Door Handle

stevebrown1950

2011 Ford Edge inside driver's door handle is awkward at best. I open it by pushing on the door. The door is not secure in my hand. Can't wait for the first big wind from behind that will pull the door open into the car next to me. Yuck!

For the uninitiated, this handle doesn't have a hole in the natural spot. The hole for you hand is way forward and the angle is steep resulting in little control even if you had your hand in the hole. You don't really notice when you get in the car because the wide open door reduces the acuteness of the angle. There is some control at that point. Problem is when you just want to open it a little bit. Terrible design.

• 2 weeks later...

2011 Ford Edge inside driver's door handle is awkward at best. I open it by pushing on the door. The door is not secure in my hand. Can't wait for the first big wind from behind that will pull the door open into the car next to me. Yuck!

For the uninitiated, this handle doesn't have a hole in the natural spot. The hole for you hand is way forward and the angle is steep resulting in little control even if you had your hand in the hole. You don't really notice when you get in the car because the wide open door reduces the acuteness of the angle. There is some control at that point. Problem is when you just want to open it a little bit. Terrible design.

Do you always complain so much? I have yet to find anything I don't like about my 11 Edge Limited. Well maybe the flasher thing is a bit odd, but otherwise, loving it!

Rename this forum to stevebrown1950 bitches about insignificant things. If you have so many problems with the car, what made you buy it? Unless a tornado swept through unexpectedly, only the weakest of people would have trouble keeping the door under control in a gust of wind. If the handle were placed further back, you'd be bitching about how awkward it is to grab and that your elbow hurts.

I totally agree with the OP, so much so, that I posted that observation in another thread. It is really far forward, and the leverage is too close to the pivot hinge.

I've found that if the wind is blowing from a particular direction it can be very difficult to close the door without leaning forward and putting a lot of effort into it. I do not understand in the least how such a fundamental design decision (to not place a hand hold in the armrest) could have been made.

But in case you're wondering, I still love my MKX....

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree with the OP, so much so, that I posted that observation in another thread. It is really far forward, and the leverage is too close to the pivot hinge.

I also agree that the placement in not optimal and should have been move back. I noticed the problem the first time I closed the door and my wife also commented about it.

Edited by curlysir

Sure does seem like a lot of people on this Forum have a problem with someone stating their opinion .

Don't let it get to you. you are entitled to express your opinion that is why it's called a "forum".

Just as the 2007 model year Edge had issues with things such as a poorly placed hatch release handle (corrected in the 2008 model) and a glossy dash that reflected back at you. I'm sure these little imperfections will be addressed at a later model year. Frustrating that these obvious glitches weren't seen beforehand but it shouldn't take away the enjoyment of the vehicle

Don't let it get to you. you are entitled to express your opinion that is why it's called a "forum".

Just as the 2007 model year Edge had issues with things such as a poorly placed hatch release handle (corrected in the 2008 model) and a glossy dash that reflected back at you. I'm sure these little imperfections will be addressed at a later model year. Frustrating that these obvious glitches weren't seen beforehand but it shouldn't take away the enjoyment of the vehicle

I'm not. I visit a lot of forums and I'm use to this, but there does seem to be several here that jump on anyone that seems to have the least little problem. No vehicle is perfect and the sharing of knowledge about the known problems will help the new buyer.

Now back to my impressions of the Edge. Great vehicle and really do like it. The things that I would have done different would have been the emergency flasher, the placement of the door handle, and more assist handles for getting in and out.

My Edge is a 2011 Ingot Silver/Black Leather Limited with the 302A package, Trailer Tow Package, and 20" wheels.

Just as the 2007 model year Edge had issues with things such as a poorly placed hatch release handle (corrected in the 2008 model)

Personally, and this is just my opinion so fire away, but I prefer the location of the '07 hatch release. I don't like the 'corrected' version of the '08 to present. Maybe it's because I'm 6'4" but I've had no issues with opening the rear hatch. Even if it was a little difficult, I'd still rather have that version than the current 'hole' in the gate.

Personally, and this is just my opinion so fire away, but I prefer the location of the '07 hatch release. I don't like the 'corrected' version of the '08 to present. Maybe it's because I'm 6'4" but I've had no issues with opening the rear hatch. Even if it was a little difficult, I'd still rather have that version than the current 'hole' in the gate.

Me too!

I had an '07 and always thought the hidden tailgate release was actually a step up in design from the current "hole". I never had any problems with it.

I agree with the reflection of the dash on the windshield. Unless they change the slope of the windshield-glass the reflection will always be there. Changing the location of the door handle probably won't be changed until the next design change in 4 to 5 years. I could be wrong, making a change from year to year is expensive. Just my opinion, flame away...

• 5 weeks later...

I also agree, the handle position is awkward. When closing the big door the handle being so close to the hinges it is very difficult to pull all the weight to close it. Hope they change the design to the pre 2011.