Improve gas mileage

legallyyours

• 3 weeks later...

Different vehicles respond better than some with intake i.e more air getting in, than others.

I have installed K&N filters in the last 3 car/trucks and had good results with some (95 pathfinder) and little to no change in others (97 F-150 and 02 WRX).

Have done extensive work with bike intakes and they all respond greatly to any change in intake. It's worth the $50-60 bucks to me for a drop in just to try to gain something. I am also going to open up the grill right in front of intake duct as the grill is closed by a blank backing panel right in front of the intake. Drill out the panel and cold air goes right down the pipe.

We'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
Different vehicles respond better than some with intake i.e more air getting in, than others.

I have installed K&N filters in the last 3 car/trucks and had good results with some (95 pathfinder) and little to no change in others (97 F-150 and 02 WRX).

Have done extensive work with bike intakes and they all respond greatly to any change in intake. It's worth the $50-60 bucks to me for a drop in just to try to gain something. I am also going to open up the grill right in front of intake duct as the grill is closed by a blank backing panel right in front of the intake. Drill out the panel and cold air goes right down the pipe.

We'll see what happens.

post back with the results.

i'm interested in knowing how that worked for you.

Nope. There is a sign on the pump that says "contains ethanol" or "might contain ethanol". Without that sign there shouldn't be any ethanol.

Most regular grade gasoline has 10% ethanol in the mix. Mid grade has 5% and Premium has usually 0%. IIRC the Benz needed Premium which in most cases has no Ethanol. Switch to a mid or high grade if milage is your concern. Pay attention to what is listed on the pumps. The Ethanol content will be listed. I am lucky that a local Petro-Canada station still pumps 100% regulas gasiline. If I fill up elsewhere, I DO notice the difference in milage as well as power. Ethanol has 85% of the BTU's that pure gasiline has. In some cases the Ethanol has destroyed cats as seals especially in older vehicles. Some users of newer Snowmobiles have reported premature engine breakdowns due to Ethanol.

I use 100% gasoline in all my engines from the Edge, chain saws, weed wackers, generators, outboards, lawn mowers and of course the Porsches. I usually use Shell 91 and it does make a noticable difference!!!

Nope. There is a sign on the pump that says "contains ethanol" or "might contain ethanol". Without that sign there shouldn't be any ethanol.

In some states, the ethanol sign is an option--- In NJ for example, it is not required, so unless you are familiar with state law, you'll never know what you are buying.

In some states, the ethanol sign is an option--- In NJ for example, it is not required, so unless you are familiar with state law, you'll never know what you are buying.

Hi flyerjmr. I cannot comment for other States, but that information pertaining to NJ is incorrect.

:D

It is State law in New Jersey that if the fuel contains ethanol, the pump must display a sign stating the percentage of ethanol.

So you will normally see a small sign stating "The fuel delivered from this pump contains 10% ethanol", "This pump dispenses Oxygenated fuel" or some other words to that effect. However, if there is no ethanol there will be no sign saying "This fuel contains 0% ethanol".

Now, that does not mean that all gas stations follow the the law. In that case, they should be reported to the State.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

post back with the results.

i'm interested in knowing how that worked for you.

Since I bought the car, my computer has not gone above 14.8mpg for my city commuting.

First tank of gas with K&N and the drilled grill to let the air in, I hit 15.3 a couple times.

Going to let it average out for a few tanks now as it was pretty much set at 16.5 when I bought it but don't know how the previous owner drove.

It probably is a small gain but that is pretty much what I expected without messing with the computer and giving up power for MPG.

Hi flyerjmr. I cannot comment for other States, but that information pertaining to NJ is incorrect.

:D

It is State law in New Jersey that if the fuel contains ethanol, the pump must display a sign stating the percentage of ethanol.

So you will normally see a small sign stating "The fuel delivered from this pump contains 10% ethanol", "This pump dispenses Oxygenated fuel" or some other words to that effect. However, if there is no ethanol there will be no sign saying "This fuel contains 0% ethanol".

Now, that does not mean that all gas stations follow the the law. In that case, they should be reported to the State.

Hope this information helps.

Perhaps you should read this before you say that is the NJ law!

http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

Perhaps you should read this before you say that is the NJ law!

http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

Hi flyer. :D First, that information is obsolete/outdated. Or, as it clearly states in the fine print: "Note: State fuel laws and guidelines change constantly,especially with ethanol distribution. So always check your states laws directly for updates."

Second, that website is a marketing site to sell a product, i.e. kits to test for ethanol/ethanol content in fuel. It is a scare tactic site. They have a vested interest in selling a product, not providing the latest information.

Third, my previous reply was presented in a very polite manner.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi flyer. :D First, that information is obsolete/outdated. Or, as it clearly states in the fine print: "Note: State fuel laws and guidelines change constantly,especially with ethanol distribution. So always check your states laws directly for updates."

Second, that website is a marketing site to sell a product, i.e. kits to test for ethanol/ethanol content in fuel. It is a scare tactic site. They have a vested interest in selling a product, not providing the latest information.

Third, my previous reply was presented in a very polite manner.

Of course you are right but without any proof--- at least I provided a reference-- Other folks on other boards have found stations in NJ right next to each other where one is marked as having 10% ethanol and the other without any thing refering to ethanol.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but show me some proof other than a standard disclaimer statement.

What has luck got to do with this?

Of course you are right but without any proof--- at least I provided a reference-- Other folks on other boards have found stations in NJ right next to each other where one is marked as having 10% ethanol and the other without any thing refering to ethanol.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but show me some proof other than a standard disclaimer statement.

What has luck got to do with this?

Hi flyer. I always wish people luck in all of my posts. It is called being polite to people. It is the way you should always treat people, even when you have the "protection" of Internet anonymity. It is how adults behave. Only cowards treat people differently when not face to face.

Adults also skip rude remarks like "sorry to rain on your parade", since with 9 posts and being here less than three weeks, you are not impressing anyone with rudeness. There are enough rude people on the Internet without adding to the riff-raff.

We are here to help each other with information, not win debate contests.

And as I explained, your reference is no reference at all. It is a sales pitch for a product. And as I also explained, if a station in NJ does not post the ethanol content (if it contains ethanol at all), they should be reported to the state. The fact that a gas station may break the law does not change the existence of the law itself. If you were speeding today, that does not eliminate the existence of laws against speeding.

I am quite familiar with the NJ law. You refer to a site trying to sell a product as a reference. People can now choose what they would like to believe. In the end, it does not matter either way. Ethanol is a fact of life for now.

If you want to be treated as an adult, treat people politely, as I have been treating you politely.

Good luck.

Hi flyer. I always wish people luck in all of my posts. It is called being polite to people. It is the way you should always treat people, even when you have the "protection" of Internet anonymity. It is how adults behave. Only cowards treat people differently when not face to face.

Adults also skip rude remarks like "sorry to rain on your parade", since with 9 posts and being here less than three weeks, you are not impressing anyone with rudeness. There are enough rude people on the Internet without adding to the riff-raff.

We are here to help each other with information, not win debate contests.

And as I explained, your reference is no reference at all. It is a sales pitch for a product. And as I also explained, if a station in NJ does not post the ethanol content (if it contains ethanol at all), they should be reported to the state. The fact that a gas station may break the law does not change the existence of the law itself. If you were speeding today, that does not eliminate the existence of laws against speeding.

I am quite familiar with the NJ law. You refer to a site trying to sell a product as a reference. People can now choose what they would like to believe. In the end, it does not matter either way. Ethanol is a fact of life for now.

If you want to be treated as an adult, treat people politely, as I have been treating you politely.

Good luck.

Rude? You have no idea about what rude is-- If I sound rude it's because I simply don't waste time with extra words that are not subject orientated.

You state that you are familiar with the NJ law? Prove it by showing us all where what you say is stated. At least I provided a reference. No one would ever quote a law without a disclaimer if they are not of the proper authority!

All I ask is that you provide a little more than, " I am quite familiar with the NJ law." Is that asking too much? Is a direct question rude? I've been frequenting BBs for more years than I want to admit, and I always use a direct approach to a subject. If that's rude then pardon me!

Come up with proof of what you state and I'll be happy to apologize-- Otherwise, you owe me an apology!

Rude? You have no idea about what rude is-- If I sound rude it's because I simply don't waste time with extra words that are not subject orientated.

You state that you are familiar with the NJ law? Prove it by showing us all where what you say is stated. At least I provided a reference. No one would ever quote a law without a disclaimer if they are not of the proper authority!

All I ask is that you provide a little more than, " I am quite familiar with the NJ law." Is that asking too much? Is a direct question rude? I've been frequenting BBs for more years than I want to admit, and I always use a direct approach to a subject. If that's rude then pardon me!

Come up with proof of what you state and I'll be happy to apologize-- Otherwise, you owe me an apology!

Hello again, flyer. This is a simple discussion as to whether posting of ethanol percentages is or is not law in NJ, not a debate on the cure for cancer. You seem to be more interested in starting an argument with someone who does not want to argue. Again, I have been polite to you. You have not been polite. And oddly enough, to prove that you have not been rude, you choose to ratchet up the rudeness? Direct and rude are two different approaches. Yours is direct and rude.

Again, the simple fact is, your referenced link is not a valid reference. No matter how many times you ignore the fact that your reference is nothing more than a sales pitch site, it does not change the facts. Hell, if I did not know the law, I would even take someone's word before the I would accept the word of a biased sales pitch website.

And having possibly been on the Internet for more years than you may have been alive, I have very good knowledge of what rude is. And you are getting ruder with each reply. And by the way, you are asking for a reference, not a "disclaimer". In addition, my replies have been very subject oriented.

And even though I am correct, I would not ask for an apology. Again, we are simply here to provide information for others, not win some sort of freshman debate contest.

I have been providing information here for a long time, always politely to those who are polite in return. You seem to think that you can impress people by a show of temper and rudeness. Other members here can decide who is providing the correct information.

In the meantime, if I or anyone else should find any information (on an official website, not sales pitch sites for ethanol testing kits) I am sure they will jump in to provide a link.

I am even adult enough to post a correcting site if I find it, even though it would prove me incorrect. But the one you provided is not a valid site to corroborate your side. Sorry.

Other than that, you certainly are not owed an apology, since I was not rude to you, I simply corrected incorrect information.

Bottom line is I feel it is best for us to agree to disagree, since I can see no good come of us talking to each other in your current state. And again, it just does not matter.

I'll skip the "good luck", since that seems to bother you.

Edited by bbf2530

Hello again, flyer. This is a simple discussion as to whether posting of ethanol percentages is or is not law in NJ, not a debate on the cure for cancer. You seem to be more interested in starting an argument with someone who does not want to argue. Again, I have been polite to you. You have not been polite. And oddly enough, to prove that you have not been rude, you choose to ratchet up the rudeness? Direct and rude are two different approaches. Yours is direct and rude.

Again, the simple fact is, your referenced link is not a valid reference. No matter how many times you ignore the fact that your reference is nothing more than a sales pitch site, it does not change the facts. Hell, if I did not know the law, I would even take someone's word before the I would accept the word of a biased sales pitch website.

And having possibly been on the Internet for more years than you may have been alive, I have very good knowledge of what rude is. And you are getting ruder with each reply. And by the way, you are asking for a reference, not a "disclaimer". In addition, my replies have been very subject oriented.

And even though I am correct, I would not ask for an apology. Again, we are simply here to provide information for others, not win some sort of freshman debate contest.

I have been providing information here for a long time, always politely to those who are polite in return. You seem to think that you can impress people by a show of temper and rudeness. Other members here can decide who is providing the correct information.

In the meantime, if I or anyone else should find any information (on an official website, not sales pitch sites for ethanol testing kits) I am sure they will jump in to provide a link.

I am even adult enough to post a correcting site if I find it, even though it would prove me incorrect. But the one you provided is not a valid site to corroborate your side. Sorry.

Other than that, you certainly are not owed an apology, since I was not rude to you, I simply corrected incorrect information.

Bottom line is I feel it is best for us to agree to disagree, since I can see no good come of us talking to each other in your current state. And again, it just does not matter.

I'll skip the "good luck", since that seems to bother you.

Agree to disagree? Wasted time-- I at least provided a reference. You seem to think that you are the final authority on interpetation that suits your agenda-- so be it-- you win-- I'll not attempt to out talk you.

Just show me the proof and I'll apologize. PROOF or something that shows what I have presented is wrong. NOT COULD BE WRONG, but Actually wrong. :banghead:

Agree to disagree? Wasted time-- I at least provided a reference. You seem to think that you are the final authority on interpetation that suits your agenda-- so be it-- you win-- I'll not attempt to out talk you.

Just show me the proof and I'll apologize. PROOF or something that shows what I have presented is wrong. NOT COULD BE WRONG, but Actually wrong. :banghead:

Hi flyer. It is only a discussion over a a simple disagreement. I do not ask for nor expect an apology. Just be polite.

Again, this is not a freshman debate contest. No points scored for being correct or incorrect. There is no need to make this a bigger thing than need be. All I ask is you skip the rudeness. Direct is okay, rude is not.

So, to make it clear, I do not "seem to think that you (I) are the final authority on interpetation (sic) that suits your agenda". In fact, I have no agenda other than providing correct information. Simple as that.

Again however, and stating it as politely as possible, a sales pitch site is not a valid reference to anyone familiar with providing corroborating evidence.

You are willing to accept it as proof. Knowing differently, I do not. Now, until further proof is found, on either side of the discussion, we can leave it to others to decide what is correct. Ironically though, who cares? Again, ethanol is a fact of life for now.

As long as we are not rude, we can discuss things politely. An official State or Official website which states that it is or is not required is a valid reference. Whether that proves you or me correct, either way. In the meantime, as I stated earlier, pumps in NJ must state either the percentage of ethanol, or that the fuel being dispensed is "Oxygenated". And ethanol is the oxygenating agent in fuel nowadays (it used to be MTBE, another great gasoline debacle). So if the pump states that the fuel is "Oxygenated" it contains ethanol.

Bottom line: Until one of us provides an official State website that lays out the State guidelines, I do not expect you to believe me. The difference is I am not getting upset, nor am I being rude. So like I said, just skip the rudeness and agree to disagree, like adults, until some valid information can be cited or linked to.

I am a quite reasonable individual, and will discuss anything with other reasonable individuals. But once that line is crossed, then they re on their own. When we or someone else finds some official references, then we will have an answer that suits everyone (especially you). Until then, it is certain that neither of us is going to convince the other. That is why adults agree to disagree.

Having said that, as long as things are kept polite from here on, I will assume that this may have all been a big misunderstanding.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi flyer. Here is the reference you wanted. I took a few minutes to look up the regulations. It is the Federal Regulations requiring posting of additives on the pump for the consumer. In all 50 States, no exceptions:

For those familiar with Federal regulations, they will know that Federal regulations override/supersede any and all state regulation (or lack of regulation) that may exist. In fact, if you read the other pages, it specifically forbids any State from implementing any law attempting to supersede these regulations. In other words, these regulations are the final word.

Here is the Federal guidelines home page - LINK: Federal Fuel Regulations Homepage

And here is the particular sub-link dealing with additive (including ethanol) postings on the pump - LINK: Fuel Additive Labeling Regulations

So setting aside any arguments over semantics concerning whether it is Federal Law, State Law, both or just plain the law, the pumps in NJ must have the amount of ethanol posted. That is the law.

This is the perfect example of the point I was trying to make concerning that "ethanol testing" website you linked to. Even if they were correct concerning States that do not have specific laws themselves requiring "ethanol labeling", they were still being disingenuous/dishonest, since whether a state does/does not require ethanol/oxygenate labeling, the Federal Government does. In every state. All 50. And again, if any gas station does not label the pumps properly in NJ (or any State), they are still breaking the law and should be reported. But the law is the law.

This is why it is not wise to accept information contained on sales pitch websites (which are primarily trying to sell us something) as official sources and references. Their first order of business is to sell something, not provide accurate information for us poor slobs. They simply want our money.

I hope we can now put this to rest and move on.

No hard feelings on my side.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi flyer. Here is the reference you wanted. I took a few minutes to look up the regulations. It is the Federal Regulations requiring posting of additives on the pump for the consumer. In all 50 States, no exceptions:

For those familiar with Federal regulations, they will know that Federal regulations override/supersede any and all state regulation (or lack of regulation) that may exist. In fact, if you read the other pages, it specifically forbids any State from implementing any law attempting to supersede these regulations. In other words, these regulations are the final word.

Here is the Federal guidelines home page - LINK: Federal Fuel Regulations Homepage

And here is the particular sub-link dealing with additive (including ethanol) postings on the pump - LINK: Fuel Additive Labeling Regulations

So setting aside any arguments over semantics concerning whether it is Federal Law, State Law, both or just plain the law, the pumps in NJ must have the amount of ethanol posted. That is the law.

This is the perfect example of the point I was trying to make concerning that "ethanol testing" website you linked to. Even if they were correct concerning States that do not have specific laws themselves requiring "ethanol labeling", they were still being disingenuous/dishonest, since whether a state does/does not require ethanol/oxygenate labeling, the Federal Government does. In every state. All 50. And again, if any gas station does not label the pumps properly in NJ (or any State), they are still breaking the law and should be reported. But the law is the law.

This is why it is not wise to accept information contained on sales pitch websites (which are primarily trying to sell us something) as official sources and references. Their first order of business is to sell something, not provide accurate information for us poor slobs. They simply want our money.

I hope we can now put this to rest and move on.

No hard feelings on my side.

Good luck.

You did provide what I asked for and, as direct as I can say it. I STAND CORRECTED. Please accept my apologies

Edited by flyerjmr33

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to gas mileage. I just got my 2008 (used car from Enterprise Auto Sales) so it is early. But it looks to be about 19.5 in mixed driving - but with most about town and some with the AC unit running as the defroster was on a lot from the mist of all this rain we are getting. It seems that the best approach is really let the car do the job and not the gas pedal. The weight going down hills, the pull of it. I have also been listening to the 6 speed tranny and avoiding things that make it drop to a lower gear.

• 1 month later...
Getting back to gas mileage. I just got my 2008 (used car from Enterprise Auto Sales) so it is early. But it looks to be about 19.5 in mixed driving - but with most about town and some with the AC unit running as the defroster was on a lot from the mist of all this rain we are getting. It seems that the best approach is really let the car do the job and not the gas pedal. The weight going down hills, the pull of it. I have also been listening to the 6 speed tranny and avoiding things that make it drop to a lower gear.

i get 19.6 as an average. our previous GM car would also show real time MPG's, along with average, which i kinda liked.

in another post i mentioned that Mobile gas didn't use ethanol, and i stand corrected. it now uses 10% ethanol. the only other gasoline not using ethanol is Cheveron/Texaco, but there are none of those stations around here any more.

I use 0w-20 Mobil 1 and also use Lucas Complete fuel system cleaner at every oil change (5,000 miles) I now have over 25,000 miles and I average 18.0 mpg according to the computer and I drive maybe 90% city. I think this number is awesome considering the way I drive. I do not abuse her, but drive her hard........and considering she weighs over 2 tons ! mpg's is awesome! I have had my issues with this vehicle, but I love it ! I know now why Ford never took any money from that debacle "bailout" and posted a 1 BILLION dollar profit and surpassed the quality of Toyota. Ford is moving forward, and I am glad to be a part of it. I love this forum. I have been reading for several months and glad that I finally became a member. Thanks to all who post useful information on here. It is amazing how passionate people are about this car.....it really is a special car.....and all for the exception of the crappy economy, Ford is going to sell the crap out of these vehicles!

Edited by ThinLine