Problem with door ajar sensor

The dealership does realize that you are under the B2B warranty, right? Should fix it for you for free. Change dealerships if this one refuses to help, but try talking to the service manager and/or general manager first.

If that doesn't work, call Ford Customer Service (number listed in owner's manual), or PM Tricia (the FCS rep on this forum) for assistance. They can get the appropriate people together to resolve any issues.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 2012 Edge and have also experienced this problem over the past few months. This past month has been the worst and now shows the door as never being shut unless I try to slam (and I mean slam) the door no less than 5 times if I am lucky. Anyone know the part number of the latch so I can order it and get it fixed pronto?

Appreciate it. Went to my families home and took out the latch to get the part number. Found it on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HRSSSCA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. For anyone wondering, that is the latch on the front driver's side door for a 2012 Ford Edge SE with keyless entry. The OEM part number is BT4Z-7821813-A.

Anyway, wasn't too difficult of a procedure, and the part is only 50 bucks.

• Like 1

Note they only cycle the affected door latch switch, not replace it. Ask them what warranty goes with the TSB, coz if it happens after warranty expiration, you might be paying for it. Or you could replace it yourself using the HowTo info on this forum.

I wouldn't have guessed that...thanks again. I'll see what they say.

Of course it doesn't do it all the time, so there is a chance it won't do it at the dealer and they will say there isn't a problem....

Edited by factor99

I wouldn't have guessed that...thanks again. I'll see what they say.

Of course it doesn't do it all the time, so there ia a chance it won't do it at the dealer and they will say there isn't a problem....

Give it time and it will be there all the time. I haven't been able to shut the door where it registers in about 3 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Ford needs to recall this part. Like many, I have taken to leaving the door unlocked so that the alarm does not go off throughout the night. The only alternative to this is shelling out $400 - $500 to fix a part that should not fail a few km after the warranty expires. Have driven Fords my whole life. This is very disappointing.

Major Problem. I have a 2011 Ford Edge that the door ajar sensor goes off. I brought it in and was charged about $450.00 to have the module replaced. Well this worked for about a year and then the light starting popping up again after I shut the drivers side door. I brought it in thinking well I already replaced the module the dealer should take care of it. Guess what they wouldn't. The dealer did say that Ford gave them a cleaning machine for this part. They don't replace the module anymore they take it out clean it with this machine then put it back in. This time they charged me $250.00. This is BS. Ford wont even acknowledge they had an issue and then when the issue is fixed they wont stand behind the fix. This will be my last and final Ford myself/spouse and kids will ever buy. Guess what Ford you just lost a family of buyers. Fix the damn issue...

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2013 Ford Edge Limited and I started having this same problem just a couple weeks ago. It was intermittent at first, but not the system always thinks the door is ajar. When I lock it with my keyfob, it locks but the lights stay on and it honks twice, indicating that it thinks a door is open. This will cause the cars interior and exterior lights to come on randomly. This is a problem with I live in an apartment complex in a not-so-safe part of town. Tonight I found 2 guys looking in my car while the interior lights were on. I've called my local Ford dealership and was told it's about $450 to fix. This is ridiculous. Not to mention the dome lights staying on while driving at night IS a safety concern because it impedes my ability to drive safely because I can't see outside as well with lights on inside. Can you help me get this fixed?

Hi Laura Franks,

My apologies for the delayed response. Are you still experiencing this concern? Please let me know, and I'll look into available options on my end.

If that doesn't work, call Ford Customer Service (number listed in owner's manual), or PM Tricia (the FCS rep on this forum) for assistance. They can get the appropriate people together to resolve any issues.

Thank you for the shout-out, WWWPerfA_ZN0W! You've always had our backs.

My 2012 Edge has this problem too. Also out of warranty. It sounds like we are on our own to fix this. twintornado, was your car still under warranty? What is a TSB 14-0011?

Have you been to your Ford Dealer for this concern, billwasinski? I will look at some options on my end once I hear from you.

I have a 2012 Edge and have also experienced this problem over the past few months. This past month has been the worst and now shows the door as never being shut unless I try to slam (and I mean slam) the door no less than 5 times if I am lucky. Anyone know the part number of the latch so I can order it and get it fixed pronto?

Hey muddro! Enter your VIN at Ford Parts for vehicle-specific items.

Thanks, I've just started getting the error once in a while and my warranty is up in September.

Have you been to your Ford Dealer for this, factor99?

Ford needs to recall this part. Like many, I have taken to leaving the door unlocked so that the alarm does not go off throughout the night. The only alternative to this is shelling out $400 - $500 to fix a part that should not fail a few km after the warranty expires. Have driven Fords my whole life. This is very disappointing.

Hey ralik,

Due to our rigorous safety standards and constant testing, not all issues result in recall or customer satisfaction programs. Have you been to the dealer to have this checked out?

Major Problem. I have a 2011 Ford Edge that the door ajar sensor goes off. I brought it in and was charged about $450.00 to have the module replaced. Well this worked for about a year and then the light starting popping up again after I shut the drivers side door. I brought it in thinking well I already replaced the module the dealer should take care of it. Guess what they wouldn't. The dealer did say that Ford gave them a cleaning machine for this part. They don't replace the module anymore they take it out clean it with this machine then put it back in. This time they charged me $250.00. This is BS. Ford wont even acknowledge they had an issue and then when the issue is fixed they wont stand behind the fix. This will be my last and final Ford myself/spouse and kids will ever buy. Guess what Ford you just lost a family of buyers. Fix the damn issue...

Same question for you, redstripe35. :) Have you made an appointment with you Ford Dealer to have this looked into?

Todd

Thanks for asking FordService. My Edge is currently at the dealer now and while I was typing this they called to say it was fixed.

Last weekend the door ajar waring finally started staying on all the time, so it would be easy for the dealer to identify he the issue. I also took the TSB in to make sure they didn't miss it (they did with the phantom wiper issue even though I told them about it).

Timing has worked out well, my 3-year warranty is up on Saturday. Time will tell if the door issue re-appears, which I am expecting in a few years.

Edited by factor99

Maybe you can get the dealership to do the cleanout tool service on ALL the remaining doors just to make sure they don't act up :)

Since I am in Canada they don't have the tool, they just changed it. There are detailed instruction on this site for cleaning the contacts; since I will be paying for repairs now I will try that if it happens again.

Edited by factor99

I think this is more of a design flaw that Ford hasn't learned from than anything. My 1999 F350 has the same known issue and the fix for it was the same which was to spray the latch and work the mechanism. People were saying the same thing about they should do a recall and such for it back then.

As far as this cleaning tool, it sounds like they are using a mild electrical current to burn off any junk on the contacts thus cleaning them. I am not surprised that this only lasts a short period of time before the issue returns. I don't have the problem on my edge but if and when it does happen, I know what to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also getting the Driver's door ajar message. In addition, the chime will ring when I'm driving and tell me to shift into Park??? Dome lights stayed on, the little red icon on the dash stayed on. Plus, I had filled the car two days before and all of a sudden, the low fuel light came on. The level showed low. I shut it off and restarted it and it said 0 miles to empty. If I take it to the dealer, I guarantee it won't do this for them to see. My 3 years are up this month. Also have had the phantom wiper issue from time to time.

I think my computer is manic depressive.

Edited by Frisco1522

• 2 weeks later...

Ford Service and the guy saying "its electrical switch and won't be a recall".......Do the air bags work on the drivers side if the door is ajar? Secifically do the side curtains arm if the system thinks the door is open? Sometimes the "little" switch is more integral than you might think to your safety and the safety of your passengers. Who was the car company who recently had the ignition switch issue? Didn't that failure cause the airbags to disarm? I'm dropping my Edge off at Kayser Ford in Madison WI in about 45 minutes, this is the second time this year for this problem. They will have it over night, I will be picking up tomorrow. Last name is Gorman if you want to talk to the service writer(Larry). I'll be asking this specific question to him when I drop it off.

Ford Service and the guy saying "its electrical switch and won't be a recall".......Do the air bags work on the drivers side if the door is ajar? Secifically do the side curtains arm if the system thinks the door is open? Sometimes the "little" switch is more integral than you might think to your safety and the safety of your passengers. Who was the car company who recently had the ignition switch issue? Didn't that failure cause the airbags to disarm? I'm dropping my Edge off at Kayser Ford in Madison WI in about 45 minutes, this is the second time this year for this problem. They will have it over night, I will be picking up tomorrow. Last name is Gorman if you want to talk to the service writer(Larry). I'll be asking this specific question to him when I drop it off.

Good question. If it disables the air bags, that could be a game-changer for whether or not to issue a recall. Keep us posted!

• Like 1

So I dropped the car, service writer wasn't around. I got a call yesterday that car was ready. They also let me know that the car 3 year bumper to bumper had expired(I bought the car used December of 2013). "We talked with Ford and they are covering the repair since the warranty had just recently expired." Thanks FORD! When I picked it up a different guy checked me out(I had oil / filter etc done also) and I was only charged for the oil change. When I asked about the issue. "Ford sends us a tool that allows us to clean the contacts on the door latch, most of the time that fixes things, sometimes we need to completely replace the latch assembly. We see a lot of these so the first thing we do is try to clean the contacts." I asked about how this switch might interact with arming / disarming the airbag system and didn't get a convincing answer either way. I didn't expect the dealership to have an answer, I would expect the person monitoring this board to have the answer. The problem is the lawyers probably. Thanks again Ford for doing this on your dime!

• Like 1

Same problem here, cost me 600.00 to get the door ajar light turned off of my 2011 Edge. Warranty had expired, this was at 50k miles. Hoping it doesn't happen again, but have lost a lot of trust/respect in Ford and their products. The entire electrical/sync system seems like a POS to me, wish I felt safer in my vehicle with two little children... And now the AWD is malfunctioning. How surprising........

Well taken care of, btw, up to date on service, not driven in harsh conditions, etc...... ??

Shame on Ford for swindling their customers.