MPG

hildy18

Hello I'm new to this so please bare with me...I have an 07 Edge, my biggest problem is the MPG getting about 13. On a full tank i get about 350 miles to empty. When the tank is almost empty. According to the gauge it reads I've driven about 180 miles total. so, why are the gauges ready incorrect. Thats 170 miles difference. I've taken the car to be checked out they tell me there's nothing wrong. I believe there is. Anyone else is having this problem? Thanks

Example: This tank it gave me 371 miles to empty (full tank). I driven according to the gauge 173 miles and have 32 miles to empty.

Hello I'm new to this so please bare with me...I have an 07 Edge, my biggest problem is the MPG getting about 13. On a full tank i get about 350 miles to empty. When the tank is almost empty. According to the gauge it reads I've driven about 180 miles total. so, why are the gauges ready incorrect. Thats 170 miles difference. I've taken the car to be checked out they tell me there's nothing wrong. I believe there is. Anyone else is having this problem? Thanks

Example: This tank it gave me 371 miles to empty (full tank). I driven according to the gauge 173 miles and have 32 miles to empty.

All its telling you when full if you drive conservitivily you might get that many mile. If you drive all city with a heavy foot

you will not get that many miles. That figure changes continually based on your driving. If whan the car says that you have 50 miles to empty

you take it out on the highway and set the cruse at 55 you will see that you will get more than 50 miles. In reverse if you do all stop and go

with a heavy foot you will get less than 50 miles.On mo 08 edge i was getting around 300 miles per tank mostly city driving. this was

driving with no jack rabbit starts.

All its telling you when full if you drive conservitivily you might get that many mile. If you drive all city with a heavy foot

you will not get that many miles. That figure changes continually based on your driving. If whan the car says that you have 50 miles to empty

you take it out on the highway and set the cruse at 55 you will see that you will get more than 50 miles. In reverse if you do all stop and go

with a heavy foot you will get less than 50 miles.On mo 08 edge i was getting around 300 miles per tank mostly city driving. this was

driving with no jack rabbit starts.

Thanks for the imput. I understand that those figure changes. My driving is mostly city, dont have a heavy foot and no driving with no jack rabbit start. On your edge you get about 300 mles on a full tank and and when your almost empty how many miles have you driven? is it close to miles you started with? I don't get even close. like i mention i had 370 on full and now im on empty tolal used miles is 198. thats a difference of 172. Is that normal??????? I've been keeping a close watch on the gauge... driving about 2 blocks and the gauge changes and will continue to change every 2-3 blocks instead of a miles or 8 blocks, so example driving my son to school is only 3 miles from my home it will calculate i drove 10-15 miles i dont believe thats normal.

• 4 weeks later...

HMM my Edge 425 miles at 23 MPG is my average.

Your math does not add up.... do you have a bigger fuel tank than stock?

See if you look at my math 425 miles divided by 23MPG = 18.47 gallons of gas used

Your math is 467 miles divided by 16.3MPG = 28 gallons of gas used..... Now I do not know of any Edge with a 28 gallon tank.

You have to reset the settings right after and every time you fill up or you will get inaccurate readings. Sounds like there was 10 gallons of gas in your Edge when you bought it and then your Wife filled it up and never reset the settings!

wifes new edge... first fill up... 467 miles......avg 16.3 .....

all city driving...

HMM my Edge 425 miles at 23 MPG is my average.

Your math does not add up.... do you have a bigger fuel tank than stock?

See if you look at my math 425 miles divided by 23MPG = 18.47 gallons of gas used

Your math is 467 miles divided by 16.3MPG = 28 gallons of gas used..... Now I do not know of any Edge with a 28 gallon tank.

You have to reset the settings right after and every time you fill up or you will get inaccurate readings. Sounds like there was 10 gallons of gas in your Edge when you bought it and then your Wife filled it up and never reset the settings!

that could be right... i bet they topped it off at the dealer... man i'm dumb~... THIS!!!.. tank.... i'll get more of an accurate reading. i'll post back...

thanks for the clarification!.. its been a long work week!

I bought mine new in Oct 2010 and from that day till approx last month I was averaging 18MPG all around driving. Now since it is warming up I have jumped up to 24MPG one time but staying steady at 23MPG now all around driving. I have just under 5000 miles on it. I am guessing it will fluctuate for another month or so and then stabilize.

2011 Edge SE 2WD

Getting 17 MPG around town and 22-23 on the highway - 2011 LTD AWD - less than 1K miles. I'll be interested to see how it does after break-in and the first oil change when I go to synthetic oil . It used to boost the mileage in my previous Jeep a bit.

I think that 350 to empty is the Edge using you previous avg MPG in the computer multiplied by how much is in the tank.

EX: 19.4 MPG x 18 Gallons = 350mi ... but since your right foot only squeezed out 13MPG, you got 13MPG x 18 Gallons = 234 mi.

234 mi - 173 mi = 61 mi. (at 19.4MPG)... at 13MPG you only have 40.87 mi to empty. (pretty close to 32 mi and remember, I'm guesstimating the hell out of your computer's MPG and your tank fill)

MPG is not ONLY about how heavy of a foot you have. You need to look at driving habits. I get on the gas on acceleration, but I'm scanning lights and traffic way ahead of my car and coast to a light when I can (it takes all the patience I have, but that little MPG indicator helps; install a vacuum gauge if you don't have this feature). That small amount of rolling momentum as you reach a newly greened light can save a ton of gas.

(BTW, I'm getting 18.5 MPG in my first 1100miles in Los Angeles rush hour traffic on the 10 freeway.)

Edited by cal3thousand

I bought mine new in Oct 2010 and from that day till approx last month I was averaging 18MPG all around driving. Now since it is warming up I have jumped up to 24MPG one time but staying steady at 23MPG now all around driving. I have just under 5000 miles on it. I am guessing it will fluctuate for another month or so and then stabilize.

2011 Edge SE 2WD

If you live in a northern metro area the switch to summer blend will bump up the mileage also. My CTS is up around 1 MPG city this month.

• 2 weeks later...

With all these new cars out there I dont see why we need special blends of gas anymore.

Because it has nothing to do with the car.

The difference between conventional summer- and winter-blend gasoline has to do with the Reid Vapor Pressure of the fuel. RVP relates to the volatility of a gasoline. The more volatile a gasoline, the more likely it will evaporate as the temperatures rises; evaporated gasoline contributes to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. Summer gasoline has a low RVP and is less likely to evaporate when compared to the high RVP winter grade. The Environmental Protection Agency says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which contributes to the summer blend’s slightly better gas mileage.

The Energy Information Administration says the switch between the two fuels happens twice a year, once in the fall (winter blend) and again in the spring (summer blend). Summer-blend gasoline is typically more expensive to produce than the winter blend, and it won’t affect vehicle performance or the durability of the engine and fuel system, according to the EPA.

In many large cities as well as California and New England, the EPA requires the use of reformulated summer- and winter-blend gasolines. These RFGs contain oxygenates that lower RVP and other toxic chemicals even further than conventional gasoline.

I just did a nice highway road trip for the first time and got 24 mpg with my AWD limited. I think summer gas might be out now? Still getting a steady 20 driving around town with some highway.

It's regional and based on the climate in the area.

I wouldn't be surprised to see summer blends in So Cal as the ambient temps have been 60°F ~ 80°F. Highs in the 80s all this week downtown.

How's the air in AK?

It's regional and based on the climate in the area.

I wouldn't be surprised to see summer blends in So Cal as the ambient temps have been 60°F ~ 80°F. Highs in the 80s all this week downtown.

How's the air in AK?

Still cool. Starting to get into the low 50's during the day. Air is very clean now that we have gotten a bit of rain to wash the dust down. Nothing like SoCal air.

Still cool. Starting to get into the low 50's during the day. Air is very clean now that we have gotten a bit of rain to wash the dust down. Nothing like SoCal air.

Come to think of it... your air is so clean, I doubt they would need to oxygenate the fuel there.

Maybe someone that knows more will chime on this?