2011 Rear Headrests

I have a 2011 Edge Limited and want to remove the two outboard rear seat headrests to allow placing 2 small suitcases on the rear floor with the seats down. The owners manual shows headrest removal [push two tabs in and lift up]. I tried and tried to no avail. Had a buddy over and two of tried. No Luck. Took it to the dealer, they tried with no luck and pronounced that they are not removable. It might be that the illustration in the manual refers to only the front or it might be an error. [there are many errors in the manual] Or is there a trick involved?? Can anyone help??

I have a 2011 Edge Limited and want to remove the two outboard rear seat headrests to allow placing 2 small suitcases on the rear floor with the seats down. The owners manual shows headrest removal [push two tabs in and lift up]. I tried and tried to no avail. Had a buddy over and two of tried. No Luck. Took it to the dealer, they tried with no luck and pronounced that they are not removable. It might be that the illustration in the manual refers to only the front or it might be an error. [there are many errors in the manual] Or is there a trick involved?? Can anyone help??

I have the 2011 sport (should be same) and have successfully removed outboard headrests. The center headrest is NOT removable.

You have to extend to highest setting first, then press both tabs on both posts and wiggle to extract. I did it with seats up (although it bumped up against the roof). Maybe that's the difference?

I have the 2011 sport (should be same) and have successfully removed outboard headrests. The center headrest is NOT removable.

You have to extend to highest setting first, then press both tabs on both posts and wiggle to extract. I did it with seats up (although it bumped up against the roof). Maybe that's the difference?

I can't get them to go above the last detent on the shafts. There's still a good bit of clearance between the top of the headrest and the roof. Maybe we didn't wiggle enough. I'll take another shot at it tomorrow but I gotta say we struggled for a good half an hour as did the dealer. If anyone else has tried please let me know. At any rate, thanks for the input.

I, too wanted to remove mine. I saw in the manual as you did that they are removeable. I tried with no success. The first time I had to go back to the dealer for something I asked them to attempt. They ended up successful, but I was informed that they had a rough time of at least one of them. The service tech was going to put one back on to show how he got it off and my salesguy said "NO!!". So they both sit on my closet shelf and I have greater rear visibility. Great design, don'tcha think?

Hmmm... if you had a fair bit of room then maybe you weren't truly at the last notch of the post. Because when I did mine I was literally rubbing the roof trying to get it out. Of course the seats recline somewhat but mine were only reclined a little, so maybe your were more reclined?

It really only took me about 5 minutes. So weird that both of you had problems. I'm no mechanical genius, but I did have to apply a fair bit of force, but I figured you can't really break off a steel headrest post.

The center headrest is smack dab in the way and I'm annoyed you can't lower it unless you bring down the entire armrest at which point you can't easily access the seat belts (I have carseats in the back).

Nothing's perfect... :)

Hmmm... if you had a fair bit of room then maybe you weren't truly at the last notch of the post. Because when I did mine I was literally rubbing the roof trying to get it out. Of course the seats recline somewhat but mine were only reclined a little, so maybe your were more reclined?

It really only took me about 5 minutes. So weird that both of you had problems. I'm no mechanical genius, but I did have to apply a fair bit of force, but I figured you can't really break off a steel headrest post.

The center headrest is smack dab in the way and I'm annoyed you can't lower it unless you bring down the entire armrest at which point you can't easily access the seat belts (I have carseats in the back).

Nothing's perfect... :)

I'm sure the interior roof of the car isn't the issue. It might well become an issue if we could get the post closest to the centerline of the car to release. It simply defies release despite our holding the tiny button in as well as we could. My buddy and I are both car guys and reasonably handy in the shop but this has me stymied. The dealer had also tried to no avail. Anyone else out there who's tried?????

I'm sure the interior roof of the car isn't the issue. It might well become an issue if we could get the post closest to the centerline of the car to release. It simply defies release despite our holding the tiny button in as well as we could. My buddy and I are both car guys and reasonably handy in the shop but this has me stymied. The dealer had also tried to no avail. Anyone else out there who's tried?????

I tried today and no luck.

Is there a hidden release somewhere? I noticed a small hole in the base without the button. Do I need to jab something in there?

Did I see someone mention that you had to press both buttons? I have only one.

...then press both tabs on both posts and wiggle to extract.

You have two buttons on each headrest? I have only one that I can see

The manual says...

To remove the adjustable head restraint, do the following:

1. Pull up the head restraint until it reaches the highest adjustment

position.

2. Simultaneously press and hold both the adjust/release button (3) and

the unlock/remove button (4), then pull up on the head restraint.

post-9129-008513500 1290109006_thumb.jpg

Edited by wilsons66604

I figured it out!!! I had the same problem as everyone today and looked it over and saw how to properly remove them!!!!

On iPhone now, will post info tonight :)

I'd read the manual as had the dealer who had no more luck than I had. We found both buttons although the inboard one is well hidden. The problem remains: The inboard post will not release. Let me know if you actually get them out. Thanks

Actually, I've owned my Edge for about 2 weeks now and haven't even had the chance to open a manual or any other booklet that came with the car lol, I'm winging it for now and so far so good!

I wound up selling an old pair or speakers that I owned to a friend and knew I had no choice but to lower the rear seats if I was going to be able to fit them in the car at all. I also remember reading this posting and knew I may be in for some trouble so I was going in prepared for a fight!

I started with the seats completely upright to see what the release latch setup was like. I was used to other cars which had a release "push button" on each pole of the headrest but when I looked closely, it seemed like the pole closest to the window had the button sticking out (meaning you can push it in) whereas the other pole had the same exact button but it looked like it was already pushed in?? I found that so odd???

Anyhow, I pushed the button closest to the window in and tried pulling out the headrest. Like everyone else, mine got stuck at the last notch and I could not get it out any further. I tried messing around with the button that already seemed push in and still nothing. I yanked a little and tugged but at this point I knew it wasn't coming off. I looked carefully at the poles and noticed that the side closest to the window was not "stuck", meaning, if I wanted to, this pole could be ripped out, it was loose and it wanted to get out. I then noticed that the other side was not as loose and that it seemed locked. Right away I knew I had to look more carefully at this side and figure out why it was still locked. I was convinced that the push button was broken inside and should have been popped out but with everyone having the same problem, I ruled that out right away. There is something we are just not seeing and I didn't trust to even look at the manual as most of you already have with no luck.

I then thought to myself, this car is all about touch and cool tech, maybe that's what I need to mess with the get it out? I started rubbing and caressing the head rest and I heard a latch "pop!! The headrest had actually popped out! I was shocked! I pushed it back in just to make sure I wasn't crazy and tried again...I put the headrest all the way down and swiped my hands across the headrest and poof, it popped again! The headrest it actually touch activated!!! You just need to open your fingers when you swipe to make sure you get the right spot dead on.....

Ok, just kidding lol, the release for the headrest is actually in the MFT menu. On your home page, touch menu, setting, vehicle, and then press "headrest release". It's one of those undocumented features :)

Ok ok....I’ll be serious now!!!!

After carefully examining the inside button on the pole that seemed locked, I noticed a hole. This instantly peaked my curiosity so I grabbed an Allen key from my tool box just beside me, the smallest key in the pack, and poked it inside. After doing so, I felt like a little "bump" if you want to call it that and pulled on the headrest and it came right out, very easily and seamless :)

I did try it 2 or 3 times to make sure this was indeed the right way to do it and yes it is, it worked each and every time.

I think this is retarded, if I was actually out somewhere and needed to fold down my seats last minute, I would have been screwed. Who carried a tiny little pin or whatever on them at all times and it's stupid that I would need that to release the headrest, to me, this makes no sense at all. I'm lucky I was at home playing around with it, I would have been furious if I needed it down while I was out and I couldn't do it.

Also, the rear seat needs to be about 1/2 way down to remove the headrest, if it’s all the way up, you will hit the roof before it's completely out.

Here are some picks I just took from my garage 5 minutes ago. Sorry, they are dark but it's just to give you an idea.

Please try this out and let me know if it works for everyone :)

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

Many thanks for solving my rear headrest issue. In fact I took the car to my dealer who had pronounced them "fixed and not capeable of being removed'. I showed his trim guy your pics and out they came. I like my Edge but Ford needs to step up and report to owners and dealers about issues and errors in the manual. I shouldn't have to rely on other owners to solve issues.

Dreamss, you just reinforced why belonging to forums is so damned important! Kudos to you bud. Thanks for taking the time to photograph the hole in the adjuster too so it is crystal clear to anyone reading the post. (Like your sense of humour too!) Now to remember to stick a small allen key in the glovebox if and when I ever get mine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks so much for figuring this out. I read the manual (like an idiot) and was trying to push that non-button. When I noticed that the front seats had actual buttons on both posts, I quit. My next step was going to be trying to pop out the little non-button with something like an allen key in that hole. Maybe I would have figured it out, but more likely, I would have messed up the plastic and been cussing. Why couldn't they make them the same as the fronts??? Especially when that is what the manual states.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone with a recent build (mine was a March 2011 build) successfully removed the rear headrests?

I've tried removing mine according to what I've read on here but cannot do it.

The buttons on my headrest adjustments do not have any little holes to poke an allen wrench or any other tool into.

Could it be that Ford has closed that "loophole" on newer builds?

Appreciate any new info.

Thanks in advance.

Many thanks guys.

One of these days I'm going to learn to read what is written instead of what I THINK is written.

I was looking for the little hole IN THE ADJUSTMENT BUTTON instead of the "collar" around the other headrest post.

Of course it isn't in the button.

My headrests are now packed away in a plastic bag in my garage.

Have a super day to all.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Actually, I've owned my Edge for about 2 weeks now and haven't even had the chance to open a manual or any other booklet that came with the car lol, I'm winging it for now and so far so good!

I wound up selling an old pair or speakers that I owned to a friend and knew I had no choice but to lower the rear seats if I was going to be able to fit them in the car at all. I also remember reading this posting and knew I may be in for some trouble so I was going in prepared for a fight!

I started with the seats completely upright to see what the release latch setup was like. I was used to other cars which had a release "push button" on each pole of the headrest but when I looked closely, it seemed like the pole closest to the window had the button sticking out (meaning you can push it in) whereas the other pole had the same exact button but it looked like it was already pushed in?? I found that so odd???

Anyhow, I pushed the button closest to the window in and tried pulling out the headrest. Like everyone else, mine got stuck at the last notch and I could not get it out any further. I tried messing around with the button that already seemed push in and still nothing. I yanked a little and tugged but at this point I knew it wasn't coming off. I looked carefully at the poles and noticed that the side closest to the window was not "stuck", meaning, if I wanted to, this pole could be ripped out, it was loose and it wanted to get out. I then noticed that the other side was not as loose and that it seemed locked. Right away I knew I had to look more carefully at this side and figure out why it was still locked. I was convinced that the push button was broken inside and should have been popped out but with everyone having the same problem, I ruled that out right away. There is something we are just not seeing and I didn't trust to even look at the manual as most of you already have with no luck.

I then thought to myself, this car is all about touch and cool tech, maybe that's what I need to mess with the get it out? I started rubbing and caressing the head rest and I heard a latch "pop!! The headrest had actually popped out! I was shocked! I pushed it back in just to make sure I wasn't crazy and tried again...I put the headrest all the way down and swiped my hands across the headrest and poof, it popped again! The headrest it actually touch activated!!! You just need to open your fingers when you swipe to make sure you get the right spot dead on.....

Ok, just kidding lol, the release for the headrest is actually in the MFT menu. On your home page, touch menu, setting, vehicle, and then press "headrest release". It's one of those undocumented features :)

Ok ok....I’ll be serious now!!!!

After carefully examining the inside button on the pole that seemed locked, I noticed a hole. This instantly peaked my curiosity so I grabbed an Allen key from my tool box just beside me, the smallest key in the pack, and poked it inside. After doing so, I felt like a little "bump" if you want to call it that and pulled on the headrest and it came right out, very easily and seamless :)

I did try it 2 or 3 times to make sure this was indeed the right way to do it and yes it is, it worked each and every time.

I think this is retarded, if I was actually out somewhere and needed to fold down my seats last minute, I would have been screwed. Who carried a tiny little pin or whatever on them at all times and it's stupid that I would need that to release the headrest, to me, this makes no sense at all. I'm lucky I was at home playing around with it, I would have been furious if I needed it down while I was out and I couldn't do it.

Also, the rear seat needs to be about 1/2 way down to remove the headrest, if it’s all the way up, you will hit the roof before it's completely out.

Here are some picks I just took from my garage 5 minutes ago. Sorry, they are dark but it's just to give you an idea.

Please try this out and let me know if it works for everyone :)

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

I was happy to use your advice to successfully remove my rear head restraints. One thing to point out for clarity is that the hex wrench needs to be pushed in the direction of the back of the vehicle, not straight in. Once you have the restraint out, you can pull out the plastic sleeve quite easily. Looking inside you can see the metal tab that is holding the restraint in place. If you place your tool behind that tab and apply a little leverage the part will come out. The metal tab itself is easily removed from the plastic if one chose to do that. That plastic part can then be reinserted back into the sleeve, the sleeve will fit back into the seat (tongue and groove alignment required), and then the restraint will go back into the seat. It can then be quickly removed like any other car I have ever owned.

I can't imagine why Ford has that locking tab in there other than to keep people from removing the restraint. In the world of litigation too many things are made dummy proof. I personally have enough sense to keep the restraint in place because I sometimes have people back there. For legal reasons, I wouldn't want to have an accident with it missing . At the same time, there are times when I want the seat back down and that restraint is just in the way.

post-19443-0-62448900-1323211283_thumb.jpg

post-19443-0-77690700-1323211299_thumb.jpg

post-19443-0-68400000-1323211309_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth, this is the same configuration for the 2013 Edge, and the solution is therefore the same as outlined above. My wife and I are taking our golden retriever with us on a few hundred mile getaway and I needed to get those ^%#(& headrests off temporarily so I could slip a seat cover over the rear seat, under the headrests. I found the hole for the Allen key ok, but logic told me to push toward the center of the post and I had no luck. The secret is to push the Allen key parallel to the length of the seat. It's shown clearly in the photos above, I'm just describing it a little differently. Just push the Allen key parallel to the carpet-like backing that runs along the toip edge of the seatback, which you can see in the photo. As stated in the earlier posts, the center headrest is integral to the armrest and it will not come off. It is lower profile so I'll just drape the seat cover over that, or cut an opening in the seat cover to fit around it.

Once you know the trick, it's not so bad and it's a good thing to know if you ever need to remove the headrests for hauling stuff (but removal is obviously NOT recommended for passenger transport for safety and liability reasons).

BTW, I'm going to print out this thread and put it in a plastic bag with an Allen key for storage in the rear cargo compartment because I know I'll forget how to do this!

Edited by edge1217