My Sync is dead....

51 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had problems with Sync in your 2011 vehicle?

• Yes. If so please post below.
    • No.

"There is no way Ford is ignoring this type of problem" ... This should have never been a problem, after 20 days of use ... lack of proper QA/QC procedures is ignorance.

Yes, they screwed up whether it was a last minute hardware or software change or lack of testing or (more likely) they chose to ship it with know bugs planning to fix it within a few weeks.

But a class action lawsuit won't get it fixed any faster.

Yes, they screwed up whether it was a last minute hardware or software change or lack of testing or (more likely) they chose to ship it with know bugs planning to fix it within a few weeks.

But a class action lawsuit won't get it fixed any faster.

There are always problems with first year models. After hearing all the sync issues, I will hang on to my 09 for while till all the bugs are taken care of. :heartbreaker:

Man, all these problems are taking the Edge off my excitement (intentional pun) for my incoming MKX. It was built on Nov 5 and is awaiting shipment. I pray they have resolved whatever issues it is they're having with their software.

Richy - remember that while people are reporting issues - it really has been about 10 - 15 people on this forum with problems. There are plenty of us (knocking on wood) that haven't had these issues. There was also a new update posted last night that the dealer has to install. Hopefully that will fix known issues.

:reading:

Problems like this are what is keeping me from going for a new MKX. My '06 Explorer Limited runs GREAT, only 48K, might keep in through the winter, and hopefully, problems will be ironed out by then.

True, only a small number in this forum are reporting problems, but how many buyers of '11 Edge's and

MKX's are on this forum? Am going to a '11 Explorer preview next week at Maplecrest FLM, will ask the rep if a fix is near for these problems.

Joe :shades:

Edited by JOEHIO
  • Like 1

Just thought I would throw in my comments and notes on MFT problems/solutions.

But first: Overall..net net...I do really love my 2011 Edge LTD. There are many things I love about this car, and I won't go into it here other than I drove a lot of crossovers (including Lexus 450h, Toyotas and Honda Xtour), liked a lot of things about them but I picked the new Edge in the end. I have anti-buyers remorse and am so glad I chose the LTD over the other cars, enjoy my drive to work each day as I have never before. :hyper:

The MFT was one of the things that put me over the top with this car, as it was the most progressive and modern driver interface I saw on a crossover. It appealed to the techy in me. Then being an early adopter of a new Microsoft OS based product bit me...

And now to the rant and details:

The MFT, when working, has been great (nice design). But there have been many times it has NOT worked. :banghead:

Here is a summary of what has not worked:

- 2-3 lockups in the first month (almost weekly..as if the system just gets tired), usually using the nav, and auto-soft reboots (thank goodness).

- Poor pairing with iPhone 4 (I think this is the phone though)

But last weekend a major glitch occurred where all BT connectivity would not work and you could not pair any phone. After this, many more problems started occurring such as no shut down/start up (no ford logo thing). So no phone meant no hands free, no sync, etc. Even the Sirius screen would show "no signal" in the middle of the LCD when there was lovely music playing from Sirius.

Then syncmyride this week said there was an update (yay), so I decided to go into the dealer (they said don't come in until some patches are released). Syncmyride was wrong and my car is up to date, so yippee joy the Ford site told me to take a wasted trip to the dealer to get an update my car already had. But I was able to show them all the MFT problems first hand (they have almost zero experience with the system so this was helpful for them) so that was something.

The service folks were apologetic and said service all over the nation is getting hit with complaints and the dealers are "stuck not being able to really help" as Ford Engineering has not released a patch and the dealers have little to no experience with the system. :wacko:

My (awesome) sales person at the dealership commented I know more about the MFT than about anyone at the dealership as one of the first MFT customers they had.

Then (this is the best part) I proceeded to tell the tech to please pull fuse 29 for me (I had yet do to his..planned to this weekend) to reboot the MFT. And "ta da" the MFT LCD reboots and all is working well again (no lost station presets or nav locations). The service tech was quite happy to know at least they can pull fuse 29 and reboot the system for a customer now to perhaps temporarily solve a problem for other customers!

29 was a good age...and now a good fuse to know to pull/replace to reboot your MFT/LMT. :yup:

So for a week or so, I should have a stable MFT.....until the next glitching... :cry:

Ford....please help us...we want to fully love our new Edges...helps us find the love with a glorious new patch to fix our MFT/MLT woes. :sos:

Edited by xphile
  • Like 2

I am also having problems with my sync screen. I have found that my issues seems to be worse in colder temperatures. The first time I took my Edge in to the dealership they tried to "reflash" the software. Didn't work. The car is in the shop again (dealership has been great to deal with) and I am in a rental. I told them I dont want the car back until it works as promised. I am in contact with ford, they are to get back to me by end of day today with answers / info / resolution. One option I am investigating is replacing the vehicle with a new one that works.

If Ford tells us to be paitent with our cars fix, then maybe they should be patient with our monthly payment. "I cant tell when I will make a payment.......but it should be soon.....please be patient" We all know that wouldn't fly.

Power in numbers!!

I just want what I paid for.

• Like 1

I am also having problems with my sync screen. I have found that my issues seems to be worse in colder temperatures. The first time I took my Edge in to the dealership they tried to "reflash" the software. Didn't work. The car is in the shop again (dealership has been great to deal with) and I am in a rental. I told them I dont want the car back until it works as promised. I am in contact with ford, they are to get back to me by end of day today with answers / info / resolution. One option I am investigating is replacing the vehicle with a new one that works.

If Ford tells us to be paitent with our cars fix, then maybe they should be patient with our monthly payment. "I cant tell when I will make a payment.......but it should be soon.....please be patient" We all know that wouldn't fly.

Power in numbers!!

I just want what I paid for.

Keep us posted.

(holding back payment doesn't work for those who paid cash)

Sync pairs but has never been able to connect with any of two phones, including the iPhone 4. In fact, if I have a phone added, Sync reboots shortly after I start the engine... every single time. The unit is only stable when I delete my phones. The dealer repeats the same mantra... there is an issue with Sync and Ford is working on it.

As we wait for Ford to come up with improved software, it is a great relief to know that at least one Ford dealership knows about pulling Fuse #29.

Something that was discussed here within the first week of the first ownership experience. This might be slow going indeed.

There are always problems with first year models. After hearing all the sync issues, I will hang on to my 09 for while till all the bugs are taken care of. :heartbreaker:

You do realize there are a great many problems with the first generation Sync that Ford has never been able or willing to fix? If not, spend a few hours reading the Owner-to-Owner forums. One thing that gives me hope that Ford will exert more effort to fix the current generation Sync is that if it is tied to various safety systems, then an actual recall is likely.

You do realize there are a great many problems with the first generation Sync that Ford has never been able or willing to fix? If not, spend a few hours reading the Owner-to-Owner forums. One thing that gives me hope that Ford will exert more effort to fix the current generation Sync is that if it is tied to various safety systems, then an actual recall is likely.

I agree Z. This is a bit more than just the in-dash radio acting up.

I just wanted to chime in. I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge Sport. The Sync has been nothing but a problem so far. The system will not stay booted for more then 10 minutes with out a soft restart. then some message about performing maintenance. The bluetooth is not syncing now., and when it did, the BT audio does not work. when I start it, it just disconnects the phone. It is quite frustrating. I also have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with Gen1 Sync, and that one works 100% or the time perfect. I do hope that ford can get this to work for me (I have not had time to contact the dealer yet. I just got the car yesterday. ) I will call tomorrow and see what happens. I will also try to pull fuse 29 tomorrow to see if that helps.

I just wanted to chime in. I just bought a 2011 Ford Edge Sport. The Sync has been nothing but a problem so far. The system will not stay booted for more then 10 minutes with out a soft restart. then some message about performing maintenance. The bluetooth is not syncing now., and when it did, the BT audio does not work. when I start it, it just disconnects the phone. It is quite frustrating. I also have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with Gen1 Sync, and that one works 100% or the time perfect. I do hope that ford can get this to work for me (I have not had time to contact the dealer yet. I just got the car yesterday. ) I will call tomorrow and see what happens. I will also try to pull fuse 29 tomorrow to see if that helps.

Got my Edge 3 weeks ago. Synched perfectly with my Blackberry phone. After a week, they depaired, tried everything from deleting profiles to rebooting both. Finally SYNC would pair with nothing at all. Then the backup camera got stock (so it was on even when I was in DRIVE). Then, as I pulled into the dealer lot, the screen went dark, and that's it. One Sirius station, one FM station, no navigation. Was told that Ford and Microsoft are working diligently on an update and that I would be called by Ford and/or "the SYNC guy" who stops by every day.

That was a week ago. Still nothing from Ford or the dealer. Other than all the features for which I bought the car, it's great.

Should have known better when I heard Microsoft was involved.

My dealer just acknowledged that ford / MS is having problems, and that he would try to get it running for me tomorrow morning. I'll see what happens. I'm not going to deal with a car that I can't even listen to the radio in.. Luckily, I can stream Pandora through my cell phone for now(using the cell phone speaker), but that is not going to keep me happy for more than a day or 2.

Duplicate of a post I made in the FordSync forum site, but thought appropriate to add to this thread:

I've had my 2011 Edge for 9 days, In those 9 days I've had to pull the fuse for the Sync system twice. This is really unaccetable, even if the fuse were actually easy to get at, which it's not. (I'm a big guy, with big hands, and it's a tight squeeze down into that footwell and to get to that bottom fuse row.)

Anyways, third day of owning the car, Sync got all screwed up on BT connections (three phones were paired), it would not connect to the primary phone, even when all others were removed. Actually they weren't removed, because even though I'd delete them from the system and they'd disappear from the screen, once I'd go back into the phone settings screen they were back. Even Master Reset wouldn't clear the system, so had to pull the fuse.

Much worse problem last night. Get in the car, turn it on, and the Sync screen is dead. Looks like no power to it, but there is to the panel below it. Backup camera won't even turn on, total lock out. Turn off the system, turn back on, no joy. Had to pull the fuse.

How often have you who own the thing had to pull the fuse? Am I the proud owner of a lemon, or is the whole fleet just buggy as hell?

To make matters worse for me last night, I dropped the stupid fuse behind the plastic panel the fuse box is in. Couldn't for the life of me find it by either site or feel, so at 10:00 at night I had to try to find a parts store to get a fuse. I found a gas station with mini fuses, and while it sort of fits, it doesn't seat in all the way, so I'm going to have to find the slightly smaller Ford one they're using. What a pain in the butt!

An interesting side effect of no fuse in the Sync slot is that the A/C controls go out of communication with the car and so the car decides to go to MAX HEAT and MAX FAN! I had to drive with the sunroof and windows fully open to keep from getting cooked. Seriously.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in myself for getting a first generation Microsoft product. My friend warned me, and as a long time techy I should have known better, but with MyFord having been in testing since some time last year, you'd think they'd worked the bugs out. Apparently not.

I picked up my 2011 Edge Sport on 10/22/10. I've pulled the fuse about a half dozen times now.

First problem was with trying to use my 64Gig Zune HD via USB. Pluged it in, indexing took forver. it worked great for a day. Next day the system reported no playable files. Poked at it a while (no fuse pull yet) and finally gave up. Plugged in a Zune 8 Gig flash model. Indexed and worked. For 4 days. I parked, went into the store. Back in the car, started it up and the last song playing was stuck. In fact, the whole Sync/My Ford Touch system was stuck. Stop car, shut off, open door, Close door, start car - no change. That was my first fuse pull.

The Zune8 and Sync worked for another few days, but that weekend, 7 days after picking up the car, the backup camera picture would come on, then go black when the menu overlay popped on screen (the two buttons upper corners for cancel/zoom). After a few times of that happening, the picture of the camera would come on and roll continuously. I didn't pull the fuse yet, though. The system got progressively slower to respond and/or be ready for input when starting up. After a few days of this, I pulled the fuse again.

I paired a new cell phone on 11/8, removing the old phone first. Worked great for the first day. The next morning, no phone and bluetooth reported to be off. Tried the master reset at this point, since I had stopped using the Zune due to the lock-up and another issue or two that escapes my mind at the moment. I now use the a/v inputs for the ZuneHD. Well, the master reset cleared the devices, but didn't resolve the bluetooth not being on issue. Pulled the fuse and then proceeded to reconfigure the system since the master reset had cleared preferences.

Next problem was the following day, when the Nav system refused to display the map and touch screen was totally unresponsive again. Pulled the fuse.

I think I may have missed at least one fuse pull event, but I'm about ready to do it again later today as the black screen seconds after engaging reverse began last night..

This system needs a software update badly.

And I sure wish that there was an alternative reboot procedure to the fuse pull as it is a real pain to perform.

-steve

Man I feel bad for you guys. I've had my 2011 Edge Limited for about two weeks now and haven't pulled the fuse once. I have seen the maintenance screen one time and it just kind of fixed itself after a few minutes. The interface definitely could be a lot faster and responsive, that much I certainly agree with. Hopefully it will improve with updates.

As for the bluetooth connectivity, I've only had to repair my iPhone 4 with it once or twice and that part seems to be working great.

Is there a chance some of the people with major problems have software that is not up to date, otherwise what could the difference be?

(copy of my post on the Sync Owner to Owner Site. It's the 2011 MKX, but it's the exact same electronics as the Edge)

Issues with 2011 MKX MyTouch/Sync System...

Had the vehicle for just over 2 weeks and I am coming up on my 3rd time of having to pull fuse 29 to "reboot" the MyTouch/Sync Module/System. (Seriously considering wiring up a button or toggle switch to the fuse).

List of issues in order of what I'm seeing to the point of having to pull the fuse.

1. System touch response slows down or gets "sluggish" after a day or 2.

2. Menu's start coming up blank. Mainly the Settings Menu's. Starts with 1 (let's say Sound) showing as blank. Then gets worse to where all Settings Menu's are blank. "Blank" means the area where the sub-menu choices are displays empty, just an empty black no buttons.

3. Sync Services pages display blank.

4. After this the entire system slows to a grinding halt. You touch buttons and get the button press audio tone. But the display does not change. You can still change Entertainment stations and sources via the Wheel controls. But, the main touch screen is useless.

5. "Death Roll". Radio does not turn on, right side wheel controls for Phone, Entertainment, etc. scrolls through the menu's and takes selections. But, nothing happens. No Radio, no back-up camera, no phone (bluetooth link on phone does NOT connect to vehicle), no voice control, no fan/temp/ac control. Main Screen is frozen on Home screen, does not respond (visual or audio prompt) to any touch.

At this point the only way to get the system back is to pull the fuse to reboot. Turning the vehicle off (for any length of time including overnight) and on again does not reset the system.

Tech's at the dealer say they have never seen or heard of this problem before. Leaves me feeling VERY reluctant to even bring it in to them to look at. Since all they do is disconnect the battery or pull the fuse to reboot the system anyway. Then it's working for a few days until the "fun" begins again....

I'm in the process of taking Videos with my cell phone of going through the Menu's and all the issue as they progress to show the dealer/tech's. I'm now in line (probably in 4 to 5 days) of having to do my 4th fuse pull.

I had to pull fuse 29 again today and of course it dropped into the abyss behind the kick panel / floor. I went after it but couldn't find it.

I decided to look for another fuse that I could rob so i could get touch running again. After studying the manual, I see that there are spares plugged into spaces in the panel. Thanks to Fuse 5 for coming to the rescue!

(damn! Why do I have to resort to this on a brand new car)