Phantom Power Liftgate - Opens By Itself

There is a thought. Maybe he was pushing the button and on the tailgate LOL. Didn't work though, I fought my way out. :)

Just remember - that which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

You dumped him so it must have worked!

Reminds me of the old Foster Brooks joke:

My first wife died from eating poison mushrooms.

My second wife died from eating poison mushrooms.

My third wife died from a bashed in skull.

She wouldn't eat her mushrooms.

Just remember - that which does not kill us only makes us stronger.

You dumped him so it must have worked!

Reminds me of the old Foster Brooks joke:

My first wife died from eating poison mushrooms.

My second wife died from eating poison mushrooms.

My third wife died from a bashed in skull.

She wouldn't eat her mushrooms.

Good one. It was shortly after the Tailgate Scandal that I rid of him. I don't put up with much. And he wouldn't eat the mushrooms lol. :):finger:

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
On 6/3/2011 at 9:34 AM, silverknight said:

I'm sure it's not by itself, but this has happened three times in six weeks and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

I've come out of a store and found my liftgate open. I keep the transmitter in my pocket with my cell and just find it hard to believe that the cell is hitting the liftgate button twice within three seconds and I'm close enough to the car.

I'm going to isoltae the transmitter with nothing else in my pocket, but it just seems strange.

• 3 weeks later...

The variant that has been happening to me is that occasionally it opens while I am spraying it with water at the self wash car wash. Today it did it twice.

I have not been able to isolate the conditions under which it opens, but I really don't want to spray inside the cargo area. ?

Sorry about that.

I have a 2020 Edge SEL

The spoiler causes a lot of dust to build up on the hatchback window when I drive on gravel roads. So I have to wash it off pretty regularly.

The liftgate doesn't open every time, but maybe one time in four or five.

Today it happened twice

On 8/8/2020 at 5:29 PM, Guest brk said:

The variant that has been happening to me is that occasionally it opens while I am spraying it with water at the self wash car wash. Today it did it twice.

I have not been able to isolate the conditions under which it opens, but I really don't want to spray inside the cargo area. ?

Does this only happen when the spray is directed under the back of ghe car? May be sencing the spray, thinking it to be a "foot" waving back and forth.

I thought about the spray going low and setting off the foot sensor, but the last time it happened twice when I was spraying around the bottom of the glass ( middle of the liftback).

I asked about it at the dealership when I just had my oil changed and they washed it and tried to see if it would repeat. Of course it didn't.

I'm stumped.

The car is pretty new - just over 19000 miles on it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Stupid lift gate

Just took ownership of a 2018 Edge SEL.  My wife closed the hatch, then started closing the garage.  While the garage door was closing, the hatch opened by itself and hit the garage door causing a small crack in the tail light.

Thought there must have been something causing the hatch to not close all the way, but checked and everything is in order.  I can close it manually fine, but if I use the remote or button on the hatch then it will open right back up.