Sport Vs Limited

tmuenster

My current car is a 2007 VW Touareg V10 TDI. It has 130,000 miles and I am ready for something new. The Ford Edge has caught my eye and I am debating between which AWD model to get- Sport or Limited? Obviously, this is the Sport section so I am looking for why owners of the Sport picked it and what they like about it.

Also, can you get a tow package on the Sport version of the Edge? I have not seen one with a hitch.

Thanks,

Tom

Yes you can get the tow package with the sport. As far as why I chose the sport , the body panels,22" wheels and the two tone black and grey leather interior. Not to mention stiffer suspension and more horsepower. The limited has a different look, kinda more luxuery look with it's 20" chrome wheels and fake wood interior, softer ride etc..... GL

Go to the Ford website, click on models and do a compare of the Limited and Sport models. There are several mutually exclusive options that you can't get on both models. e.g. no HIDs on the Sport.

Thanks. I have looked at Ford's site and done the comparison of the two models. I am looking for more advice from people that have the Sport edition and may have considered the Limited. Is the extra HP really worth it? Does the Sport's stiff handling make it less comfortable for long highway trips? Is the Interior of the Sport worth the extra cash since the LTD is also very nice? Do the Sport's wheel look dirty all the time since they are black? I don't want to have my next ride lookoing bad if I can't clean the wheels everyday.

Basically, my head is telling me that I need the LTD. Good ride quality trumps everything else. I will put long hours in the car for work travel lots of highway miles. However, my heart says the upgrade of the Sport will make it more fun to drive when I get to where I am going. I love the idea of have a "speical edition" car and standing out from the other Edge owners.

Thanks,

Tom

One other point, it appears the Sport does not come with the Vista roof option. Is that correct? I am looking at the comparison between the Sport and LTD on Ford's website.

The Vista Roof is a $1,600 option on the Sport. I have it on mine.

I fought back and forth long and hard between a Sport and LTD. Basically the main reason I choose the Sport is because of its looks. If you put a Sport and a LTD next to each other there definetly is a big difference. The Sport looks a lot meaner and very Sporty. The LTD is more like a luxury looking like the Lincoln. The Sport will make people turn their heads and look at your car. Espicially with the big rims. I like on the Sport that the moldings are the same color of the car. It looks a lot cleaner and nicer.

The wheels dont look dirty at all. yes you have to keep them clean to keep that nice shiny look on them.

If you take a fully loaded LTD vs. fully loaded Sport the difference is not that much at all. Maybe $1k.

Here are some pics of my car. Let me know if you have any other questions.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/mark52479/2011%20Ford%20Edge%20Sport/

I love the Sport. I really didnt even consider the Limited since my 2008 was a Limited and I wanted the painted lower body moldings. I think the painted versus the black plastic really finishes off the look. The 22" wheels are attention grabbers for sure, but surprisingly the ride is not harsh at all. If you get the chance, drive both and you will see. I like the paddle shifters (fun but not often used...yet) I missed the HID upgrade but bought a set of HIDs from DDMtuning and installed and aimed my lights correctly, so for $45 dollars I got that option. The Variable cruise control would be nice, but given the choice to give that up or the painted lowers, it was a no brainer. The wheels have stayed pretty nice through a horrible North eastern winter so that shouldnt be too much an issue for you. With a wash once a week or at least every two, your Edge will look great. I wouldnt trade my Sport, but Im sure there are Limited owners that feel the same way.

I was considering the limited as well when I was looking at the sport. Listen to "Spridell" when you see the sport parked beside the limited....it is way to hard to pass up the sport in the looks category.

The 22's make the truck look like a beast!

I really enjoy the paddle shifters from time to time as it makes it a little more fun to drive. I can say that the ride is very smooth and I have no complaints on the stiffness. The main difference is the looks and cost. As much as I love the look of the wheels, keep in mind that if will not be cheap to replace those tires.

All in all I did not want any regrets cause I knew that if I got the limited and if I was driving one day and saw the sport driving by I would be disappointed that I did not get the sport cause for me the looks make it.

So I got the sport and have been very happy since!

The Vista Roof is a $1,600 option on the Sport. I have it on mine.

I fought back and forth long and hard between a Sport and LTD. Basically the main reason I choose the Sport is because of its looks. If you put a Sport and a LTD next to each other there definetly is a big difference. The Sport looks a lot meaner and very Sporty. The LTD is more like a luxury looking like the Lincoln. The Sport will make people turn their heads and look at your car. Espicially with the big rims. I like on the Sport that the moldings are the same color of the car. It looks a lot cleaner and nicer.

The wheels dont look dirty at all. yes you have to keep them clean to keep that nice shiny look on them.

If you take a fully loaded LTD vs. fully loaded Sport the difference is not that much at all. Maybe $1k.

Here are some pics of my car. Let me know if you have any other questions.

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j1/mark52479/2011%20Ford%20Edge%20Sport/

Thanks for sending the link to your pics and your post. That is good information and you have a great looking Sport. I intend to to get a white Edge either way.

One man's trash as they say.

I think the sport is fugly, those huge wheels with no sidewalls and black filler, yuk. Then when you have to replace those tires, how much are those 22's going to cost you?

That black grill, ewww, give me chrome.

I went limited, a much classier beast in my opinion.

That's not to say I'm right and sport owners are wrong, it's just what I like and fits my personality type.

My motorcycle is a cruiser with big retro fenders and lots of chrome, not a blacked out sport model with skin tight fenders.

• Like 1

One man's trash as they say.

I think the sport is fugly, those huge wheels with no sidewalls and black filler, yuk. Then when you have to replace those tires, how much are those 22's going to cost you?

That black grill, ewww, give me chrome.

I went limited, a much classier beast in my opinion.

That's not to say I'm right and sport owners are wrong, it's just what I like and fits my personality type.

My motorcycle is a cruiser with big retro fenders and lots of chrome, not a blacked out sport model with skin tight fenders.

I do prefer the Sienna interior over the Sport's black and grey seats. However, the Sport's body molding is very nice and reminds me a bit of my Touareg.

All good responses here, I would think coming from a Tuareg, you'd be happier in the sport. As far as ride,i kid you not,my sport rides smoother with it's 22's than the Lexus gs 300 it replaced. And another thing, everyday after work I go to the gym and always park in the same place, so happens so does another guy with his white edge sel? model,and I swear they look like different vehicles, My sport really stands out when compared to the base unit, hope this helps Sport Model FTW!!! And definitely get the vista roof!!

All good responses here, I would think coming from a Tuareg, you'd be happier in the sport. As far as ride,i kid you not,my sport rides smoother with it's 22's than the Lexus gs 300 it replaced. And another thing, everyday after work I go to the gym and always park in the same place, so happens so does another guy with his white edge sel? model,and I swear they look like different vehicles, My sport really stands out when compared to the base unit, hope this helps Sport Model FTW!!! And definitely get the vista roof!!

Yes definetly. When you put the two models side by side they do looking like different cars.

FYI on the wheels: The pricer per wheel is about $1,500. Very very expensive rim. If you live where there are potholes think about getting the tire protection plan. Well worth it as it covers pretty much everything from nail in the tires to bent rims.

Yes you can get the tow package with the sport. As far as why I chose the sport , the body panels,22" wheels and the two tone black and grey leather interior. Not to mention stiffer suspension and more horsepower. The limited has a different look, kinda more luxuery look with it's 20" chrome wheels and fake wood interior, softer ride etc..... GL

Where do you find the tow package is available for the Sport? I cannot find it online or in the brochure.

That is one of the main reasons I went with the Limited. There are also other items like HID lights that are not available. Fuel mileage is also not as good. The 3.5 has plenty of power.

Where do you find the tow package is available for the Sport? I cannot find it online or in the brochure.

That is one of the main reasons I went with the Limited. There are also other items like HID lights that are not available. Fuel mileage is also not as good. The 3.5 has plenty of power.

Hi curlysir. :D Unless something has very recently changed, the tow package is not available from Ford for the Edge Sport, neither in factory trim or Ford Genuine Accessory form.

Of course, that does not stop third party tow packages from being added, but they are not Ford authorized for the Sport model.

If I find information to the contrary, I will post back. And if someone believes they have information otherwise, hopefully they will post back with a link to that information.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi curlysir. :D Unless something has very recently changed, the tow package is not available from Ford for the Edge Sport, neither in factory trim or Ford Genuine Accessory form.

Of course, that does not stop third party tow packages from being added, but they are not Ford authorized for the Sport model.

If I find information to the contrary, I will post back. And if someone believes they have information otherwise, hopefully they will post back with a link to that information.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Your results about the the tow package are exactly what I found. I think the reason is the 22" wheels and tires, I don't think they have the load rating required for towing.

I test drove both the Limited and the Sport, just to be sure that I really wanted the Sport. I was attracted to it because of the styling, the extra horsepower and the 22" wheels, as many others here have commented. I picked up my Sport on 1/26/11.

To be honest with you, I don't feel a "stiffer ride" from the Sport compared to the Limited. It is still very comfortable to me and I like the pick up when I need to pull into traffic.

I love the Vista roof and use it quite frequently living in FL.

I've had absolutely no problems or issues with my vehicle. The My Touch works just fine and I haven't experienced any problems with sluggishness or reboots or anything.

Regardless of which model you choose, I don't think you'll go wrong with an Edge! Good luck with your decision.

We went with the Sport because it just excites. The LTD is a nice, nice vehicle but it didn't give me the chills when I saw it. My wife liked the color matched side rocker panels and I love the rims. I'm not a huge rim guy but those just look right IMO. I also did not care for the wood trim look inserts on the interior of the LTD. If the Sport had HIDs and Homelink it'd be perfect. (Though the lights aren't bad. I do miss the homelink option though)

As for the tire replacements, there are several, and actually Yokohama makes a great, relatively low cost replacement for the Perelli's. The ride is a little rougher than the LTDs but better than the 07 SEL we came out of. It goes great in the winter even with those beasty rims and tires. The power is a slightly more noticeable but not through you back into the trunk noticeable. For us, we tend to be a little more sporty than luxury and the Sport offered that vs a little more luxury with a smaller amount of sport in the LTD.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I have looked at Ford's site and done the comparison of the two models. I am looking for more advice from people that have the Sport edition and may have considered the Limited. Is the extra HP really worth it? Does the Sport's stiff handling make it less comfortable for long highway trips? Is the Interior of the Sport worth the extra cash since the LTD is also very nice? Do the Sport's wheel look dirty all the time since they are black? I don't want to have my next ride lookoing bad if I can't clean the wheels everyday.

Basically, my head is telling me that I need the LTD. Good ride quality trumps everything else. I will put long hours in the car for work travel lots of highway miles. However, my heart says the upgrade of the Sport will make it more fun to drive when I get to where I am going. I love the idea of have a "speical edition" car and standing out from the other Edge owners.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by Duckman

Thanks,

Tom

Tom:

My advice--Get the LTD. I have a 2010 Sport FWD. Here are my pros/cons.

Pros:

Looks cool.

Handles well.

Makes you feel "special" or 'elite'.

Cons:

1. With the stiff suspension and low profile 22" tires-the ride is anything but 'nice'. I can feel a buck mouse tird if I hit it in the road.

2. Fuel Mileage. The 22" wheels cost you! Fuel mileage about 1 1/2 to 2 MPG below Edges with 17" wheels. (Rotational inertia and cross-sectional area)

Please read this article...

Wheel Diameter vs Fuel Economy and Performance

3. Performance. My 2010 Edge Sport is a DOG. Once again those big tires take energy to get rolling and to accelerate. (Energy in this situation is 87 octane fuel) The 17" or 18" wheeled Edges can run off and leave a 22" wheeled 2010 Sport Edge (I know, that has been Ops Tested) I think Ford realized this problem and has attempted to fix it with the 3.7Liter 300+ Horsepower engine for the 2011 Sports. That does me no good, but might help you..but at what expense..probably more of that 87 Octane I think. And I also think we are staring $4.00 a gallon gas in the face very soon. (See the forum on Edge fuel economy)

4. Tires. Those (at least my) Pirelli Pzero Scorpion 265-40-22s have a soft compound that do stick well to the pavement, but appear that they are only going to last about 50K. I'm pricing replacement rubber now...ouch! Wait till you get to do that!.

5. Seats. With the 2010 the soft leather insert (caroba leather or something like that) is like ultra-suede. Looks nice, but gets dirty fast and is wearing much faster than normal leather. ouch again. I believe Ford has realized this and discontinued those seats in the 2011 Sport models. Not sure.

SO...what is the price for looking cool and handling well? That's something only you can determine. Bottom line, the Edge series of crossover are good rigs and handle fine in SE/SEL or LTD edition. Its not a race car or performance vehicle by any stretch of the imagination. Thus, how important is handling?

I wish I had not paid the extra big $$ for the Sport edition, but that is me. You will enjoy either I'm sure. Good luck..

Edited by Duckman

• 3 weeks later...

I'm coming from a 2008 Edge LTD, and considering a 2011 Sport or LTD.

I'm leaning toward a Sport for the paddle shift options and I hate the chrome grill. Someone above said you can't get the homelink opener on the Sport. I can't find this info on the Ford website.

I also see you can't get the roof rails (I don't want a vista roof--I need the rails for snowboards). Does anyone know about this? I am sure I could get aftermarket rails of some kind I suppose.

Also, the Sport will probably win out in the longrun cause it just looks so awesome!

Thanks for any advice and/or help anyone can offer.