Adaptive Cruise Control - Worth it?

oakville_edge

Well I didn't know a lot about the Adaptive Cruise Control, but decided to get it and see what it was all about.

Yesterday I finally had a long enough trip going from the West side of Toronto over to the east side. I was really impressed - having had no expectations of it. My initial thoughts would be that it would just coast the car as traffic slowed down and you still had to manage the braking. I was curious what it would do when traffic came to a screeching halt... I had no idea the cruise control also use the brakes ... so imagine my suprise as I noticed a long stream of break lights ahead of me light up in a hurry.

I put my foot in ready over the brake, but I decided to see how the car would handle the situation before I intervened. Sure enough, the Edge went into serious braking mode bringing the car rapidly down to I believe 25 or 30ish KM/H before it chimed that the cruise was disengaged. At which point I had to take over the braking... For a total of 3 hours of driving yesterday I only had to takeover using the once the entire time because traffic was moving too slow for the cruise to be engaged. In fact for a while it was stop and go on the 401 hovering between 50KM/h to 100KM/h off and on the entire time, and the entire time I was amazed as the Edge just kept in behind the car in front... takes soooo much of the stress out of off and on traffic.

Anyways for those wondering if its worth the expense... I certainly was impressed by the system. Money well spent in my opinion.

Love it. I've taken four 250+ mile trips since getting my Edge. It takes so much of the work out of driving in moderate to heavy traffic. As long as traffic is moving, it takes care of it for you.

I have a 300+ mile trip coming up. Leaving on Thursday afternoon and I'll be hitting LA freeways just as it gets REALLY busy. I'm hoping that we'll move fast enough to not have the ACC disengage. Sirius Traffic will definitely come in handy on this one. It's my Edge's first Disneyland trip. I think I'll get it a 'first trip' button. biggrin.gif

Love it. I've taken four 250+ mile trips since getting my Edge. It takes so much of the work out of driving in moderate to heavy traffic. As long as traffic is moving, it takes care of it for you.

I have a 300+ mile trip coming up. Leaving on Thursday afternoon and I'll be hitting LA freeways just as it gets REALLY busy. I'm hoping that we'll move fast enough to not have the ACC disengage. Sirius Traffic will definitely come in handy on this one. It's my Edge's first Disneyland trip. I think I'll get it a 'first trip' button. biggrin.gif

The Navigation system will also help you find trouble spots in traffic. On a recent trip to Dallas it showed 2 areas that had wrecks and gave me a heads up on problems before I got to them. One I couldn't avoid because there was no alternate route but the 2nd I was able to go around.

The Navigation system will also help you find trouble spots in traffic. On a recent trip to Dallas it showed 2 areas that had wrecks and gave me a heads up on problems before I got to them. One I couldn't avoid because there was no alternate route but the 2nd I was able to go around.

That's what I was talking about. The Navigation system gets it's information from Sirius Traffic. I've had it pop up when I'm in Los Angeles a few times. I've found the accident information to be great.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I have the ACC but it did give me a rush recently when I was passing a big truck on a left handed curve and it preloaded the brakes when I wasn't expecting it. I guess the system thought I was closing on the truck too fast instead of passing. That is the only time I have not been pleased with the system.