Bumper colour mismatch with Body

REDSPORT

Has anyone else had an issue with the mismatch in the paint between the body and the bumpers? i have a metallic red 2010 Edge Sport. the bumpers are a slightly different colour. I approached the dealer who said it was normal and I sent an email to Ford Canada. they said they have no complaints or Tech bulletins on this issue. I have been looking around at other Edge's and this is definitely an issue with these vehicles. I have not had a mismatch in any other vehicle so I think it is a quality problem but no one is complaining. I have had several comments from people saying that my vehicle looks sharp but what is wrong with the paint?

I like the vehicle but this mismatch is annoying.

My next step is to take it back to the dealer to register a warranty claim.

This is a known problem for all manufactures, high-end and low-end type vehicles. Problem is, Plastic v-Metal components. Bumpers are made of plastic and fender / quarters are metal. Body Shop's can correct this however it would require refinishing adjacent panels. This really is not a good idea in my opinion.

Next time your out at a mall or large Big box store, look around at other vehicles (that have not been wrecked) and you will see what i am talking about. If you see vehicles with perfect color match. Most likely you will find either a rare occurrence were the Mfg got it right, or a vehicle thad had prior paint work done and the refinish tech let his pride get in the way, meaning he took time to color match "via" blend operation.

Hope this helps.

Gary F

I have 2010 MKX in the metalic red and the bumpers look like a totally different paint, the metal flake even looks different than that on the body. The bumper paint is not the same color and does not look as good as the vehicle. I thought I might have bought a repaired vehicle and checked for signs of repair on both ends, no indications of such. I think they must paint the bumpers on a different paint line.

Thanks for the responses. I actually contacted Ford Canada and they said they have not had a single complaint or had to issue a Tech bulletin on this so there would not likely be a warranty claim to correct the problem. I probably have been spoiled since every vehicle i have owned before including 3 mustangs, a Focus wagon and a Lincoln LS did not have this degree of mismatch on the bumpers. One of the mustangs was red metallic also. perhaps it is in the latest manufacturing process that has now been farmed out from the main factory. A friend who owns a body shop said that the outside facility could be using a different primer base coat that can cause a difference in colour.

I have the Vapor Silver, in certain light the bumpers look different than the paint. When I first went to look at it I accused the dealer of trying to sell me a wrecked car. It is not bad, there are quite a few Edge's the same color around here and I look closely at them and they have the same look to them.

I have 2010 MKX in the metalic red and the bumpers look like a totally different paint, the metal flake even looks different than that on the body. The bumper paint is not the same color and does not look as good as the vehicle. I thought I might have bought a repaired vehicle and checked for signs of repair on both ends, no indications of such. I think they must paint the bumpers on a different paint line.

They're actually painted in a totally different location and delivered to the plant ready to install.

This has been a manufacture problem for the last 5 years. Before that I never have seen this. Even when Pontiac's were half plastic. It only has to do with the front and rear fascia's. If you notice every other part matches, door handles, rocker panels, hood scoops, etc.

I've kept a close on eye this cause it bugs the S**t out me. Now for 2011 Edge sport's all color matches are great except for the Platinum White, mild but still not perfect. Also, my 2010 Taurus SHO matches (sliver) and the other colors I looked at too. Ford is getting much better at this and GM is the wosrt that I have seen.

One color that always matches is Black.

High metallics are sensitive to temperature, humidity and spray technique. As my friend Mr Kirby states, the bumper skins are painted at the supplier site and are attached to a vehicle that was painted at a different time and place. Sometimes they are spot on and sometimes just a flake or two off. They also age differently on many vehicles.

Since they are different substrates, the bumper skins can't easily be primed and painted along with the body.

• 1 month later...

I actually work for a company that is a tier 1 supplier to ford. Sorry to say, we do not manufacture the Ford Edge fascias. We manufacture, paint and assemble bumper fascias. I know exactly what everyone is talking about as far as the bumper paint appearing to be mismatched from the body paint. The problem is not so much about color match as the different painted surfaces. The bumper fascia is of course plastic and the vehicle body is steel. Our fascias are painted and assembled in house and then shipped to our customer/assembly plant. Believe me, we go through extensive testing on a daily/hourly basis to make sure our colors are correct and are going to match the vehicles which they are being shipped to. Even if both the body and fascia are painted in the same plant for example, Diamond Star Mitsubishi in Normal, IL . If you look at their cars you will see a difference in tint with the fascia and body. I use to own a Mitsubishi Eclipse, built at diamond star, and the color match was horrible on that car after a few years. The only way you can make them Identical would be to have steel painted bumpers. The older the vehicle gets the more discernible the colors will be. Paint reacts differently to different painted surfaces. Even after a summer under the sun you may see it. Red paint is the probably the worst and most noticeable. I hope I have shed a little light on what I believe the topic on this thread is about. Bumper fascias aren't the only problem either, look at painted door pillars and even spoilers. I would be willing to bet that even if you took your vehicle to Maaco and have them give it a fresh coat of paint, you would notice the same issue pop up after a few months.