2007 Edge unexplained stalling???

cam2007

Sounds like this should be reported the NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/

This is a definite safety problem and falls into the same category as some of Toyota's problems.

Yeah, I did that within a few days of my first visit to the dealer. The more complaints submitted to the NHTSA, the better.

I googled "2010 ford edge stalling" and found my complaint at http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2010/ford/edge/

I talked to the dealership today and they tell me it has been turned in to the Engineer Department at Ford. There are no other reports of this problem with any other Edge owner. I asked her then, Is there now a report on our Edge doing this. I asked three times and no answer either time. So if others are reporting this, apparently it is not being sent for Data Reports.

I am at a point of calling EVERY day till someone gives me some help. We spent too much money on the Edge to not be able to get it repaired.

We are having the same problems. Not constantly but twice in 5 months. They tell me there is nothing they can do. Here is my story and they say they have no reports of this happening, to any other Ford Edge.

We were on vacation in Florida and had around 14 to 15,000 miles on our Edge.

In March, we were at a red light....Light turned green....Our Edge would not move. It was in drive, running, everything inside working.... We were finally able to get it to the side of the highway. My husband put it in park and went to look under the hood. While he was looking under the hood, I looked over at the speedometer and it said we were doing 19 mph and it was adding up mileage....ALL of this while in PARK. My husband got back in and turned it off. A few minutes later, he started it up and it ran fine. This happened on Sunday evening. The next morning we found the closest Ford Dealership which was in Pensacola FL, only a few miles from our hotel. We went there and talk to someone in the service department. This man told us they were completely booked up that day. We told him we were leaving Pensacola and on our way to Gulf Shores, AL. He said to take it took the dealership in Foley AL and tell them that they had received a report of this same problem on the Ford Flex. He knew exactly what it was doing and said for them to check this report. They should be able to fix it.

We make an appointment at the Ford Dealership in Foley AL . They tell us they want us to make it do it again so they can get a reading on it. We tell them, we can not make it happen, it just happened. So they say they can not test it unless it has happened and the Edge has not been turned off. We tell them about the report on the Flex and they just say they have not heard of it. Is there anything else they can do for us today.

I am furious.

When we get back to our dealership in Missouri, we pretty much get the same response. Can you make it do it again??? WHAT? Are you kidding me?? So, no help again.

I must tell you,we love the Edge, but we are afraid we will get killed in it.

Last week (August) (25,000 miles) we are shopping and get in our Edge to leave. Husband put the Edge in Reverse and says, oh man something is not feeling right. When he puts it in Drive, it is just crawling and nothing at all is showing on the speedometer NOTHING. We crawl to another parking space put it in Park and NOTHING.. Put it in Reverse....NOTHING.... Put it in Drive and NOTHING. I tell my husband, don't shut it off or they can not get a reading on it...So I call the Dealership...They tell us to call the tow line..... I said but if we shut it off there will be no reading, right? They say," yes that is right". So I ask, can the tow truck do a test on it; if we sit here, with it running till he gets here? They say, "No, the tow truck driver can not test it"...

Husband turns it off and starts it back up, and it runs fine. We then drive straight to the dealership. Once again, to be told there is nothing they know if and nothing they can do, unless it gives a reading when tested. Guess what? No reading. All of this while the woman taking the phone calls in the service department is laughing like we are stupid because " We can not make it do it again". By this time, I am heading for the Dealership Management. I am told, he is gone for the day but someone else will talk with you. So I explain the whole ordeal again, and the woman walks up smiling and hands him a paper, showing that it was tested and no faults showed up. She said she called the hot-line to see if they have any reports of such, but they are closed for the day. They say, " well without knowing where the problem is coming from, we can not fix it. We would have to start replacing all kinds of parts and that could be costly and have no way of knowing if the part we replace would fix the problem".

Here is what I want to know......IF we are at a stop light...... on a busy highway and the light turns green... a car, truck, RV, semi truck etc, is coming up behind us and is at a pretty good speed and our Edge stalls. We have to put it in PARK....... TURN OFF the ignition.......RESTART the Edge............PUT it in DRIVE............and ACCELERATE............Are we going to have time to get out of the way of that vehicle coming up behind us, who never had to stop at the STOP Light. ????????????????? Do we get killed????????? If our 3 grandchildren are with us, DO THEY GET KILLED????

We have bought Fords for more than 40 years and this is the first time, I have felt I might die in one.

I will be on the phones tomorrow and hopefully someone will give me answers to what is wrong with my Edge or a solution that my husband and I accept

I talked to the dealership today and they tell me it has been turned in to the Engineer Department at Ford. There are no other reports of this problem with any other Edge owner. I asked her then, Is there now a report on our Edge doing this. I asked three times and no answer either time. So if others are reporting this, apparently it is not being sent for Data Reports.

I am at a point of calling EVERY day till someone gives me some help. We spent too much money on the Edge to not be able to get it repaired.

Part of the problem is that there are few good diagnostic technicians at the dealerships. Most are parts changers and never have to really fix or overhaul anything. Nothing has changed other than the flat rate price for repairs going up to over $100/hr.

Edited by flyerjmr33

• 2 weeks later...

Stalled again on 8/28... accelerating from a red light.... and today, twice.

Hasn't stalled since 9/2, but had an appointment with the dealer today to install a flight recorder. While in the service bay, they miraculously "found something". They say it could be the trottle body (which I mentioned during the very first visit) or the TB wiring harness. They need to order a new TB, install it, and check for codes. Next appointment Thursday 9/16.

This has happened twice to my 2008 edge, once while my wife was driving and once while i was driving. First, the speedometer drops to zero and the mileage display shows "odo failure". Then once i pulled over, the car wouldnt accelarate past 2 mph even though the speedometer was now displaying 20mph. Turned it on and off a few times and the problem cleared. Would suck for this to happen somewhere where i couldnt pull over.

The first time the dealer couldn't find anything wrong, havent been back after the second time.

FMC contacted our dealership and got the ball rolling on our Edge after I contacted them. They had our Edge for a few days. The engineering department at FMC had the dealership try a variety of things to get the Edge to stall. They ended up replacing two sensors in the Edge. Did that work? We do not know because it is not something that happens all the. Only time will tell. We are praying that fixed the problem. I am not sure what sensors they are, I will ask my husband when he comes in and post what they are. So I highly recommend that if you are getting no where with your dealership, contact FMC and explain the problem.

If this did not fix our problem, I will post that information too.

Good luck to all of us.

Barbee

FMC contacted our dealership and got the ball rolling on our Edge after I contacted them. They had our Edge for a few days. The engineering department at FMC had the dealership try a variety of things to get the Edge to stall. They ended up replacing two sensors in the Edge. Did that work? We do not know because it is not something that happens all the. Only time will tell. We are praying that fixed the problem. I am not sure what sensors they are, I will ask my husband when he comes in and post what they are. So I highly recommend that if you are getting no where with your dealership, contact FMC and explain the problem.

If this did not fix our problem, I will post that information too.

Good luck to all of us.

Barbee

One was probably the crankshaft sensor.

Hasn't stalled since 9/2, but had an appointment with the dealer today to install a flight recorder. While in the service bay, they miraculously "found something". They say it could be the trottle body (which I mentioned during the very first visit) or the TB wiring harness. They need to order a new TB, install it, and check for codes. Next appointment Thursday 9/16.

Picked-up the Edge from service yesterday. From the work order:

LABOR & PARTS---------------------------------------------------------

INSTALL VDR FOR INTERMIT STALLING

CP9926

CC42

TEST FOR DTC FOUND DTC P0123 PERFORM PINPOINT TEST DV1.DV3.&

DV21 WIGGLE ETB HARNESS NO PROBLEM FOUND. TAP ON ETB FOUND

TPV1 DROPS TO 0VOLTS TP2 0% REPLACE ETBTPS CLEAR DTC ROAD

TEST & RETEST PASS

PARTS------QTY---FP- NUMBER---------------DESCRIPTION-------------------

JOB # 1 1 7T4Z-9E926-FA THROTTLE BODY

Hopefully, that's the end of this story.

Edited by Franklee

• 1 year later...

Just drove 2009 certified off the lot. Rough idle after driving 40 min. Stalled 4 times, once while proceeding from stop, other 3 while in park. Let engine cool, could not reproduce. Drove 30 min and then 2 stalls from park, but rough idle while stop start driving. Rpms inconsistent, Rmps keep dropping below 400 while idling at light or stop sign, jumps up to 1100' back down 400 then stall. Yellow wrench display after stall. Afraid to drive. How can this be resolved?

Guys, my 2008 did the same thing within a short few months of ownership. Mostly if the a/c was on. One day, we just decided to take it in after it happened while sitting in a Wal-Mart parking lot and they found the problem immediately (Throttle Body). The Edge never stalled ever since.

I have a 2011 Ford Edge. It has stalled on me, with wrench light coming on, three separate times in 3 months time. Doesn't matter the speed, two times on highway, one time in neighborhood. Car goes completely limp and coasts to a stop. I'm able to steer it to the side while it's stopping. It is very frightening! It happened the first time in May (at roughly 36,000 miles) then again a week later. Now it just happened again yesterday (August), 4,000 miles since the last time. The first time we took it to the dealer, they said there was carbon buildup in the fuel system. Charged us $400 to clean it. The second time we took it, said they couldn't duplicate the problem, but did a "recalibration". Will be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow!

Edited by scgirl9903

I have a 2011 Ford Edge that just stalled again for the 3rd time. The first two times were in May and it just happened again this weekend. The first two times I was on the highway (with kids in car) and car just stopped accelerating and the wrench light came on. Thankfully I was able to steer car to side of road as it coasted to a stop. It happened again this weekend in neighborhood, going 35mph. Took it to dealer all 3 times. First time they said I had carbon build up in fuel system and charged me $400. Second time said they couldn't "duplicate" the problem, but said they "recalibrated" the system. The car is at the dealer now for 3rd stalling incident and they say they can't find anything wrong. I'm afraid I'm going to get killed in this car. From what I've read, most people that have had this issue, it was the throttle body. They refuse to replace it because they say it's testing okay. Anyone else with similar problem get their car fixed and if so what was the problem?

I have a 2011 Ford Edge that just stalled again for the 3rd time. The first two times were in May and it just happened again this weekend. The first two times I was on the highway (with kids in car) and car just stopped accelerating and the wrench light came on. Thankfully I was able to steer car to side of road as it coasted to a stop. It happened again this weekend in neighborhood, going 35mph. Took it to dealer all 3 times. First time they said I had carbon build up in fuel system and charged me $400. Second time said they couldn't "duplicate" the problem, but said they "recalibrated" the system. The car is at the dealer now for 3rd stalling incident and they say they can't find anything wrong. I'm afraid I'm going to get killed in this car. From what I've read, most people that have had this issue, it was the throttle body. They refuse to replace it because they say it's testing okay. Anyone else with similar problem get their car fixed and if so what was the problem?

Hi,

Did you get this resolved, if so, what was the problem? My 2011 Limited doesn't stall, but the wrench comes on and the RPMs won't go over 1000, this only seems to happen within a few mintues of starting the car. I pull over and shut the car off, wait a few seconds and the car goes again. This has happened three times in the last two weeks, but never before that. Though since the first time my idle does seem rough and will flucuate between 700-400 rpm. I'm taking it in to get the codes read next week. I'll post back with what is found.

Hi,

Did you get this resolved, if so, what was the problem? My 2011 Limited doesn't stall, but the wrench comes on and the RPMs won't go over 1000, this only seems to happen within a few mintues of starting the car. I pull over and shut the car off, wait a few seconds and the car goes again. This has happened three times in the last two weeks, but never before that. Though since the first time my idle does seem rough and will flucuate between 700-400 rpm. I'm taking it in to get the codes read next week. I'll post back with what is found.

Sounds like the electronic throttle control.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the electronic throttle control.

Right you are akirby.

I wanted to update the issue with my 2011 Edge losing power and then not being able to rev above 1000 rpms.

Took it to the local dealer and they kept it for a day and it did not repeat the problem, and it didn’t show any codes. They said they couldn’t order any parts under warranty work without a code. They told me to drive it some more and if it stalls again, bring it back. Well, I drove home (2 miles) changed clothes to go out and drove over to my GFs house, on the way after another 2 miles, it stalled again. Wrench came on and it wouldn’t rev over 1000 rpms. Shut it off, started it again and off I went. I had my video camera in the car and recorded the lack of power and the wrench. Took it in the next day and another CS manager was listening to my conversation and said they based on my description of the issue he was sure it was the throttle body, which I told them the day before, but I guess they had to be sure. I told them I had recorded a video of the issue in case they needed to see the wrench icon on the display, they said that wouldn’t be necessary. Anyway they ordered and installed the throttle body, even though I still didn’t have a code, and so far so good. My idle was fluctuating a little before, but everything is smooth now. We’ll see how long it will last.

From the service order

Complaint – Customer states engine stalls

Cause – throttle body out of range

Correction – verify and replace t/body AT4Z 9E926 A Throttle Body

Edited by ericm007

• 1 year later...

2007 Edge unexplained stalling???

In Oct 2008 our 2007 Edge started stalling. There was no pattern to the stalling. It was infrequent and would happen while stopped at red lights or even while driving. I put gas cleaner in the tank, it was no help. I then thought maybe it was the change to winter gas. We took it to the dealer for a scheduled service appointment. They could not reproduce the stalling and said they never heard of it happening to an Edge.

The stalling actually went away for the winter. Now it is back for the last 2 weeks it has been stalling. I was thinking maybe now it was because of the change to summer gas. Or was it just a coincidence?

I searched the net and saw some posts about TPS sensors and stalling but not many. We called and we are going to leave the car with the dealer so they can do more extensive testing on it.

The one good(?) thing is I can now reproduce the stalling. While the car is still hot if I put it in neutral or park and pump the gas petal once and then again…as the tach arrow comes back down ... it stalls.

Did anyone hear of unexplained stalling in Edge’s? I will let you know what the dealer says this time. At least I can show them how to make it stall.

Thanks

Same thing is happening to us.. Just sent the car in and was told I need a new Throttle Body..

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked my 07 edge up at 5pm tonight. Wife took it for a 10 min ride, stopped, shut it off, got out and let it set for about 2-3 mins, started it, put it in reverse and it stalled :doh: ......shut it off, turned it back on and ran fine, when she got home i took it for a ride, and repeated what she had done and it didn't stall for me.....well at least the dealer isn't far away and already have the service department calling me in the morning when they open. I will show them all this info on the forum and hope they fix it with out having to reproduce the problem. I'll update when i have something

Edited by vlkster

Definitely keep an eye on it, and be firm with the dealer about the Throttle Body if the issue arises.

I will be, waiting for the service department to open so i can call them. I also wrote a nice note to ford about the issue and asked them what they plan on doing and if they want to go through what Toyota went through with the Camry :spiteful::spiteful:

Hello John,

My name is Maria and I am from Ford's Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I received your email regarding the issue of your 2007 Ford Edge.

I am sorry to learn about the stalling issue on your vehicle. I understand that you want to know if there is any safety recall concerning with your vehicle. I appreciate you have considered our assistance with this matter.

To assist you, I highly recommend that your vehicle be inspected by a Ford/Lincoln dealership to determine the cause of any symptoms your vehicle may be experiencing. Your local Ford/Lincoln dealership has factory-trained technicians, the most current engineering service information, and the specialized equipment required to resolve your vehicle concerns. If there is no coverage under applicable warranties, recalls, or ESPs, repairs and services would be your responsibility. Your next step is to make an appointment with your servicing dealership to have your vehicle diagnosed.

I have also verified that your vehicle has no open recall or Customer Satisfaction Programs (CSP) related to this issue. Please be advised that Ford Motor Company and the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) work together to proactively identify areas of concern through investigation of consumer and dealer feedback. During an investigation Ford cooperates fully with NHTSA. Due to our rigorous safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in recall or customer satisfaction programs. Ford Motor Company will repair those vehicles specifically mentioned in a recall announcement and programs are VIN specific. If a program is announced on a specific component, Ford will notify you by mail.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Maria

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

Sometimes e-mail communication does not allow us to gain additional information that may be helpful in responding to your inquiry. Should you feel that we have not adequately addressed your questions, please feel free to contact us via telephone at (800)392-3673 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. EST (Monday-Friday) / 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. EST (Saturday). Hearing-impaired callers with access to a TDD may contact 1-800-232-5952. Should you need it in the future, your reference numbers are CAS-3511621-N2Z5Z1.

For online support visit us at owner.ford.com which contains answers to frequently asked questions and links to other key product and service information.

Ford Confidentiality:

--------------------

For security reasons, please do not submit any sensitive personally identifiable information, such as credit card numbers, driver license number, SSN, DOB, etc. Thank you.

------------------- Original Message -------------------

WHAT IS YOUR VEHICLE SALES OR SERVICE ISSUE?:I just bought a 2007 ford edge with 73k miles. Bought it from a ford dealership, had it for 5 hours, the edge stalled on my wife. I've looked online and found it to be a very common and seeming dangerous problem, but i don't see a recall for it. What can be done? this is our 1st ford, came from gm/subaru ownership and if this is a common problem and ford doesn't have a recall or a reimbursement program for this, than we will be going back to gm or subaru. For a family type vehicle to have this problem and no recall, huge disappointment and i don't think ford would have let this go unnoticed. I don't think that ford would like what happened to toyota for the camary to happen to them, just saying. So will ford fix this for me or reimburse me for this?
WHAT ACTION HAS YOUR DEALER TAKEN TO ADDRESS THE ISSUE?:None at this moment, its the weekend and it happened at night after the dealership was closed. But they have been contacted. I'm contacting you also to see what ford will do and stand behind their products.
WHAT ASSISTANCE ARE YOU SEEKING FROM FORD MOTOR COMPANY?:An answer to why this is happening and there is no recall that i have found for this problem. It needs to be fixed so reimbursement if no recall.
Are you the owner of the vehicle :Yes
VIN : *****************************
MILEAGE : 73000
WHERE IS YOUR VEHICLE NOW : InPossession
HAVE YOU CONTACTED THE DEALER :Yes

This is the email i got from Ford today

Update:
I brought my edge to the dealer this morning to have them check it out. Just got a call saying it was done and I asked what was done. The service guys said there was a Technical bulletin for my car and they reprogrammed my computer and everything ran fine....I found it funny that ford themselves said there was no bulletin for my car on sat. And come Monday there is. Haha. Hope this helps some people out.

John

Edited by vlkster

• 1 month later...