2011 Ford Edge Introduced

Edge Guide

Personally I think the Edge is geared towards Females as are most SUV/CUV. I mainly see women driving these vehicles and an Article in USA Today shows that "44% of Escape buyers are women, vs. 32% of Explorer buyers; women are 55% of Liberty buyers." Now theres nothing wrong with men driving SUV/CUV and doesn't reflect on their manliness. Im just making an observation. As far as gloves and the new touch panel for the Temp control, Waldo is correct. Regardless of who the drive is and wether it cold enough to warrant wearing gloves, it will effect the functionality of the touch interface for adjusting the weather.

Love the projector headlight. Cant stant the increased chrome grille. Hence why i replaced mine with a painted one.

Ā 

Ā 

My opinion the 4 cyl is a mistake:

For me, that is what set the Edge apart from the CX7. My brother bought the CX-7 and i was just about to. That turbo 4 just sounded way too loud and seemed to be working way too hard. There is NOT really any fuel savings. Turbos usually require premium fuel do to the higher compression engine (now they claim the CX7 can use regular). Thats way a Murano was also out of the picture. Well if i had the money i would of gone with a MDX and lived with the premium fuel.

Ā 

If your going to burn fuel, dont puss out and throw in that Eccoboost 6 for the Edge Sport or make a SVT model!

Ā 

The Edge also felt a lot bigger inside, had rear passenger vents and the reclining rear seats clinched, the deal. My major flaw was the lack of the entry assist handles up front. "Ohh shit handles"

Ā 

I'd rather have a 6 cyl working at 60% than that turbo working at 90%.

Ā 

But it is nice to see that an american car company finally learned to update the cars. Not like my old 2003 trailblazer that basically remained the same.

Edited by 1nutsvt

For me, that is what set the Edge apart from the CX7. My brother bought the CX-7 and i was just about to. That turbo 4 just sounded way too loud and seemed to be working way too hard. There is NOT really any fuel savings. Turbos usually require premium fuel do to the higher compression engine (now they claim the CX7 can use regular).

Ā 

First, it's an optional engine, not the only one. Second - this is not the same type of turbo used in Mazdas. Third - it does get better fuel economy - they've been testing these for years now. Fourth - it doesn't require premium.

Love the projector headlight. Cant stant the increased chrome grille. Hence why i replaced mine with a painted one.

Ā 

Ā 

For me, that is what set the Edge apart from the CX7. My brother bought the CX-7 and i was just about to. That turbo 4 just sounded way too loud and seemed to be working way too hard. There is NOT really any fuel savings. Turbos usually require premium fuel do to the higher compression engine (now they claim the CX7 can use regular). Thats way a Murano was also out of the picture. Well if i had the money i would of gone with a MDX and lived with the premium fuel.

Ā 

If your going to burn fuel, dont puss out and throw in that Eccoboost 6 for the Edge Sport or make a SVT model!

Ā 

The Edge also felt a lot bigger inside, had rear passenger vents and the reclining rear seats clinched, the deal. My major flaw was the lack of the entry assist handles up front. "Ohh shit handles"

Ā 

I'd rather have a 6 cyl working at 60% than that turbo working at 90%.

Ā 

But it is nice to see that an american car company finally learned to update the cars. Not like my old 2003 trailblazer that basically remained the same.

Ā 

I tend to agree. These cars are just too big & heavy for an engine that makes less power then the current model. Most seem to feel the current 3.5 @ 265 hp is acceptable. I'm not so sure that will be the case with the I4. I've noticed that they clearly state the horsepower for the other 2 engines, but only say the I4 is comparable to a 3.0. That has to be at least 30 hp less then the current model.

I love my Edge. BUT... Ive always said that this thing could use more horsepower. I've been so stoked since hearing about the ecoboost engines and seeing their HP numbers in the SHO. I was really hoping we'd get the option of a 365HP monster motor in the Edge. For one, towing would be a dream, and two, it would be an absolute hoot to drive all the other times!

Why do I call the 3.7l last years tech? Only because it showed up under other Marques last year. No, its never been in the Edge, but my point was only that its not the newest badass engine that Ford can throw at the Edge. I really hope that something changes before the release of the Edge Sport in the Summer of 2010 and they throw in SVT Edge with 365HP ecoboost, oversized sway bars, and maybe a cold air intake? Heres to hoping. I know I cant be alone.

Why do I call the 3.7l last years tech? Only because it showed up under other Marques last year. No, its never been in the Edge, but my point was only that its not the newest badass engine that Ford can throw at the Edge.

Ā 

The 3.7L that's coming for the Edge is not the same as the current engine. It's a TiVCT not an iVCT, which means it has all it's cams adjustable, not just the exhaust. So technically the 3.7L is a newer engine than the 3.5L Ecoboost, though clearly not as "badass".

Well I still like my '08 well enough to keep it over the new one. I do like the changes though. Someone please find out about the tails ( if they are LED ) and if the mirrors have signal repeaters or not. If no in either case, guess I'll do it myself.

Ā 

Went looking here: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/spied/10q1/2011_ford_edge_and_edge_sport-auto_shows/gallery/2011_ford_edge_limited_side-view_mirror_with_puddle_lamp_photo_30

Ā 

After looking through all the pics, it looks like no LED's in the mirrors. The tails I can't tell though.

I really like the redesign, and the current model is pretty good on it's own, so I'm a potential customer for the '11.

Ā 

Can somebody PLEASE tell me why Ford still uses the numeric keypad on the driver's door for access? It seems redundant, with the 2011 offering keyless access, and it looks like a leftover from the parts bin labelled "1992". It's like an ugly wart on an otherwise attractive vehicle. I can't take my eyes off it, and it's probaby enough to prevent me from buying the car if you can't option the car without the keypad. From the official website, it appears that ALL trim levels will include the keypad... unfortunate.

Ā 

Seriously, can someone explain the rationale? Ford has some sexy sheetmetal hitting the streets; how could the designers ruin it with that farkin' keypad?! Am I irrational for allowing it to ruin an otherwise appealing car?

I really like the redesign, and the current model is pretty good on it's own, so I'm a potential customer for the '11.

Ā 

Can somebody PLEASE tell me why Ford still uses the numeric keypad on the driver's door for access? It seems redundant, with the 2011 offering keyless access, and it looks like a leftover from the parts bin labelled "1992". It's like an ugly wart on an otherwise attractive vehicle. I can't take my eyes off it, and it's probaby enough to prevent me from buying the car if you can't option the car without the keypad. From the official website, it appears that ALL trim levels will include the keypad... unfortunate.

Ā 

Seriously, can someone explain the rationale? Ford has some sexy sheetmetal hitting the streets; how could the designers ruin it with that farkin' keypad?! Am I irrational for allowing it to ruin an otherwise appealing car?

Ā 

Nope not irrational, I thought the same. Especially since they re-did the interior with all that great touch screen stuff, why not use a disappearing touch screen in the black frame of the window surround? You touch it, it lights up, you punch your code and your in. I think the idea for the keypad is Great for those times that youre by your car and your key fob is inside in your pants pocket or your purse. You can get in without having the keys. But the execution, well that leaves a lot to be desired.

Ā 

Door sheetmetal is expensive, VERY expensive. Since Ford didn't change the door sheetmetal on the 2011 redesign, they couldn't easily slap in the new black-out keypad. Same thing happened with the 2010 MKZ.

Am I irrational for allowing it to ruin an otherwise appealing car?

Ā 

Yes........... :shades:

Ā 

I think you're being a little too picky on this one. And it's not redundant since you can use it to lock the keyless fob in the vehicle so you don't have to carry it sometimes (jogging, swimming, hiking, etc.) and it still works to let others into your vehicle without the key or keyless fob.

Ā 

If you really hate it that much, you can remove it and have the holes filled and painted. I would think at worst it's a minor annoyance - certainly not enough to keep someone from buying the vehicle if they like everything else.