Improve gas mileage

legallyyours

I am interested in anything anyone has tried successfully to improve the mileage for the Edge. I traded in a Mercedes last month for a 2007 Edge 6 cyl. SEL AWD, and except for the terrifying gas mileage, feel I have a much safer and more comfortable vehicle. But this gas mileage thing is a killer. So far, we haven't been able to exceed 16.3 mpg in either city or hwy. Any suggestions? I read about the different air filters, but without the pricey modification that costs over $200., is there anything else? Thanks.

I am interested in anything anyone has tried successfully to improve the mileage for the Edge. I traded in a Mercedes last month for a 2007 Edge 6 cyl. SEL AWD, and except for the terrifying gas mileage, feel I have a much safer and more comfortable vehicle. But this gas mileage thing is a killer. So far, we haven't been able to exceed 16.3 mpg in either city or hwy. Any suggestions? I read about the different air filters, but without the pricey modification that costs over $200., is there anything else? Thanks.

Ā 

Hi legallyyours. :D If you do a "Search" for "fuel mileage", you will find a lot of threads dealing with your question.

Ā 

Just to get you started, here is a copy and paste from a previous answer to a similar question as yours (not all answers apply, since yours is a used Edge). In your case, pay more attention to #'s 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8:

Ā 

There are so many reasons why mileage varies, that it is hard to list them all. Here are just a few (keep in mind that you can personally do something about 6-7 and 8):

Ā 

1 - One month is really too soon to be concerned about fuel mileage. How many times have you filled up? 900 miles probably means only about 4 fillups, tops.

2 - Your mileage will improve as your Edge breaks in. This can take up to 5,000 miles to see the full benefit to your mileage.

3 - You cannot compare your "city/highway" driving to that of others. Or for that matter, compare your MPG's to that of others. Let's just say that Internet mileage estimates are a funny thing. Let's also say that I have seen people claim they are getting 19-20 "city" MPG. It is safe to say that what they are calling "City" driving does not qualify for the EPA definition of city driving. People sometimes have a tendency to innocently exaggerate. People also sometimes have a "faulty calculator". Also, it's the Internet so let's face it, some people just make it up as they go along.

4 - EPA figures are calculated with 100% gasoline. If you are using a 10% ethanol fuel (check the pumps when you fill-up), your mileage will drop. Ethanol and oxygenated fuels return lower MPG's.

5 - If you are in an area where the temperatures are very warm, that will adversely affect your MPG. Hot ambient temps are not conducive to good fuel mileage.

6 - Do you normally drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO", "Defrost' or "AC"? If you do, it is the equivalent of driving with your Air Conditioning on all of the time. If possible, just use the vent settings with the fan.

7 - Have you checked your tire pressure lately? If you have not, you should. Low tire pressure will decrease fuel mileage. If you do not already have one, purchase a good tire pressure gauge and inflate your tires to the cold pressure recommendation for your vehicle (about 34-35 PSI I believe) if not a pound or two higher. The Ford recommended pressure is on a sticker on the drivers side door jamb. EDITED: Do not rely on the TPMS system (Tire Pressure Monitor System) to monitor your tire pressures for you. It is not much more than a glorified "idiot light". By the time the TPMS warning light illuminates, your tire pressure is already dangerously low.

8 - Alter your driving style to maximize MPG. Avoid jackrabbit starts and stops. Coast to stop signs and lights. Don't use the gas pedal/brake pedal as on-off buttons (I am not implying that you do, just making recommendations).

Ā 

These are just a few of the many reasons why MPG will vary from person to person and vehicle to vehicle.

Ā 

If you really think there is a problem, then your best bet is to take it to the Dealer and have them check it.

Ā 

Lots of other information if you do a search for "fuel mileage".

Ā 

Concerning "different air filters". wile opinions will vary, here is mine: Automakers (including Ford) spend millions of dollars (and more) a year to try and engineer/improve fuel mileage by tenths of a mile per gallon. If achieving higher fuel mileage was as simple as installing another type of air filter in the vehicle, they would do it themselves. Save your money and do not fall for false promises.

Ā 

Hope this information helps.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi legallyyours. :D If you do a "Search" for "fuel mileage", you will find a lot of threads dealing with your question.

Ā 

Just to get you started, here is a copy and paste from a previous answer to a similar question as yours (not all answers apply, since yours is a used Edge). In your case, pay more attention to #'s 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8:

Ā 

There are so many reasons why mileage varies, that it is hard to list them all. Here are just a few (keep in mind that you can personally do something about 6-7 and 8):

Ā 

1 - One month is really too soon to be concerned about fuel mileage. How many times have you filled up? 900 miles probably means only about 4 fillups, tops.

2 - Your mileage will improve as your Edge breaks in. This can take up to 5,000 miles to see the full benefit to your mileage.

3 - You cannot compare your "city/highway" driving to that of others. Or for that matter, compare your MPG's to that of others. Let's just say that Internet mileage estimates are a funny thing. Let's also say that I have seen people claim they are getting 19-20 "city" MPG. It is safe to say that what they are calling "City" driving does not qualify for the EPA definition of city driving. People sometimes have a tendency to innocently exaggerate. People also sometimes have a "faulty calculator". Also, it's the Internet so let's face it, some people just make it up as they go along.

4 - EPA figures are calculated with 100% gasoline. If you are using a 10% ethanol fuel (check the pumps when you fill-up), your mileage will drop. Ethanol and oxygenated fuels return lower MPG's.

5 - If you are in an area where the temperatures are very warm, that will adversely affect your MPG. Hot ambient temps are not conducive to good fuel mileage.

6 - Do you normally drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO", "Defrost' or "AC"? If you do, it is the equivalent of driving with your Air Conditioning on all of the time. If possible, just use the vent settings with the fan.

7 - Have you checked your tire pressure lately? If you have not, you should. Low tire pressure will decrease fuel mileage. If you do not already have one, purchase a good tire pressure gauge and inflate your tires to the cold pressure recommendation for your vehicle (about 34-35 PSI I believe) if not a pound or two higher. The Ford recommended pressure is on a sticker on the drivers side door jamb. EDITED: Do not rely on the TPMS system (Tire Pressure Monitor System) to monitor your tire pressures for you. It is not much more than a glorified "idiot light". By the time the TPMS warning light illuminates, your tire pressure is already dangerously low.

8 - Alter your driving style to maximize MPG. Avoid jackrabbit starts and stops. Coast to stop signs and lights. Don't use the gas pedal/brake pedal as on-off buttons (I am not implying that you do, just making recommendations).

Ā 

These are just a few of the many reasons why MPG will vary from person to person and vehicle to vehicle.

Ā 

If you really think there is a problem, then your best bet is to take it to the Dealer and have them check it.

Ā 

Lots of other information if you do a search for "fuel mileage".

Ā 

Concerning "different air filters". wile opinions will vary, here is mine: Automakers (including Ford) spend millions of dollars (and more) a year to try and engineer/improve fuel mileage by tenths of a mile per gallon. If achieving higher fuel mileage was as simple as installing another type of air filter in the vehicle, they would do it themselves. Save your money and do not fall for false promises.

Ā 

Hope this information helps.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for the information. Tires are great, almost new and we have a compressor and gauge. That was the first thing we checked. I am a very safe and sane driver, so my driving is not an issue at all. The sales person told us to expect about 18 MPH locally, so the mileage is not that off if that is an accurate number. We live in the Pacific NW, so temp. isn't an issue, either. I will keep researching, but this gives me a good start to make sure I've covered the basics. I see the new Edges are coming out with some improvements in these areas, I will be curious to see how the mileage is affected. I expected to get a lot worse mileage than the supercharged 4cly. Mercedes, but I wasn't expecting the same miserable mileage my husband's Jeep Liberty was getting. He improved his mileage over 2 mpg when he replaced his air filter set up with a cone unit, but he doesn't think it's worth it for my Edge because I mostly drive local, short distances every day. I was just suprised to see the mileage wasn't much better when we took it out for a long Sunday drive on the highways.

I have a 2008 Limited Edge and have been disappointed with the gas mileage. It sounds like your driving is similar to mine. I only drive about 4 miles to work and usually my errands are not a lot more. My mileage seems to stay around 12-13 with that driving. However, when I have driven further such as to McMinnville or Salem, I have gotten up to 24 miles to the gallon. I have just figured that I am probably killing my gas mileage with my short driving. That's the only thing I am disappointed with in the Edge. We bought it to replace a gas guzzling Expedition. I am sorry to say thought, it only get probably 3 to 4 miles a gallon more than the Expedition on the short drives. Good luck and if you hear anything that helps, I would love to hear about it.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for the information. Tires are great, almost new and we have a compressor and gauge. That was the first thing we checked. I am a very safe and sane driver, so my driving is not an issue at all. The sales person told us to expect about 18 MPH locally, so the mileage is not that off if that is an accurate number. We live in the Pacific NW, so temp. isn't an issue, either. I will keep researching, but this gives me a good start to make sure I've covered the basics. I see the new Edges are coming out with some improvements in these areas, I will be curious to see how the mileage is affected. I expected to get a lot worse mileage than the supercharged 4cly. Mercedes, but I wasn't expecting the same miserable mileage my husband's Jeep Liberty was getting. He improved his mileage over 2 mpg when he replaced his air filter set up with a cone unit, but he doesn't think it's worth it for my Edge because I mostly drive local, short distances every day. I was just suprised to see the mileage wasn't much better when we took it out for a long Sunday drive on the highways.

Ā 

Ā 

Hi legally yours. :D You are welcome.

Ā 

I was just curious: What about #6? Do you regularly drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO', "AC" or "Defrost"? Having the A/C system engaged on a continuous basis will create a significant parasitic MPG loss.

Ā 

Ā 

I was just curious: What about #6? Do you regularly drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO', "AC" or "Defrost"? Having the A/C system engaged on a continuous basis will create a significant parasitic MPG loss.

Ā 

Ā 

I keep my A/C on auto & I live in a hot climate, 100 plus. I have a feeling something else is wrong.

Ā 

Ā 

Don't have to use the air very often, if anything, I will use the fan with fresh air and open the roof. I know not to leave a fan on, when the car goes in drive, everything is shut down before turning off the key.

The Edge does not like stop and go and short trips. I'm at 21mpg right now due to some short trips for chores, when I normally get 22-23mpg in town (17mile commute) and 25mpg on the road (two trips, 3000 miles and 4500 miles we averaged 25mpg on both which included mountains and flats).

Ā 

I have not noticed a difference between summer and winter mileage (in Phoenix I run the A/C constantly!). Have not used any after market items like air cleaners to improve the mileage. Just a light foot.

Ā 

Mileage increases a wee bit around 15K in my experience. But I'll tell ya, I was a bit alarmed at the poor mileage for the first few thousand miles. These motors take their time breaking in for sure.

Heads up for anybody in california. Starting this January we will start CARB4 gasoline. This will require the ethanol to be 10% of the fuel (along with ultra low sulfur and benzene content). EXPECT your mileage to drop. Tough to say how much, but it definitely will. This will also make it extremely difficult for refinerys to make. Expect the cost of fuel to rise a bit also.

You can thank, California Air Resources Board.... not the refinerys

Edited by hydro

This is the answer from #6. No I don't use the auto because I had read in another thread that that does cause the mileage to go down. I realistically only have about 7500 miles on it. Is is possible that it isn't broke in? Would love to find out what I could do to up the mileage. Otherwise I love the vehicle.

Ā 

Thanks

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This is the answer from #6. No I don't use the auto because I had read in another thread that that does cause the mileage to go down. I realistically only have about 7500 miles on it. Is is possible that it isn't broke in? Would love to find out what I could do to up the mileage. Otherwise I love the vehicle.

Ā 

Thanks

Ā 

Hi Cindy. :D I think I may have confused you there.

Ā 

Did you think I was calling you "#6" (by the post # of your first reply)? That is not what I was doing. I was asking "legallyyours" what his answer was to tip #6 in the set of 8 tips I listed in my first reply.

Ā 

That tip (#6) asked "Do you normally drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO", "Defrost' or "AC"? If you do, it is the equivalent of driving with your Air Conditioning on all of the time. If possible, just use the vent settings with the fan."

Ā 

I would never be so rude as to call you or anyone else by their post number.

Ā 

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Ā 

Edited by bbf2530

Up here in Canada I have found the following (corrected to US gals) Highway best 22 mpg, city 16 mpg and mixed is 18 mpg typ. When the temp drops the mileage drops but I suspect that is directly associated with the winter tires, warm up time etc. Gas makes a tremendous difference such that when I was in the US I actually got better mileage using mid grade in states where the regular is only 95 octane, the same in provinces that have higher ethanol in regular gas. The one thing I have clearly identified is a head wind vs a tail wind on runs where there is any proportion of highway running. This can knock 1 to 2 mpg just like that. IMHO the engine, whilst OK on horsepower needs more torque. FYI I have a 2008 AWD with 30,000 km on (so it is well broken in), I run with the HVAC on automatic, regular dinosaur oil, and drive "moderately.

Edited by Theakerr

Up here in Canada I have found the following (corrected to US gals) Highway best 22 mpg, city 16 mpg and mixed is 18 mpg typ. When the temp drops the mileage drops but I suspect that is directly associated with the winter tires, warm up time etc. Gas makes a tremendous difference such that when I was in the US I actually got better mileage using mid grade in states where the regular is only 95 octane, the same in provinces that have higher ethanol in regular gas. The one thing I have clearly identified is a head wind vs a tail wind on runs where there is any proportion of highway running. This can knock 1 to 2 mpg just like that. IMHO the engine, whilst OK on horsepower needs more torque. FYI I have a 2008 AWD with 30,000 km on (so it is well broken in), I run with the HVAC on automatic, regular dinosaur oil, and drive "moderately.

Ā 

In the U.S. they change the gasoline blends in the winter which also contributes to the winter mileage drop.

No problem. I did notice in another post here that they are talking about putting Ethanol in the fuel in California. We already have that here in Oregon and have ever since I have had the Edge. I wonder if that could be part of it. I am going into the dealership tomorrow for a couple of things. Would it be worth it to mention the gas mileage or do you think they will just tell me it isn't broke in. I have about 7200 miles on it now. I would love to figure out how to get better mileage. I do get better when I am driving on the freeway for some time such as to the dealership which is about 25 miles from my home. Thanks for any imput from anyone.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hi Cindy. :D I think I may have confused you there.

Ā 

Did you think I was calling you "#6" (by the post # of your first reply)? That is not what I was doing. I was asking "legallyyours" what his answer was to tip #6 in the set of 8 tips I listed in my first reply.

Ā 

That tip (#6) asked "Do you normally drive with your HVAC controls set to "AUTO", "Defrost' or "AC"? If you do, it is the equivalent of driving with your Air Conditioning on all of the time. If possible, just use the vent settings with the fan."

Ā 

I would never be so rude as to call you or anyone else by their post number.

Ā 

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Ā 

I am going off the computer. I do change it everytime I fill it up. I have also heard that you should reset it everytime you drive but I haven't done that. If I have been on a long drive I would prefer to see it start out high mileage rather than start out low and stay there, just a way of not letting it bother me as much.

Ā 

Ā 

Are you hand calculating the MPG or going off the computer? Reset the MPG meter every time you fill up. I can't get my Edge below 17mpg and I drive it very rough.

Wouldn't a aftermarket CAI, T/B spacer, new air K&N air filter help out with the gas mileage?

Ā 

Throttle body spacer = snake oil

Ā 

The theory that they work on (supposedly improving atomization of fuel) is ridiculous when taken in the larger context. The normal fuel injection process is all ready 99+% efficient, so the most "improvement" you could possibly get out of this (or any other gadget like the "tornado" or what-not) would be 1%.

Ā 

Besides, in the days of CAFE (e.g. the last 20-30 years) if it were "this easy" to improve the mileage of a car, don't you think that car manufacturers would be doing it (because it would benefit them immensely if they could)?

Ā 

More than one automotive forum I read have actually performed controlled tests of this sort of thing with no provable, re-creatable improvements to fuel efficiency. One of the magazines (Pop Sci or the like) also recently did a sorta-scientific test of several "fuel saver" methods and found that none worked to any degree that warranted the cost spent on the methods.

Edited by HackerF15E

• 3 weeks later...