DRL's Daytime running lights

• 1 month later...

I had them on my 2007. I now have a 2011 and tried 2 separate dealers with both saying NO WAY to do it. No option exists in their software as it did in previous models

That's terrible! Especially with the LED strips in the front now. That would be a great feature ala Audi/Porsche/Benz to really make the car stand out to oncoming traffic.

I just made up my wire haness with relay and diodes to hook up my vertical led strip lights as DRLs. I will be installing this set up Sat. the 19th...will post pics when done. Hope to install a 5k hid kit at the same time. I just can't decide which kit to go with, retro/solutions sounds good but is way more expensive compared to others...we will see!

• 2 weeks later...

I just made up my wire haness with relay and diodes to hook up my vertical led strip lights as DRLs. I will be installing this set up Sat. the 19th...will post pics when done. Hope to install a 5k hid kit at the same time. I just can't decide which kit to go with, retro/solutions sounds good but is way more expensive compared to others...we will see!

Looking forward to some pics, and hopefully a write up if all is sucessful!

• 2 months later...

Bump-da-bump!

yogregb, you ever finish this up? Pics?

• 2 years later...

I actually have them sitting in my garage. I have a 2013 Edge with the DRL's turned on by the dealer. So I will install these and use the original power wire on the existing light strip. This will give me both the amber Ford DRL (turn signal bulb) as well as an amber light bar strip. At night the new light strip will be white and will be brighter then the original factory strips

Keep in mind that according to Daytime Bright lights it will void the warranty on the lights. This will mean you just use the original factory wire plug connector. It will also have 2 additional wires coming out the side. One wire goes to the power wire for the turn signals (so when you activate the turn signal the new light strip also flashes amber) Now with me having the factory DRL turned on it means I will have the AMBER LED light strip always on. The 2nd wire goes to the headlight power wire that tells the LED strip to dim as they will be TOO bright at night. Doing it this way you will not need the supplied power harness that connects to a power module with a wire running to the fuse panel under the hood

At any time the strips can show only the LED amber strip or the white LED strip NOT BOTH. So at night if driving the White LED's will be on, if you turn on the turn signal the one side will alternate amber and white until the turn signal flasher is cancelled

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

Hi guys! I've been pursuing this DRL issue ever since I purchased my 13 Limited. I live in Northern California and, not just my dealership, but every dealership within a 100 mile radius all tell me the same thing... "We are not allowed to tamper with the DRL settings." It's not a question of knowledge; they simply cannot (or will not) do it. Hmmm... I even called Ford Customer Relations who actually told me pretty much the same thing, "It is not possible to turn on the DRL's." I envy you folks in other states where this seems to be a no-brainer. I feel like I live in "Conspirafornia." :gaah: LOL.

Edited by PR3LL707

Went through the same song and dance with my dealer. Was told that it was not available on my 09, only on later models. Had to install additional hardware, etc. I took in a copy of the electrical schematics and showed the service manager how to enable the DRL. He looked confused and embarrassed. I offered to pay 1/2 hour labor to try and they did. Twenty minutes later they came and got me telling me my DRL's were on.

• Like 2

Over on the Fusion forum there is a long thread where one of the Ford reps made a statement that Ford's policy is to not allow the dealers to enable DRLs. There are probably a couple reasons, but I suspect the main one is a liability risk. There are many different types of DRLs (headlamps at reduced power, fog lamps, turn signals and so on) and there are DRL requirements such as intensity, height off the ground, distance from other lamps and so on. Since Ford's modules are now common across all vehicles, it is possible to turn on combinations of DRLs that do not meet the legal requirements. For example maybe you could turn on the turn signal bulb in an Edge as a DRL in the software, but in the Edge that bulb is too close to the headlight to meet the requirement, so essentially the dealer could create an illegal situation.

Ford's apparently decided they'd rather just tell the dealers "don't do it" rather than create a system that would ensure that the DRLs were turned on correctly.

• Like 2

I'm not agreeing with that. All Ford vehicles going to Canada must have them thereby being the reason they can be turned on. Plus it is a very simple operation in turning them on. Just need to plug into the Ford computer menu at the dealership. I have had 3 Ford edges ( 2007, 2011, and 2013 ) and all have been DRL activated once I told the service department where to look. I still believe its a California restriction if at all. On my 2013 I told the salesman that the sale is dependant on the DRL's being turned on at no charge which they were. My 2007 I had to pay half hour labor

Additionally I was told if the vehicle has HID headlamps then the turn signal bulb would be used, as in my case

It would also make sense that the computer would be specific for each individual vehicle as to what needs to be tuned on.

Just my opinion

What he's saying is there could be other vehicles or models where some combination may be illegal in the U.S. at least in some states, so rather than Ford trying to document when it's legal vs. not legal and keep up with it they just did a blanket statement to limit their liability. Doesn't mean it can't be done, just a reason why Ford doesn't document it.