Weak AC fan blower - how to clean filter

First, thanks very much for this community ! I just purchased a 2008 Edge SEL and the AC was cool, but not blowing very hard. Living in Texas, this was obviously going to be a major issue for me :-)

A quick search of the forum led me to the location of the cabin air filter, which was VERY dirty. Cleaned it with an aircompressor and then soapy water, million times better.

So thanks a ton, and being a big believer in community, here's some pics and steps that might make it easier on the next person. No tools required and this entire job should take no more than 30 mins.

1. Remove everything from the glove compartment. You will be removing the entire compartment and your contents will fall on the floor if you don't remove them :-)

2. Remove the clip on the right side that is attached to the "string" that "hinges" the glove box.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3. Press on the sides of the glove box to get the "posts" on the side to clear and remove glove compartment from the front. Once the "posts" clear, the compartment will fall to the floor. It is hinged at the bottom.

3.jpg

4.jpg

4. You can now see the blower box with the plastic grid at the top. Just below the grid there is a latched cover to access the screen filter. On the left side of the cover there is a clip that is depressed to remove. Look for the arrow on the left of the cover.

5.jpg

5. Pull the screen filter straight out. It will be readily apparent if it needs cleaning or not. Below you can see the before and after of my filter.

6.jpg

6. Use an air compressor or wet cloth to remove the lint. Then clean in soapy water, dry and reinsert.

7.jpg

Hope this helps others, and thanks again for a great forum to share information.

• Like 3

First, thanks very much for this community ! I just purchased a 2008 Edge SEL and the AC was cool, but not blowing very hard. Living in Texas, this was obviously going to be a major issue for me :-)

A quick search of the forum led me to the location of the cabin air filter, which was VERY dirty. Cleaned it with an aircompressor and then soapy water, million times better.

So thanks a ton, and being a big believer in community, here's some pics and steps that might make it easier on the next person. No tools required and this entire job should take no more than 30 mins.

1. Remove everything from the glove compartment. You will be removing the entire compartment and your contents will fall on the floor if you don't remove them :-)

2. Remove the clip on the right side that is attached to the "string" that "hinges" the glove box.

[removed]

3. Press on the sides of the glove box to get the "posts" on the side to clear and remove glove compartment from the front. Once the "posts" clear, the compartment will fall to the floor. It is hinged at the bottom.

[removed]

4. You can now see the blower box with the plastic grid at the top. Just below the grid there is a latched cover to access the screen filter. On the left side of the cover there is a clip that is depressed to remove. Look for the arrow on the left of the cover.

[removed]

5. Pull the screen filter straight out. It will be readily apparent if it needs cleaning or not. Below you can see the before and after of my filter.

[removed]

6. Use an air compressor or wet cloth to remove the lint. Then clean in soapy water, dry and reinsert.

[removed]

Hope this helps others, and thanks again for a great forum to share information.

Thanks for posting; especially the pics. Looks like the filter is not much more than a screen. I'm going to invest in an activated carbon replacement.

Edited by cal3thousand

• 4 months later...

I was just looking for this exact information and whala! Thanks for posting the pictures and steps. I'd rather do this myself than pay the dealer $75+ to do it for me.

Just for the record, it's "Voila!", not whala. It's french.

How in the world could a dealer justify charging $75 for a 5 minute job?

• 1 month later...

Well, this is my first post and I'm spending it by saying "Thanks" for this topic. I just bought a brand new 2011 SEL and was really surprised by how dirty the filter was for a brand new car.

My filter looks different than the one in the picture. Mine is all white and is simply a paper filter with a thin plastic edging. The poster that provided pics looks like he has a more heavy duty filter compared to mine. FWIW.

Peace,

DM

[2. Remove the clip on the right side that is attached to the "string" that "hinges" the glove box.]

My clip is on the left side. Does the clip slide down? There doesn't seem to be enough slack in the string to move the clip down far enough.

Edited by 11Edge

• 8 months later...

Thank you very much for the step by step instruction. Also, living in Texas, last summer my air conditioner was blowing cold air; however, the AC blower was almost nill. This summer it has been worse and was not looking foward to the cost of getting it fixed. So, I came across this forum and with my laptop in hand and reading the instruction to my 16 yr old son (who did the work), the blower is like new! Took about 10 minutes and saved money.

• 3 years later...