2011 SEL front end popping noise

hi just got a 2011 edge SEL 2 months ago.. has many quirks..one that is driving me nuts is this strange popping noise like popcorn in front esp right side.. of course dealer can't hear it ..anyone experience this noise ? thanks

really hard to tell without actually hearing it. when does it usually happen? while driving? while warming up? does it sounds like popping or bubbling?

• 3 weeks later...

really hard to tell without actually hearing it. when does it usually happen? while driving? while warming up? does it sounds like popping or bubbling?

sounds like bubbles popping . thats what the wife calls it..its def. a suspension area problem.. it is real loud going slow even on a smotth road..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I am a regional sales rep and log a lot of miles and just turned 49k this week just a week past my one year buy date of my 2010 Edge SEL. I bought my 2010 Edge used with only 17k miles and began noticing the problem at around 30m miles and took it to my nearby dealer at around 34k with an intermittent but significant vibration in steering, especially when moving forward or backwards at low speed - as in when I'm going into or backing out of a parking space. They at first couldn’t duplicate the issue until I drove it with two of their techs and they immediately noticed the issue with me at the wheel, contacted Ford and they had them replace the power steering pump. It was somewhat better but now is much worse and of course my warranty has expired. There reply after test driving another Edge is “it is a typical noise for the Edge.” My claim is this is bogus and there is definitely a bigger issue. I am now also having a noticeable popping noise from both shocks, especially when turning or going over bumps while turning at speeds under 20mph and will be asking for help within the forum on this today. This is NOT a loose panel issue as it definitely coming from within the front suspension area and continues to get worse. I have had my nearby Midas twice for service and had them check the issue and they could find nothing loose or showing excessive wear. I did find on another web posting elsewhere that someone else had same issue no 2008 and "tightened the nuts at the top of the shock tower" and fixed the issue and I will be checking this today.

Ours has been making a clunk when making a left turn from a stop sign.

A few k miles ago it was intermittent, then a little more often now almost every time.

Now we’re getting an intermittent clunk turning right from a stop.

I figure we’re due for new constant-velocity joints.

ab

• 1 month later...

AllieEdge5, My wife's 07 Edge SEL is doing the same thing as yours (the loud POP noise coming from the shock towers). Did the tightening of the tower bolts fix it? And did you just tighten the four bolts on top or the actual nut for the strut? The four up top look pretty easy and accessable, but the strut nut looks like it'll be a real pain!!! I just had it in at the dealer for new tires, oil change, and state inspection. Of course during the inspection they found the front lower ball joints on both sides were shot and I didn't have time to mess with them so I had them replace the ball joints too. I also had them do an alignment because of the new tires and ball joint replacement. It was fine for 4 days and then my wife came home and had me go out and back her car out of the driveway. There is a dip at he end of the driveway and if I turned while exiting the driveway it made the noise. If I drove straight in, no noise. I also read on another post it could be the chrome plastic wheel covers (which are on my wife's car) I'm not looking forward to taking it to the dealer, but since there is a TSB on the wheel covers and that might be the issue I'll have to do it. I'll try the tightening of the shock tower nuts first. Thanks for listening!!

Ok, tightening the shock tower nuts (which were tight anyway) didn't fix. It is now at the dealer. Hopefully they can find something!! They already replaced the lower control arm and it's bushing previously, so they can't blame it on that. i thought that MAYBE whenever dude changed the control arm he didn't get the spring seated. Looked like they were seated to me, but I couldn't really see the top. I will continue to keep yoou guys posted.

We got the Edge back from the dealer the same day (Wed July 3rd). The service tech and one of the counter people took it out and confirmed that they DID hear the popping sound. They put it on the lift and couldn't find anything that would make the noise. When we got there to pick up a loaner, the service manager wanted to take a test drive with me and the service counter person. Well, wouldn't you know it, the vehicle DID NOT make the noise!!! I tried EVERYTHING to get it to make the noise. SO, the service manager and I came to the conclusion that while the tech was prying and pulling he put either the strut spring or stabilizer bar links back in place. So far, so good. My wife drove to work (40 mile round trip) yesterday and today with no noise. She also said the steering felt tighter than when it was making the noise. Hopefully it stays noise free!!

• 1 year later...

I have the 2011 Edge SEL with 47K miles and just started having a noise when turning the wheel while stopped or moving slowly. I jacked up the car and removed the front tires and with no weight on the suspension the noise was still there but not as loud. I had a friend turn the wheel back and forth as I checked the front end. The noise was coming from the spring! It appears that the top of the spring is moving in the mount. Grabbing the spring and pulling, I could detect movement.

Anybody have any ideas on fixing this or are having the same problem?

Strut bearing mounts. Replace them and I am willing to bet the noise goes away. Been through this already and replace the bearing mounts. You wil not find anything really loose but will hear the popping. I replaced my entire front suspension with MOOG parts and they are great!!

I have the same popping noise coming from the right side. I raised the vehicle, removed the tire/wheel and had a friend move the steering wheel back and forth. The noise is from the upper spring mount and seat. I went to the dealer today and the wanted me to leave the car for a couple of days to disassemble and inspect the spring mount and order parts to repair. Parts and labor $363, if strut assembly and mount were needed. $240 if mount only, (out of warranty) . I'll get a new mount from Rock Auto for $30 and do it myself.

• 1 year later...

have to say this is turning out to be a bigger deal for ford edge. I purchased a
2010 edge 7 months ago, just recently started hearing the same issues with a rattling
noise. not a big deal until a few days ago it started getting louder and I also had the
clunking noise whenever i went over speed bumps. your normal wear and tear I
though. it actually is the top strut support that's part of the metal
frame of the car. the welding points are separating from the frame. that is the rattling
noise you get initially, and it grows. hard to tell when is minor and the car is just not
moving. you can actually see the problem now in my ford edge, my welding points in the
frame have separated. I just started complaining to ford and so
far no one has taking responsibility. if more people are getting the same problem in their
ford edge, you should ask to check the welding points holding the metal that support the struts.
you will only be able to see it if pressure is put on the strut. at least until it completely
separates and bends like my situation.

• 5 years later...

2013 Ford Edge, clunking/popping in right strut when turning both left and right. Is the strut spring supposed to rotate at the top as the steering wheel is turned? If it is supposed to rotate, then it is catching at certain points and then popping loose. If it is not supposed to rotate, then something is loose allowing it to rotate. The clunking/popping still occurs even with both front wheels off the ground. I haven't taken anything apart yet. Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 6:36 PM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Usually caused by worn strut mounts on the Edge.  Still original suspension?

Yes, I believe so. We bought it used in 2016. I did find the problem. It was the right strut mount. The right strut spring would vibrate when the clunk occurred and the left one wouldn't. I replace the right strut mount, problem solved. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2014 at 11:25 AM, blkmesamtman said:

I have the 2011 Edge SEL with 47K miles and just started having a noise when turning the wheel while stopped or moving slowly. I jacked up the car and removed the front tires and with no weight on the suspension the noise was still there but not as loud. I had a friend turn the wheel back and forth as I checked the front end. The noise was coming from the spring! It appears that the top of the spring is moving in the mount. Grabbing the spring and pulling, I could detect movement.

Anybody have any ideas on fixing this or are having the same problem?

The spring is supposed to turn with the wheel. When the strut mount is bad, it will catch and then let go. When it lets go my spring will vibrate (right side). The spring on the left side doesn't vibrae. I replaced the right strut mount, problem solved.

• Like 2