Ticking Dashboard noise

asifmehdi

I bought a 2009 Ford Edge SEL in April and after 1000 miles, I started hearing a ticking noise from my dashboard as if something was hitting my windshield. This happens when I am driving on road bumps and bad road. In spite of taking it to the dealer 4 to 5 times, they told me that they could never reproduce while I can hear it every morning when I drive to my office. This is really frustrating that after spending so much money I end up with a car like this. All my explanations have fallen on deaf ears at the dealership. Did anybody ever experience this problem? This noise really bothers me every day. Any suggestions are welcome.

The best thing would be to bring it to the dealer when the noise is present. Ride with the service tech & verify they can hear it.

I did do that few times. On one of the drives, the tech was able to hear it when it was occurring. The tech told that he is not sure what that noise is and suggested that I will be hearing noises in a brand new car unless its a $100000 Mercedes and have to live without even trying much to figure what it is. Also left the car overnight as this problem occurs more in the mornings than in the afternoon or evening, but the next day he tells me he did not hear anything. Well, my 1987 Audi never made any kind of such noises or even my Mazda. Thinking of taking it to a different dealership.

I did do that few times. On one of the drives, the tech was able to hear it when it was occurring. The tech told that he is not sure what that noise is and suggested that I will be hearing noises in a brand new car unless its a $100000 Mercedes and have to live without even trying much to figure what it is. Also left the car overnight as this problem occurs more in the mornings than in the afternoon or evening, but the next day he tells me he did not hear anything. Well, my 1987 Audi never made any kind of such noises or even my Mazda. Thinking of taking it to a different dealership.

Ā 

Ā 

The car should not make that noise. You really need to take it to another dealership to have it looked at. That tech should be ashamed of himselft to tell you something like that.

My wifes edge also has a ticking noise from somewhere behind the steering wheel. It is not always present, but getting a service tech to ride in the car always makes it go away. On two occasions, I have had the ticking noise while driving to the dealership, only to have it disappear as soon as the service guy enters the car.

It does sound like it comes from near the steering column, but does not happen when turning. It is more like a rattle when going over uneven road surfaces.

Ā 

EDIT - Another case of typing a reply at the same time as the previous poster. Some of my information is now repetitive.

Ā 

Ā 

Hi feelin edgy. :D If it occurs on bumps/uneven roads etc, there is a chance it is a loose wiring harness or electrical connector that is rattling around behind the dash.

Ā 

As others can probably testify to, these things are difficult to pin down. Sound has a tendency to "travel", making the source hard to ascertain.

Ā 

As druck pointed out, I would definitely recommend trying another Dealer for help. No reason you should get an answer like "You will have to live with it for less than $100,000" from the Tech.

Ā 

In the mean time, you could try a little bit of self-help. Look under the dash and see if there are any loose wiring harnesses, connectors or other problem areas. If there are, use a little electrical tape or foam to insulate/tighten things up.

Ā 

But definitely find a new Dealership for your service. And when you find a new one that you are satisfied with, let the old one know why you were dissatisfied with their service. Politely of course.

Ā 

Let us know what you find out.

Ā 

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I have indeed looked under the dash and not found anything obvious. It is a mechanical rattle, not an electronic tick. It has not been doing it much of late, maybe the last time I had the service tech ride with me, it fixed it. :rolleyes:

Ā 

Today it was worse, when I went out for Lunch. I drove the whole way and back for my Lunch, trying to identify the source. It looks like its coming right near the windshield on the driver side (looks like a small penny or a pin is hitting the windshield). As edgy pointed out, it does not happen many times, but this week its been worse. One thing which changed is that the temperatures here in Michigan dropped down to 50's and 60's this week.

Ā 

I have escalated this to Ford Customer Service and they have replied back to me saying that someone will contact me within 2 business days. Lets see what the Customer service has to say. In the meantime, I will try to find a new dealer and show him the problem. I hope I get lucky this time

did you peep under the dash and see if something is swinging loose and smacking into something? or is it a constant tick tick tick tick tick? always the same loudness? always the same tempo between clicks? electronic click or rattle sound click?

Ā 

It sounds more like mechanical tick as if something small the size of a pin is hitting the windshield from within. It happens only when you hit a bump on the road. Now it does not happen on each and every bump and its not like it happens only on big bumps and not on small bumps. Its very erratic but very annoying sometimes. Its become worse this week with cold coming in.

Edited by asifmehdi

It's not necessarily the windshield itself, rather the frame around it. I am not sure if this is the culprit as I would have to hear the sound in person. It will usually get worse the colder it gets. This should not be happening as this may mean a structural defect in the frame of the car, possibly a missed weld or loose bolt somewhere. Take Drucks advice and take it to another dealer. This seems to be an isolated issue, and do not take "those noises are normal" for an answer. Also, I would call the Ford hotline and report the dealership where you were told that you have to spend $100,000.00 to have a car that makes no unusual noises........Ford will contact this dealer and reprecussions will ensue.

Good day to all,

Ā 

I just bought a 2010 Ford Edge limited FWD.... 44 days old and hearing something vibrating in the driver door.....can't really pinpoint where the noise is coming from but it definitely feels like something's loose. Oddly, this noise only surfaces on bumpy roads, i.e if the truck vibrates the noise is present.... getting more and more loud as the days go by.... took it to the dealer 2 weeks ago and luck have it.... the noise was gone.... We have noticed that the noise is more present when we drive at higher speeds (70KM and up)... It's driving me nuts so I called the dealer again and taking it in tomorrow night. I could understand if the truck was a couple of years old but 1 month into it!!!! For the price I paid this vehicle it is unacceptable! Luckily, the dealer seems to be very cooperative and willing to help figuring out the problem.... I will keep you posted as to what they find out....

Someone here had a similar problem with that noise and their dealership found that it was a loose door latch or hinge (i can't remember). It sounded like it was coming from lower in the dash.

Ā 

I've got a similar noise as well. I haven't had a chance to do any investigating. It sounds like its coming from under my seat or under the dash on the driver's side. It's when going over bumps at moderate speeds. I've heard windshield popping before in other cars that I've owned, and this noise doesn't sound like it.

Back in the 60's or early 70's (?-don't remember every detail of the story) my grandfather bought a new car and there was a noise coming from one of the doors that no one could figure out. My grandpa was a mechanic and owned a Union 76 station until the 70's, so he went looking for it. Removed the passenger door panel and found a whiskey bottle.

just got back from the dealer...good news is the tech guy agreed that there is a noise...bad news is they can't locate the problem but the noise seems to definitely be coming from the driver door...they have to wait for the OK from FORD to dismantle the door completely...incidently on my way back home on the highway I was going roughly 110KM/H (60MPh) and heard the noise almost constantly...sounded like a bee buzing...and the noise seem to travel from the side door to the dash.....pretty weird!!!! should get feedback from them tomorrow...keep you guys posted...

After escalating to Ford customer service, they sent me to a different dealer. They had my car for the whole day and said that they fixed a lose cable behind my center stack. Guess what, nothing changed, still hear it and its very annoying. Its already been to the dealer 3 times for this issue with no luck. Going to let the customer service know about it.

Ā 

Is there a way do you think Ford can replace it or declare it a lemon?

• 3 months later...

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!! Or, maybe, I should say my dealer found it. I was having this famous "ticking" or rattle, and it seemed to be coming from the dashboard. I tried to find it, could not. So, as a last resort I took it to my dealer. They found it in about 10 minutes. IT WAS NOT IN THE DASH! It was the inside rear view mrrror!!!!!!!!!!!! They changed it out (under warranty for my 2008 Edge), and now my Edge is blissfully quiet. Great dealer and fanstastic technician.

Ā 

I hope this helps you guys find you rattle.

Ā 

S

Edited by Shackelford