o8 edge ptu

hovy

I am on the second (third if you count the one that came with the car) ptu. Has anyone else had the same problem or do I just have bad luck??

Hi hovy. :D Unfortunately, the answer to both your questions is yes. Others have had the problem and you have had the bad luck to be one of them.

There area several threads dealing with this problem. If you do a site search, you will find them.

While only a small percentage of Edge/MKX AWD owners have had the problem, that fact is of little comfort to those who do.

Make a service appointment and good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

The PTU problem is weather related. It is particularly bad in freezing temperatures like we get here on the Canadian Prairies. I had the PTU on my Egde fixed last year and have been waiting for cold weather to see if it re-appears. This week it has been in the minus 30 range so I have smelt some smoke. Last Friday the dealer inspected the PTU and said it was too dirty to tell. So they have cleaned it and said when I come in to get the coolant flush they will inspect it again.

Therefore I can't say that it has been fixed. I will let everyone know when I am satisfied with the fix. In the mean time I am now freezing my ass off and will be starting up my new blog www.freezinedge.com to talk about the problem I am having with a heater.

My vehicle is one year old and already I have put up with more problems that I have had with most other vehicles that have bought used!

Gary

www.smokinedge.com - the stinkin PTU problem with the Ford Edge

www.freezinedge.com - the frigid Heater Core problem with the Ford Edge

Stay Tuned for my next web site: www.shouldofboughtavenza.com

Edited by garyedwardsmith

I think you just like to hear yourself complain. What's next? www.badrightrearwheelbearingedge.com? www.trannyhesitatesshiftingfrom2ndto3rdedge.com?

lol, Ford is bypassed Toyota in in quality and is becoming one of the most reliable automaker in the world, people who thinks Ford is unreliable should google Mrcedes, BMW or GM transmision problems and see what some people say......

lol, Ford is bypassed Toyota in in quality and is becoming one of the most reliable automaker in the world, people who thinks Ford is unreliable should google Mrcedes, BMW or GM transmision problems and see what some people say......

You should hear a friend talk about his GREAT and PERFECT Honda.

Well great & perfect till he bought his 06 Civic, this is his 6th and last Honda.

I’m not exaggerating.

On the way from the dealer at the 15 mile mark the right window fell into the door

A FEW weeks later RECALL bad shocks

In 07 received an extended warranty, odometer reads wrong, class action lawsuit

Now his transmission is howling (only 7M google hits http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...%22&aqi=g10 )

AND several other issues! He IS NOT happy.

OH and he won’t be buying a Toyota his brother-in-law has a white 2000 Tacoma.

ab

If it becomes a problem for my vehicle those are options too?

When I am paying a $1,000/month for a vehicle I get pissed when it doesn't work right.

And I will not appologize to you, Ford or anyone else.

I expect better. It is your choice if you accept crappy service.

Gary

Any problem with the PTU Gary??

If it becomes a problem for my vehicle those are options too?

When I am paying a $1,000/month for a vehicle I get pissed when it doesn't work right.

And I will not appologize to you, Ford or anyone else.

I expect better. It is your choice if you accept crappy service.

Gary

$1,000/month........what the hell are you driving, a cayenne ? Somebody got raped at the dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, we are in the same boat. Two replaced seals (updated version) and one complete PTU because they discovered a chip in the seal face on the original PTU. One would have figured the new PTU would have the issue solved but within a couple months (cold weather) it was leakin again. They suspect the new PTU had the old style seal in it.

The wait now is till the middle of January for a back ordered seal.

Almost makes me think the problem may be related to the axel shaft diameter or line up instead of the seals but i am no Ford engineer.

The very best thing about this is the service dept at my dealership. They have bent over backwards to make sure we have a vehicle to drive while ours is sitting waiting.

Other than the crappy 18" rims (corrosion on the outer lip) that they replaced,

Air cond. that smells now and then ( just need to be carefull about turning it off and blowing out the vents before stopping) ( not really exceptable), and takes forever to cool down, we have enjoyed our purchase.

No vehicle is going to be perfect!!! (extended warranty, extended warranty, extended warranty!!!)

A 3000km holiday thru the Oregon/Washington/B.C. mountains had us at about 10.5ltrs/100km average in our Limited AWD loaded with 4 adults and gear.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='silverbullet' date='02 January 2010 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1262457402' post='34405']

Yup, we are in the same boat. Two replaced seals (updated version) and one complete PTU because they discovered a chip in the seal face on the original PTU. One would have figured the new PTU would have the issue solved but within a couple months (cold weather) it was leakin again. They suspect the new PTU had the old style seal in it.

Mine has had the seal replaced four or five times, PTU replaced entirely twice over 13 month period. My dealer, unfortunately, does not consider the car "undrivable' while we ha ve been waiting (and waiting and waiting) for parts to come off backorder. We have never been able to get a loaner and many other edge owners have spoken with have same problem. Weather here is almost always cold, so problem has been nearly continuous. Seal lasts 2-5000 miles.

Otherwise I really like the fords. I had a freestyle for 2 years, and should have gotten another one. That was a great car.

[quote name='silverbullet' date='02 January 2010 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1262457402' post='34405']

Mine has had the seal replaced four or five times, PTU replaced entirely twice over 13 month period. My dealer, unfortunately, does not consider the car "undrivable' while we ha ve been waiting (and waiting and waiting) for parts to come off backorder. We have never been able to get a loaner and many other edge owners have spoken with have same problem. Weather here is almost always cold, so problem has been nearly continuous. Seal lasts 2-5000 miles.

Otherwise I really like the fords. I had a freestyle for 2 years, and should have gotten another one. That was a great car.

I took my 09 on Thursday and updated seals were installed on Friday. I would go to another dealer if you have to wait so long....

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 2008 Edge Limited AWD and I recently started to smell the "Burning Antifreeze" like odour when coming off the highway and waiting at the first stoplight.

After reviewing this board it was easy to suspect my PTU seal was leaking.

I brought it to my dealer on the weekend and confirmed that the PTU seal was leaking. They said they had the old seal in stock but they wanted order the new seal in order to avoid repeated visits in the future.

Once fixed, hopefully this will not be a repeated problem. Time will tell.

Other than that the vehicle has been great

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the second (third if you count the one that came with the car) ptu. Has anyone else had the same problem or do I just have bad luck??

My 2008 is is in the shop now for a replacement seal. Third day now! Only have had the car less than a month. had 30,000 miles on it when purchased.

Do you guys always attack each other like this when someone posts something? Someone asks about PTU problems and this post turned into a sound board about car payments and faux websites. Where are the mods and admins to get a handle on this? I registered to this site because I thought there were a bunch of intelligent people here willing to discuss their Edge/MKX automobiles, but from what I've been reading, it's nothing more than a bunch of kids trying to get the upper hand.

• Like 1

Hey Lonstar ! I don't really see anyone who was "attacked" but if your referring to Gary.....he's just a miserable whiney D-bag. Sorry you feel the way you do, but this site does offer a plethora of good info and good people. Seems you want to gain the "upper hand" by posting your comments about others on this forum.....further perpetuating the issues you stated above. Have a great day !

• 1 month later...

I own a 2008 Edge Limited AWD and I recently started to smell the "Burning Antifreeze" like odour when coming off the highway and waiting at the first stoplight.

After reviewing this board it was easy to suspect my PTU seal was leaking.

I brought it to my dealer on the weekend and confirmed that the PTU seal was leaking. They said they had the old seal in stock but they wanted order the new seal in order to avoid repeated visits in the future.

Once fixed, hopefully this will not be a repeated problem. Time will tell.

Other than that the vehicle has been great

Just an update.....

Well I had to wait 6 weeks but my dealership got the most recent PTU seal and replaced the leaking one. It has been about a month now and no more nasty smell after coming off the highway. Time will tell if the the new seal solves the problem once and for all.

I brought my 07-MKX in on Monday and picked it up on Tuesday with a replaced seal, drove all the way to work without having to shut heater/vent off at stop lights for the first time. We'll see how long it lasts (my hope is for ever) but still does not sound like chances are good.