Ask A Professional Detailer?

I'm in New Jersey, can't help you with anyone in your area, but I want to tell you NOT to waste money on dealer protection packages. Back in Dec '05, when I got my '06 Explorer, the dealer convinced me to go with the paint/interior protection package for $495, what a waste of money. It didn't seem to give any great paint protection, wound up waxing it myself, which I did from that day on, doing it every 3 months or so. Many in the forum clain collinite waxes are very good, might want to look into it, or go to website WWW.LIVE2DETAIL.COM, get some tips there.

LOL

Joe

Edited by JOEHIO

I'm in New Jersey, can't help you with anyone in your area, but I want to tell you NOT to waste money on dealer protection packages. Back in Dec '05, when I got my '06 Explorer, the dealer convinced me to go with the paint/interior protection package for $495, what a waste of money. It didn't seem to give any great paint protection, wound up waxing it myself, which I did from that day on, doing it every 3 months or so. Many in the forum clain collinite waxes are very good, might want to look into it, or go to website WWW.LIVE2DETAIL.COM, get some tips there.

LOL

Joe

Thanks Joe, I appreciate your answer.

• 3 weeks later...

I detailed my wife's 2010 ford edge last week and she complained the black interior dash reflects in the windshield. I used armor all on the plastic and it caused it to shine. Any suggestions for a more matte finish. Thx.

Don't use Armor all. Just wipe it with a damp cloth and if necessary a mild cleaner.

My new black edge should be here in a couple of weeks. The dealer has the usual Tricore paint and fabric protection bundled with the powertrain, tire amd theft recovery packages. I widdled the sales manager down in price to where the paint protection they offer doesn't really cost me anything so I have a few questions.

Should I let them do the paint sealant and see how it turns out? General concensus on the forum is that it's inferior. If it bites, I'm not out any money and can have a pro detailer re-do it. If it needs to be redone, is it harder to do now because it's sealed?

Second, does eshine carry any starter detailing packages? I cant seem to find any on their site like on the Detailed Image site. I'm in Canada.

Lastly, I have my black 97 CRV that I'm trading in that needs some paint TLC. I would like to practice on it before attempting anything on my new edge or my wifes black BMW. If I am ordering items from eshine, what should I get and what should be done?

Hello. I had an invisible bra installed on my dark blue Edge. Of course after I clay bared and waxed it, I now have a very visible white line down the center of my hood. Any ideas on how to 1) get rid of this and 2) stop it from happening in the future? I'd like to get a coat of sealant applied sometime and don't want to have this line again. Thanks!

My new black edge should be here in a couple of weeks. The dealer has the usual Tricore paint and fabric protection bundled with the powertrain, tire amd theft recovery packages. I widdled the sales manager down in price to where the paint protection they offer doesn't really cost me anything so I have a few questions.

Should I let them do the paint sealant and see how it turns out? General concensus on the forum is that it's inferior. If it bites, I'm not out any money and can have a pro detailer re-do it. If it needs to be redone, is it harder to do now because it's sealed?

Second, does eshine carry any starter detailing packages? I cant seem to find any on their site like on the Detailed Image site. I'm in Canada.

Lastly, I have my black 97 CRV that I'm trading in that needs some paint TLC. I would like to practice on it before attempting anything on my new edge or my wifes black BMW. If I am ordering items from eshine, what should I get and what should be done?

Chris Pace is the owner at Eshine and is a very nice fellow. Call him and explain your situation/experience level and he will suggest what will be most helpful to you for both vehicles.

Hello. I had an invisible bra installed on my dark blue Edge. Of course after I clay bared and waxed it, I now have a very visible white line down the center of my hood. Any ideas on how to 1) get rid of this and 2) stop it from happening in the future? I'd like to get a coat of sealant applied sometime and don't want to have this line again. Thanks!

A line down the middle?? Sounds like they did a seam there and when you waxed it, the wax dried without being removed in the seam and that's what your seeing. Seems like it to me (pun intended, LOL). If that is the case, you need to wash the area with Dawn diswashing soap to remove that wax residue and then dry it well. I would use a high quality sealant like Duragloss 105 which you can get at carquest or places online as well. Sealants do not show like waxes do, plus they offer longer protection than waxes do as well. You can always steer a little clear of the area with whatever protection you're using just to be safe. If it's not a seam, then I have no idea why you'd get a line down the centre, but it seems logical that would be the reason.

A line down the middle?? Sounds like they did a seam there and when you waxed it, the wax dried without being removed in the seam and that's what your seeing. Seems like it to me (pun intended, LOL). If that is the case, you need to wash the area with Dawn diswashing soap to remove that wax residue and then dry it well. I would use a high quality sealant like Duragloss 105 which you can get at carquest or places online as well. Sealants do not show like waxes do, plus they offer longer protection than waxes do as well. You can always steer a little clear of the area with whatever protection you're using just to be safe. If it's not a seam, then I have no idea why you'd get a line down the centre, but it seems logical that would be the reason.

I thought he meant a horizontal seam on the top edge of the bra (left to right).

You are correct akirby. It is the edge of the bra and the wax catches on there. I just wondered if there was a trick to keeping this from happening. I will try the Dawn trick and see if I can make it less noticable. The car has been washed many times since I waxed it and it is still noticable.

Forgive me if this has already been covered, but my recently purchased Edge Sport in White has picked up a few minor stone chips on the hood and the bumper. This of course is standing out like a big zit on the end of my nose. I've picked up some touch-up paint from the dealer but the body guy at the dealer suggested I might contact a guy they use to touch up all the used cars on the lot. He also mentioned there are a few kits out there that can be bought off the web, but he didn't have any personal experience with any of them and was hesitant to recommend them. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to handle this? Are any of these kits off the web any good? I'm not really in a position right now to have my hood and bumper re-sprayed.

• 3 weeks later...

So got my new edge back from the dealerships detail and there was nothing detailed about it just lots of water spots and swirls on the nice black paint job also they used greasiet tire spray and then left brown finger prints all over the light stone interior so not very happy and now I have a lot of work to do. Need to find a good swirl removal product any thoughts? Also anyone worked with there tuxedo black paint know if it's hard or soft? Thank you

Also anyone worked with there tuxedo black paint know if it's hard or soft? Thank you

Doesn't matter - you're working on the clearcoat layer which is the same on all vehicles and colors. If you get too aggressive you can burn through it but light polishing should be ok - just watch the corners and creases.

So got my new edge back from the dealerships detail and there was nothing detailed about it just lots of water spots and swirls on the nice black paint job also they used greasiet tire spray and then left brown finger prints all over the light stone interior so not very happy and now I have a lot of work to do. Need to find a good swirl removal product any thoughts? Also anyone worked with there tuxedo black paint know if it's hard or soft? Thank you

I consider it to be soft the way mine has chipped. Mine didn't need polishing when I got it (new) so I've never really put a heavier compound to it to see how it reacts. I've filled in a scratch I've got and will be wet sanding it and compounding it out over my vacation time in a few weeks so I'll find out then. Have you registered on a detailing forum yet? You'll learn a ton there. I am an administrator on Live2Detail.com and I'm also on Autogeekonline too, although they try to sell you everything under the sun. L2D is not sponsored by any product or online store (it's privately owned) so you get honest feedback there. Join up and you'll get lots of great info.

To the poster about touch up paint: DrChip is great, but truthfully, you can buy touch up in a bottle from your local paint supply house (look for the place the body shops buy their paint from) at a better price and get a lot more quantity. That's what I do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you are looking to claybar/polish/seal your new Edge, you'll need the following products.

PC7424 (or something similiar)

pads

claybar

claybar lubricant. (Poorboys Spray & Wipe is what I use)

polishes

sealant

MF Towels

You are probably looking at least $300 to get initially setup with those products. It's a fair bit of money, however consider it an investment and they will also last you a long time. I can put together a proper package for you if you want.

Super helpful and great content Canuck. I, actually am a Canuck, and would love some help with my stunning new blue 2013 Edge Sport. I want to avoid rock chips and paint swirls like the ones on my 2010 fusion.

I want to take care of my 22s and the paint better than ever before. Can I go somewhere to read the best guide to achieve the best results?

I will pay 300 for sure to get all the kit I need. Clay bar scares me.

Yes, proper lighting (fluorescent and halogen) will reveal MANY things that are not visible in normal light. That is why every professional detailer uses them. If you do not have fluorescent lighting or a halogen lamp, direct sunlight is the next best thing. It's hard to say how the scratches in the chrome trim were caused though. It could be your washing habits, caused by the dealership when they prepped your car, etc.

If you want to key a close eye on your true paint condition, pick up a halogen lamp like this. They are typically less than $50.

SEAML1000D-110V.jpg

As an example, here is a customer's 1 week old BMW under a halogen lamp. They thought their paint was in great shape until I showed them what their paint looked like under a halogen lamp. And this was only 1 week old. :wacko:

DSC_0603.jpg

And after my work was complete under the halogen lamp.

DSC_0625.jpg

Dude, that's incredible. Can I hire you here in Calgary?!

Wow. Two days later, I've read thru all of the posts and I have a few things to say:

1. You lot are super helpful, intelligent and interesting

2. Thank you for spending the time to share your knowledge

3. Thanks for helping us noobs out and sharing your interest of protecting your cars

Here are a few of my questions after reading 19 pages...

1. I am looking to purchase a 3m protect and product to be placed on the grill, wing mirrors, hood, etc. What kind of prep work should idem and before this is done? Wash, clay bar and then 3m?

2. I'm in Calgary, Alberta and think I will get my car detailed quickly after it arrives here in a couple weeks (super painful wait) so I know it's sealed and protected - anyone know anyone recommended here? Anything else I should ask for them to do? After this detail, I'm hoping to try to keep up myself, otherwise I will take it in for a detail once a year...

3. I've printed 30 pages of product, compiled a four page document but still wonder if someone has a list to help me streamline my focus. I care a lot to maintain this cars paint, but do NOT have the time to complete all that I now know to do to get the most of my exterior. Is there some clear bare minimums to start with?

You all have been super helpful and I thank you, my 2013 Ford Edge Sport will thank you.

Anyone passing thru Calgary, let me know. Beers on me for your help.

James a.k.a lazy newbie with passion