How to use Nav. while driving?

Does anyone know how to "hack" the nav system?

WIth aftermarket DVD players, you just route the ground wire differently and than you can watch DVDs or use more of the GPS functions because the system will constantly think its in (P) when it is or is not.

Does anyone know how to get this same effect with a 2010 MKX with the sync nav. system? I've been looking all over for help...

Does anyone know how to "hack" the nav system?

WIth aftermarket DVD players, you just route the ground wire differently and than you can watch DVDs or use more of the GPS functions because the system will constantly think its in (P) when it is or is not.

Does anyone know how to get this same effect with a 2010 MKX with the sync nav. system? I've been looking all over for help...

Is this for the passenger or the driver?

Is this for the passenger or the driver?

for the passengers, were making a straight drive from MI to FL and than back two weeks later (24hrs each way). 5 of us taking turns driving and such so were trying to figure out a way to rig it.

Actually have 10 of us going down for a cruise, Taking two MKX's but my 2007 doesnt have screens or nav system, just my parents mkx does, so we were looking if it was possible for the people riding in their car.

for the passengers, were making a straight drive from MI to FL and than back two weeks later (24hrs each way). 5 of us taking turns driving and such so were trying to figure out a way to rig it.

Actually have 10 of us going down for a cruise, Taking two MKX's but my 2007 doesnt have screens or nav system, just my parents mkx does, so we were looking if it was possible for the people riding in their car.

Do a search for sync lockpick. But please don't allow the driver to be distracted while driving.

• 4 weeks later...

Do a search for sync lockpick. But please don't allow the driver to be distracted while driving.

From what I can find this is for the SYNC system. Is there anything comparable for the MyFord Touch in the 2011s?

I agree about distracted drivers, but the passenger should be allowed to input nav and browse music.

From what I can find this is for the SYNC system. Is there anything comparable for the MyFord Touch in the 2011s?

I agree about distracted drivers, but the passenger should be allowed to input nav and browse music.

Maddwakester: Let me be politically incorrect here and blunt - How much of an idiot are you really?

Purchase your front passengers iPod/iPad/portable DVD/laptop/DVD-installed headrests, or whatever. Don't play Russian roulette with your life, your passengers, and the children and other innocents you are risking being shallow over. Please. Please. Please. It is not worth their lives and you regretting it the rest of yours, if you survived an "accident".

The driver may have no intentions to be disrupted. but it just takes one scene and one momentary lapse and lives could be damaged forever. It's just not worth the risk. Don't be the cause of this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maddwakester: Let me be politically incorrect here and blunt - How much of an idiot are you really?

Purchase your front passengers iPod/iPad/portable DVD/laptop/DVD-installed headrests, or whatever. Don't play Russian roulette with your life, your passengers, and the children and other innocents you are risking being shallow over. Please. Please. Please. It is not worth their lives and you regretting it the rest of yours, if you survived an "accident".

The driver may have no intentions to be disrupted. but it just takes one scene and one momentary lapse and lives could be damaged forever. It's just not worth the risk. Don't be the cause of this.

Also refrain from reading stupid posts from HOCKEY87 while drinking coffee as you could spill it and burn yourself.

By the way how would your front passenger see a dvd installed headrest???

Also refrain from reading stupid posts from HOCKEY87 while drinking coffee as you could spill it and burn yourself.

By the way how would your front passenger see a dvd installed headrest???

I dunno: maybe buy a DVD system installed in the headrest and jettison the front passenger to the back? So, in that Mensa mind of yours, that "sacrifice" ain't worth the safety of your family, others, and risking your insurance rates? Yeehaw!

Making big picture sense with the witless, lowly, and the myopic ain't no fun or glory, that's fer shur.

Edited by Hockey87

I dont see any name calling other than you calling us name callers.

To give the devil his due, if Blackened Edge's monicker is reflective of his chosen vehicle, he is a man of impeccable taste as that would also match my recent acquisition.

I was just trying to bring to his attention (and those who are open) the error and wrecklessness of his apparent position (and those espousing similar views).

But I should not have resorted to the terminology I used. .

Safety and responsibility is an important matter to me (as it appears to be for many of those in this forum). That was my intention. If it appeals to someone and saves a life, paralysis, or other such avoidable injury, then that is a good thing. A very good thing. The fact we'll never know is not important. Too late to realize remorse when irreparable damage is done. Increased insurance premiums and a damaged Edge are no penance. None of us deserve blood on our hands, BlackenedEdge included.

Apologies to BlackenedEdge, akirby, and anyone else I offended in the process.

• 1 year later...
I think it's too bad Ford didn't link the access to navigation with the presence of a passenger. The airbag system knows if a person is riding shotgun so the Nav system should be active while in motion if you have a front seat passenger.

The car might know that you have a passenger, but it still doesn't know that it's the passenger and not the driver who's using the nav system.

• Like 1

The car might know that you have a passenger, but it still doesn't know that it's the passenger and not the driver who's using the nav system.

Exactly. Ford experimented with systems to tell whether it was the driver or the passenger but in the end decided using voice control was a better solution since it can be used by either one.

I have an issue while using the voice control to input my city name into the navigation system. It will not recognize the word "Tampa", no matter how I try. Four different people (myself included) have tried saying it in a way that the system will pick up on it, but no luck. It seems to recognize other city names, street names, etc., so the system is working. I may have to bring it into the dealer to see if there is something wrong with it. Voice entry for the nav is absolutely useless to me if I cannot put in the city where I live!

On my 2012 with NAV, I usually just put in addresses manually before I leave. And almost always never write in city or state. Just use ZIP code and street addresses, and for motels and commercial places just use their phone number to put in destination. Don't know if you do this with voice or not. But imagine numbers recognize easier than words. My two other vehicles with NAV do not allow this. I think the Ford system is kinda neat.

Edited by RJG

I have an issue while using the voice control to input my city name into the navigation system. It will not recognize the word "Tampa", no matter how I try. Four different people (myself included) have tried saying it in a way that the system will pick up on it, but no luck. It seems to recognize other city names, street names, etc., so the system is working. I may have to bring it into the dealer to see if there is something wrong with it. Voice entry for the nav is absolutely useless to me if I cannot put in the city where I live!

Move to Clearwater?

• 1 year later...

Its interesting that Ford has chosen to ONLY lock keyboard type entries while in motion. Alpha Numeric, by touch screen. Looks like almost ALL touch screen inputs are active in Navigation. 100% active in Audio, 100% in Climate. So what sence does just locking keyboard inputs?

Example; NAVIGATION-POI-RESTRAUNTS-NEARBY- SORT BY DISTANCE OR ALPHA. Then you look and touch the line number , then look and touch SET AS DESTINATION.

I dont use cell phone so have no comment on that function.

Maybe some day Ford will wake up and listen to user input.

Its interesting that Ford has chosen to ONLY lock keyboard type entries while in motion. Alpha Numeric, by touch screen. Looks like almost ALL touch screen inputs are active in Navigation. 100% active in Audio, 100% in Climate. So what sence does just locking keyboard inputs?

Example; NAVIGATION-POI-RESTRAUNTS-NEARBY- SORT BY DISTANCE OR ALPHA. Then you look and touch the line number , then look and touch SET AS DESTINATION.

Ford just follows the industry standard guidelines like every other manufacturer, they didn't choose anything. Try any other factory nav system and you will find exactly the same thing.

Edited by Waldo

Glancing at the screen and pressing one button is WAY different than typing in a street address.