Edge Reliability

JackW

I think that mechanically, the 2011 is pretty reliable. I've had my AWD Limited Edge for 4 weeks (2500 miles) with 0 mechanical issues other than a slight pull to the right.. The MyTouch system is another story. It's laggy, has been crashing and rebooting one or two times a week for the past 2 weeks. I think that plugging a USB device (at least my iPhone 4) has the potential of crashing or bringing the system to a grinding halt when it reindexes the device. However, I've had it reboot randomly. Also, the navigation system is not very good at all. It looks great, but the interface is very laggy and I've found that it's about 2 - 3 seconds slow. This may not be a big deal with going down a highway, but using it to navigate through city streets (or any route that requires quick turns) can be a challenge.

The MyTouch system has the potential to be revolutionary, but it's half baked (even after multiple updates) I think that, eventually, it will stabilize but it will always be a little slow

My 2011 Edge Limited is doing well at 6000 miles. Did have the have the My Touch software update, but it went well and is working great now!! Mechanically, the engine has a noticable "tick" on cold start up. My dealer kept it overnight and noticed it upon cold start as well. Ford is aware of the issue and is still investigating if it is serious or not. He has me on record so I will be covered if something should happen. Great vehicle though - great power, looks, and excellent electronics (after the reflash).

I've 2011 Edge FWD limited, no issues mechanically, but do have issues with MyFordTouch, it resets itself when it feels like and they do not have a solution for it. As far as engine ticking all new vehicles with VVTI make that noise when its little cooler outside and it is only till it warms up, nothing to worry about.

I have mine since last November. ( SEL AWD Edge) Here is my impression. To note I live in an area with cold winters.:

Good: overall comfort seating, interior and ride. This is a nice car to drive and runs smoothly. Good acceleration. Quiet. You will enjoy driving the vehicle.

Bad: sync and nav system. This is a far inferior nav system to even a cheap GPS. Very disappointing. Sync only partly works, there are many flaws. Gas milage in cold weather is poor. I used to get better milage with my turbo deisel 2500 truck!. Ride is also very stiff in cold weather. Transmission downshift is eratic and seems to go briefly into neutral off the line, so you need to accelerate with caution from a stop. I will have to get this fixed.

Overall: i would wait till next year. there will be a new engine and maybe the electronics will be fixed. If you need to buy now, I hate to say it, but I would pass for something else. Ford just callled me to say that there is still problems with the sofware fix for the Sync which is really hard to believe. Also, I have also had several serious and minor service issues on this purchase, maybe the local dealer is the problem, but maybe something to do with the dealer network. I have bought a number of new vehicles over the last 10 years and this is the worst experience so far and not getting any better. My hope is that the sync issues will eventually be fixed. Should not be rocket science, but seems beyond the capability of Ford for the moment.

I've had a 2011 Edge limited AWD with all the options except rear DVD for about two weeks so maybe not enough time to give you the most accurate assessment.

However, all is well with nothing really to complain about so a couple of +/- points I can give are;

Very poorly designed cargo cover, cheap and nasty maybe a better description

Silly place to locate the 4-way emergency flashers

MFT isn't as good as I was hoping, beginning to wish for the "switch system" on my Acadia

Navigation I think is acceptable although there have been a couple of times I had to repeat myself

Engine is more than adequate, zippy in fact

The dealer looks like the worst issue I can see, in comparison to GM, Ford have work to do in this area

Overall I'm satisfied with this vehicle and do find it a pleasure to drive, looks great on the road (one of the best) and of course is built in North America

I did test drive examples from Honda (v.good) GM (ok) Chrysler (ok) and Toyota (v.disappointed)

If it helps, so far i'm pleased with my choice

:happy feet:

Purchased in October,2010. No mechanical problems. Did have to have radio antenna module replaced. MFT has worked fine except for the dealer screwing up the upgrade and taking 2 weeks to get it fixed and the date not being correct. The Ford Touch (MFT) does appear to be weak link in the reliability of the Edge. Would I buy it again? Yes, but might go with the Lincoln MKX for some of the extra features it has over the Edge.

Edited by curlysir

Purchased in October,2010. No mechanical problems. Did have to have radio antenna replaced. MFT has worked fine except for the dealer screwing up the upgrade and taking 2 weeks to get it fixed and the date not being correct. The Ford Touch (MFT) does appear to be weak link in the reliability of the Edge. Would I buy it again? Yes, but might go with the Lincoln MKX for some of the extra features it has over the Edge.

Whatwas the reason for the radio antenna replqacement? My wife's 09 MKs has started to give poor FM reception. It is very fuzzy, as if you were not tuned in properly. Was fine until a week or two ago.

Joe

Edited by JOEHIO

Whatwas the reason for the radio antenna replqacement? My wife's 09 MKs has started to give poor FM reception. It is very fuzzy, as if you were not tuned in properly. Was fine until a week or two ago.

Joe

On mine the AM reception just suddenly quit while driving on the highway, could not pick up any AM station farther then 10 miles away. FM reception was not affected as bad but was better after the antenna module was replaced. Dealer should be able to check the strength of your signal.

Edit: To add module to antenna as it was actually the module in the overhead console that they replaced not the external antenna.

Edited by curlysir

On mine the AM reception just suddenly quit while driving on the highway, could not pick up any AM station farther then 10 miles away. FM reception was not affected as bad but was better after the antenna module was replaced. Dealer should be able to check the strength of your signal.

Edit: To add module to antenna as it was actually the module in the overhead console that they replaced not the external antenna.

Has anyone noticed that in the latest TV commercial the antenna is similar to the BMW "bump" not the 12" long stick we all seem to have?

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CEsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvoI59XKbqmM&ei=mv6FTervMY-isAPIw6zpAQ&usg=AFQjCNHv05VUEB9MIjquEY141Y-bb1_AvQ

Has anyone noticed that in the latest TV commercial the antenna is similar to the BMW "bump" not the 12" long stick we all seem to have?

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=video&cd=1&ved=0CEsQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvoI59XKbqmM&ei=mv6FTervMY-isAPIw6zpAQ&usg=AFQjCNHv05VUEB9MIjquEY141Y-bb1_AvQ

To me it just looks like they have temporarily removed the antenna shaft for the commercial.

Edited by curlysir