I've got a 07 SE with the "Auto Lamps with Wiper Activation" feature, that is "when turn on the windshield wipers, the headlights automatically come on". I can't believe I actually paid extra money for this feature. WHAT A BONEHEAD OF ENGINEERING!!!!!!

Let me give you the scenario....(I'm sure those of you who are unfortunate enough to have paid extra for this goofy feature have had it happen to you also. ) It's a rainy dark day, you turn on the wipers, the headlights come on...that's good right..... but also the dash lights dim down to nighttime glow and you can't see the gauges or the radio readout!

If Ford want's us to be safe and run with our lights on, why not just equip their vehicles with daytime running lights and spare us the goofy "headlights on with wipers" feature.

Anyone else have this irritation??

It's the law in most states that your lights must be on when it's raining - not to mention it's a really, really good idea. I've never had a problem seeing the gauges in with or without the lights on during the day or night or in between and that includes 4 years with my Fusion and 1.5 with the Edge. Have you tried adjusting the gauge brightness?

It's the law in most states that your lights must be on when it's raining - not to mention it's a really, really good idea. I've never had a problem seeing the gauges in with or without the lights on during the day or night or in between and that includes 4 years with my Fusion and 1.5 with the Edge. Have you tried adjusting the gauge brightness?

I know all about state laws and headlights, and I'm all for it. I'm also not so stupid as to not know how to adjust my dash-lights. Do you really want to do that every time you use your wipers in daylight hours?

The point I was attempting to make was why not just equip the Ford with full-time daytime running lights. That way we're safe rain or shine!

Maybe this just all went over your heads......

why not just equip the Ford with full-time daytime running lights. That way we're safe rain or shine!

Maybe this just all went over your heads......

Those daytime running lights won't do you much good when the car BEHIND you runs into you because the tail lights aren't on.

Maybe that just went over your head.....

Its funny sometimes how things change. I remember when GM came out with DRL's, people were complaining they didn't want their lights on during the day. Some thought they would become so used to seeing lights, they wouldn't notice emergency vehicles approaching. Some swore they wouldn't buy GM because of them.

FYI

Every Edge is equipped with DRL's. They just need to be turned on by the dealer. I paid about 50.00 to have them turned on (half hour shop labor). I have an '07 Edge. DRL's are not as bright as regular headlights and that is also a reason why they are no substitute in the rain. I also love my lights on with wiper function and never had an issue.

FYI

Every Edge is equipped with DRL's. They just need to be turned on by the dealer. I paid about 50.00 to have them turned on (half hour shop labor). I have an '07 Edge. DRL's are not as bright as regular headlights and that is also a reason why they are no substitute in the rain. I also love my lights on with wiper function and never had an issue.

i didn't know that!

i'd love to have full time DRL's on our Edge.

is this true? i'd hate to run to the dealer just to have them laugh at me...lol

All they need to do is hook up the Edge to the computer and enable them. If your ford dealer can't or won't help you then take it to another dealer. I found the going rate is a half hour of the labor charge, some may not even charge you

Good luck

i mentioned that to the sales manager where i bought our Edge.

he told me that no Fords have DRL's.....lol...and that there is no way to have them.

i'm going to go back and talk to the service manager. i even read about them in the service manual.

what's the deal with DRL's and Ford? if they're available, why not just do it? obviously, even sales managers aren't aware they have them.

i mentioned that to the sales manager where i bought our Edge.

he told me that no Fords have DRL's.....lol...and that there is no way to have them.

i'm going to go back and talk to the service manager. i even read about them in the service manual.

what's the deal with DRL's and Ford? if they're available, why not just do it? obviously, even sales managers aren't aware they have them.

There are people that just don't like them. But I assure you it is nothing more than hooking up the Edge to the computer to turn them on. When I asked my dealer to turn them on he was skeptical because it was never done at his dealership. Once the mechanic got my car it was quickly found out it could indeed be done. Cost me a half hour labor :)

I just want to clear something up. Not all edges can have the DRL's turned on. I know because I've tried. I believe only cars with auto lamps can have them turned on. I don't know why that is or if its changed on newer models. The car I tried on was an 07 and this was back in 07. Just wanted to let you know.

I just want to clear something up. Not all edges can have the DRL's turned on. I know because I've tried. I believe only cars with auto lamps can have them turned on. I don't know why that is or if its changed on newer models. The car I tried on was an 07 and this was back in 07. Just wanted to let you know.

Not sure if that is a fact or not but my Edge is an SEL Plus which DOES have Auto Lamps. you may be right

Not sure if that is a fact or not but my Edge is an SEL Plus which DOES have Auto Lamps. you may be right

The vehicle I was working on was an 07 SE without auto lights. There was no option to turn them on. On my 07 SEL with autolights I can go in and turn them on if I want to. I'm pretty sure other people on here have run into the same problem.

Mine is a 2010 SE with autolamps. I asked to have the DRL's turned on and the answer from service department was "not available on this model"

I think (THINK) the problem is that the Ford service computer software has the option to turn on the lamps disabled in any area that doesn't require them by law (eg Canada) So even tho the lamps COULD be turned on, it cannot be done with the service department computer.

This is from the service manual:

"Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

The SJB can be configured to turn the DRL on for this vehicle. Refer to MODULE CONFIGURATION

article for additional information on this programmable parameter.

The DRL system operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity.

The SJB supplies pulse-width modulated (PWM) voltage to illuminate the low beam headlamps at a reduced

intensity."

It seems to me this is a knee jerk reaction from Ford in response to the fact that GM pioneered DRL's and the research proving they are effective.

I'f anyone can find a way around this, I'd sure like to know.

Mine is a 2010 SE with autolamps. I asked to have the DRL's turned on and the answer from service department was "not available on this model"

I think (THINK) the problem is that the Ford service computer software has the option to turn on the lamps disabled in any area that doesn't require them by law (eg Canada) So even tho the lamps COULD be turned on, it cannot be done with the service department computer.

This is from the service manual:

"Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

The SJB can be configured to turn the DRL on for this vehicle. Refer to MODULE CONFIGURATION

article for additional information on this programmable parameter.

The DRL system operates the low beam headlamps at a reduced intensity.

The SJB supplies pulse-width modulated (PWM) voltage to illuminate the low beam headlamps at a reduced

intensity."

It seems to me this is a knee jerk reaction from Ford in response to the fact that GM pioneered DRL's and the research proving they are effective.

I'f anyone can find a way around this, I'd sure like to know.

Nope - many, many people have had their DRLs enabled here in the states. It might be that some low end models don't have the Smart Junction Box so they won't allow it. The dealership either doesn't know how or doesn't want to in most cases.

talked to the service manager. he said he wasn't aware that the day time running lights could be turned on, but i told to him that the Edge service manual explains how to do this.

he said that if the service manual tells his tech how it's done, then he'll have them do it for me. obviously, it should be a first for that dealership to do this.

thanks for the heads up on this one, people!

• 2 weeks later...

ok...went to the dealer and dropped the Edge off for some things to be done, including the DRL's. i should mention that it does have auto lights.

just got off the phone and the guy tells me that they might work sometimes and they might not! they claimed they entered the codes according to the manuals etc etc. what's up with that? either they are coded in or not. i'll find out when i pick it up later tonight what's going on with that.

he then wanted to charge me $70...i said yea, right....i'm not paying $70 for a safety feature that is (supposedly) already available on my car.

after discussing it, they agreed not to charge me.

i love the Edge, but dealers don't do Ford much justice.

when this is over with, i intend to email Ford and let them know how i feel about this issue.

my 1998 chevy cargo van has DRL's and i like them. it's beyond me why Ford chooses to make them so mysterious.

If they're so fantastic, why aren't they mandated by the gov't and why don't any other mfrs make them standard here in the U.S.?