2011 Ford Edge AWD Problem

bad_andy

My wife and I recently purchased a 2011 Edge SEL AWD (mid-March). The day after we got it, I was entering the highway and accelerating to merge. I was talking to my brother-in-law over SYNC and all of a sudden the whole car shook. It felt like I hit a pothole or something. It was so loud that my brother-in-law asked about it.

I immediately pulled over and looked all around and couldn't see anything wrong. (No potholes on that ramp and nothing to the side of the road that I might have hit) It still drove and rode fine. No check engine lights or anything.

I scheduled a time with the service department, but we kept driving it. Then a week later, it happened to my wife. She was in the middle of the road trying to go, but the car wouldn't move, despite pressing the gas. She let off the gas once, and pressed it again and it finally moved. I called the service department, steaming, wanting to get it in ASAP. They scheduled me for the following Monday and said they'd have a loaner for me.

Here we are, a week and a half later, and it's still in the shop. They are telling me that the entire rear end is being replaced. WTF!?!? We put less than 300 miles on it and the rear end has to be replaced!?!?

I've searched and can't find anyone else talking about anything similar, so has anyone else heard of this???

Edited by bad_andy

My wife and I recently purchased a 2011 Edge SEL AWD (mid-March). The day after we got it, I was entering the highway and accelerating to merge. I was talking to my brother-in-law over SYNC and all of a sudden the whole car shook. It felt like I hit a pothole or something. It was so loud that my brother-in-law asked about it.

I immediately pulled over and looked all around and couldn't see anything wrong. (No potholes on that ramp and nothing to the side of the road that I might have hit) It still drove and rode fine. No check engine lights or anything.

I scheduled a time with the service department, but we kept driving it. Then a week later, it happened to my wife. She was in the middle of the road trying to go, but the car wouldn't move, despite pressing the gas. She let off the gas once, and pressed it again and it finally moved. I called the service department, steaming, wanting to get it in ASAP. They scheduled me for the following Monday and said they'd have a loaner for me.

Here we are, a week and a half later, and it's still in the shop. They are telling me that the entire rear end is being replaced. WTF!?!? We put less than 300 miles on it and the rear end has to be replaced!?!?

I've searched and can't find anyone else talking about anything similar, so has anyone else heard of this???

Never heard of anything like that. Seems like most AWD problems are due to the PTU seals and those show up after a little bit of driving.

Maybe there's a reason that AWD production for the 2011 MY has ended.

In any case, I hope they fix it up like new (in this case better than new). One good thing is that they are actually doing something about it and not blowing smoke up your ass.

• Like 1

I was wondering why I could not find any AWD 2011's in the dealer online inventories. Does anyone have any more information on this? Very disappointing.

There is at least 20 in dealer stock here right now. I haven't had any issues in almost 7k miles. Hoping it is a more random occurrence and is fixed quickly and correctly.

Keep us posted Andy.

There is at least 20 in dealer stock here right now. I haven't had any issues in almost 7k miles. Hoping it is a more random occurrence and is fixed quickly and correctly.

Keep us posted Andy.

We still don't have the car back. It has officially been 2 weeks today since we dropped it off.

In talking with the service manager, there is apparently a known issue with the AWD system on the Edge (also on the Taurus). When the service techs called Ford's tech line, they had them run through some troubleshooting steps and on the first set, it failed. Then, they had to order the parts to swap the whole rear end, so we've just been waiting on parts this entire time.

This could be premature speculation, but they could be on the verge of a recall, based on how quickly Ford answered my problem. Like they already knew about it.

The good news is, Ford is a great company to work with. I called their 800 number and immediately got an escalation issue ticket. I was called back in 24 hrs and they are (still) working hard to make it right.

Biggest piece of advise I can give to ANYONE whose car has been in the shop this long is to call the Manufacturer. In more instances than not, they will be willing to help.

Some help here :stop: I just ordered a 2011 SEL AWD this week and have heard nothing about a "stop in production of AWD's". Is this for real or BS? :shrug: Please somebody give me some good info on this comment. I'm REAL NEW here and would appreciate a link to factual data.

TKX

Lee

I definitely don't have anything official. I have a lot of knowledge in the industry, but no official insight into Ford (or any other manufacturer) for that matter.

That said, we have gotten the Edge back mid-last week and I am taking it back today at lunch. One of the problems that I originally told them about was that the transmission was slipping. I was told that it was fixed, along side the AWD problem. Well, it is still happening. We still have less than 1,200 miles on this thing.

I have been told by 2 service managers that the trans "learns" driving styles over the course of a couple hundred miles. This is due to the fact that there are more computers in the mix (drive-by-wire). Still, with a little under 1,200 miles, this shouldn't be happening.

I'm not convinced that this is a widespread issue or that there is a manufacturing defect, I just think that we may have a lemon on our hands. Everything else I've read about these cars is positive (except for the gripes about MyFord Touch :-P )

• 3 weeks later...

Ours does the same thing! A loud bang with severe hard jerking. Never completely stops. Had it in the shop once and they just said the transmission fluid was low. I was assured it wouldn't happen again. Well, it did it again yesterday. Needless to say, calling the dealer in the morning. Going to have my husband check the fluid. My BIL, who teaches automechanics, said he thinks it's something to do with the transfer box for the AWD. I'll be mentioning that to them when I call. This stinks because I want to love my new car....but I don't!

• 1 month later...

Ours does the same thing! A loud bang with severe hard jerking. Never completely stops. Had it in the shop once and they just said the transmission fluid was low. I was assured it wouldn't happen again. Well, it did it again yesterday. Needless to say, calling the dealer in the morning. Going to have my husband check the fluid. My BIL, who teaches automechanics, said he thinks it's something to do with the transfer box for the AWD. I'll be mentioning that to them when I call. This stinks because I want to love my new car....but I don't!

We have the same problem exactly. Not sure what to do with it. Unless you can reproduce this, the mechanic will just blow you off and say its ok. This is a very random issue but very annoying

• 2 weeks later...

Your problem is described exactly in TSB 11-5-6 (published May 10th. Take it back to the dealer and have them perform this TSB (it's a software flash and a modification to the valve body in the transmission). Then everything will be fine.

Yup, it has already been fixed. We were apparently on the front end of that TSB coming out. It was published before, but not applied to the VINs yet because they weren't convinced that it was a problem on the new model. Since the fix, all is well and we love our Edge, except for the sometimes-finicky MFT. :dogwalk:

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, it has already been fixed. We were apparently on the front end of that TSB coming out. It was published before, but not applied to the VINs yet because they weren't convinced that it was a problem on the new model. Since the fix, all is well and we love our Edge, except for the sometimes-finicky MFT. :dogwalk:

Have you noticed the difference since the TSB? Better performance such as less delay or lag on acceleration. No more KLUNKS?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have the same issue with my Edge. (2011 Ford Edge limited) I have 8000 miles on it and one day while on a family trip, I heard a loud bang from the bottom of my car. It was as if I ran over a cinder block. I quickly pulled over and saw nothing, It's repeated once since than. I haven't heard the noise since. I called my dealer and made an appointment. The dealer couldn't replicate the issue and I was sent on my way. I then read about the TSB from here and called and made another appointment and once again, the dealer claimed that there hands were tied and that they couldn't implement the TSB unless they could duplicate the issue. I wrote Ford twice and twice they said someone would contact me and of course no one has.

I'm frustrated and really upset. Thanks for listening

Weiser

Mine has done it as well. It was soo loud that people on the side of the road jumped and looked at my car. Car drove fine after and it hasnt done it again since. I told the dealer about it during my free oil change and they told me to set up an appointment (it was a saturday and no master techs were in).

My KLUNK is sporadic but very unsettling when it does happen. In addition to the KLUNK, there is a very noticeable lag in acceleration when I do a "rolling stop". I've ended up adjusting my driving style to feather the throttle and to make sure I have enough space to allow for the slow response.

I've been in once to get it addresses and I got told they couldn't recreate the KLUNK. The TSB has come out since and have it printed awaiting my next visit to the service bay.

I would think the service department would be happy to perform the TSB. Why would they turn an owner down? Don't they get reimbursed by FORD?

My KLUNK is sporadic but very unsettling when it does happen. In addition to the KLUNK, there is a very noticeable lag in acceleration when I do a "rolling stop". I've ended up adjusting my driving style to feather the throttle and to make sure I have enough space to allow for the slow response.

I've been in once to get it addresses and I got told they couldn't recreate the KLUNK. The TSB has come out since and have it printed awaiting my next visit to the service bay.

I would think the service department would be happy to perform the TSB. Why would they turn an owner down? Don't they get reimbursed by FORD?

Sounds like a crappy dealer/service department. I kept bugging the crap out of my salesman and service department. Every time it happened, they got a phone call.

Mine has done it as well. It was soo loud that people on the side of the road jumped and looked at my car. Car drove fine after and it hasnt done it again since. I told the dealer about it during my free oil change and they told me to set up an appointment (it was a saturday and no master techs were in).

My service department told me that the "clunk" you heard was the rear-end breaking. The reason it still runs is because it disables the rear differential. Essentially, after the clunk, you are driving a FWD car, not AWD.It will continue to run fine after the clunk, but you no longer have AWD. They replaced the whole rear-end in our Edge.

Hi everyone,

I have the same issue with my Edge. (2011 Ford Edge limited) I have 8000 miles on it and one day while on a family trip, I heard a loud bang from the bottom of my car. It was as if I ran over a cinder block. I quickly pulled over and saw nothing, It's repeated once since than. I haven't heard the noise since. I called my dealer and made an appointment. The dealer couldn't replicate the issue and I was sent on my way. I then read about the TSB from here and called and made another appointment and once again, the dealer claimed that there hands were tied and that they couldn't implement the TSB unless they could duplicate the issue. I wrote Ford twice and twice they said someone would contact me and of course no one has.

I'm frustrated and really upset. Thanks for listening

Weiser

I blog (for fun) and did a review on our Edge. I posted a copy of the TSB in my article. http://motofinity.com/2011-ford-edge-sel-awd/

I had my sales manager get me in touch with someone at Ford to make sure the problem got resolved. They called me after it was out of the shop to make sure everything was OK...let me see if I can find Ford's number.

I blog (for fun) and did a review on our Edge. I posted a copy of the TSB in my article. http://motofinity.com/2011-ford-edge-sel-awd/

I had my sales manager get me in touch with someone at Ford to make sure the problem got resolved. They called me after it was out of the shop to make sure everything was OK...let me see if I can find Ford's number.

One other key piece of information: my dealer put a "black box" in our Edge with a panic button. When the car would hesitate, I'd press the panic button and it would record a minute of electrical data that they could see the problem. You may want to ask you dealer about this.

One other key piece of information: my dealer put a "black box" in our Edge with a panic button. When the car would hesitate, I'd press the panic button and it would record a minute of electrical data that they could see the problem. You may want to ask you dealer about this.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

• 4 months later...

Ok so i'll join the line with my fellow 2011 Edge AWD owners with this issue. Here is my recent experiences with this. I was going down a slight hill made a left turn at the bottom of the hill, then accelerated in a normal manner I felt a jerk as soon as I hit the gas :peelout:

Two days ago on my way home from work, approaching a red light, my speed was about 25 MPH. The light changed to green I stepped on the gas in a normal mannor but the car didn't speed up. In the midst of saying WTF to myself, it catch on then the engine revved up a little :blink: I have 7548 miles on the OD. On my next oil change, ill mention those two experiences to my service advisor. Something tells me I already know the answer to my question from them. "Yeah we took it out on the road but couldn't find any problems with it." Despite the issues with MFT and now this, I still love my edge. Ill keep you posted :play:

Ok so i'll join the line with my fellow 2011 Edge AWD owners with this issue. Here is my recent experiences with this. I was going down a slight hill made a left turn at the bottom of the hill, then accelerated in a normal manner I felt a jerk as soon as I hit the gas :peelout:

Two days ago on my way home from work, approaching a red light, my speed was about 25 MPH. The light changed to green I stepped on the gas in a normal mannor but the car didn't speed up. In the midst of saying WTF to myself, it catch on then the engine revved up a little :blink: I have 7548 miles on the OD. On my next oil change, ill mention those two experiences to my service advisor. Something tells me I already know the answer to my question from them. "Yeah we took it out on the road but couldn't find any problems with it." Despite the issues with MFT and now this, I still love my edge. Ill keep you posted :play:

I printed the TSB and took it in with me. They confirmed that it applied to me and then ordered the parts. I had the fix done a week later.

Boy! Am I glad I had it done. It works great!

Don't put it off any longer. You'll be glad you did it.

• 5 months later...