Gas Mileage 2010 Ford Edge AWD

jeff hunt

My 2010 ford edge AWD is getting at best 20.3 mpg. It has been from Canada to Florida and back. My dealer hooked it to the computer and told me it is getting 30.1 hwy mpg at 60 mph. We do the speed limits on the Interstates which is 70 mph and I don't understand how our mpg can be 33% or more off what was claimed when I purchased, or as the result of the dealers computer test shows.

Any advice or comment would be appreciated, anyone with a similar concern.

Jeff

I believe you vehicle is rated at 23 MPG highway for 2010 models. Therefore around 20+ is close to normal depending on your average speed, vehicle load and other factors.

Thanks for your response. I have never seen the 23mpg figure before, I did see 25 on a website, forgotten where, below what the Ford company claims and can measure with their computers. Do you remember where you saw this figure?

Jeff

Thanks for your response. I have never seen the 23mpg figure before, I did see 25 on a website, forgotten where, below what the Ford company claims and can measure with their computers. Do you remember where you saw this figure?

Jeff

25 MPG would be for a FWD 2010 or a 2011 AWD Edge. 2010 Edge AWD is ratwd at 17 City 23 Hwy

Also, if memory serves me right, the force (F) of air drag is calculated as a product of a coefficient (cd) and the square (v²) of your speed. (F = cd * v²)

60 squared = 3600 and 70 squared = 4900

4900-3600 = 1300.

1300 is 36% of 3600. So it requires 36% more force to move your car 70MPH versus 60MPH.

With our 2010 Limited AWD with 20" tires we average with 40,000kms on it combined city and hwy over 5000kms about 21 US and 25 imperial MPG.

Towing our snowmobiles in a 2 place enclosed side by side trailer it drops mileage to 17-18 US or 21 IMP. This trailer is 101 inches wide and slightly taller than the edge so it is like a parachute.

On a long highway run it sips fuel at 25 US and 30 Imperial cruising at 115-120 km/ph.

Summer is higher than winter.

Our 07 was quite a bit tougher on fuel.

Thanks to you all for your comments and input, some of it very scientific. In the end what bothers me is that the vehicle was advertised at sale for 32mpg be it Imperial (Canadian) or American gallons; and that the Ford dealership can hook it to a computer and come up with 30mpg at 60mph: and then advise to just try to drive a consistent 60mph to prove their point, I don't know how prevalent this type of disparity is with other car makers or for that matter other Ford products, but I may just spend some internet time to learn more.

Jeff

The MPG ratings always state "Mileage may vary" due to the many variables that impact it. I always check my tire pressure (For highway I bump it up a bit) and run with full synthetic oil and use cruise control a lot. Sometimes I exceed the rating. Living in Illinois there are very few hills so I drive on mostly on flat land. Winter blended fuel here reduces MPG by 5%. Fuel with ethanol added also reduces MPG (I believe?)

Edited by blankster

The MPG ratings always state "Mileage may vary" due to the many variables that impact it. I always check my tire pressure (For highway I bump it up a bit) and run with full synthetic oil and use cruise control a lot. Sometimes I exceed the rating. Living in Illinois there are very few hills so I drive on mostly on flat land. Winter blended fuel here reduces MPG by 5%. Fuel with ethanol added also reduces MPG (I believe?)

Correct. Winter blends include ethanol or MTBE that helps reduce emissions but is not as energy dense as gasoline, so you lose some MPG.

Looks like my first half-tank of gas came out to be 18.9mpg on my new 2010 AWD SEL.

I calculated it using Miles/Gallons, not the digital display on the dash. Seems pretty much right on the nose for these things. The next tank around, I'm going to see if I can eek 20mpg out of her.

Looks like my first half-tank of gas came out to be 18.9mpg on my new 2010 AWD SEL.

I calculated it using Miles/Gallons, not the digital display on the dash. Seems pretty much right on the nose for these things. The next tank around, I'm going to see if I can eek 20mpg out of her.

My mileage is starting to increase as the break-in progresses. Getting about 18.9MPG right now on 80-90% city driving.(approaching 1600mi).

You can break 20... coast the crap out of it before lights and make any yellows you can.

Hey Cal,

Yep, I've heard that they do break in a bit. Mine was actually a Ford Certified Pre-Owned with 16,000 miles on the odo when I bought it. I suppose 'New' was misleading, It's defniitely new to me =)

Regardless, 18.9.... Let's call it 19 for good measure, is still 2mpg better than my 2005 Ford Mustang V6, so I'm quite pleased. Once I refilled today, I blew away the Fuel Economy reading in the computer so I could have it do a fresh calculation. By the time I pulled into the driveway (8 miles from the station) it was reading 26mpg avg. I know that it'll go down, but it's cool to have it calculating on the fly now that I have cleared it out.

• 3 months later...

2000 Miles in and I'm sitting between 20.6 - 21 mpg. Thats milking it too, cruise control as much as possible and not stomping on the pedal, window sticker claimed 18-25.

That sounds about right. Would you mind posting what your average MPH was for the same period? I'm guessing that you are doing faster than city speeds but slower than a full 65MPH average.

The way I think about it, if you want to get that 25 or 27 MPG rating (EPA estimate) to come true, you need to AVERAGE highway speeds. If you do ANY idling or city driving, that will go down.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

2010 Ford Edge AWD w/ 70,000 miles

Interstate trip between Washiington DC and New Haven, CT.......on I-95 doing about 70mph (not using cruise control). Average reading from trip computer was 27.2

I would no doubt achieved 28mpg if it weren't for 3 hours of nightmare traffic at certain parts. This is a replacement vehicle for a 1997 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD which never achieved anything better than 22 mpg on the highway. Couldn't be happier with the highway mileage.