"Engine Oil Life"?

rrose

Hey guys.... I have a 2011 Edge Limited..... I know that it has an intelligent oil life monitor that will tell me when to change the oil. Is it possiable to see what my "Engine Oil Life" currently is at? I've looked through all my manuals and did a search on here and can't find it. It has 5400 miles on it and it still hasn't told me to change the oil..... so I am curious as to where it is on its life span. I did a sync my ride vehicle report and it didn't give me any good information. Please tell me how and where to find my engine oil life!

Hey guys.... I have a 2011 Edge Limited..... I know that it has an intelligent oil life monitor that will tell me when to change the oil. Is it possiable to see what my "Engine Oil Life" currently is at? I've looked through all my manuals and did a search on here and can't find it. It has 5400 miles on it and it still hasn't told me to change the oil..... so I am curious as to where it is on its life span. I did a sync my ride vehicle report and it didn't give me any good information. Please tell me how and where to find my engine oil life!

The manual has recommended intervals. But I don't know of anything that will give you an instant oil analysis.

Best thing to do is pull the dipstick and have a look. Smell it for hydrocarbons and other crap, run it between fingers to check lubricity, wipe it on a paper towel and check the dirt content. If the oil is thin, or really dirty, consider having it changed.

You could also send a sample of your oil to a place like Blackstone and have them analyse it.

On your left dash screen there is an option for Information (I think it is labeled) scroll through that and you will fine the oil life thing. I have 8k miles on mine and it is still at 45% or so. Will get it changed soon.

On your left dash screen there is an option for Information (I think it is labeled) scroll through that and you will fine the oil life thing. I have 8k miles on mine and it is still at 45% or so. Will get it changed soon.

Thanks Choff.... I will check it when my wife gets home to see if I can find it under 'information'. I bought the 100K mile warranty package.... I'm planning on changing it when the car actually tells me to change it! Seems that if it was designed to work that way.... and Ford is gonna warranty it till 100K.... why not!

Well I took a look and its not on there. I looked through everything on the left side of the dash and nothing. I did find the oil life setting..... so you can set what precentage you want it to warn you to change it at. But it has to tell you somewhere what the current oil life is! Anyone that knows.... please tell me!

Well I took a look and its not on there. I looked through everything on the left side of the dash and nothing. I did find the oil life setting..... so you can set what precentage you want it to warn you to change it at. But it has to tell you somewhere what the current oil life is! Anyone that knows.... please tell me!

It's near the end of the list, something like information -> system check then it shows you oil life, and washer ok, breaks ok etc..

M.

• 3 months later...

It's not supposed to go over 10K according to the manual. Perhaps someone reset your counter.

I just hit 11k and I still have life left on the oil according to the computer. And I know it hasn't been reset as I check it periodically and it moves down really slowly. Where does it say you shouldn't go over 10k, and if that is the case why wouldn't the computer recommend a change accordingly?

All my previous vehicles I have changed at least every 5k but I thought for once I would give this monitoring thing a try, now I'm wondering if I have messed up by running it too long...

Ok, it just occured to me I could look this up myself. Here is what the owner's manual says about the oil change interval:

NORMAL SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE AND LOG

For your convenience, your vehicle is equipped with a message center

which determines the proper oil change service interval. You should

perform the engine oil change as indicated by the message center. The

message center will display ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL

CHANGE REQUIRED to indicate when an oil change is needed. The

engine oil change service needs to be completed within two weeks or

500 miles (800 km) after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message is

displayed. Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or

10,000 miles (16,000 km). Reset your Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ after

each engine oil and filter change; refer to the Instrument Cluster

chapter.

If your message center is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative, you

should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 miles

(8,000 km) from your last oil change.

So from that I am reading that as long as you don't go over a year, you could potentially exceed 10k miles before an oil change. Or am I reading it wrong?

Edited by viper001

Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or

10,000 miles (16,000 km)

That implies to me that it will never exceed 10K miles or 1 year. Perhaps it does exceed those limits and it's ok and the manual is wrong.

If it was me I wouldn't exceed either one just to be safe.