Found it!!!

igcitng

My quest for a non-Ford Edge bumper protector that covers the bumper fully and also extends down over the bumper edges has ended. I found it and today I installed it. It looks great I think. I am super happy with it.

Does anyone want to take a guess what vehicle it was actually made for?

Pictures next post.

Edited by igcitng

Man, you took all of the fun out of it. Yep, a Toyota Scion xb. Until I started trolling the used car lots I would have never ever guessed that they are as wide as an Edge. Those things are designed like a UPS truck.

Murano too small and curvy. CX-9 to roundy. Everything else with that shape of a bumper was just too small. Geez these things are wide. Minivan ones were just fugly. And had to be installed with epoxy and I wanted nothing to do with that.

Part # 114001. Bushwacker brand, very nice. Thick and sturdy. Nice look to it.

Got it at www.streetsideauto.com for $47.40 plus $9.95 shipping. Cheapest price out there by FAR, don't bother looking for it cheaper anywhere else. Got it in two days.

The lip covers both edges that come down on the bumper. Also wide enough to cover the bumper front to back and the full width side to side. It has three rows of 3M adhesive, the strong stuff on the back. I happened to have a roll of the same stuff so I added a little piece on each end and the middle of the lip. There is no tape on that part. The protector has a very slight curve at each end but easily bends out to fit the Edge. The lines on it make it easy to center with the latch for the tailgate, install with the back open. Did not have to goof around with painters tape and measuring at all.

When I put it on I put the lip over the edge and then brought it forward and down, opposite of the instructions. And ignore the part about pulling the tape gradually. The tool that is included I still have not figured out what I was supposed to do with it. Peel off the tape and stick it on, again start with the lip. Having someone help would be good, one on each side. It does not come with an alcohol pad so I used some rubbing alcohol to clean the bumper.

Let me know if I forgot any info. This was fun.

Now will someone help me with my bugshield?

Maybe from a Scion xB?

It went up? No way! Still a good price. I saw them for over $80.00 on some sites. It is a really nice item, worth the money at twice the price I think.

I did think about ordering something to get the free shipping. But I think then they send it ground and it takes forever and the packages are destroyed being on a truck so long. I was too excited to wait. :happy feet: It took me a long time to decide that I made the right choice. Luckily I did and do not have any 'mistakes' to unload.

$61.10 is the price now from that site. :(

so, you scored. and, you could have done it cheaper. you should have bought a throw away item for $2.60 and you would have got it $50 total since free ship :)

Could not get it on. Could not get it to line up right. Seemed the way it wanted to fit naturally was way too close to the hood. Very hard to get it to curve at the edges. Had to stop drilling holes. I painted them all back up and the bug shield is living on top of the ladder in my garage.

Ford puts Ikea instructions in with it. With all of the pictures, a better diagram with hole placement would help a lot, at least get us in the neighborhood. Ticks me off because I have had countless bugshields on my Chevy's and they were no problem. But I am sure it is me, everyone else seems to be able to do it no problem. Thinking about taping it on instead.

What's wrong with your bugshield? I've been thinking about getting one.

Man, you took all of the fun out of it. Yep, a Toyota Scion xb. Until I started trolling the used car lots I would have never ever guessed that they are as wide as an Edge. Those things are designed like a UPS truck.

Murano too small and curvy. CX-9 to roundy. Everything else with that shape of a bumper was just too small. Geez these things are wide. Minivan ones were just fugly. And had to be installed with epoxy and I wanted nothing to do with that.

Part # 114001. Bushwacker brand, very nice. Thick and sturdy. Nice look to it.

Got it at www.streetsideauto.com for $47.40 plus $9.95 shipping. Cheapest price out there by FAR, don't bother looking for it cheaper anywhere else. Got it in two days.

The lip covers both edges that come down on the bumper. Also wide enough to cover the bumper front to back and the full width side to side. It has three rows of 3M adhesive, the strong stuff on the back. I happened to have a roll of the same stuff so I added a little piece on each end and the middle of the lip. There is no tape on that part. The protector has a very slight curve at each end but easily bends out to fit the Edge. The lines on it make it easy to center with the latch for the tailgate, install with the back open. Did not have to goof around with painters tape and measuring at all.

When I put it on I put the lip over the edge and then brought it forward and down, opposite of the instructions. And ignore the part about pulling the tape gradually. The tool that is included I still have not figured out what I was supposed to do with it. Peel off the tape and stick it on, again start with the lip. Having someone help would be good, one on each side. It does not come with an alcohol pad so I used some rubbing alcohol to clean the bumper.

Let me know if I forgot any info. This was fun.

Now will someone help me with my bugshield?

Thanks for sharing-I just got a used 2008 Edge-Dark Ink Blue Metallic, and rear bumper (and edge of bumper) has many scratches, tiny gouges, etc. This will cover and protect from future problems. Much appreciated.

It makes the turn. It is quite thick with a little sheen, and I am not a good photographer. Like I said, I added a small piece of tape to the middle and each end of the lip to keep it there. I am an incredibly and annoying picky perfectionist and I would have left it off and started over before I would have left a gappy bumper protector on there.

IGCITNG,

Looking closely at those photos, it appears in the photo on the lower left (the left side angled view) that there is a gap where the protector wraps around the corner. How tightly does the bend in this protector align with the rear edge of the bumper?

looks like it just may be the thickness of the rubber (looking at the pictures from the right side)

Just got it. (in fact within 24 hours of ordering it!!)

Installed it. Very easy.

I love the looks and the way it fits the curve of the back bumper.

The lip of the protector appears to be rounded where the Edge bumper has an angled lip.

No problem for me!

Thank you, igcitng, for your efforts in searching and then reporting back to us!

It fills my needs very well.

Yes, I noticed that tonite. I took a close look after something was said about the pictures. Did not notice the difference when I put it on, but it looks good still I think also. There is just nothing else out there with the lip that is close to fitting, nothing even close. I had damage to the edge where it angles, so the ones made for it would not have covered that. It was a fun quest, I love threads that get everyone talking. :stats:

I am so glad you like it. Will you please post a picture?

Just got it. (in fact within 24 hours of ordering it!!)

Installed it. Very easy.

I love the looks and the way it fits the curve of the back bumper.

The lip of the protector appears to be rounded where the Edge bumper has an angled lip.

No problem for me!

Thank you, igcitng, for your efforts in searching and then reporting back to us!

It fills my needs very well.