upgrading to full navigation

monitorlm

I currently own a 2011 Edge with sync and my touch. I would like to upgrade to full navigation if possible, my dealer had sent a inquiry to ford about this, and ford has not responded back. We've been waiting for a response for about two months now. I always thought all I needed was the sd card. My dealer can't even find a part number for it. Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade to full nav? There are times where the sync navigation has worked and there are times where it hasn't, mainly due to drop call or unable to find my location.

I've found this article if I read it correctly all I need is the sd card. http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/01/07/ford-to-make-navigation-standard-on-myford-sync-equipped-models/ This article makes it sound like all the hardware is there for full navigation, all one needs is the sd card.

Edited by monitorlm

I currently own a 2011 Edge with sync and my touch. I would like to upgrade to full navigation if possible, my dealer had sent a inquiry to ford about this, and ford has not responded back. We've been waiting for a response for about two months now. I always thought all I needed was the sd card. My dealer can't even find a part number for it. Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade to full nav? There are times where the sync navigation has worked and there are times where it hasn't, mainly due to drop call or unable to find my location.

I've found this article if I read it correctly all I need is the sd card. http://www.egmcartech.com/2010/01/07/ford-to-make-navigation-standard-on-myford-sync-equipped-models/ This article makes it sound like all the hardware is there for full navigation, all one needs is the sd card.

Nope. Can't be done right now. The dealers don't have the ability to load and activate the nav software and SD card yet. I expect it to be available at some point but I think right now they're too busy getting MFT upgrades out.

Nope. Can't be done right now. The dealers don't have the ability to load and activate the nav software and SD card yet. I expect it to be available at some point but I think right now they're too busy getting MFT upgrades out.

Thanks for responding, bummer I was hoping it could be done now.

is this the article you are referring to? Navigation Standard

"At the 2010 CES show today, Ford announced today that it will offer navigation as standard on all Ford vehicles with MyFord and SYNC – well, almost. Ford says that its new Secure Digital (SD) card based navigation requires no extra hardware upgrades. So all you’ll have to do is purchase an upgradeable Secure Digital (SD) card-based navigation, which features full graphical maps and turn-by-turn directions, eliminating the need for expensive navigation hardware." So according to this, all we need to purchase is the SD card. Unless of course Ford bragged about all of this innovation without actually putting it into production -

is this the article you are referring to? Navigation Standard

"At the 2010 CES show today, Ford announced today that it will offer navigation as standard on all Ford vehicles with MyFord and SYNC – well, almost. Ford says that its new Secure Digital (SD) card based navigation requires no extra hardware upgrades. So all you’ll have to do is purchase an upgradeable Secure Digital (SD) card-based navigation, which features full graphical maps and turn-by-turn directions, eliminating the need for expensive navigation hardware." So according to this, all we need to purchase is the SD card. Unless of course Ford bragged about all of this innovation without actually putting it into production -

It looks like it yes. And your probably right Ford might of might been doing alot of talking, and now they can't follow up with the walking

• 2 weeks later...

May I make a suggestion. Borrow an SD card from the dealer (taken from a car that has the full system) and pop it into your car and see if it will give you the full mapping.

OAKPLANK

May I make a suggestion. Borrow an SD card from the dealer (taken from a car that has the full system) and pop it into your car and see if it will give you the full mapping.

OAKPLANK

I don't think that will work. I remember reading somewhere that the sd cards are coded to each vehicle to prevent theft.

Edited by blitz118

• 4 weeks later...

I was told months ago by an engineer at Ford that the SD card Nav upgrade is possible and may be an option in the future. It would allow you to go to a Ford Dealer and have them order and install (unlock) the feature in the car. So even years old 2011 ford Edges could be upgraded if sold off lease or as used vehicles. Dont know the time frame on that plan, but he said the functionality was built in from the beginning so it does add hope for those who didnt get it originally

I was told months ago by an engineer at Ford that the SD card Nav upgrade is possible and may be an option in the future. It would allow you to go to a Ford Dealer and have them order and install (unlock) the feature in the car. So even years old 2011 ford Edges could be upgraded if sold off lease or as used vehicles. Dont know the time frame on that plan, but he said the functionality was built in from the beginning so it does add hope for those who didnt get it originally

That was pretty much the consensus - it was possible but Ford had not yet chosen to offer that option through dealers yet.

• 3 months later...

OAKPLANK

Finally borrowed a sd card at the dealer to see if it would work. Nothing happened. So either each sd card is coded to prevent theft or the my touch needs a software upgrade to accept full nav. or both. My dealer made an inquiry to Ford on upgrading to full navigation, and ford's response is "if the vehicle did not come with full navigation from the factory it can not be upgraded to full navigation." I don't get it since the car already uses gps after one downloads the directions from sync services. I live in a rural area and my experiences with syncnavigation is good and bad. When sync is downloading directions and the call gets drop because of poor cell reception and I try again and the system tries to download again and it may get it dowloaded and it may not because of cell reception. When directions do get downloaded the system does work very well. I feel that if I had full navigation getting directions wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by monitorlm

Finally borrowed a sd card at the dealer to see if it would work. Nothing happened. So either each sd card is coded to prevent theft or the my touch needs a software upgrade to accept full nav. or both. My dealer made an inquiry to Ford on upgrading to full navigation, and ford's response is "if the vehicle did not come with full navigation from the factory it can not be upgraded to full navigation." I don't get it since the car already uses gps after one downloads the directions from sync services. I live in a rural area and my experiences with syncnavigation is good and bad. When sync is downloading directions and the call gets drop because of poor cell reception and I try again and the system tries to download again and it may get it dowloaded and it may not because of cell reception. When directions do get downloaded the system does work very well. I feel that if I had full navigation getting directions wouldn't be a problem.

If it makes you feel any better, the full Nav isn't all that.

I still find myself whipping out the phone (MT4G CM7) and using the Google Maps Navigation. I just turn on the Bluetooth and have the directions pipe over the speakers.

It's just like the cable companies. I can't get some channels because I don't pay for them. It's not hardware that blocks them, it's software. If you pay for the software, you get the features. Ford just hasn't found a way yet to properly get paid for adding full navigation after the fact. The Sync directions system and the full navigation system are really two totally separate things, though they do use the same GPS. GPS has been a part of Sync since 2010MY though, it's part of the 911 assist feature.

• 1 year later...