DRL's Daytime running lights

People keep mentioning here about having the DRL's turned off at the dealer if you want to install HID lighting. I have an '08 Limited and it does not have DRL's......I didn't even know that the Edge came with DRL's. What models/years have DRL's. My HID kit is on the way......55W slim with 5,000K and I did order the relay to wire the power source directly from the battery.

• 4 months later...

DRL are not standard turned on from factory unless you live in Canada. IF you want them on in the USA, you have to go to dealer and have them program them to be on. all models have this ability.

I would like to do this. Are you saying that it is a simple software switch and all the hardware is already installed at the factory?

Is it true DRLs where the headlights are dimmed and the parking and tail lights remain off?

How much does a dealer charge?

Why would Ford not turn them on by default if the hardware is in place? So that we can pay the dealer to turn it on? :rant:

Edited by Tribby2001

I would like to do this. Are you saying that it is a simple software switch and all the hardware is already installed at the factory?

Is it true DRLs where the headlights are dimmed and the parking and tail lights remain off?

Why would Ford not turn them on by default if the hardware is in place? So that we can pay the dealer to turn it on? :rant:

Hi Tribby. :D To answer your questions:

Yes, it is a simple programming change to enable/disable the DRL's. The Dealer does it through the Exterior Lighting menu in the diagnostic system.

Yes, in the case of the Edge the low beams run at reduced output (some vehicles use the high beams, fog light or parking lights). Rest of lights off.

Cost will vary according to Dealer. Some will do it for free if you purchased there. Others I have heard charge up to 1 hour labor/diagnostic time. It is a 15-20 minute job.

They are not enabled by default in the U.S. because they are not required (they are required by law in Canada) and many people do not like them/do not want them. Therefore, if a customer wants them they can ask to have them enabled. If a customer asks when purchasing, most Dealers will do it for free.

Not taking a side, just providing the information.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Yes, it is a simple programming change to enable/disable the DRL's. The Dealer does it through the Exterior Lighting menu in the diagnostic system.

Yes, in the case of the Edge the low beams run at reduced output (some vehicles use the high beams, fog light or parking lights). Rest of lights off.

Cost will vary according to Dealer. Some will do it for free if you purchased there. Others I have heard charge up to 1 hour labor/diagnostic time. It is a 15-20 minute job.

They are not enabled by default in the U.S. because they are not required (they are required by law in Canada) and many people do not like them/do not want them. Therefore, if a customer wants them they can ask to have them enabled. If a customer asks when purchasing, most Dealers will do it for free.

"..low beams run..."

Are you sure of this..? The object of DRLs is to have an oncoming car more readily seen at a distance, in marginal lighting situations such as at dusk or dawn. Since it is the high beams that have distance light "throw" it would seem unusual, wrong, to use the lows. The Canadian version also requires street/parking/tail/marker lights also be illuminated.

Edited by wwest

"..low beams run..."

Are you sure of this..? The object of DRLs is to have an oncoming car more readily seen at a distance, in marginal lighting situations such as at dusk or dawn. Since it is the high beams that have distance light "throw" it would seem unusual, wrong, to use the lows. The Canadian version also requires street/parking/tail/marker lights also be illuminated.

You're right that it is usually the high beams that are used for DRLs, but on many of tofay's projector lamp designs, the high and low are the same thing. From the 2008 Edge service manual:

"When the DRL is active, the SJB provides a pulse-width modulated (PWM) voltage to the low beam headlamps. This illuminates the headlamps at a reduced intensity."

DRLs aren't trying to "throw" light forward, the point isn't to send light in front, it's to illuminate the source.

In the 20 years since Canada implemented the DRL law, I've never seen any car that turned on the street/parking/tail/marker lights. The law says headlamps only are required.

You're right that it is usually the high beams that are used for DRLs, but on many of tofay's projector lamp designs, the high and low are the same thing. From the 2008 Edge service manual:

"When the DRL is active, the SJB provides a pulse-width modulated (PWM) voltage to the low beam headlamps. This illuminates the headlamps at a reduced intensity."

DRLs aren't trying to "throw" light forward, the point isn't to send light in front, it's to illuminate the source.

In the 20 years since Canada implemented the DRL law, I've never seen any car that turned on the street/parking/tail/marker lights. The law says headlamps only are required.

"..high and low are the same thing.."

Yes, the new bi-xenon and/or /projector type headlights have a solenoid operated shutter that puts them in HB mode. I would imagine the solenoid is put in HB mode for DRL operation.

When I bought my used '99 911/996 of canadian shipping origin I was told that DRLs including street/parking/etc were required.

Anyway I thought it a good idea so I have retrofitted all my cars...

"throw", illuminate, whatever turns your crank....

"..low beams run..."

Sure? Yes. And some quick/basic research on your part would show you that the information provided was correct. And as stated above, in addition to those that use the low beams, some vehicles use the fog light position, so it obviously is not a case of "high beam only".

In the Edge, the low beam positions are the DRL's. And the parking lights and taillights are not required to be enabled when DRL's are on in either the U.S. or Canada. Some vehicles may enable them anyway, but that is a manufacturer choice, not by law.

And the basis for DRL laws being enacted was not limited to "marginal lighting situations such as at dusk or dawn". It is for all daylight situations, even full sunlight. That is why, for example, there are long, straight and flat highway stretches in Florida (e.g. the infamous "Alligator Alley") where it is mandatory to turn on your headlights at all times, including broad daylight on a sunny day. The lights, no matter what position (high, low or fog), can be seen at a longer distance than the vehicle itself. Keep in mind that Florida is not exactly known as the "Land of the Midnight Sun". Might it make more sense to use the highs? Maybe, but the law does not require it.

In other words, "The object of DRLs is to have an oncoming car more readily seen at a distance" to help avoid head on/frontal collisions in all situations. Not only marginal lighting situations. And by law, it does not have to be the high beam position. Essentially any NHTSA approved frontal lighting position can be used as the DRL source.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

My dealer may be wrong - but they say that my 2009 Edge Limited (US) did not come with DRLs and there is no way to just turn them on.

They also told me that if you have DRLs - it is simple to turn them on / off via the Info and Reset switches on the dash - just like turning the backup alarm on / off.

A quick search on the Internets reveals this option:

"942 Daytime Running Lights (Fleet) - $45 Day time running lights"

So if DRLs are an option listed as 942, and your Edge did not come with that option - then there is no programming fix to give you DRLs.

My dealer may be wrong - but they say that my 2009 Edge Limited (US) did not come with DRLs and there is no way to just turn them on.

They also told me that if you have DRLs - it is simple to turn them on / off via the Info and Reset switches on the dash - just like turning the backup alarm on / off.

A quick search on the Internets reveals this option:

"942 Daytime Running Lights (Fleet) - $45 Day time running lights"

So if DRLs are an option listed as 942, and your Edge did not come with that option - then there is no programming fix to give you DRLs.

Hi computerguy. :D With all due respect, this is a dance that some of us have been through many times now for several years. We even have Certified Ford Technicians on this forum who have explained this in the past. And I had the DRL's on my neighbors Edge enabled 6 month ago. Takes the Dealer Tech 10 minutes to do the job, if they know what to do. So to answer your questions (or reply to the incorrect information you have been told):

1 - Your Dealer is wrong (and/or too lazy to contact Ford for the correct procedure), and they are not the first Dealer to be incorrect concerning this DRL subject.

2 - Any Edge can have the DRL's enabled/disabled. And any Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Dealer can perform the work.

3 - They can not be enabled/disabled through the "Info and Reset switches" (a.k.a. Drivers Information Center). If that was the case, please ask your Dealer to show you in the Owners Manual where that procedure is described. All other driver programmable features are explained in detail, with directions, in the Owners Manual. The simple answer is that the DRL's can not be enabled/disabled through the Drivers Information Center. Only the Dealer (or a shop/individual in possession of the Ford Diagnostic computer, an expensive piece of machinery) can enable/disable them. The DRL's are enabled/disabled through the "Exterior Lighting Menu" on the Diagnostic computer.

4 - The option you quote is a fleet option. It is only available on Fleet orders (rental cars fleets, taxi fleets, large corporation company cars etc.).. All that means is that a regular retail buyer (you and me) of an Edge can not order DRL's from the factory. They can still be enabled/disabled through any Ford Dealer who is competent and wishes to help their customers (again, with the Ford Dealers Diagnostic System Computer). The leap of logic you have made that since DRL's are available as a "Fleet only" option means it is not possible to enable/disable DRL's (on other Edge's) is just plain incorrect. Numerous members of this forum, and others Edge owners, have had them enabled and disabled (my neighbor, by me, included).

This is not some obscure theory we are discussing. It is absolutely possible and has been done. So if you are trying to have your DRL's enabled, you need to find a Dealer who is willing to take the time to help you.

Hope this information helps resolve your confusion on the subject..

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for clearing that up :yup:

Their main service tech was away at school - so I'll stop back by in a day or two and push the issue.

The sales managed that custom ordered my Edge also stated that he did not order the DRL option when he configured my vehicle.

Thanks again - I'll post what happens next dealer visit.

Thanks for clearing that up :yup:

Their main service tech was away at school - so I'll stop back by in a day or two and push the issue.

The sales managed that custom ordered my Edge also stated that he did not order the DRL option when he configured my vehicle.

Thanks again - I'll post what happens next dealer visit.

The sales manager not ordering it doesn't change the fact that it can still be done. I had mine done and was charged an half hour labor (was hoping it would have been free)

Good luck and if you get no satisfaction then go to another dealer

The sales manager not ordering it doesn't change the fact that it can still be done. I had mine done and was charged an half hour labor (was hoping it would have been free)

Not to mention that it isn't something that can be ordered anyway. It's either standard (in Canada) or not (U.S.). There is no DRL option.

OK - thanks to all your info, I now have DRLs :hyper:

I live in a small town, and the service dept at the local dealership honestly did not know that DRLs could be turned on / off on an Edge through the computer.

I know them pretty well, and they had to find the info in the service manual. Once they read it, it only took a few minutes to have them enabled.

They did not charge for the service.

- Thanks

OK - thanks to all your info, I now have DRLs :hyper:

I live in a small town, and the service dept at the local dealership honestly did not know that DRLs could be turned on / off on an Edge through the computer.

I know them pretty well, and they had to find the info in the service manual. Once they read it, it only took a few minutes to have them enabled.

They did not charge for the service.

- Thanks

Glad you got it resolved :)

Well, to add more confusion to this topic.

I went to my U.S. Ford dealer and had the DRL "Enabled" on my 2010 Edge just as described elsewhere. It took all but 10 minutes and no charge. The mechanic said the 2010 Edge's are the first year with the DRL "modules" installed at the factory. Previous years (2007-2009) required the purchase of a $110 DRL module.

LOL! Take that with a grain of salt.

Well, to add more confusion to this topic.

I went to my U.S. Ford dealer and had the DRL "Enabled" on my 2010 Edge just as described elsewhere. It took all but 10 minutes and no charge. The mechanic said the 2010 Edge's are the first year with the DRL "modules" installed at the factory. Previous years (2007-2009) required the purchase of a $110 DRL module.

LOL! Take that with a grain of salt.

The dealership is 100% wrong. I have an 07 and had them enabled

• 9 months later...

Hi computerguy. :D With all due respect, this is a dance that some of us have been through many times now for several years. We even have Certified Ford Technicians on this forum who have explained this in the past. And I had the DRL's on my neighbors Edge enabled 6 month ago. Takes the Dealer Tech 10 minutes to do the job, if they know what to do. So to answer your questions (or reply to the incorrect information you have been told):

1 - Your Dealer is wrong (and/or too lazy to contact Ford for the correct procedure), and they are not the first Dealer to be incorrect concerning this DRL subject.

2 - Any Edge can have the DRL's enabled/disabled. And any Ford/Lincoln-Mercury Dealer can perform the work.

3 - They can not be enabled/disabled through the "Info and Reset switches" (a.k.a. Drivers Information Center). If that was the case, please ask your Dealer to show you in the Owners Manual where that procedure is described. All other driver programmable features are explained in detail, with directions, in the Owners Manual. The simple answer is that the DRL's can not be enabled/disabled through the Drivers Information Center. Only the Dealer (or a shop/individual in possession of the Ford Diagnostic computer, an expensive piece of machinery) can enable/disable them. The DRL's are enabled/disabled through the "Exterior Lighting Menu" on the Diagnostic computer.

4 - The option you quote is a fleet option. It is only available on Fleet orders (rental cars fleets, taxi fleets, large corporation company cars etc.).. All that means is that a regular retail buyer (you and me) of an Edge can not order DRL's from the factory. They can still be enabled/disabled through any Ford Dealer who is competent and wishes to help their customers (again, with the Ford Dealers Diagnostic System Computer). The leap of logic you have made that since DRL's are available as a "Fleet only" option means it is not possible to enable/disable DRL's (on other Edge's) is just plain incorrect. Numerous members of this forum, and others Edge owners, have had them enabled and disabled (my neighbor, by me, included).

This is not some obscure theory we are discussing. It is absolutely possible and has been done. So if you are trying to have your DRL's enabled, you need to find a Dealer who is willing to take the time to help you.

Hope this information helps resolve your confusion on the subject..