Add nav to a 2011 with myford touch?

Hi guys, first time poster here...

Just purchased a 2011 edge with MyFord Touch but could not afford to add the Navigation/panoramic roof combo. I read the navigation comes on an SD card. Does this mean I can purchase this card later and it will work on the touch system? If not, how easy is it to add the integrated navigation down the road.

I did some searching on this but found nothing so I appoligize if it has been asked before.

Thanks!

Hi guys, first time poster here...

Just purchased a 2011 edge with MyFord Touch but could not afford to add the Navigation/panoramic roof combo. I read the navigation comes on an SD card. Does this mean I can purchase this card later and it will work on the touch system? If not, how easy is it to add the integrated navigation down the road.

I did some searching on this but found nothing so I appoligize if it has been asked before.

Thanks!

There is a thread somewhere - but honestly it alludes me where now. The general answer is at this time, no - it isn't as simple as buying the card (don't just buy one off ebay, it won't work), but there is a possibility that later down the road it might be able to be added. There is something that has to be done with the unit as a whole.

Other than that - welcome and enjoy.

The Navigation software must be updated and the SD card installed at the same time. You can't add Nav right now but I think you'll be able to in a few months once the dealers get the Nav software update procedure.

^100% right. I had a discussion with someone in the family who works for Ford and they were explaining this. As long as My Touch in in the car, itll add on later. Smart idea to keep customers coming back if they want to add features, or to just get them in the showroom so they see whats new.

Edited by Edgieguy

Im major metropolitan areas, there will be one or more Ford authorized radio exchange/repair stations. They are usually the most knowledgeable about new products and what can be later installed/modified. Ask your service advisor who their radio exchange station is and contract them direct. One less set of ears (and opportunity for misintrepretation) in the process.

Post back if you get any good insight.

• 1 month later...

I got that, but wanted to see if anyone actually can confirm if it really will be the case to eventually take the car back to get the Nav added afterward. I searched the internet and have not heard anything about it.

It's obviously possible - just depends on whether Ford decides to allow dealers to do the software update (and make the update available along with the SD cards) and I don't think they've decided yet. I'm sure they have their hands full with the new MFT software right now.

Ford would be pretty dumb to charge $800 for factory nav but let you buy an SD card for $400 and just plug it in. The issues aren't technical, they are business.

I assume when Ford does start offering it that it would cost the same as the factory nav - $795.

Edit - now that I think about it that would probably just cause more people not to order it from the factory so the aftermarket price would need to be higher - say $895.

Edited by akirby

i hope Ford is going to offer the ability to add navigation in the very near future, and I can't see any good reason to charge more for it post-production than when you order it from the factory. If consumers are on the fence about adding navigation after receiving their automobile, why not make it as easy as possible while still making some money - which makes me question paying $795 plus future map updates in the first place. I understand it might look better and integrates more seamlessly in the car, but the standalone GPS units are typically less expensive and work better, in my experience.

i hope Ford is going to offer the ability to add navigation in the very near future, and I can't see any good reason to charge more for it post-production than when you order it from the factory. If consumers are on the fence about adding navigation after receiving their automobile, why not make it as easy as possible while still making some money - which makes me question paying $795 plus future map updates in the first place. I understand it might look better and integrates more seamlessly in the car, but the standalone GPS units are typically less expensive and work better, in my experience.

But you get a 4" screen instead of a 8" screen plus some other integrated features.

The marketing reason is you want to sell more factory nav units up front. If it's a $795 option that can be added any time then more people will opt out of buying it up front and may never buy it. It really comes down to how many factory Nav sales would be lost (which is really unknown but could be high) versus the number of additional sales generated by having it optional.

I think the biggest advantage would be for dealers who could order inventory with just the MFT and make Nav a dealer installed option. But I don't see it helping Ford necessarily, at least not in the short term.

If you want Nav - get the factory Nav.

There's a few 7 inch standalone GPS units, and plenty of 5 inch screens to choose from - so not sure why someone would be limited to a 4 inch screen. The integration would cost approx $1195 (795 + update map year 2 + 200 update map year 3) vs approx $275 for a 5inch screen with free maps 4x/year and bluetooth.

The lack of flexability, limited choices and the attidute of "if you want something you better do it our way or else" is frustrating, and not necessary to succeed.

There's a few 7 inch standalone GPS units, and plenty of 5 inch screens to choose from - so not sure why someone would be limited to a 4 inch screen. The integration would cost approx $1195 (795 + update map year 2 + 200 update map year 3) vs approx $275 for a 5inch screen with free maps 4x/year and bluetooth.

The lack of flexability, limited choices and the attidute of "if you want something you better do it our way or else" is frustrating, and not necessary to succeed.

I think we all agree that portables are much more flexible and economical, but there is something to be said for having an integrated system built into the factory head unit and voice operated. How much that integration is worth to you is a personal decision.

I have ordered my MKX about 3 months ago and have been driving it for 2 months. After my salesman told me it would be possible to add the GPS unit after the fact (Circuit Ford in Montreal), he finally admitted today that it doesn't seem like it will be possible to do at all ... He forwarded me an email from Sarah J. McGrath (Marketing Plans Manager of Ford Canada):

"Unfortunately the answer to this is no...you have to order the navigation system as an option from the factory...the nav module cannot be installed after the fact. "

I'm sure you can understand that I am quite pissed to hear this. First of all, coming from the dealer, you kind of expect it to be right !!!! And second of all, how come it took 3 months to get the final answer ??? Looks like I wont be having a GPS in my car until at least 4 years .... This is the last time I take the word of a dealer for granted.

I noticed something for the first time yesterday. When I have the 4 screens layed out and I clic on the "compass screen" (top right), it gets me to the "Where Am I" screen. Although that screen does not show me where I am on a map, it actually shows my Latitude, Longitude and Altitude (data changes along the way). To me, that proves without a doubt that the GPS module is actually in the car and up & running, which contradicts another dealer who told me otherwise! Thus, activating the maps should normally only be a question of a simple procedure or software installation at worst. I'm convinced that no material add-on is required.

This being said, I'm still blown away by Ford Canada who states there is no way to activate the GPS function at the dealer ... time will tell. At worst, I hope someone will have the brilliant idea of building an application that will use the car's (or phone) GPS with Google maps, or something like that.

I noticed something for the first time yesterday. When I have the 4 screens layed out and I clic on the "compass screen" (top right), it gets me to the "Where Am I" screen. Although that screen does not show me where I am on a map, it actually shows my Latitude, Longitude and Altitude (data changes along the way). To me, that proves without a doubt that the GPS module is actually in the car and up & running, which contradicts another dealer who told me otherwise! Thus, activating the maps should normally only be a question of a simple procedure or software installation at worst. I'm convinced that no material add-on is required.

This being said, I'm still blown away by Ford Canada who states there is no way to activate the GPS function at the dealer ... time will tell. At worst, I hope someone will have the brilliant idea of building an application that will use the car's (or phone) GPS with Google maps, or something like that.

I haven't seen a "compass screen" in the upper right hand corner, i think mine says "Information" and has sync services, apps/uploads, calender. Has yours always said "compass screen". maybe a difference between US and CAN?

Sync uses the GPS for 911 assist and Sync services. All Ford's with Sync have had a GPS unit since 2010 model year.

Again, the reason a dealer can't enable it is purely financial. How could Ford control the revenue generated from the Nav option if any dealer could just go and turn it on?

Even a 2010 Lincoln MKT (which has standard touch screen but not MyLincolnTouch) has all the hardware required for Nav, just not the software.

not sure it's purely financial - heck the stuff they sold me that was already installed doesnt work right i'm sure they don't trust themselves as a company to actually upgrade any of it yet. it's process related. They can control the revenue just like they control it when they install any after market item, there's a model in place (remote start, security, dvd, smartalert gps tracking,....

Sync uses the GPS for 911 assist and Sync services. All Ford's with Sync have had a GPS unit since 2010 model year.

Again, the reason a dealer can't enable it is purely financial. How could Ford control the revenue generated from the Nav option if any dealer could just go and turn it on?

Even a 2010 Lincoln MKT (which has standard touch screen but not MyLincolnTouch) has all the hardware required for Nav, just not the software.

Of course that could be the reason, but I just saw the article where Ford touted the ability for the dealer to add Navigation to a MFT system after the fact.

I think they simply don't have the logistics in place for the customer to pay for the feature and for the dealer to install the software yet. All they would have to do is have the dealer sell the SD card upgrade for $795 or $895 or whatever and the dealer installs it. Since the SD card has to be authorized with the installed software that should prevent piracy.

The hardware is fully in place and only the correct software revision along with the maps themselves which reside on SD are needed to add it at a later date. Their are a few reasons not to do it however. As already stated if it was allowed up front many would skip it until more funding was available and then out of those a good number would never actually pony up meaning lost revenue. Not just from the sale of the option but also some finance dollars lost as the option will increase the overall loan cost. Then there is a larger window to allow piracy into the party. Also the dealers will want a cut of the pie meaning that some of the profit is diluted by the split as time in the shop must be accounted for as well as the upgrade itself. Most of these things can be taken care of as pointed out just by pricing the add in price on par or exceeding the cost of the factory installed option. This really only leaves reason one, less overall sell through as people skip it up front and then never do add it in.

As a long time Ford owner and buyer of Ford Parts there is no way Ford (in my opinion) will sell this option (if they ever decide to) for $795 or $895. It will be more like $1100 to $1300 if you are lucky. If you can find a dealer that will discount it you might get it for $1000.

Like I said this my opinion, but it is based on many years of dealing with the Ford parts system.

I haven't seen a "compass screen" in the upper right hand corner, i think mine says "Information" and has sync services, apps/uploads, calender. Has yours always said "compass screen". maybe a difference between US and CAN?

Sorry, compass screen is not the right word. I said compass because that's what it's called on the smaller LCD screen in dash. Indeed, mine says apps /uploads also ...