2011 Edge major defect

overthe edge

If this is as big of an issue as people seem to be making it out to be here, they should stop production of the Edge until it is fixed. No one spending this amount of money on a vehicle should have to go though all of this pain. Funny thing is after reading these posts I called several dealerships in the Toronto area and Ford Canada inquiring about issues with myFord touch and they all said they are not aware of any issues.

Good news!!!!

Picked up my edge yesterday from ford. The dealership was able to get a early release of the sofware upgrade. They had a cable rushed in wednesday from just being manufactured tuesday.

Sync is now reprogrammed. Some things are slightly different such as ( Have only driven the car for 20 minutes) :

Faster screen.......not fast, but very tolerable

Nav reads in Km (great for the canadian metric system)

And the big one - Screen works in cold temp. Started the car this morning, (-5*C over night) and the screen came right on.

So far so good......

One thing I must say is that the dealership has been great to deal with. Truley nice people that seem to care. If you live in the Oshawa area, FRASER Ford is the way to go.

Congrats! I'm happy for you and that's great news!!

How long did you have your Edge before it went in for the update / problem with screen?

Glad to see the update is nearing completion (I hope) but if they gave you the "early" release, I'm guessing it's done and they are just testing it now before the public release? I now anxiously waiting for the update to be done on my car!

Glad you see some positive changes right away :)

Faster screen...nice!! I find the screen sorta quick but it slows down really slow when I start looking at my music on my USB stick...then it's terrible and there is some lag that I wish was a tad quicker when playing with the climate controls.

Nav in KM now...woohooo! That's a positive also! Just to confirm..when you have a destination setup, the directions to turn in xxx amount of distance is now spoken as KM when the voice comes on right?

Cold fix - have no idea how an upgrade could have fixed this, I personally thought it was hardware but so be it, if it worked, great!

Please keep us all posted on the new things you discover changes with / fixes for. Anything new that the system does or anything you see different yet? If there were 1500 "bugs" as someone mentioned, there must be more than just the 3 you have been able to notice so far.

Good news!!!!

Picked up my edge yesterday from ford. The dealership was able to get a early release of the sofware upgrade. They had a cable rushed in wednesday from just being manufactured tuesday.

Sync is now reprogrammed. Some things are slightly different such as ( Have only driven the car for 20 minutes) :

Faster screen.......not fast, but very tolerable

Nav reads in Km (great for the canadian metric system)

And the big one - Screen works in cold temp. Started the car this morning, (-5*C over night) and the screen came right on.

So far so good......

One thing I must say is that the dealership has been great to deal with. Truley nice people that seem to care. If you live in the Oshawa area, FRASER Ford is the way to go.

Good news!!!!

What was the cable for??

Also, Could you please check your SyncMyRide web site and check the version of software you have installed (also take note of the date)

I had the edge for about a month when it started having issues. After about 6 week i took it in. From what i understand is that the software is complete, its just getting a few "approved" stamps on it before releasing it to the public.

And YES the nav is completly in KM voice and on screen.

I also thought it must be a hardware issue not a sofware issue...but......

I dont know the name/version of software, but i am guessing it may be a recall. It cannot be loaded via USB. The dealership needed to use a new cable to comunicate with the sync.

I had the edge for about a month when it started having issues. After about 6 week i took it in. From what i understand is that the software is complete, its just getting a few "approved" stamps on it before releasing it to the public.

And YES the nav is completly in KM voice and on screen.

I also thought it must be a hardware issue not a sofware issue...but......

I dont know the name/version of software, but i am guessing it may be a recall. It cannot be loaded via USB. The dealership needed to use a new cable to comunicate with the sync.

So they needed the cable to install the software. Your's must have been the first new Edge they've delt with

If you have registered on the SyncMyRide website, you can see the sync version installed in your Edge

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/AccountManagement/VehicleMaintenanceHistory.aspx

Here is what mine looks like...see attached

post-9129-040814300 1290176975_thumb.jpg

I must say I am getting very tried of the Sync system sending bits to wrong places. Its pretty much like Russian Roulette to see what goes wrong today. Yesterday my screen went blank 2 min into the drive (white screen of death). Unlucky for me I had the heated seat on high and was on an important business call. Since I was on the highway, there was no good opportunity to pull over and re-set the system for a few minutes by which time I was sweatting bullets from the seat getting way too hot. 2 day earlier I had no volume control. Had to pull the fuse to force a re-boot to fix that one. Its pretty much Murphey's Law every day.

Eventhough it does not stop the car from driving, it is a serious annoyance and if I could, I would return the vehicle and go back to my 2007 Mazda CX-9 which I drove for 3 years and 90K miles without an issue. I guess this is what I get for trying to support the US auto industry. Sure hope the software fix is available soon and actually addesses most of the issues.

Over the edge: Can let us know if the update will allow the viewing screen we pick as our default e.g. wallpaper to remain the view we chose after restarting the car or does it still default to the 4 big boxes?

I think the multiple screen options are useless and stupid if I have to picking wallpaper every time I shut the car off and on again. We should have to simply press "save" and that's what comes up each time we get into our car.

If you have a moment, please let us know :)

Thanks!

Edited by Dreamss

Just talked to my dealer in Mississauga today. He confirmed that vehicle delivery is on hold until some of these issues are dealt with. He also confirmed that the dealership just rec'd the latest software fix yesterday......hopefully it will cure most of the issues and speed up delivery of my vehicle. Here'e hoping :headspin:

Just talked to my dealer in Mississauga today. He confirmed that vehicle delivery is on hold until some of these issues are dealt with. He also confirmed that the dealership just rec'd the latest software fix yesterday......hopefully it will cure most of the issues and speed up delivery of my vehicle. Here'e hoping :headspin:

I sure hope that is the case! I'm scheduled to take mine in Monday for an issue with my seat. It would great if I was able to get the software update too.

iOS 4.2 should be out next week also.

Are the planets coming into alignment??

I sure hope that is the case! I'm scheduled to take mine in Monday for an issue with my seat. It would great if I was able to get the software update too.

iOS 4.2 should be out next week also.

Are the planets coming into alignment??

Planets lining up??? Funny, according to the movie 2012, on Dec 21, 2012 the planets line up and your MFT explodes, then the planet explodes but Microsoft says they have a patch for that feature. Coming soon to a vehicle near you. This note is rated F - All Ford Owners

For the past few years, I've been alpha/beta testing the Boxee software. It's had more than it's share of problems. Boxee always kept the testers updated with status of issues & resolutions.

Now that the Boxee Box is out, people are still reporting bugs on their forum. Boxee support is managing the customer's expectations the way I think Ford should be doing. They have a forum outlining the issues and they list the planned resolution with a time frame.

The Sync development team at Ford needs to have a look at this and learn how to communicate to the public

Check it out here... http://forums.boxee.tv/showpost.php?p=121978&postcount=1

Just picked up my Edge today. Unfortunately, the screen keeps rebooting every 5 minutes or so and says that it's performing scheduled maintenance. It's extremely annoying. Anyone else have this issue? Does pulling fuse 29 help any?

Shane, sorry to hear of your experience. Check out overtheedge's posts. Maybe have your dealer call his. It seemed to fix his issues for the time being.

Just picked up my Edge today. Unfortunately, the screen keeps rebooting every 5 minutes or so and says that it's performing scheduled maintenance. It's extremely annoying. Anyone else have this issue? Does pulling fuse 29 help any?

Shane that sucks. I am expecting to receive mine in about 3 weeks. Hopefully something will be done to correct the many problems some owners are experiencing in the very near future.

That sounds like the same issue I had......There is a software update. My dealer updated the software, this does require a special cable. Your dealer should be able to get the software and cable soon, if not now, as it has just been or soon to be released.

That sounds like the same issue I had......There is a software update. My dealer updated the software, this does require a special cable. Your dealer should be able to get the software and cable soon, if not now, as it has just been or soon to be released.

Picked my new Edge up at the dealer today and it still had an older version than the one you reported...so far the only issue is bluetooth audio not working, but I'm only on hour 4 so I don't really know how things work yet.

Thanks for the info. So this software update completely fixed the constant rebooting for you?

DITTO!!!!

I am having issues with the whole 2011 Ford Edge Mytouch SYNC system; within 5 days of purchase it started acting up and dropping phone connection. Took in for service and all they would say is it is your phone; I do not have an iphone which is one of the phones having issues with the SYNC system. Four days later the whole system went DEAD!!! Ford Service said it was the computer module and ordered one and the following week it finally came in. After the service dept. tried to connect and program the new item all day they determined they could not. I was called and told it will be 2 to 3 weeks for Ford to get back to them with a possible fix. The car is still in service and I have been advised by the Lemon Law Consumer Protection Lawyer to leave it there especially since they wanted me to pick it up unfixed. If you are having any problems like this you should contact a Consumer Protection Attorney; it's a free service for the consumer. Hope this helps others.

DITTO!!!!

I am having issues with the whole 2011 Ford Edge Mytouch SYNC system; within 5 days of purchase it started acting up and dropping phone connection. Took in for service and all they would say is it is your phone; I do not have an iphone which is one of the phones having issues with the SYNC system. Four days later the whole system went DEAD!!! Ford Service said it was the computer module and ordered one and the following week it finally came in. After the service dept. tried to connect and program the new item all day they determined they could not. I was called and told it will be 2 to 3 weeks for Ford to get back to them with a possible fix. The car is still in service and I have been advised by the Lemon Law Consumer Protection Lawyer to leave it there especially since they wanted me to pick it up unfixed. If you are having any problems like this you should contact a Consumer Protection Attorney; it's a free service for the consumer. Hope this helps others.

Wow. This is sad!

Good luck