rattle / vibration

bigthys

hello everyone

i have a 2011 Edge Sport and it has a rattle (sounds like plastic) that i think is coming from the back. i pretty much exhausted all the possibilities where the rattle could be coming from but i still could not pin it down. it's also intermitent, and everytime i have somebody drive in the car with me the rattle would not show up! even when driving alone, sometimes i could go for miles and miles and the cabin would be blissfully quiet, but the rattle would eventually come back.

has anybody else experience this annoying rattle? thanks.

I have in my '07. Best I can tell it has something to do with the rear seat. I thought it was coming from inside the rear passenger door but with the help of my daughter riding back there we narrowed it down to the seat as when she pulled on the lever that leans it back it would stop. So, I think it is from the hardware connections under the seat that are part of the reclining function. I've actually been riding around the last few days with the passenger side rear seat in the folded forward completely flat position and now that I think about it I don't recall hearing it theblast few days.

I have in my '07. Best I can tell it has something to do with the rear seat. I thought it was coming from inside the rear passenger door but with the help of my daughter riding back there we narrowed it down to the seat as when she pulled on the lever that leans it back it would stop. So, I think it is from the hardware connections under the seat that are part of the reclining function. I've actually been riding around the last few days with the passenger side rear seat in the folded forward completely flat position and now that I think about it I don't recall hearing it theblast few days.

thanks for the reply. i will drive with the rear seats folded and see if the rattle goes away (maybe for a couple of days or so since it's totally unpredictable when this rattle will show up).

the radio pretty much drowns the rattle, but there are times that i just want to drive with the radio off and this pesky rattle just ruins the calm.

thanks for the reply. i will drive with the rear seats folded and see if the rattle goes away (maybe for a couple of days or so since it's totally unpredictable when this rattle will show up).

the radio pretty much drowns the rattle, but there are times that i just want to drive with the radio off and this pesky rattle just ruins the calm.

It's totally unpredictable; just this morning, seats in the same position mentioned above, daughter (4 yr old) riding in the driver's side rear and it rattles all the way to softball practice and back home. This evening, I go run an errand alone, seats still in the same position, didn't rattle once and I even took the same route as this morning for the most part. One thing that has helped (sometimes) is wedging a piece of a foam noodle between the seat and the handle that leans it back.

It's totally unpredictable; just this morning, seats in the same position mentioned above, daughter (4 yr old) riding in the driver's side rear and it rattles all the way to softball practice and back home. This evening, I go run an errand alone, seats still in the same position, didn't rattle once and I even took the same route as this morning for the most part. One thing that has helped (sometimes) is wedging a piece of a foam noodle between the seat and the handle that leans it back.

this is getting old, hilarious and somewhat maddening! i drove with the rear seats folded down and a new rattle showed up! this time it sounded metallic. so, after a couple of miles or so i pulled over and returned the rear seats in their upright position and drove for several miles to the mall.....not a squeek.

i might just give up trying to solve/fix this pesky rattle. it is not obnoxiously loud and it is intermittent, but it just irks me because this is a new car! i know i will eventually be able to completely ignore it as if it's not there. who knows, maybe it will go away on its own. for now, i will just enjoy my new edge sport!

this is getting old, hilarious and somewhat maddening! i drove with the rear seats folded down and a new rattle showed up! this time it sounded metallic. so, after a couple of miles or so i pulled over and returned the rear seats in their upright position and drove for several miles to the mall.....not a squeek.

i might just give up trying to solve/fix this pesky rattle. it is not obnoxiously loud and it is intermittent, but it just irks me because this is a new car! i know i will eventually be able to completely ignore it as if it's not there. who knows, maybe it will go away on its own. for now, i will just enjoy my new edge sport!

Not sure where you live but cold weather will make them rattle more until things warm up

Not sure where you live but cold weather will make them rattle more until things warm up

i'm in the silicon valley, ca. the temperature around here (since i took delivery of the edge) has gone from the mid-40s to the low 70s, and that rattle has not been temperature-selective. it has shown up in both cold mornings and warm afternoons. but hopefully, summer time temperatures will make a positive difference.

• 1 year later...

I had this same rattle in my 2011 Ford Edge. I narrowed it down to INSIDE the driver's side rear passenger door panel.

The rattle was the plastic posts that holds the panel onto the metal door. These posts where rattling within the panel. Plastic on Plastic. I took it to the dealer and they replaced all of the pins/posts under warranty. After the replacement it rattle was even louder!

So I tried to fix it myself and I DID FIX IT! I took the door panel off (found instructions on internet for replacing door speakers) and removed all plactic posts from door panel. Then I stretched a small 1"x1" square piece of felt with a small hole cut in it so I could squeeze it on the back of each post. Once done I then reinstalled them in the door panel and put it all back together. No more rattle! By the way, I shook the whole door panel, up in the air over my head, to make sure I got all of the rattles. Now it is a nice a quit ride.

I hope this explanation will help someone else with their issues. I don't think the dealer's tech would have ever tried that!

God Bless!

A :)

The possibilities are many. I had a metallic type rattling coming from somewhere in back of the drivers seat. Its really hard to tell in a moving car. I had someone else drive the car and I got in the cargo area as I was most familiar with the sound. Turned out to be a loose license plate, honestly. I would suggest you get back there with someone else driving and try to narrow down the area with your own ears. Listen carefully and keep an open mind. Good luck..

I have a 2008 Lincoln MKX and the back seats would rattle metal to metal and would drive me insane! Finally, after 1.5 years of this going on and off, my husband took wd-40 and sprayed around the metal areas where the seats are bolted together for the movement of the seat from the laydown to set up position. He spayed and then I would pushing down on the seat while it was laying down until the rattle was gone. Wd-40 was my savior, the rattle is fixed!

I have a 2011 Sport

I had a similar intermittent rattle coming from the back.

Spare tire hold down had come loose, tightened it up, no more rattle.

I also had a rattle from the vista roof, it didn't seat just right one time and during the rainy season the roof can stay closed for weeks.

rattle was there until i opened the roof and it went away, Closed the roof and it seated properly, no more rattle

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had this same rattle in my 2011 Ford Edge. I narrowed it down to INSIDE the driver's side rear passenger door panel.

The rattle was the plastic posts that holds the panel onto the metal door. These posts where rattling within the panel. Plastic on Plastic. I took it to the dealer and they replaced all of the pins/posts under warranty. After the replacement it rattle was even louder!

So I tried to fix it myself and I DID FIX IT! I took the door panel off (found instructions on internet for replacing door speakers) and removed all plactic posts from door panel. Then I stretched a small 1"x1" square piece of felt with a small hole cut in it so I could squeeze it on the back of each post. Once done I then reinstalled them in the door panel and put it all back together. No more rattle! By the way, I shook the whole door panel, up in the air over my head, to make sure I got all of the rattles. Now it is a nice a quit ride.

I hope this explanation will help someone else with their issues. I don't think the dealer's tech would have ever tried that!

God Bless!

A :)

did you have any issues of getting all the pins to sit completly in the door. I got tints window tints installed and the installer had to pull off the door panel to get the tints below the panel. But now I noticed that the top panel was loose, one of the corner panel pins wasn't fully inserted. I tried pushing the panel into the door but it doesn't lock in. I disassembled the door and checked each door pin and they all insert completely, just when I attach it to the panel, that last pin doesn't fully insert.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Mel

I have an '08 and the rattle was driving me nutz for a while-- finally isolated it to the rear door latch. A quick spray with white lithium grease resolved the problem for 6 months--- when the noise started again, I sprayed it again--- I'll bet that most of the rattles are that problem.

Edited by flyerjmr33

• 6 months later...

I had the reattle in my 2011 Edge Sport as well and finally found the source. The rocker panel molding on the drivers side front fender between the wheel well and the drivers door was the source it wasn't the door. The dealer put foan behind it and the rattle is gone.

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a while since this topic was talked about but I had the same issue and I think I've figured mine out. It sounded like a plastic rattling. It was worse in the cold. It was coming from the passenger side rear. I thought maybe the rear seat. Or the cargo area. I checked the spare tire and that was fine. But then I checked the plastic pieces that surround the spare tire. I lifted up the cargo area floor, and stuffed pieces of foam all over in between any plastic pieces I could see or move. (I actually cut up one of those foam swimming noodles into pieces). Everything seemed much more snug under there. And it has dramatically made a difference if not completely eliminated the rattling I was hearing.

• Like 1