Brake-Pad Failure

arcsalisu

I have a 2009 Ford Edge AWD LTD, which I bought in August last year. I have not had any problem with the car until recently, after just 23000Km (not miles), when the wheels started making some alarming noise and my steering will be shaking whenever I stepped on the brakes at high speed. Of course I guessed the brakespads or disc had gone bust. On reaching my Ford dealers, I was confirmed correct (the brake-pads had worn-off or planed on one side as if a piece of stone or metal had gone in-between them) and I had to pay the equivalent of $200 (incl. taxes) for the replacements of the front brake-pads. Has anybody experienced this? I live in Nigeria which is in the Tropics, but I also own a 2008 Hyundai Elantra with 48000Km on the Odometer without ever changing the brake-pads or anything so far. What is wrong with Ford technology? They cant even use longlasting brake-pads on a heavy car like the Edge?

What is wrong with Ford technology? They cant even use longlasting brake-pads on a heavy car like the Edge?

I was recently reading Edmunds.com and other sites about the changes that were made for the 2011 Edge, and if I remember correctly they designed larger brake rotors on this model since the past few years' models (such as yours) experienced a lot of complaints about brakes wearing out too quickly. So I guess when engineers design these things they may calculate that brakes of size X would be sufficient to stop that much weight and last an estimated amount of miles, but maybe real life experiences prove otherwise and they have to make changes in subsequent years. So it's something that we are definitely keeping watch over on our 2010 Edge.

What is wrong with Ford technology? They cant even use longlasting brake-pads on a heavy car like the Edge?

There's nothing wrong with Ford technology, it's just physics. A heavier car will wear brakes faster. But to stop a heavier car, you need more aggressive pads, which don't last as long. It's an exponential spiral, the more weight you have, the faster brakes are going to wear out, there's not much anyone can do about it.

But it sounds like you had a specific problem with one corner. If one brake pad is worn more than any other, your problem is either debris or a sticking caliper. If all of the pads are worn evenly, then you just need to learn to use the brakes less.

There's nothing wrong with Ford technology, it's just physics. A heavier car will wear brakes faster. But to stop a heavier car, you need more aggressive pads, which don't last as long. It's an exponential spiral, the more weight you have, the faster brakes are going to wear out, there's not much anyone can do about it.

But it sounds like you had a specific problem with one corner. If one brake pad is worn more than any other, your problem is either debris or a sticking caliper. If all of the pads are worn evenly, then you just need to learn to use the brakes less.

Thanks for the reply. It is very possible it was debris or a sticking caliper since it was only one front wheel that had the problem.But I find the defense of Ford Motor Company a bit patronizing. Ford have been designing and building heavy trucks since God knows when. They should have learnt about making good brakes long time ago.Talking about physics, there is what is called 'material science' which deals with the properties of materials. I still stand by the assertion of what is wrong with Ford Technology? Have you taken a look at the batteries of the Ford Edge 2009? The batteries are not sealed like the ones found in Korean cars. Mine has leaked all over the top. But come to think of it, the Ford Edge 2009 AWD is still ONE GREAT CAR!!!

Talking about physics, there is what is called 'material science' which deals with the properties of materials. I still stand by the assertion of what is wrong with Ford Technology?

Material science is exactly what it's all about. Back when Ford and all the others were allowed to use asbestos in the brakes, you could design a much better braking system. Now that asbestos is banned (don't know about Nigeria, maybe some of the other brands still use it) brakes have to be designed with much more compromises.

I find it amazing that the OP has one issue with the brakes and automatically thinks that there is a design flaw. I personally own a 2010 Edge and have 2 customers with older Edges that have been bringing their vehicles to me ever since they were new for maintenance. Both vehicles have over 30,000 miles and the brakes only appear to be about half worn. I traded in my 2008 Ford Sport Trac with 28,000 miles for my Edge and the brakes on the Sport Trac looked as if they were brand new. Take it from someone who has been professionally repairing vehicles for over 20 years that Ford does not currently have a brake issue.

As fas as batteries go they all will leak sooner or later. Th eonly batteries I have seen that don't leak are gel.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just checked mine on my 2009 FWD SEL. I have ⅜ inch of original factory pad left at 112,356 on the odometer. Rotors are smooth with no ridges.

I have never had any brake dust on the wheels. I check the pads and rotors at every tire rotation (DIY), usually 3000 to 4000 miles.

Possibly brake issues may be attributed to driving style. :love_shower:

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...