Road noise..Car or Tiers?

jlineman

I have a 2008 Edge that we bought new and now has 39,000 miles on it. I have long questioned the amount of road noise the car generates. I wondered more after buying a 2010 Ford F-150 which is quiet as a church mouse. I understand the two vehicles are different, as in wheel base and front wheel drive but would like some opinions.

The Edge came with Michelin P-245/60 R18 Latitude Tour HP that get rotated every 6000 miles and are holding up very well. It just seems that there is more road noise than what I would like. I read somewhere that the Latitude regular tire rather than the HP was more quiet? Any opinions or experience with other tires on the Edge would be appreciated.

Is it the tires OR the nature of the car?

Thanks

I have a 2008 Edge that we bought new and now has 39,000 miles on it. I have long questioned the amount of road noise the car generates. I wondered more after buying a 2010 Ford F-150 which is quiet as a church mouse. I understand the two vehicles are different, as in wheel base and front wheel drive but would like some opinions.

The Edge came with Michelin P-245/60 R18 Latitude Tour HP that get rotated every 6000 miles and are holding up very well. It just seems that there is more road noise than what I would like. I read somewhere that the Latitude regular tire rather than the HP was more quiet? Any opinions or experience with other tires on the Edge would be appreciated.

Is it the tires OR the nature of the car?

Thanks

I have the same tires on my 09 and have wondered the same thing. Lots of road noise.

A bad wheel bearing will cause a lot more road noise also.

Nope...no bad wheel bearing...just road noise. Can't figure out if it's just the car, short wheel base and no isolation from the tires OR the tires themselves. The noise will intensify or decrease with changing road surfaces but certainly not as quiet as I would expect. I'm hoping for another 20,000 out of the tires and will be trying to research, with help from the forum, which would be a good and more quiet tire. I had some Michelin LTX-MS tires on my previous truck and they were the best tires I have ever had but don't know how they would do on the Edge?

A bad wheel bearing will cause a lot more road noise also.

Nope...no bad wheel bearing...just road noise. Can't figure out if it's just the car, short wheel base and no isolation from the tires OR the tires themselves. The noise will intensify or decrease with changing road surfaces but certainly not as quiet as I would expect. I'm hoping for another 20,000 out of the tires and will be trying to research, with help from the forum, which would be a good and more quiet tire. I had some Michelin LTX-MS tires on my previous truck and they were the best tires I have ever had but don't know how they would do on the Edge?

I had alot of noise on my 07 Edge starting at 30,000 mi. Thought it was either the tires or rear wheel bearing. Replaced the OEM

Conti's last week with the Mich LTX-MS. No more noise.

That's interesting! The Mich LTX-MS is the first one for me to consider. Like I said, I had them on a pick-up and loved them. How do the handle on the front wheel drive Edge?

That's interesting! The Mich LTX-MS is the first one for me to consider. Like I said, I had them on a pick-up and loved them. How do the handle on the front wheel drive Edge?

They handle fine. I looked at alot of tire reviews online and they were 99% positive. The road noise I had was very noticable even on smooth interstate highway.

They handle fine. I looked at alot of tire reviews online and they were 99% positive. The road noise I had was very noticable even on smooth interstate highway.

The problem is that vehicles without separate frames (unibody) will always have more road noise than vehicles with a frame such as a pick-up--- Tires make a lot of noise if they are of a compound thet has decent longevity and traction. The edge is a crossover and has no separate frame. I think it is exceptionally quiet compared to some other unibody crossovers, but I could be wrong--- Seems like the vehicle manufacturers are getting better on noise control with the newer products and I simply haven't driven anything past mu 08 edge.

• 5 months later...

I put LTX tires on our 08 MKX and they are great and they came with a 60,000 wearout warranty. Much better than the original Latitude which wore out after 35000 miles.

My wife test drove the Edge and MKX and she said the MKX was quieter than the Edge so that is why we bought the MKX)

One thing I've commented on before, and I realize Ford did some extra sound deadening development with the 2012's, is how very very quiet the Edge is. Even my wife, who rarely notices anything about cars other than they "go" or not LOL, mentioned it's quietness. Have winter tires on there now, known for higher road noise, and it's still just barely perceptible at highway speeds.

Edited by Scorpio