2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

I am sorry, but i can't agree with you on this.... We pay thousands of dollars for these cars. We as a consumer should not accept anything less then a fully functioning car. My current version of 2.4 is a few updates behind. I can understand that going to 2.4 to 2.5 may not be necessary, but when ford or the dealers know theres THOUSANDS of people with issues... The least they can do is notify customers there's available updates especially when i am several updates behind whats current.. although not required updates.. they exist. It should be up to me if i want to take a day off of work to leave my car at a dealer basically stranded for a day because they refuse loaner cars. These are all policys from FORD, not the dealers themselves. Each Dealer would LOVE to have us come in every day for updates.... they get paid by FORD for all warranty work they do.

I am on version 1.8 still because I have no issues and see no reason to mess with a good thing. My dealership has not been in contact with me once on their own initiation, but that is fine with me. Don't hound me to upgrade when I am fine. By the same token - they have been great to talk to about these updates that have been released. Everyone will never be happy with whatever a company does. I personally have been fine with the communication I have had with "Ford" (my dealership) while you have not.

Anyway - I hope your issues are resolved with the newest update.

I am on version 1.8 still because I have no issues and see no reason to mess with a good thing. My dealership has not been in contact with me once on their own initiation, but that is fine with me. Don't hound me to upgrade when I am fine. By the same token - they have been great to talk to about these updates that have been released. Everyone will never be happy with whatever a company does. I personally have been fine with the communication I have had with "Ford" (my dealership) while you have not.

I am glad your happy, and have had no issues.... I dont expect to be hounded... Im not asking for a phone call every day for it. But an e-mail... or a letter in the mail.... You may have no issues... but theres plenty of people who do.

I am glad your happy, and have had no issues.... I dont expect to be hounded... Im not asking for a phone call every day for it. But an e-mail... or a letter in the mail.... You may have no issues... but theres plenty of people who do.

I agree that there should be some communication to owners as soon as a new version is released. It can be up to that owner then to act on it or not. I should not have to learn about when the latest release is available from an owners forum. This situation is so different from any other component failure on a vehicle. Its not like something breaks on the vehicle at which time I would go to the dealer to have it ifixed. The MFT has been "broken" since day one. Every update fixes something, messes something else up and does not address other things at all. It just continues to be broken and leaves many of us with the hope that the next release will actually fix our particular issue, which seem to be different in each case.

I am sorry, but i can't agree with you on this.... We pay thousands of dollars for these cars. We as a consumer should not accept anything less then a fully functioning car. My current version of 2.4 is a few updates behind. I can understand that going to 2.4 to 2.5 may not be necessary, but when ford or the dealers know theres THOUSANDS of people with issues... The least they can do is notify customers there's available updates especially when i am several updates behind whats current.. although not required updates.. they exist. It should be up to me if i want to take a day off of work to leave my car at a dealer basically stranded for a day because they refuse loaner cars. These are all policys from FORD, not the dealers themselves. Each Dealer would LOVE to have us come in every day for updates.... they get paid by FORD for all warranty work they do.

But how does Ford know who is having problems and who isn't and why would they want to send multiple update notices to people like choff1138 who is perfectly happy?

How is this any different than TSBs? Should Ford notify every owner every time a TSB comes out? Of course not (although I'm sure some people think that).

If you're having problems report them to the dealer. The dealer knows when and if a new version is available and whether it's applicable to your symptoms. If yours is working then there is nothing to be done.

Ford may still do a "service campaign" to notify owners once they get to a "final" version of the software but we're not anywhere close to that point yet.

You should be mad at your dealer, not Ford. They're the ones who didn't give you the updated software a month ago. Some people aren't having any problems so notifying every owner every time there is a minor software update would just cause unnecessary work for the dealers. If you're having problems then you work with the dealer to get the updates as needed.

Can anyone explain why I got a letter from Ford telling me to update my software a few months ago?

Does Ford know I have a screwed up system?

Do they know that Choff has a system with no problems?

This POS is Ford's problem and they should be happy to have the network of dealerships that can help to update the POS.

The dealerships are caught in the middle of all of this. I bet they all wished Ford had not released this Touch system. It's Ford's problem but it's the owners' and dealers' headache.

Edited by wilsons66604

I really think you should write Ford a letter and tell them that you have a system w/o issues. They may want to send a team up there to analyze your system :-)

But how does Ford know who is having problems and who isn't and why would they want to send multiple update notices to people like choff1138 who is perfectly happy?

How is this any different than TSBs? Should Ford notify every owner every time a TSB comes out? Of course not (although I'm sure some people think that).

If you're having problems report them to the dealer. The dealer knows when and if a new version is available and whether it's applicable to your symptoms. If yours is working then there is nothing to be done.

Ford may still do a "service campaign" to notify owners once they get to a "final" version of the software but we're not anywhere close to that point yet.

While I agree with most of what you are saying But the dealers themselves have been a bit shady when its come to the mytouch systems. I have switched dealers because my purchasing dealer with jerking me around and lying to my face. Telling me they don't have the right equipment and then telling me that the updates are not available when I know for a fact they are. I have a buddy that use to be a ford tech and he has been providing me with the ford documentation.

If the dealers service depts. learn to actually provide good service and explain to the end user what's going on then maybe you don't need that kind of over-site from Mamma and Pappa Ford. But until they do you have to keep the customers in the loop. I am not saying a mailing to each and every customer but at least give a notice on the ford sync website.

I've had my 2011 Edge Ltd since end of January... thought I would love having a new car with new technologies. However, I've been not happy with the MYSYNC freezing/not working then works. When I brought it in less than a month owning it they let me know there was a known issue sw update...fixed all good. NOT, here we are at the end of May and I'm going in for the possible third sw fix in four months. They can't tell me what version until they hook it up to the system. So, I asked...you had it last month don't you know the version? Does anyone know what version I need before I go in on Thursday? Last sw fix was for April 7th bullention

Do you think I need to start the lemon law process. Who's going to pay after my warranty is done... I'm just saying too much money for this heartache in four months three sw fixes??? Yikes thanks in advance.

Can anyone explain why I got a letter from Ford telling me to update my software a few months ago?

Does Ford know I have a screwed up system?

Do they know that Choff has a system with no problems?

This POS is Ford's problem and they should be happy to have the network of dealerships that can help to update the POS.

The dealerships are caught in the middle of all of this. I bet they all wished Ford had not released this Touch system. It's Ford's problem but it's the owners' and dealers' headache.

I agree they're not consistent and I don't think anybody is happy with the situation Ford included. But sending out letters to every 2011 owner every time a new version is released is not the answer.

I agree they're not consistent and I don't think anybody is happy with the situation Ford included. But sending out letters to every 2011 owner every time a new version is released is not the answer.

I dont really care how the inform there customers... but leaving them in the dark? We just paid 40K for a car that doesn't work.. never has worked correctly from the day we drove it off the lot.... Im not asking for anything more then customer service. All those people who aren't having issues... You think they are going to be upset ford announced a software update? Maybe mailings are a waste of paper or money... but someone posted early a great solution announce it on there web site.... Something.. anything other then leaving us all in the dark to find our own light.

+1, Exactly!

We don't trust Ford to do the right thing with MFT because they are not forthcoming. I just hope the news about a Microsoft team assigned to fix all issues is true and that we eventually get a solution to everyone's problem. Thank goodness for this and other forums to give us some information we can use as ammunition with the dealer in the short term. Keep it coming.

I do agree the updates should at least be noted on syncmyride.com. But the dealers are aware of the updates and all you have to do is call and ask - so how is that "leaving customers in the dark"?

Could they do more? Yes. Did they screw up royally? Yes. Are they going all out to try and fix the problems? Yes, with new releases every month or so and a rumored total rewrite that is backwards compatible.

Are customers with continuing problems upset? Yes. Are there customers who are happy with no problems? Yes.

If Ford stops putting out software updates before the problems are fixed OR if they start refusing to fix problem vehicles THEN I'll be the first one to blast them. Until then I give them the benefit of the doubt that they're doing everything they can to try and fix the problems even if they aren't doing it perfectly.

I've been where they're at on large software projects so I guess I have a little more empathy than most.

I've been where they're at on large software projects so I guess I have a little more empathy than most.

This is one large project that should never have been launched.

The Sync team may be doing everything they can but Ford needs to do some damage control. Hell offer us unhappy owners lifetime oil changes or something.

I do agree the updates should at least be noted on syncmyride.com. But the dealers are aware of the updates and all you have to do is call and ask - so how is that "leaving customers in the dark"?

Could they do more? Yes. Did they screw up royally? Yes. Are they going all out to try and fix the problems? Yes, with new releases every month or so and a rumored total rewrite that is backwards compatible.

Are customers with continuing problems upset? Yes. Are there customers who are happy with no problems? Yes.

If Ford stops putting out software updates before the problems are fixed OR if they start refusing to fix problem vehicles THEN I'll be the first one to blast them. Until then I give them the benefit of the doubt that they're doing everything they can to try and fix the problems even if they aren't doing it perfectly.

The expectations of the auto industry and its customers is much higher that for other products. MFT was released 2 years too early. OK, its done and now needs to be fixed.

To me, the biggest issue is that I don't know what Ford is actually planning. Its all rumours and then a new update shows up now and then. If I was the supplier of this system to Ford, they would expect a clear recovery plan with details on key milestones. I don't expect this kind of detail, but Ford should be communicating to its customers as to what issues they are aware of, have a some way to allow customers to communicate issues to them and give some impression that they are taking all this very seriously. Based on the last 6 months, I have no confidance that MFT will ever be fixed and the dealer network is not helping the issue.

This is one large project that should never have been launched.

The Sync team may be doing everything they can but Ford needs to do some damage control. Hell offer us unhappy owners lifetime oil changes or something.

I agree on both counts.

Based on the last 6 months, I have no confidance that MFT will ever be fixed and the dealer network is not helping the issue.

Ford isn't going to release the type of info you want for competitive reasons. And don't forget that there are a lot of 2011 owners with no issues or only minor issues.

By my count Ford has released at least 4 and possibly up to 6 new software updates since the 2011s were launched 8 months ago. While that shows they have a lot of problems

to fix it also shows they're putting maximum effort into fixing them. If they weren't publishing frequent updates then I'd be a lot more critical.

They're not going to publicly say that they're rewriting the software but that's what the insiders tell us and they're credible.

And yes, I think owners who have had multiple problems should get some type of compensation.

Ford isn't going to release the type of info you want for competitive reasons. And don't forget that there are a lot of 2011 owners with no issues or only minor issues.

By my count Ford has released at least 4 and possibly up to 6 new software updates since the 2011s were launched 8 months ago. While that shows they have a lot of problems

to fix it also shows they're putting maximum effort into fixing them. If they weren't publishing frequent updates then I'd be a lot more critical.

They're not going to publicly say that they're rewriting the software but that's what the insiders tell us and they're credible.

And yes, I think owners who have had multiple problems should get some type of compensation.

I don't doubt Ford is working hard to resolve these issues... They have no choice.. This system is being rolled out to more and more models each year. Sooner or later it will be in all there cars. The point again is... We spent 40k on a car... You should expect it to be in mint shape the day you roll off the lot. Do you find a dent in the door and accept it? If you do well then this conversation is over. The Dealers make good on minor issues discovered on delivery... But this issue can't be handled by the dealer. Most if not all Dealers are just as in the dark as we are. They need to communicate. I shouldn't have to activily call Ford in the hopes one day someone will answer and say, yes we have an update. I have better things to do with my life.

Most if not all Dealers are just as in the dark as we are. They need to communicate. I shouldn't have to activily call Ford in the hopes one day someone will answer and say, yes we have an update. I have better things to do with my life.

I said that Ford should make new version notifications on syncmyride.com. But the dealers know when a new software update is available and they can easily keep a list of their customers who are having problems to notify them.

I have been there myself on large projects software and hardware and ford or at least one of there many consultants should have warned them that building a user interface system from flash of this scope was just plain stupid. Java would have been the better choice.

The hardware specs alone should have given them a moment of pause.

Core CPU: ARM Cortex A8 @ 600 mHz (most of the phones you are connecting to sync are faster)

2D/3D graphics controller

512MB RAM

2GB NAND flash memory

these specs would have been fine if it was a background system that had no GUI and just did background processing but for front line work its a bit weak.

I have had a few problems (APIM replaced, address book issues) But nothing really killer. Altho I agree for 40k I expect something a bit better. I also took the risk of buying first model year but for me it was the edge or the new explorer and when i bought in November they didn't have a release date on the explorer.

I have been there myself on large projects software and hardware and ford or at least one of there many consultants should have warned them that building a user interface system from flash of this scope was just plain stupid. Java would have been the better choice.

Core CPU: ARM Cortex A8 @ 600 mHz (most of the phones you are connecting to sync are faster)

512MB RAM

2GB NAND flash memory

these specs would have been fine if it was a background system that had no GUI and just did background processing but for front line work its a bit weak.

I have had a few problems (APIM replaced, address book issues) But nothing really killer. Altho I agree for 40k I expect something a bit better. I also took the risk of buying first model year but for me it was the edge or the new explorer and when i bought in November they didn't have a release date on the explorer.

That's what happens when a car mfr tries to write complicated user interface software. The good news is it sounds like they know they messed up and they're getting outside help to fix it which includes ditching flash.

That's what happens when a car mfr tries to write complicated user interface software. The good news is it sounds like they know they messed up and they're getting outside help to fix it which includes ditching flash.

I am sure that hardware upgrades will come in future MY and applcations to make the system function as intended. I would guess that Ford will not upgrade the 2011 Edge and we will live with a sub-par system with software band-aids. I'm curious to see what happens when the car is out of warranty (15K miles for me).

I don't doubt Ford is working hard to resolve these issues... They have no choice.. This system is being rolled out to more and more models each year. Sooner or later it will be in all there cars. The point again is... We spent 40k on a car... You should expect it to be in mint shape the day you roll off the lot. Do you find a dent in the door and accept it? If you do well then this conversation is over. The Dealers make good on minor issues discovered on delivery... But this issue can't be handled by the dealer. Most if not all Dealers are just as in the dark as we are. They need to communicate. I shouldn't have to activily call Ford in the hopes one day someone will answer and say, yes we have an update. I have better things to do with my life.

Your flawed logic of comparing bugs in software to physical defects on the car's exterior doesn't hold water. No matter how you cut it, MFT is a rather complicated system - and entire OS - and even the best OS's out there are LOADED with bugs. Having so many updates to the software (plus a rewrite coming) is far more support than I've ever seen in most devices, much less systems like these.

No one is going to argue that MFT is perfect - it certainly is not. Personally I have some trouble keeping my phone connected via bluetooth. But for the most part it works fine, and for the majority of people it works fine. You are raising the bar to place that cannot possibly be reached by ANY in car system.. Go look in the forums for BMW and Mercedes' in car systems if you don't believe me. You knew what you were buying when you bought it. You want something that works 100% of the time? Go find a car that has nothing but switches and knobs.

I will liken this to a flip phone vs a smartphone. The flip phone probably work 100% of the time.. but it cannot do even a fraction of what the smartphone can. What's the trade off for the smart phone? Lower battery life, some things more complicated, and sometimes it messes up and you have to reboot it or pull the battery. Even on someone as polished as an iPhone. People live with that because the benefits outweigh the problems. This system is cool and everyone I show it to fawns all over it. It can be improved but I don't think its so bad as everyone makes it out to be.. Sheesh.

Oh and for the record, I think Ford does a terrible job of communicating updates when they are available and especially communicating what has changed in one version vs the next.

Edited by Ender519

512MB RAM

2GB NAND flash memory

They should be able to get it to work with those specs. While my phone is way faster, Sync/MFT doesn't have the burden of fancy animations nor 720p video. Don't get me wrong, a stronger more modern chip would be great and wouldn't have cost much more at this scale.