Rolling in Park

Bryce

Ours seems to roll a few inches when parked on an incline (up or down). Seems a little bit more noticeable than other automatics that we've owned. It's not a major issue with me (more of an annoyance) since I always put the parking brake on anyhow. I'll have the dealer look at it when I get it serviced, but I was wondering if anyone else was having similar issues?

Bryce

IF you dont use the parking brake, then it will roll a little, just like every other automatic i have driven (probably 100 different cars), however when you put the parking brake on it doesnt move. The movement in park allows the mechanism to lock up, the parking brake just applies the brakes, hence less movement. I never park without the hand/emergency/foot/parking brake as i hate that knock noise and feeling most autos give when you try to disengage park and shift into a gear, cant imagine if that is doing some damage somewhere, but most people do it regardless.

IF you dont use the parking brake, then it will roll a little, just like every other automatic i have driven (probably 100 different cars), however when you put the parking brake on it doesnt move. The movement in park allows the mechanism to lock up, the parking brake just applies the brakes, hence less movement. I never park without the hand/emergency/foot/parking brake as i hate that knock noise and feeling most autos give when you try to disengage park and shift into a gear, cant imagine if that is doing some damage somewhere, but most people do it regardless.

Ditto

yes, all of my other auto matics will move a bit (maybe an inch or so), but this one actually moved enough to have a door hit someone getting out when it happened. it did stop without the parking brake being applied. I normally put my parking brake on, as I drove mostly maunal transmission vehicles until my last 2 before the edge... I wasn't driving this time, it was my wife, and she doesn't always put ont eh parking brake.

It just seemed to move more than my F-250 or my Bronco II would in the same situation.

I will get the dealer to check it out and at least document it when we have them look at some other stuff at the next service.

Bryce

I noticed it too, while moving the car back a little in the garage and trying to get it positioned in a particular spot. It's got a lot more 'play' in it than my other cars, that's for sure.

I cannot agree with a lot of the "complaints", but this I will agree with. It does seem to move more than it should. I almost never used my parking brake in my Expedition, but I feel that I NEED to use it with my Edge. Not a big deal, just need to adjust for it.

I have the same proble. I have to use the Foot Break all the time when I park. None of my old cars did this.

You broke your foot?!?! How awful!

Seriously, you should always use the parking brake. It takes the pressure off the parking pawl and it's a good idea from a safety standpoint.

Had our Edge in the shop for a few things today, and they said it was normal... maybe for this vehicle, but no others that I've owned (including my current 2 other Fords). Guess we'll just have to get used to it. Since this transmission was a joint venture with GM and Ford, I'll just assume that GM made the Park mechinism!!!

Bryce

• 9 months later...
Had our Edge in the shop for a few things today, and they said it was normal... maybe for this vehicle, but no others that I've owned (including my current 2 other Fords). Guess we'll just have to get used to it. Since this transmission was a joint venture with GM and Ford, I'll just assume that GM made the Park mechinism!!!

Bryce

I have the same problem. I have had many auto transmissions and never had one that moved so much after putting it into Park.

I cannot agree with a lot of the "complaints", but this I will agree with. It does seem to move more than it should. I almost never used my parking brake in my Expedition, but I feel that I NEED to use it with my Edge. Not a big deal, just need to adjust for it.

My wifes will roll several inches, I brought this up in January, it's an 07 SEL+. Took to dealer said it's normal, Quote me there will be a recall once they find a fix. If your on a steep grade and put it in park, it could kick out and keep rolling. Has to be because of new six speed, I have had them all, and a CVT, this is not normal. P.s. Don't forget to turn your OD on when going over 55, if you go 10+ miles you will find a puddle under the drivers side due to fluid blowing through tranny vent...... Other than that it's a fantastic vehicle.

For those that keep asking their dealers about the rollback, there is nothing they can do as it is a design issue. (Note issue not a flaw.)

As you can see in the animated gif, the red parking pawl drops into a notch when placed in park.

sandia-gearshift-movie.gif

The Edge has less notches, which means it moves father before the pawl engages a notch.

Which makes for a stronger system, but causes a little more rolling.

As akirby has stated the parking brake should always be set when parking.

And to correctly do this is very simple.

1. Come to a complete stop.

2. While still holding foot brake, apply parking brake.

3. Remove foot from foot brake and allow parking brake to hold weight of vehicle.

4. Place shifter into park.

5. Remove seatbelt.

6. Open door, and exit vehicle.

I hope this clears things up for some of you.

Edited by AK-Kayaker

For those that keep asking their dealers about the rollback, there is nothing they can do as it is a design issue. (Note issue not a flaw.)

As you can see in the animated gif, the red parking pawl drops into a notch when placed in park.

sandia-gearshift-movie.gif

The Edge has less notches, which means it moves father before the pawl engages a notch.

Which makes for a stronger system, but causes a little more rolling.

As akirby has stated the parking brake should always be set when parking.

And to correctly do this is very simple.

1. Come to a complete stop.

2. While still holding foot brake, apply parking brake.

3. Remove foot from foot brake and allow parking brake to hold weight of vehicle.

4. Place shifter into park.

5. Remove seatbelt.

6. Open door, and exit vehicle.

I hope this clears things up for some of you.

Great illustration, so many people say a flash fixes the problem, no way, this is mechanicle. Great INFO......

The TSB reflash worked for my 08's rollback in drive. Did the rollback before , now there is no hint of one. But we are talking about something different correct? Park vs. drive. Oval

Yes - 2 different things. Rollback while in Drive on a hill is supposedly fixed (or improved) by the reflash. This complaint is that after you put the vehicle in park it rolls more than normal.

• 1 month later...
Great illustration, so many people say a flash fixes the problem, no way, this is mechanicle. Great INFO......

This is exactly correct. Please note GM designed the park mechanism. So the Acadia, Outlook, Aura, Malibu have the same "concern".

kalu, there won't be a recall for this. We have been building these transmissions for over 2 years now. There are government regulations regarding how much the car can roll when put into park and GM/Ford wouldn't violate this. I don't know what the spec is, but I am sure this transmission meets it. There are a lot less teeth on this park gear than the Focus transmission, but it is really beefy. Also, when you engage park, the rod presses against an actuator resulting in the rod pressing against the pawl directly in this transmission. It will find its way into the next cog.

• 4 weeks later...
Ours seems to roll a few inches when parked on an incline (up or down). Seems a little bit more noticeable than other automatics that we've owned. It's not a major issue with me (more of an annoyance) since I always put the parking brake on anyhow. I'll have the dealer look at it when I get it serviced, but I was wondering if anyone else was having similar issues?

Bryce

I have had concerns about how much the vehicle rolls when going into park, but it appears that is the "nature of the beast". I have a more serious problem now, the vehicle is stuck in my driveway with the gear shift lever in park, but it won't stay in place at all. I turned the key off and tried to restart it, but it won't start now and won't come out of park and the vehicle rolls when I take off the parking brake. Has anyone had this happen to them? How did they fix it? My husband wants to see if he can fix it tomorrow so it doesn't have to be towed.

I have had concerns about how much the vehicle rolls when going into park, but it appears that is the "nature of the beast". I have a more serious problem now, the vehicle is stuck in my driveway with the gear shift lever in park, but it won't stay in place at all. I turned the key off and tried to restart it, but it won't start now and won't come out of park and the vehicle rolls when I take off the parking brake. Has anyone had this happen to them? How did they fix it? My husband wants to see if he can fix it tomorrow so it doesn't have to be towed.

Hi Myfudge. :D Check your Owners Manual for the instructions on how to release the "Brake Shift Interlock". There is an emergency release under a small plastic access cover, just above and to the right of the shifter handle. Look in the Index under "Brakes", then "shift interlock". In the '08 Manual, the instructions are on page 242. Here is the text from the Manual (there is also a helpful picture in the Manual):

Brake-shift interlock

This vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature that prevents the gearshift lever from being moved from P (Park) when the ignition is in the RUN position unless brake pedal is depressed. If you cannot move the gearshift lever out of P (Park) with ignition in the RUN position and the brake pedal depressed:

1. Apply the parking brake, turn

ignition key to LOCK, then remove

the key.

2. Using a screwdriver (or similar

tool), remove the protective cover

to the interlock release access hole

on the console.

3. Insert the screwdriver (or similar

tool) into the access hole and press

downward while pulling the

gearshift lever out of the P (Park)

position and into the N (Neutral)

position.

4. Remove the tool and reinstall the

protective cover.

5. Start the vehicle and release the

parking brake.

If it is necessary to use the above procedure to move the gearshift lever,

it is possible that a fuse has blown or the vehicle’s brakelamps are not

operating properly. Refer to Fuses and relays in the Roadside

Emergencies chapter.

Do not drive your vehicle until you verify that the brakelamps

are working.

This may help you get it out of Park. Unfortunately, I don't know if it will help with the larger problems of it not starting and the seeming shifter disconnect. You will need to check your brake-lamps and fuses.

In addition, if you are still within the original "Bumper to Bumper Warranty" period (3 years/36,000 miles), you have free roadside assistance. Call the Ford Roadside Assistance" phone number listed on the cards you were supplied when you purchased your Edge, and in your Owners Manual. At the very least, it will be towed to your Ford Dealer at no charge to you.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

MyFudge, please let us know what you find out the issue to be. I hope being a week later now that you already called roadside assistance. It sounds like even though the lever is in part, the transmission isn't physically in park hence you can't start the car and it won't stay in place.