Edge - not impressed

margie

I have a 2010 Edge that is just one year old. I have been a Ford owner since my first - 1966 Mustang. This is the first time I can say I am disappointed - ALMOST regret my purchase. It is the little things. For the price of the car: the driver's seat squeaks ( the dealer put WD40 - is that a solution ) it only happens if you buckle the seat belt ??? The navagation system (actually all of Sync) cannot understand me - I have to repeat directions or requests until I am blue in the face and give up. I speak perfect English - Boston accent - ??? The brakes grind whenever it is damp out. Dealer says this is NORMAL - oxidation - once I apply the brakes a few times no more grinding. NEVER has any other car I have owed done this?? Not as quiet a ride as one would expect in a new car. Maybe I am being picky but for the price I expected more....Any one have any input --please...

I have a 2010 Edge that is just one year old. I have been a Ford owner since my first - 1966 Mustang. This is the first time I can say I am disappointed - ALMOST regret my purchase. It is the little things. For the price of the car: the driver's seat squeaks ( the dealer put WD40 - is that a solution ) it only happens if you buckle the seat belt ??? The navagation system (actually all of Sync) cannot understand me - I have to repeat directions or requests until I am blue in the face and give up. I speak perfect English - Boston accent - ??? The brakes grind whenever it is damp out. Dealer says this is NORMAL - oxidation - once I apply the brakes a few times no more grinding. NEVER has any other car I have owed done this?? Not as quiet a ride as one would expect in a new car. Maybe I am being picky but for the price I expected more....Any one have any input --please...

you being picky ...best ride i owed ..(09 awd ltd), all the things you mentioned are normal, you could program sync to your voice to solve that one ......

the driver's seat squeaks ( the dealer put WD40 - is that a solution ) it only happens if you buckle the seat belt ??? If it works, it's a solution... oh wait seriously, only when you buckle it??? You sure it doesn't constantly squeak as you ride down the road? If so, then I would understand this rant...

Ā 

The navagation system (actually all of Sync) cannot understand me - I have to repeat directions or requests until I am blue in the face and give up. I speak perfect English - Boston accent - ??? It helps to inhale occasionally, prevents the face from turning blue. You sure it's not a Bwaston accent? that could be the issue...

Ā 

The brakes grind whenever it is damp out. Dealer says this is NORMAL - oxidation - once I apply the brakes a few times no more grinding. NEVER has any other car I have owed done this?? Yep, that is normal, mine does the same

Ā 

Not as quiet a ride as one would expect in a new car. I turn the radio down when I want a quiet ride.

Ā 

Maybe I am being picky but for the price I expected more....Any one have any input --please... Yep, I'd say your being picky

Ā 

And remember, you asked for input...

Thanks for your time - you are very funny and I truly appreciate sarcasm (my favorite kind of humor)- you made me laugh and that is always a good thing. But you did not have any thing helpful to add. WD40 wears off, it is the law to buckle up in MA, I turn UP the radio to drown out the other noises. Turn blue - hahaha. I am still not buying grinding brakes as normal --- sorry this is the first one many cars I have owned and NEVER heard it before. Glad you love your Edge, wish I loved mine. Thanks again for your input

the driver's seat squeaks ( the dealer put WD40 - is that a solution ) it only happens if you buckle the seat belt ??? If it works, it's a solution... oh wait seriously, only when you buckle it??? You sure it doesn't constantly squeak as you ride down the road? If so, then I would understand this rant...

Ā 

The navagation system (actually all of Sync) cannot understand me - I have to repeat directions or requests until I am blue in the face and give up. I speak perfect English - Boston accent - ??? It helps to inhale occasionally, prevents the face from turning blue. You sure it's not a Bwaston accent? that could be the issue...

Ā 

The brakes grind whenever it is damp out. Dealer says this is NORMAL - oxidation - once I apply the brakes a few times no more grinding. NEVER has any other car I have owed done this?? Yep, that is normal, mine does the same

Ā 

Not as quiet a ride as one would expect in a new car. I turn the radio down when I want a quiet ride.

Ā 

Maybe I am being picky but for the price I expected more....Any one have any input --please... Yep, I'd say your being picky

Ā 

And remember, you asked for input...

Thanks for your time - you are very funny and I truly appreciate sarcasm (my favorite kind of humor)- you made me laugh and that is always a good thing. But you did not have any thing helpful to add. WD40 wears off, it is the law to buckle up in MA, I turn UP the radio to drown out the other noises. Turn blue - hahaha. I am still not buying grinding brakes as normal --- sorry this is the first one many cars I have owned and NEVER heard it before. Glad you love your Edge, wish I loved mine. Thanks again for your input

I'm glad you saw the humor and didn't take offense to it. However I thought I was being helpful as well.

Ā 

Yes the WD40 will wear off so you reapply; temporary solution, maybe, but the oil in your engine wears out so I hope you change it regularly too; so I guess an oil change is just a temporary solution to prevent the engine from siezing.

Ā 

As for road noise, the only time it really bothers me is when I can hear the tires humming. Wind noise is unavoidable in my opinion and varys based on the vehicle's aerodynamics.

Ā 

The brake grinding is normal and I believe there is a thread on here somewhere that many experienced the same. Yes mine does it too but only that first time for just a few seconds when cold; not that big a deal to me, but that's just me.

Ā 

I really hate that you're having these issues because as you can see so many of us either don't or maybe just aren't as sensitive tosome of the minor issues (or at least what we consider minor...)

Ā 

Oh, and I don't have navigation so that issue I can't truly be helpful with...

Edited by carbonedge+

It's really a shame that you didn't have the option to wait for a 2011. My 11 is a night and day difference from my 2008. The brake grind is something I've seen in every car I've owned, from my 11 Edge, to 08 Edge, 08 Lexus, and 94 Toyota. Flash rust just feels and sounds terrible the first press of the brake pedal. Hope your Edge grows on you.

I'm glad you saw the humor and didn't take offense to it. However I thought I was being helpful as well.

Ā 

Yes the WD40 will wear off so you reapply; temporary solution, maybe, but the oil in your engine wears out so I hope you change it regularly too; so I guess an oil change is just a temporary solution to prevent the engine from siezing.

Ā 

As for road noise, the only time it really bothers me is when I can hear the tires humming. Wind noise is unavoidable in my opinion and varys based on the vehicle's aerodynamics.

Ā 

The brake grinding is normal and I believe there is a thread on here somewhere that many experienced the same. Yes mine does it too but only that first time for just a few seconds when cold; not that big a deal to me, but that's just me.

Ā 

I really hate that you're having these issues because as you can see so many of us either don't or maybe just aren't as sensitive tosome of the minor issues (or at least what we consider minor...)

Ā 

Oh, and I don't have navigation so that issue I can't truly be helpful with...

For the price of the car: the driver's seat squeaks ( the dealer put WD40 - is that a solution ) it only happens if you buckle the seat belt ???

Ā 

Just a heads up in regard to the seat squeaking. I had this problem with my edge as well - this was a known issue and is fixed by replacing the seat tracks. You'll know for sure if your seat actually rocks if you try to sway it. Hope that helps - it was a free fix under warranty - I'm surprised the dealer never knew this.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as your seat goes, do a search on here for squeaky seat. I remember reading a multiple page thread on the subject where someone DID figure out a permanent fix for it. You're right, it has to do with the seatbelt. Sorry, but I don't remember what the fix was off the top of my head. I read it about 5 to 6 weeks ago.

As far as your brakes go, yes, light surface rust will form very quickly but the calipers burn it off on the first application. I agree it sounds terrible, especially at low speeds. I, too, have had many cars that did that. The only solution is to liberally apply vaseline to the rotor......KIDDING!!! Don't do that! Seriously, it's one of those things you just learn to live with. You're lucky if you did not experience that on your other car(s).

Use White Lithium spray grease. This will not ever wear off and will stay on. WD-40 is junk in the real lubrication world.

Ā 

Agree on the use of white lithium grease, but WD-40 isn't "junk" - it's just not a grease and therefore isn't meant to provide long term lubrication.

Ā 

It was originally developed as a water displacer - thus the name WD-40 (40th attempt). It also works well as a penetrating oil for loosening rusted fasteners.

Ā 

Some people try to use it for long term lubrication and it's not designed for that.

Use White Lithium spray grease. This will not ever wear off and will stay on. WD-40 is junk in the real lubrication world.

Weelllll... this is not entirely true. There are some cases where it can dry out. Case in point, I currently drive a 2003 Crown Victoria... The hood latch makes squeaking noises, and eventually turns into a groan that sounds like a busted suspension if ignored. Spraying WLG into the latch and actuating it works, and cures the problem.... for about three weeks. Then all the grease has settled out of the mechanism and it continues as if never treated! I suspect it would perform wonders on a seat rail though, since there is less wind traveling through the cabin... :D

Then use Silicone Spray Lubricant, this does not dry out like the others.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I appreciate all the input BUT - the issue is NOT whether WD-40 works or what the better lubricant is --THE POINT IS THE SOLUTION IS TO FIX THE SQUEAK NOT TO PUT A BANDAID ON IT , JUST FIX THE PROBLEM.

I appreciate all the input BUT - the issue is NOT whether WD-40 works or what the better lubricant is --THE POINT IS THE SOLUTION IS TO FIX THE SQUEAK NOT TO PUT A BANDAID ON IT , JUST FIX THE PROBLEM.

Ā 

Ā 

Does this happen when anybody else drives the car? I don't want to make any assumptions to your body type, but it MAY have something to do with it.

Ā 

My old car's seatbelt would squeek at certain angles against the leather/seat bolster. Try getting into the car, buckling in, and when you notice the squeek, grab the latch and rotate it to another angle and see if that helps. If so, some felt glued to the contact side will stop that.

Ā 

As for the grinding brakes, get used to it. Its a product of metallic brakes and pads. Maybe ceramic pads could alleviate this. Visually inspect your brake rotors before getting in, if you see rust, use the brakes before you need them to clean up the surface.

Ā 

If you can't stand the noise and like the car otherwise, I would invest in some sound deadening. Ford must have heard the complaints too because the '11s have all sorts of new sound attenuation fixes (windshield, firewall, headliner, engine cover, mirrors etc). Dynamat is the most well known, but Raamatt is a very good alternative.

Ā 

With the Navigation and voice, does it work with anyone else using it? If there are still problems with other voices, I would take it to the dealer and have them test the microphone. If it doesn't hear well, it won't recognize your commands.

Ā 

Ā 

And maybe you are being a little picky, but that is just fine since this is YOUR car. You drive it, you should like it. If you don't, look for a way out. Check out other Edges in person and see if yours just happens to have issues.

Ā 

I'm sorry you are not impressed with your 2010 as I really have nothing but praise about the 2011 I picked up last night. Well..... short of the tires at least.

Ā 

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just about deaf so the squeaks and whines don't affect me and one more good thing is I can't hear the wife bumping her gums about the way I drive..

Ā 

As far as being picky, I think you have a right because the manufacturer put this voice activated crap in the veh so it should work.. Like I said in another post the voice activation did not work well in either Cadillac I've owned. Do this, go on the Porsche Cayenne or Range Rover forum and you will see that these 100,000 vehs have the same problems and people are complaining about them..

Ā 

Jerry in Minnesota.