Adaptive Cruise Control - Worth it?

oakville_edge

Nope... I have the limited, with adaptive cruise, and I don't have the Vista roof (needed the roof rack for kayaks)

When did you purchase your Limited.

The Ford Build and Price will not currently allow me to select the Adaptive Cruise without the 302A package. It was also that way in October 2010 when I was looking at options. I wanted one without the Vista roof and could not figure out how to get one with all the options I wanted without the roof option.

Edited by curlysir

I didn't order the Vista Roof but was told I could have Adaptive Cruise if I wanted it on the Limited.

But you're in Canada. In the U.S. you can only get adaptive cruise with the 302A package which includes the 301A package and that includes the Vista Roof.

It must be different options in Canada. Maybe that explains tobjo's situation as well.

On a 2011? Which package did you get?

I ordered the Driver Entry Package (51E)--(perimeter alarm, intelligent access, power liftgate, remote start), the Vision Package (17V)--(BLISS,Rain sensing), HID (59D), Adaptive cruise and Collision warning (63A), Voice Nav (52N) and the roof rack (68B). It is Canadian build Packages, ordered on November 11, Produced December 7, Shipped December 8, and took possession on December 18.

I ordered the Driver Entry Package (51E)--(perimeter alarm, intelligent access, power liftgate, remote start), the Vision Package (17V)--(BLISS,Rain sensing), HID (59D), Adaptive cruise and Collision warning (63A), Voice Nav (52N) and the roof rack (68B). It is Canadian build Packages, ordered on November 11, Produced December 7, Shipped December 8, and took possession on December 18.

Quick question...how do you find out when the vehicle is shipped? Is it through the dealer. Thanks

As already explained - it's only available that way in Canada, not in the U.S.

I don't understand why this isn't an option with the Sport. I would love to have it and would have chosen it as an option as well. It doesn't make sense to me to not have all of the options available for inclusion on the highest trim level of the vehicle.

Edited by Ridbidge

Quick question...how do you find out when the vehicle is shipped? Is it through the dealer. Thanks

My dealer was able to check the progress with his computer. Their site gave him updates all through the process. He was even able to know when the vehicle was put on the train, where the train was at, and when it was put on the transport truck.

I didn't order the Vista Roof but was told I could have Adaptive Cruise if I wanted it on the Limited.

Me too. I opted not to get it, though... wish I had now that I've heard so many good things about it! I just don't do enough highway driving to justify the cost.

If your dealer says you can't get it that way, try another... I had one dealer (I called several when I was initially pricing things), try to tell me that I couldn't get a Driver Entry package without the Vista roof. Really? I have one now!

I don't understand why this isn't an option with the Sport. I would love to have it and would have chosen it as an option as well. It doesn't make sense to me to not have all of the options available for inclusion on the highest trim level of the vehicle.

Technically it's not the highest trim level. The MKX is. That's the only logical explanation - they don't want the Sport competing with the MKX with the same engine so they restricted the options. If you want HIDs and the 3.7L you have to upgrade to the MKX.

Technically it's not the highest trim level. The MKX is. That's the only logical explanation - they don't want the Sport competing with the MKX with the same engine so they restricted the options. If you want HIDs and the 3.7L you have to upgrade to the MKX.

And yet they didn't offer the 22's on the MKX.

I'm going by memory here, but i think this is a pretty comprehensive list.

MKX features not available on the Edge Sport::

Adaptive cruise control

Adaptive HID headlights (headlights turn with the steering wheel)

Heated steering wheel

Heated rear seats

A/C front seats

Wood trim

Upgraded interior materials

Class II Trailer hitch

Edge Sport features not available on the MKX:

22" wheels

Paddle shifters

...By the way, the adaptive cruise is really cool.

I'm going by memory here, but i think this is a pretty comprehensive list.

MKX features not available on the Edge Sport::

Adaptive cruise control

Adaptive HID headlights (headlights turn with the steering wheel)

Heated steering wheel

Heated rear seats

A/C front seats

Wood trim

Upgraded interior materials

Class II Trailer hitch

Edge Sport features not available on the MKX:

22" wheels

Paddle shifters

...By the way, the adaptive cruise is really cool.

That's very close. The Edge Sport also has a unique handling/suspension package. The MKX Limited has special leather, badging and aluminium trim. Lots of things that could be grouped under upgraded interior materials like independent sliding armrests. Don't know if the Sport has laminated front side windows.

And, yes, adaptive cruise is darn nice to have. Should be for the $1500 I remember that option costing me...

Edited by Ctrl-z

I really like the Adaptive Cruise Control....and in the future, I probably won't buy another car without it.

Is it worth the $1,500 ??? Sure....for it's functionality and bragging rights..... ;)

PS - When on the Interstate, I like to cruise at about a 3 second distance from the car in front of me.....enough to catch some "broken-up air" (draft - for a bit better fuel economy), typically close enough others don't pull in-between.....but far enough back to not get stones kick-ed up and chips on my hood or windshield. This Adaptive Cruise Control is PERFECT for me. I get the BEST of All Worlds.... safe distance, better fuel economy, no stone chips....

I really like the Adaptive Cruise Control....and in the future, I probably won't buy another car without it.

Is it worth the $1,500 ??? Sure....for it's functionality and bragging rights..... ;)

PS - When on the Interstate, I like to cruise at about a 3 second distance from the car in front of me.....enough to catch some "broken-up air" (draft - for a bit better fuel economy), typically close enough others don't pull in-between.....but far enough back to not get stones kick-ed up and chips on my hood or windshield. This Adaptive Cruise Control is PERFECT for me. I get the BEST of All Worlds.... safe distance, better fuel economy, no stone chips....

I don't see how you could get any "draft" from that far back. In fact you're more likely to just get turbulent air which will make things worse, including the airflow into your cooling system.