FORD in trouble?

jimmerz

Ford is struggling. I read an article that said they lose approximately $3000 everytime they SELL a Focus hatchback???

I think Ford needs to stop everything they are doing right now and START making all Electric/Hybrid/Hydrogen cars. They could be the big leader in this arena.

If they make affordable, sporty and reliable vehicles, they will blow their competition out of the water. GAS engines will soon be the thing of the past anyway.

-Contact ZAP and partner up with them and start making some real electric cars!!!

http://www.zapworld.com/

Ford is struggling. I read an article that said they lose approximately $3000 everytime they SELL a Focus hatchback???

I think Ford needs to stop everything they are doing right now and START making all Electric/Hybrid/Hydrogen cars. They could be the big leader in this arena.

If they make affordable, sporty and reliable vehicles, they will blow their competition out of the water. GAS engines will soon be the thing of the past anyway.

-Contact ZAP and partner up with them and start making some real electric cars!!!

http://www.zapworld.com/

They probably make $15,000 everytime the sell one of the new Super Duty's :shades:

Might be a bad idea with the hydrogen deal since there is no infrastructure. But I would rather do that than pay more money for gas. I think all Ford cars should be E85 capable. How hard would that be to do in each motor. Are special seals needed or is it just a program in the CPU.

Don't gets sucked into the whole E85 thing. I don't have the energy now to go into the whole story but essentially.

- The cars aren't anymore fuel efficient.

- The E83 isn't really that much cheapers

- E85 fuel don't burn are clean.

- E85 takes more energy to refine than petroleum.

- Using corn for fuel raises the costs of many food products due to increased demand.

Don't flame me if you think one or more of the above isn't true. They may not all still be true today but these are things I've read about E85 over the last 1-2 years. The money you save in fuel will be spent and them some on increased food products. Corn price have already gone up 40% in the last 6 months due to rising demand. What doesn't have corn syrup in it these days?

It's not the Holy Grail that many would have you believe. Hybrids are the next best alternative right now.

Edited by jamers1

Might be a bad idea with the hydrogen deal since there is no infrastructure. But I would rather do that than pay more money for gas. I think all Ford cars should be E85 capable. How hard would that be to do in each motor. Are special seals needed or is it just a program in the CPU.

It's basically a fuel sensor and extra programming to adjust the fuel mixture based on the amount of ethanol in the fuel.

But your fuel economy goes DOWN by 25% so a car that gets 20 mpg on gas only gets 15 mpg on E85. And there isn't enough corn available - it has to come from somewhere else.

Hopefully they can get to producing ethanol off switchgrass. It will probably take a while but when it comes itll be good. Food prices should go down and well all be happy. I just dont like giving my money away to countries overseas where we can keep money in this country. Just my thinking.

I never mentioned E85. I personally agree. That is NOT the way to go. Let s get away from any type of gas. Lets look at 100% electric. It is being done already...screw these BIG oil companies!!! Lets start making American stuff again and keep it all in house.

I never mentioned E85. I personally agree. That is NOT the way to go. Let s get away from any type of gas. Lets look at 100% electric. It is being done already...screw these BIG oil companies!!! Lets start making American stuff again and keep it all in house.

Hello Jimmerz, long time no talk. Anyway, I vaguely remember that a few decades ago, someone had already invented a "green", veg. oil engine, only shortly after he revealed it to the world that he got killed...allegely by someone in the oil industry! IF that was really true, then I hope the present big oil companies aren't as barbaric today as in the past...what about the tobacco industry?! Oh boy, let's not start that here! The point here I totally agree is the fact that powerful companies/ government should really LEAD the world right, whether it's saving the envrironment or saving the health of people.

I think all Ford cars should be E85 capable.

The only good thing about E85 is lining the pockets of the rich, and corn producers. How do you suggest the E85 gets transported to all the stations? By tractor trailer Cough*cough*? I hope you don't believe most of what you've obviously heard so far. Investigate all views first.

I don't have the answer. How can we produce all that electricity? Burn a shit load of coal?

• 2 months later...

..when I hear you guys it makes feel good that I decided to stick to FORDS all these years. there is a following for FORD that I can not see on GM products,even on the vettes the folloing is not half as strong as it with the MUSTANGS.....and I am proud to say that this "old guy" (some one made a reference to an old guy being impressed by an EDGE...lol) owns a 1985 Mustang SVO (MCA concourse driven class). No car is perfect but I feel that there is something about FORDS that is unique...and that I think is "US"....just my 2 cents...

Note to self: no more references to "old man"

How about "wise, distinguished gentleman"

Mr Carbonedge......you won my heart...I love you too!!!!! .....soon i will be able to appreciate an EDGE like you...and guess what I bet it will make me feel like a 40 year old man again...lol....I am 63...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one here that keeps up with news and stocks? All of the US auto makers are in trouble. Some just have more zero's in the red. The big 3 loose money on almost every car sold. Toyota is the only auto maker thats well into the green last I looked. Investors are keeping the big 3 afloat.

To clear things up, E85 is not new. Henry had a vision far beyond his time. Ever heard of a Model-T? One version could run on either ethanol, gas or a mix of the two. It can give more Power and MPG but that depends on how its made, mixture ratio and engine design. The normal pump E85 that we would buy has 20-30% less energy than gas. Ive been told that cars with turbo's may actually have an unnoticeable loss in power or even have more power in some cases. Around 10% less greenhouse gas emissions compared to gas. Last I checked corn, unlike petrol, is a renewable resource...which is good. IMO however, corn is not answer and a piss poor engineering attempt. A copy of something thought up almost 100 yr ago. Corn takes too much land and has a long growth cycle(1 crop/yr). Ethanol can also be made from most organics like sugar, fruit, rice, etc. Ethanol will eat aluminum and rubber so pipes have to be made of stainless or plastics. With either fuel, only 3-4% of its energy is used to move the driver forward. Most of it is wasted pulling 2-3 tons of steel and plastic, the extra weight from needless cargo, sitting at stoplights, running accessories and unused energy produced in the form of heat.(From Discovery Channel)

The only good thing about E85 is lining the pockets of the rich, and corn producers.

How many rich farmers do you know? They work VERY hard for very little pay. Most are just making ends meet and 1 bad yr could force them to sell. Price of fuel is not helping either. It's about money, yes, but its not the farmers pockets its going in. Just take a look at the major stock holders in oil company's, drillers, etc. You'll find a bunch of politicians, even a guy named Bush. Its BIG MONEY and corrupt all the way to the top. Bills are bought and paid for. The American way..PFFT! "It's not what you know...its who you know and how much your willing to pay".-someone

even on the vettes the following is not half as strong as it with the MUSTANGS.....and I am proud to say that this "old guy"

Grab your walker and go to the ford and Chevy dealership and compare the price of the two. That will explain why you see more pony's. They are cheaper to mod too. I mostly see old farts in new vettes. Sits in a garage if there's a chance of rain or not Sunday. I like em both, just have no use for either one.

I don't have the answer. How can we produce all that electricity? Burn a shit load of coal?

Superefficient cost effective photovoltaics! AKA, energy from the sun! No pollution and free! Just 30 days of sunlight has more power than the human race has ever produced. How to store the energy is the issue. The new solar cells will be out next year and produce 2+watts per .05 square inch in direct sunlight. lIf you wanna get rich...design a very light and small battery. Thats what we need. Reducing the weight of cars by 70% without sacrificing strength is in the works with carbon fiber. Claim its 10x stronger than steal. Sounds like steel when thumped or hit. Some Cali University is designing new manufacturing process's and building the machines to make it after they were told it can't be done. A couple teachers and some 20 yr olds without a paycheck are doing what the auto makers cant or wont do. They're building a 1500 lb solar car that can be plugged in to a power outlet and SELL YOUR STORED EXTRA ENERGY to the power company. A car that produces income! WOOT! No gas stations trips...EVER! They claim that enough cars are already on the road and if every car in the US today was a solar power collector, storage unit, and supply...it will power the whole country!!! So, how does no money spent for gas and FREE POWER sound? And being designed by ppl born in the late 80's that work for peanuts and still in school! Awesome! The auto makers need a swift kick in the pants so they will wake up and start to think out of the box.

Another 30 yr old option is hemp seed oil thats press from the seeds. Save some trees at the same time with the pulp fiber. One acre of hemp equals 10 acres of trees in only one year. But that may make rich ppl go to work instead of the golf course. Criminalized by Henry Aslinger mainly to have a reason to deport Mexicans coming into Texas. I don't think it worked! Not even a little. Our tax dollars at work and controlled by people riding the short bus. The truth is...he was paid by big business so there competition was illegal to grow. But they could still manufacture it legally. Damn lawyers!

Could just go back to the 1 HP horse I guess. Use methane for power. Replace lawn mowers and fertilize the lawn. Have to feed/water....oooo...um...never mind...have to put down the remote and get off the couch. Horse=land mines=work=bad idea. Oh well...

there is something about FORDS that is unique

Yep! The problem has been circled! :hysterical:

Heard of Lee Iacocca? A real self made man that doesn't know the meaning of failure. His new book is called "Where Have All the Leaders Gone?" A great read! A real eye opener! Anyways, here's a peak....

The whole interview can be found here

Am I the only guy in this country who's fed up with what's happening? Where the hell is our outrage? We should be screaming bloody murder. We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car.(That lines so true its just sad!) But instead of getting mad, everyone sits around and nods their heads when the politicians say, "Stay the course."

Stay the course? You've got to be kidding. This is America, not the damned Titanic. I'll give you a sound bite: Throw the bums out!

You might think I'm getting senile, that I've gone off my rocker, and maybe I have. But someone has to speak up. I hardly recognize this country anymore. The President of the United States is given a free pass to ignore the Constitution, tap our phones, and lead us to war on a pack of lies. Congress responds to record deficits by passing a huge tax cut for the wealthy (thanks, but I don't need it). The most famous business leaders are not the innovators but the guys in handcuffs. While we're fiddling in Iraq, the Middle East is burning and nobody seems to know what to do. And the press is waving pom-poms instead of asking hard questions. That's not the promise of America my parents and yours traveled across the ocean for. I've had enough. How about you?

I'll go a step further. You can't call yourself a patriot if you're not outraged. This is a fight I'm ready and willing to have.

My friends tell me to calm down. They say, "Lee, you're eighty-two years old. Leave the rage to the young people." I'd love to—as soon as I can pry them away from their iPods for five seconds and get them to pay attention. I'm going to speak up because it's my patriotic duty. I think people will listen to me. They say I have a reputation as a straight shooter. So I'll tell you how I see it, and it's not pretty, but at least it's real. I'm hoping to strike a nerve in those young folks who say they don't vote because they don't trust politicians to represent their interests. Hey, America, wake up. These guys work for us.