Oil filter and oil?

Joe Todor

Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend and a motorcraft filter.

I've been using this same combo for years in all my Fords that call for 5w20. Wallymart sells it cheap and seems to always have it in stock. Was thinking about switching to Mobil One 5w20 but I just don't see any reason to.

Thanks. SO K&N or Motorcraft? I can't really figure out which?

You can really go wrong with OE.

There's no need to shell out the extra bucks for the K&N unless you consider your car a severe duty machine.

If you beat on it like it were a Police cruiser or other fleet vehicle, consider K&N. Otherwise, it's like bringing an AR-15 to a fist fight.

OE? Haha okay thanks! I just ordered the Motorcraft, I think I've been using WIX or something. I service mine every 5k miles, is that good or should I go for 2k?

Also, when I'm getting on the gas, when I first start it and get it going, there's sorta like a.. eaahh sound? Sorry lol I don't know how to explain it, it doesn't really sound bad, almost like its the transmission or something?

Edited by _12380

OE? Haha okay thanks! I just ordered the Motorcraft, I think I've been using WIX or something. I service mine every 5k miles, is that good or should I go for 2k?

Also, when I'm getting on the gas, when I first start it and get it going, there's sorta like a.. eaahh sound? Sorry lol I don't know how to explain it, it doesn't really sound bad, almost like its the transmission or something?

5K is just fine. With the filter and oil combo set by Ford, you should theoretically go 10,000 miles. So between 5K and 10K is good. If in doubt, check the oil.

You don't deliver pizzas in that thing do ya? :)

Currently I've been using the WIX filter, and don't know what oil.

Can you suggest me some good filters and oil?

Thanks.

Came across this article on oil filters, Motorcraft didn't come out as a good filter, In the link below click on the " filter gradesheet" for results and grading of filters. Personally I use WIX in my other vehicles and small engines. I have my oil changed at the dealer who use Motorcraft.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

Edited by 1duFos
  • Like 1

Came across this article on oil filters, Motorcraft didn't come out as a good filter, In the link below click on the " filter gradesheet" for results and grading of filters. Personally I use WIX in my other vehicles and small engines. I have my oil changed at the dealer who use Motorcraft.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilterstudy.html

That is likely a WIX filter branded Motorcraft for a GM application. Not too much of a concern for us.

The filters for Ford applications are built to Ford specifications. They were designed to provide superior filtering protection, adequate flow characteristics with quality bypass valves and high case strength. They represent the best quality you can buy for the price for the Ford appications. There may be filters that will remove smaller particles, but they may also clog faster and go to bypass mode (like no filter at all.) It's a balance in design elements and cost elenents. The Ford advantage is that they can keep the cost reasonable for a very high grade filter because they use millions of them.

• Like 1

That is likely a WIX filter branded Motorcraft for a GM application. Not too much of a concern for us.

The filters for Ford applications are built to Ford specifications. They were designed to provide superior filtering protection, adequate flow characteristics with quality bypass valves and high case strength. They represent the best quality you can buy for the price for the Ford appications. There may be filters that will remove smaller particles, but they may also clog faster and go to bypass mode (like no filter at all.) It's a balance in design elements and cost elenents. The Ford advantage is that they can keep the cost reasonable for a very high grade filter because they use millions of them.

Well put.

An account of mine runs 211 Ford Edge Taxis in New York,He used aftermarket filters and it cost him 2-engines last week,1-2008,1-2009,the filter cans developed pinholes and they lost all of the oil, His first change was to replace all of the aftermarket stuff with Motorcraft, Marty

An account of mine runs 211 Ford Edge Taxis in New York,He used aftermarket filters and it cost him 2-engines last week,1-2008,1-2009,the filter cans developed pinholes and they lost all of the oil, His first change was to replace all of the aftermarket stuff with Motorcraft, Marty

Do you know what brand of Aftermarket?

There's some that will exceed OE specs and some that don't.

Pinholes in the metallic canister means they had to be uber cheap.