bought the car and told them they could keep it until they fixed it, as I do not feel safe driving it. Ford Canada had already contacted them concerning my issue. I told them about the TV station doing the investigating into this problem and about the reported TB problem reported here. The service manager said he was hooking up the black box and was going to drive it and try and capture the problem. This morning the Dealer called and said that it did act up when they were driving and in conjunction with Ford Canada diagnosed the TB problem. Apparently it has been replaced and is now working properly, I will report back after driving for a while. It is only too bad that Ford does not put out a notice about this problem to their dealers; it would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

One final thought, this stinks as much as Toyota not acknowledging their acceleration problem. What will it take for a total recall? A number of people to be killed by accidents caused by this problem? Wake up Ford, you are better than Toyota, are you not?

Hope this will help other who have this problem.

I wonder how common this problem is. I never had problem with my 09

Edited by Sparky

I just took our 2010 Edge to the daeler Thursday. It started stalling when accelerating from a stop (red lights). It seems to stall when the A/C is on. Luckily, it stalled when the write-up tech when to check it. After he started it, it stalled when he put it in drive.

I called for an update on Friday and they couldn't reproduce the problem so they kept it over the weekend.

I'll post an update tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Stalled again on 8/28... accelerating from a red light.

... and today.

We are having the same problems. Not constantly but twice in 5 months. They tell me there is nothing they can do. Here is my story and they say they have no reports of this happening, to any other Ford Edge.

We were on vacation in Florida and had around 14 to 15,000 miles on our Edge.

In March, we were at a red light....Light turned green....Our Edge would not move. It was in drive, running, everything inside working.... We were finally able to get it to the side of the highway. My husband put it in park and went to look under the hood. While he was looking under the hood, I looked over at the speedometer and it said we were doing 19 mph and it was adding up mileage....ALL of this while in PARK. My husband got back in and turned it off. A few minutes later, he started it up and it ran fine. This happened on Sunday evening. The next morning we found the closest Ford Dealership which was in Pensacola FL, only a few miles from our hotel. We went there and talk to someone in the service department. This man told us they were completely booked up that day. We told him we were leaving Pensacola and on our way to Gulf Shores, AL. He said to take it took the dealership in Foley AL and tell them that they had received a report of this same problem on the Ford Flex. He knew exactly what it was doing and said for them to check this report. They should be able to fix it.

We make an appointment at the Ford Dealership in Foley AL . They tell us they want us to make it do it again so they can get a reading on it. We tell them, we can not make it happen, it just happened. So they say they can not test it unless it has happened and the Edge has not been turned off. We tell them about the report on the Flex and they just say they have not heard of it. Is there anything else they can do for us today.

I am furious.

When we get back to our dealership in Missouri, we pretty much get the same response. Can you make it do it again??? WHAT? Are you kidding me?? So, no help again.

I must tell you,we love the Edge, but we are afraid we will get killed in it.

Last week (August) (25,000 miles) we are shopping and get in our Edge to leave. Husband put the Edge in Reverse and says, oh man something is not feeling right. When he puts it in Drive, it is just crawling and nothing at all is showing on the speedometer NOTHING. We crawl to another parking space put it in Park and NOTHING.. Put it in Reverse....NOTHING.... Put it in Drive and NOTHING. I tell my husband, don't shut it off or they can not get a reading on it...So I call the Dealership...They tell us to call the tow line..... I said but if we shut it off there will be no reading, right? They say," yes that is right". So I ask, can the tow truck do a test on it; if we sit here, with it running till he gets here? They say, "No, the tow truck driver can not test it"...

Husband turns it off and starts it back up, and it runs fine. We then drive straight to the dealership. Once again, to be told there is nothing they know if and nothing they can do, unless it gives a reading when tested. Guess what? No reading. All of this while the woman taking the phone calls in the service department is laughing like we are stupid because " We can not make it do it again". By this time, I am heading for the Dealership Management. I am told, he is gone for the day but someone else will talk with you. So I explain the whole ordeal again, and the woman walks up smiling and hands him a paper, showing that it was tested and no faults showed up. She said she called the hot-line to see if they have any reports of such, but they are closed for the day. They say, " well without knowing where the problem is coming from, we can not fix it. We would have to start replacing all kinds of parts and that could be costly and have no way of knowing if the part we replace would fix the problem".

Here is what I want to know......IF we are at a stop light...... on a busy highway and the light turns green... a car, truck, RV, semi truck etc, is coming up behind us and is at a pretty good speed and our Edge stalls. We have to put it in PARK....... TURN OFF the ignition.......RESTART the Edge............PUT it in DRIVE............and ACCELERATE............Are we going to have time to get out of the way of that vehicle coming up behind us, who never had to stop at the STOP Light. ????????????????? Do we get killed????????? If our 3 grandchildren are with us, DO THEY GET KILLED????

We have bought Fords for more than 40 years and this is the first time, I have felt I might die in one.

I will be on the phones tomorrow and hopefully someone will give me answers to what is wrong with my Edge or a solution that my husband and I accept

We are having the same problems. Not constantly but twice in 5 months. They tell me there is nothing they can do. Here is my story and they say they have no reports of this happening, to any other Ford Edge.

We were on vacation in Florida and had around 14 to 15,000 miles on our Edge.

In March, we were at a red light....Light turned green....Our Edge would not move. It was in drive, running, everything inside working.... We were finally able to get it to the side of the highway. My husband put it in park and went to look under the hood. While he was looking under the hood, I looked over at the speedometer and it said we were doing 19 mph and it was adding up mileage....ALL of this while in PARK. My husband got back in and turned it off. A few minutes later, he started it up and it ran fine. This happened on Sunday evening. The next morning we found the closest Ford Dealership which was in Pensacola FL, only a few miles from our hotel. We went there and talk to someone in the service department. This man told us they were completely booked up that day. We told him we were leaving Pensacola and on our way to Gulf Shores, AL. He said to take it took the dealership in Foley AL and tell them that they had received a report of this same problem on the Ford Flex. He knew exactly what it was doing and said for them to check this report. They should be able to fix it.

We make an appointment at the Ford Dealership in Foley AL . They tell us they want us to make it do it again so they can get a reading on it. We tell them, we can not make it happen, it just happened. So they say they can not test it unless it has happened and the Edge has not been turned off. We tell them about the report on the Flex and they just say they have not heard of it. Is there anything else they can do for us today.

I am furious.

When we get back to our dealership in Missouri, we pretty much get the same response. Can you make it do it again??? WHAT? Are you kidding me?? So, no help again.

I must tell you,we love the Edge, but we are afraid we will get killed in it.

Last week (August) (25,000 miles) we are shopping and get in our Edge to leave. Husband put the Edge in Reverse and says, oh man something is not feeling right. When he puts it in Drive, it is just crawling and nothing at all is showing on the speedometer NOTHING. We crawl to another parking space put it in Park and NOTHING.. Put it in Reverse....NOTHING.... Put it in Drive and NOTHING. I tell my husband, don't shut it off or they can not get a reading on it...So I call the Dealership...They tell us to call the tow line..... I said but if we shut it off there will be no reading, right? They say," yes that is right". So I ask, can the tow truck do a test on it; if we sit here, with it running till he gets here? They say, "No, the tow truck driver can not test it"...

Husband turns it off and starts it back up, and it runs fine. We then drive straight to the dealership. Once again, to be told there is nothing they know if and nothing they can do, unless it gives a reading when tested. Guess what? No reading. All of this while the woman taking the phone calls in the service department is laughing like we are stupid because " We can not make it do it again". By this time, I am heading for the Dealership Management. I am told, he is gone for the day but someone else will talk with you. So I explain the whole ordeal again, and the woman walks up smiling and hands him a paper, showing that it was tested and no faults showed up. She said she called the hot-line to see if they have any reports of such, but they are closed for the day. They say, " well without knowing where the problem is coming from, we can not fix it. We would have to start replacing all kinds of parts and that could be costly and have no way of knowing if the part we replace would fix the problem".

Here is what I want to know......IF we are at a stop light...... on a busy highway and the light turns green... a car, truck, RV, semi truck etc, is coming up behind us and is at a pretty good speed and our Edge stalls. We have to put it in PARK....... TURN OFF the ignition.......RESTART the Edge............PUT it in DRIVE............and ACCELERATE............Are we going to have time to get out of the way of that vehicle coming up behind us, who never had to stop at the STOP Light. ????????????????? Do we get killed????????? If our 3 grandchildren are with us, DO THEY GET KILLED????

We have bought Fords for more than 40 years and this is the first time, I have felt I might die in one.

I will be on the phones tomorrow and hopefully someone will give me answers to what is wrong with my Edge or a solution that my husband and I accept

Sounds like this should be reported the NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/

This is a definite safety problem and falls into the same category as some of Toyota's problems.